Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two questions about Primitivo?

Marina Zd

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April 2016.
Camino Primitivo May 2018.
I'm starting Primitivo on April 27th, and although this is not my first Camino, I feel excited and scared like the first time.
Anyhow, I have 2 questions about Primitivo: what is the highest elevation on Primitivo (on Frances it was 1750 m - if a remember correctly)? And, what part of Primitivo was the most difficult for you?
And third question: I don't have to be terrified about Primitivo, right? Right?! :oops:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't know how high the mountains were. You could easily find that yourself. The length and the steepness of the ascends and descends seem to me to be more important. There are a few hard climbs, but they are doable for anyone with reasonable fitness. The long descend (600 altitude meters) to Grandma de Saline was not very bed. I remember a very steep descent with loose stones and rocks on the stage after Borres ( after the spot where the Hospitalesroute and the route via Pola de. Alliander converge) As far as I remember it would be possible to follow the road. In this case it might be a good alternative.
I liked the Primitivo very much.

Hi Marina!!

First: Don't be terrified!! :):):) Be sure that there is no reason for that!!

Max. elevation I think it is around 1.200 m (I am not fully sure ... but for sure it is not too high).

The most difficult stage is Borres - Berducedo, mostly if you take the way through Pola de Allande. If you take the way through Hospitales, it is a little better, but you have to be prepared for 20 km (+/-) without any bar, restaurant, etc... In my opinion ... It fully deserves to take Hospitales, no because it is easier but because the landscape.

I am sure you will enjoy that Camino!!

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm starting Primitivo on April 27th, and although this is not my first Camino, I feel excited and scared like the first time.
Anyhow, I have 2 questions about Primitivo: what is the highest elevation on Primitivo (on Frances it was 1750 m - if a remember correctly)? And, what part of Primitivo was the most difficult for you?
And third question: I don't have to be terrified about Primitivo, right? Right?! :oops:
IMG_20171001_103854.jpg

Puerto de Palo is 1,140mts above sea level. Total climb is about 800mts coming from Pola de Allande and less over Hospitales. Because of the wet we walked the road from Pola to the point where the Camino crosses it and then the track so again the climb was less as we had not gone down first into the valley.

No, you don't have to be terrified. I did not take the Hospitales route (heavy fog, and the local bar keeper did not recommend it) though, and I believe that would be the most difficult day. The Primitivo is a beautiful route, and I enjoyed the fact that there were far fewer pilgrims walking. As said previously, the route from the summit of the Hospitales down into Berducedo is a bit difficult as is a steep downhill section with loose stones. The hardest part for me was the shock of coming from such a quiet, peaceful route and joining the Francés at Melide.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I really enjoyed walking the Primitivo last May. The scenery was beautiful, the path was more natural (especially in the first part), it was not crowded but there were enough people each night for me to never feel lonely.
However, it is a tougher walk than the Frances. A hill a day, I decided early on. Not a mountain, which means you go up-up-up-up-up then down-down-down-down-down but still a sizeable hill going up--up-up then down-down-down. Think Alto de Perdón or the climb to O'Cebreiro. Take it steadily if you need to.
The toughest part for me was not the hills, but the couple of days when I did more km than I really wanted to - for example, the day I walked the Hospitales route. Albergues are not so plentiful as on the Frances, as you probably already know.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hmmm, I'm not sure whether I feel encouraged now or even more frightened :D Just kidding, thank you all for such encouraging words... I think I will love Primitivo!
It's not that Hard But with Long distance without any supply in between. Take your time and enough food and Drink. You gonna Enjoy the views up there.

http://www.mundicamino.com ,this is a REAAALLY good guide, it is in spanish but you can change the language, it describes each stage with maps an gradients , albergues, etc, give it a look

I too, was nervous about the Primitivo, but I had veered off from the Norte so probably had stronger legs by then. My most difficult memory was a very steep, straight downhill stretch walking on a cascade of uniformly big rocks alongside some powerlines. It probably was specifically made for the trucks of electrical workers who service the lines. This is most likely the same one others here have referred to. I would never have managed navigating this extreme downhill without hiking poles! T

That said, I did love the Primitivo!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For me one of the difficult days was the long 30+ km stretch into Lugo (can't remember where we stayed the night before, but that was in the heat of the summer. But all in all it was one of my favorite caminos and I would most certainly do it again.

For me one of the difficult days was the long 30+ km stretch into Lugo (can't remember where we stayed the night before, but that was in the heat of the summer. But all in all it was one of my favorite caminos and I would most certainly do it again.
We split that 'stage'. Cadabo to Castroverde, then Castroverde to Lugo. At the time there was just a B&B in Castroverde but I think there is more accomodation (albergue??) now.
We had the CSJ guide and also use gronze for updates re albergues etc. One of the good things about the CSJ guide was that it gave the route but not split into suggested stages so we were free to decide our own.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So many useful tips! Thank you all!
I should have put the link to Gronze so here it is. Gronze - Camino Primitivo
The albergues etc are listed under each stage and their names are also then links to further details about them - facilities etc.
Buen Camino

Fabulous walk but you do tend to start each day with a climb and finish ......with a climb! But that said being able to walk the Hospitales route on a clear day will always be one of my cherished Camino memories.
Enjoy this wonderful route and if you have time, as I was advised, try the Salvador as a warm up.
Buen camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I feel excited and scared like the first time.

I'm so glad I'm not alone with those feelings! I'm starting on the 17th April... and I'm also worried about the ascents and perhaps more, the descents. I've switched plans from walking the CF from Burgos to the Primitivo but I feel rather unprepared and nervous... I'm taking some confidence from these replies... but I'm still everso slightly terrified :eek:

Wishing you a great walk!

I'm so glad I'm not alone with those feelings! I'm starting on the 17th April... and I'm also worried about the ascents and perhaps more, the descents. I've switched plans from walking the CF from Burgos to the Primitivo but I feel rather unprepared and nervous... I'm taking some confidence from these replies... but I'm still everso slightly terrified :eek:

Wishing you a great walk!
Well, wishing you a great walk, too! Buen Camino, peregrina! ;)

Fabulous walk but you do tend to start each day with a climb and finish ......with a climb! But that said being able to walk the Hospitales route on a clear day will always be one of my cherished Camino memories.
Enjoy this wonderful route and if you have time, as I was advised, try the Salvador as a warm up.
Buen camino

Unfortunately, I don't have time for Salvador, even though my first plan was to do Salvador and Primitivo. But this year I can escape from work only for 14 days so I guess it would be enough time for Primitivo. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No, you don't have to be terrified. I did not take the Hospitales route (heavy fog, and the local bar keeper did not recommend it) though, and I believe that would be the most difficult day. The Primitivo is a beautiful route, and I enjoyed the fact that there were far fewer pilgrims walking. As said previously, the route from the summit of the Hospitales down into Berducedo is a bit difficult as is a steep downhill section with loose stones. The hardest part for me was the shock of coming from such a quiet, peaceful route and joining the Francés at Melide.
Boy I can relate to that. I went from the Norte and had to cut down to the Frances and it is an unpleasant shock, although the octupus in Melide is good

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
No reason to be terrified. It's just a hike through beautiful scenery. Depending on how fast/long you walk be aware that you will go many kilometers without food and water sources. You will need to be prepared to carry more water than yo did on the Frances. Especially if it's a hot day. I carried 3 liters every day and ran low on 2 occasions. Locals gave us water happily. We had some really hot days last May and we drank a lot of water to keep from dehydrating. The Hospitales route is very pretty. That is definitely a very long day in terms of distance.

No reason to be terrified. It's just a hike through beautiful scenery. Depending on how fast/long you walk be aware that you will go many kilometers without food and water sources. You will need to be prepared to carry more water than yo did on the Frances. Especially if it's a hot day. I carried 3 liters every day and ran low on 2 occasions. Locals gave us water happily. We had some really hot days last May and we drank a lot of water to keep from dehydrating. The Hospitales route is very pretty. That is definitely a very long day in terms of distance.
Thanks for advice... and is there enough shops where I can supply myself with food for a walk that day? Or bars where I can eat during the day? I know that the bars are not so frequent as on Frances, but still - do I need to buy food before starting the day, or there is a shops or bars on the way where I can make a break and eat? And drink coffee (and coffee is most important of all ;))?

There are a limited number of shops and bars and they are mostly in the towns not the smaller villages.Our old CSJ guide to the Primitivo gave a list of where there were shops/bars. Even so we carried enough water and some food with us in case it was a rest day and they were closed.
The latest guide (2013 edition) is currently out of stock but maybe you can borrow one if you live near to another Primitivo pilgrim.
@ebrandt has an online guide which would be worth checking out, but I don't know if it includes bars/shops.

If ordering - I think they mainly send items out on a Thursday when the office is open although online orders can be made at any time.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are a limited number of shops and bars and they are mostly in the towns not the smaller villages.Our old CSJ guide to the Primitivo gave a list of where there were shops/bars. Even so we carried enough water and some food with us in case it was a rest day and they were closed.
The latest guide (2013 edition) is currently out of stock but maybe you can borrow one if you live near to another Primitivo pilgrim.
@ebrandt has an online guide which would be worth checking out, but I don't know if it includes bars/shops.

If ordering - I think they mainly send items out on a Thursday when the office is open although online orders can be made at any time.
I've already bought a guide for Camino Primitivo from this forum store (from Ivar), but I haven't noticed that there are mentioned the shops along the way. I will check again and carefully!

I've already bought a guide for Camino Primitivo from this forum store (from Ivar), but I haven't noticed that there are mentioned the shops along the way. I will check again and carefully!
From memory:-
there are shops in Grado; Salas; La Espina; Tineo; Campiello; Pola de Allande (non-Hospitales route); Berducedo; Grandas de Salime; A Fonsagrada; O Cadavo; Castroverde; Lugo; These places also have bars but there are not many in the small villages.
After Lugo we found the bar at San Roman closed but the O Candido (private albergue) would order a meal if booked before 6pm (18.00). Then we turned to Palas de Rei and shops from there onward are more frequent.

I agree with Tia Valeria. During the day there few places to buy food. We always ate breakfast in the albergue from stuff we purchased the night before. We also always carried lunch. One day we ran out of water because the only bar in town was closed on Mondays. Thank goodness for the old lady sitting looking out her window for pilgrims and of offering to fill up bottles and bladders. You just need to plan ahead.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On Frances the least worry was where to eat, bars and shops were almost everywhere :D Ok, so I will have to be well prepared for Primitivo!
But then again, I believe that Camino take care of its pilgrims, so when you need something, Camino will provide it somehow... just need to look around for that old lady sitting by the window! ;)

... just need to look around for that old lady sitting by the window! ;)
And if a lady leans out of her window and tells you 'El Camino es feo' near Santa Eulalia, about 6kms from Tineo, then listen to her and go on the road through Sta Eulalia itself and on to Tineo. Only about 3.5kms to Tineo that way, but more important it avoids the mud-bath on the track. (See the current thread 'Live from the Camino Primitivo' - post#6)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You will LOVE it! It's just wonderful. The route, the people, the hospilateros especially. I found the Salvador a great "leg stretch" for the Primitivo. And if you get the weather you might consider the Hospitales walk on the Primitivo - definitely a " if it's okay"(I believe)
And you must check out the annual festival in Oviedo in Sept, it's such a vibrant city and the festival is wonderful!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back