• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two pilgrims rescued on the Primitivo

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi. I am having a difficult time trying to decipher Spanish especially since I know very few words. And my computer has let me down as far as working as my translator.
I'm trying... but in the meantime, could you or any one translate this for me. I would like to know why they needed rescuing?
Gracias
Marigold Mama

Dang did I put this message in the wrong spot AGAIN! Let's go through this one more time...
Hi.
I am having a difficult time trying to decipher Spanish especially since I know very few words. And my computer has let me down as far as working as my translator.
I'm trying... but in the meantime, could/would you or any one translate this for me. I would like to know why they needed rescuing?
Gracias
Marigold Mama
Basically what Sabine posted, plus the fact that the newspaper makes a point of stating that the couple did not obey the instructions of the rescuers who had told them to stay put after getting the 911 call.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dang did I put this message in the wrong spot AGAIN! Let's go through this one more time...
Hi. I am having a difficult time trying to decipher Spanish especially since I know very few words. And my computer has let me down as far as working as my translator.
I'm trying... but in the meantime, could/would you or any one translate this for me. I would like to know why they needed rescuing? Gracias
Marigold Mama
I don't know about the wrong spot - you have posted twice on this thread, which seems to be the thread you wanted! :)

The article said that they were disoriented (and presumably lost) because of fog. The responders told them to stay where they were, but they walked on and eventually were found.

I don't know about the wrong spot - you have posted twice on this thread, which seems to be the thread you wanted! :)

The article said that they were disoriented (and presumably lost) because of fog. The responders told them to stay where they were, but they walked on and eventually were found.
Thank you that helps me a whole lotta.

The translation two pilgrims who were lost in the fog
Firefighters found hikers on a road to Allande
07.08.2017 | 21:00
2017.08.07-rescate-de-montana-en-allande.jpg

Rescued two pilgrims who were lost in the fog

Firefighters from the Emergency Service of the Principality of Asturias (SEPA), based in the park of Grandas de Salime, have located two pilgrims who were disoriented by the fog when they were making the Camino de Santiago by the council of Allande.

The two walkers, a man and a woman of 39 years of age, were located about 2.4 kilometers from the town of Cabral in the council allandés. Still cold and nervous, the couple were in perfect shape. The firefighters moved them to the shelter of pilgrims located in the town of Berducedo.

The Emergency Coordination Center of 112 Asturias received the notice at 17:16. The call, made by the pilgrims, enters without coverage. They explained that they had been disoriented by the fog. They thought they were 4 kilometers from the town of Santa Coloma. They were well equipped. From the 112 Asturias they were told that they will not continue walking and that every 15 minutes, when not having coverage, they would be in contact with 112.

At that moment the firefighters of the park of Grandas de Salime were mobilized and the Civil Guard was informed.

At 17.51 hours, those affected again contact the emergency service. They say that they have moved a little and indicate that they believe that they are arriving at Bustantigo and Peñafeita.

Finally at 18.44 hours, despite the indications, the couple continued walking and managed to have coverage on their mobile phone. When they were sending their location to the SEPA they were located by the firemen who transferred them to Berducedo.

After leaving the pilgrims at 19.32 in the shelter the staff returned to their base. Firefighters arrived at the park at 20.09.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm puzzled by all this ...

And this is exactly why I don't believe in ultralight travel

I carry one of those silver emergency blankets. They pack up very small and can be used in a situation such as this or when helping another injured traveller.

According to the news they were found in Cabral. So, apparently they were doing Hospiitales and when they got to the road in Alto de la Marta they followed the road (right) instead of crossing it and follow the Camino towards Puerto del Palo (left).

"At 17.51 hours, those affected again contact the emergency service. They say that they have moved a little and indicate that they believed that they are arriving at Bustantigo and Peñafeita." ???!!!.

Did they have a GPS?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is good to hear that these two were safe and did manage to pick up a phone signal to call for help.
It is not clear whether the conditions came on or whether these two walked regardless of the mist/low cloud. (No criticism intended.)
Our guide book gave clear instructions to avoid Hospitales in bad weather and even from Pola de Allande to walk the road in poor visibility as the markers where the track is crossing the road could be lost. Stay safe and take this rescue as a warning if bad weather is forecast or comes on after you start walking.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I just checked the the weather report for the area since I couldn't understand how this couple was cold in mid afternoon in August. Highest temp today in Poladura is 11C!!!! Wow. I wonder how those refusing to carry anything but a liner are liking these temps! :eek:

I don't know why anyone would attempt the Hospitales route unless you have perfect weather conditions. This was a daily discussion at 5pm coffee/treats/conversation time with all pilgrims staying at Grado
Anne and I hosted took the warning seriously.

Last edited:
I think that they walked the road that goes to Cabral and Bustandingo, because actually there is no alternative. There is a very steep slope on the left side of that road very difficult to walk even without fog.
The thing is that this road has almost zero traffic and probably they didn´t see any car to ask for help, so finally they became nervous and called 112, but never were in real danger. That is my opinion.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
According to the news they were found in Cabral. So, apparently they were doing Hospiitales and when they got to the road in Alto de la Marta they followed the road (right) instead of crossing it and follow the Camino towards Puerto del Palo (left).

"At 17.51 hours, those affected again contact the emergency service. They say that they have moved a little and indicate that they believed that they are arriving at Bustantigo and Peñafeita." ???!!!.

Did they have a GPS?
That's sounds about right. Weird. The sign is easy seen when you hit the road. It's only about 20 ft away and the trail is easily seen. Sounds more like distracted hikers who never looked at the guide books that tell you to cross the road :) At least they are safe. I think it's funny that in the picture there is high ceiling and no heavy clouds. And they are wearing shorts. So if they got cold they couldn't put on pants and a warm layer? Hmmm.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's sounds about right. Weird. The sign is easy seen when you hit the road. It's only about 20 ft away and the trail is easily seen. Sounds more like distracted hikers who never looked at the guide books that tell you to cross the road :) At least they are safe. I think it's funny that in the picture there is high ceiling and no heavy clouds. And they are wearing shorts. So if they got cold they couldn't put on pants and a warm layer? Hmmm.
I had a cloud come in when I was on top of the Hospitales route, and visibility was nil, when seconds before the weather had been ideal. As the cloud came in I hurried to put my back against the wall of one of the stone ruins to at least be protected on one side.

So I am not surprised they may have been disorinted by the fog. But the advise when that happens is to stay put. The cliffs up there are steep!

Also, I doubt very much the rescue teams would have gone out to look for them if the sky had been clear.

As for what they are wearing, well, I suppose that they figured we are at the height of summer and would not need warm clothes. The current temps up there are very very unusual, but still not a good idea in my book, ever. Long pants, light fleece, a long sleeve Tshirt, and an altus poncho regardles of where and when on Caminos. And that also goes for something more than a sleeping liner.

The article say that "They were well equipped." Fog can be disorienting - could happen to any of us.

The article say that "They were well equipped." Fog can be disorienting - could happen to any of us.
Yes, getting disoriented in fog can happen to anyone. Calling for an emergency response hopefully wouldn't be the normal response. A well equipped Pilgrim, would get off of the road and stop. They would have snacks/food, water, sleeping bag or liner (temperature of 9 C (48 F) , raingear, windbreaker, extra socks, whatever for more clothing. They are not going to freeze to death, starve or dehydrate. They were young, presumably in fair health, this is not an emergency to me. An emergency is a matter of possible life or death. To change location after calling for assistance only adds to problem.
Calling for an emergency response in the case of severe weather conditions exposes the emergency responders to the same hazards posed by the conditions.
Any Pilgrim needs to show a bit of self reliance.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm puzzled by all this ...

And this is exactly why I don't believe in ultralight travel

The Primitivo is very , very , very different to Camino Frances,.
One is a walk in the park.
They were also well equipped according to the article.

Yes, getting disoriented in fog can happen to anyone. Calling for an emergency response hopefully wouldn't be the normal response. A well equipped Pilgrim, would get off of the road and stop. They would have snacks/food, water, sleeping bag or liner (temperature of 9 C (48 F) , raingear, windbreaker, extra socks, whatever for more clothing. They are not going to freeze to death, starve or dehydrate. They were young, presumably in fair health, this is not an emergency to me. An emergency is a matter of possible life or death. To change location after calling for assistance only adds to problem.
Calling for an emergency response in the case of severe weather conditions exposes the emergency responders to the same hazards posed by the conditions.
Any Pilgrim needs to show a bit of self reliance.

Severe fog in that area is very common and more severe than Napoleon or Aubrac.
Better to be safe than sorry however immaturity shown by moving positions.

The Primitivo is very , very , very different to Camino Frances,.
One is a walk in the park.
They were also well equipped according to the article.
Did some research on that route and yes, you are right ... all my research so far has been on the Camino Frances. I'm still saving up to go on my trip. My nephews were scared of mountain fog when they visited us here the first time. Fog can be spooky to city dwellers.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just walked Camino Primitivo in May while revising the Confraternity of St James guide book. I did the Hospitales Route in inclement weather as I was well-equipped. I agree pilgrims need to be self-reliant. I hope to convey that in the new edition of the Camino Primitivo guide book. Any suggestions?

I have been trying to find a Google Maps or GPS track for the Hospitales route. Would be nice to know where I'm going if I encounter a heavy fog, but worst case I guess I would turn around and descend, or if it was that dodgy, pitch tent and wait it out. I guess a guide book is a must for this route.

Glad they got off without any injuries, but why they must have gone up knowing the weather was possibly going to be off. I checked the weather online, on most days, prior to walking.

I have been trying to find a Google Maps or GPS track for the Hospitales route. Would be nice to know where I'm going if I encounter a heavy fog, but worst case I guess I would turn around and descend, or if it was that dodgy, pitch tent and wait it out. I guess a guide book is a must for this route.

Glad they got off without any injuries, but why they must have gone up knowing the weather was possibly going to be off. I checked the weather online, on most days, prior to walking.
Well...

You don't need a guide or GPS track for the hospitales route as it's just a path up a mountain, with cliffs on both sides. The guides don't have anything to add other than the names of the ruins.

Because of those cliffs, if and when the fog rolls in, staying put is the only way to go. Losing your footing on those slippery loose rock paths is just too risky when visibility is nill.

As for checking the weather, yes, but even then you can get caught. When I got to the base of the mountain I was not sure if I should go up or not. It was a nice enough day, but there were clouds. I finally found a local farmer and asked for her opinion. She told me I woyld be hard pressed to get better conditions. So up I went. But then a cloud rolled in, very quickly. I went from perfect visibility for kms around to not being able to see 2-3meters in front of me in a mater of 10-15 seconds. While I still could see, I made my way to one of the ruins to be out of the way shoyld anyone be coming up, and to at least have protection feom the cold and winds from one side.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Our experience of the Puerto de Palo is that there can be clear sky until around lunchtime, then the clouds roll in. So it is possible to start the days walk and then get caught out by fog/low cloud. We walked over Puerto de Palo (from Pola de Allande) at mid-day in sunshine, looking back around 2.00pm the hilltops were all in the clouds.
If poor weather is forecast then the Hospitales route has its dangers. Setting off late can also bring the hazard of walking into the ealy afternoon cloud build up, which may be fairly common. Others living more locally might be able to comment on this.
Personally we would not walk without a guide book as it gives the alternatives and often safety advice.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Lets call a spade a spade. if the people in the photo are the ones who got into trouble,there is now way their well equipped, unless the rest of their gear was shipped on to the next Albergue.
They are idiot's equipped for a walk in a city park,who have no regard for anyone, hence moving on after calling the emergency services. I hope they were charged for the services provided.

Personally we would not walk without a guide book as it gives the alternatives and often safety advice.
Tia Valeria, I am curious, what alternatives would a guidebook give? I can't think of any once you decide to climb up.

Tia Valeria, I am curious, what alternatives would a guidebook give? I can't think of any once you decide to climb up.
You have to decide at the split, and then also if the weather is bad at the road up to Puerto de Palo (from Pola). The alternative is given of walking the road, not the tracks where it is possible to lose the arrows/mojones at the crossings as the track cuts the corners off the zig-zags. Other places also have alternatives and also cycists alternatives. (CSJ guide to the Primitivo.).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Speaking of guidebooks... I used the Confraternity of St James Camino Primitivo guide. And here is another good on-line map with notes:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1f9I3xhlVFGVCI-fLn4h9VK3cMPo&ll=43.33176460043873,-6.589111347460857&z=14

I agree with pilgr, "There are some steep parts to the trek, but nothing too crazy." I didn't see any section “with cliffs on both sides." Of course the wind-driven rain was pounding me horizontally... could have made for some visibility issues. :)

Basically what Sabine posted, plus the fact that the newspaper makes a point of stating that the couple did not obey the instructions of the rescuers who had told them to stay put after getting the 911 call.
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate all the help from all you gracious Forum Members.
MM

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Thank you. I appreciate your response and the information from you.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back