Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims
By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign

Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Using iphone or iPad? Add forum icon to your home screen. Here is how to do it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Over 10 years of Camino Q&As in one place. Sign Up and plan your camino with us. It's free!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Two questions - Albergue etiquette and credenciales!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Topics' started by Nephelokokkygia, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Nephelokokkygia

Nephelokokkygia New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (April-May 2017)
    Good morning everybody,

There are probably already several threads out there regarding this but I wanted to ask:

1) Might sound like a daft question but are we to leave the details section of one's credencial blank until filled out at the cathedral in Santiago, and does it have to be stamped twice a day if you're doing the full SJPP-Santiago walk?

2) When you've checked in to an albergue, although I'm aware most of them won't allow packs on the bed, is it still considered normal/safe to leave your pack there if you're heading out in to the village, town or city you're staying in?

2. dougfitz

dougfitz Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino France (Mar 2010, May/Jun 2016), Camino Salvado (Sep 2011), St Olav's Way (Jun 2012), Camino Ingles and Camino Finisterre (via Muxia) (Apr 2014), St Olav's Way (~Jul 2018)
    The credencial details should be filled out where you start, other, obviously, than the finish date. The Pilgrim Office advice is
    On the matter of stamps, this is what the Pilgrim Office website states:
    Many people will tell you that they have received their Compostela with only one stamp per day. I did in 2010. But it is quite easy to collect two or more stamps a day, even before the final 100km, and it makes sure that there is no question about this when you do get to the Pilgrim Office.

3. C clearly

C clearly Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Astorga-SdC (Nov 2012). SJPP-Sahagun (Oct 2014). SJPP-SdC (Oct 2015). Parts of VdlP, and Leon-SdC (Mar 2016). Seville-?? (Mar 2017)
    Welcome! To answer your second question first... yes, it is normal to leave your backpack near your bed while you go out and about the town. Just be sure to carry valuables such as phone, passport, bank cards and money on your person at all times.

About the credential and the stamps, DougFitz (above) has referred you to the precise information. The official rule is simple: Get 2 stamps per day on the last 100 km. In theory, it doesn't matter what you do before that (if all you want is the Compostela, not the certificate of distance). In practice, the person issuing the credential usually has some discretion in deciding if you have provided enough evidence that you walked the required distance.

4. dougfitz

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino France (Mar 2010, May/Jun 2016), Camino Salvado (Sep 2011), St Olav's Way (Jun 2012), Camino Ingles and Camino Finisterre (via Muxia) (Apr 2014), St Olav's Way (~Jul 2018)
    It is important to get a stamp at places before the last 1ookm if you want to get the certificate of distance for all the distance that you have walked. Other that that, as @C clearly says, it is the evidence that you walked the last 100 km that counts.

falcon269 and C clearly like this.
  5. C clearly

Camino(s) past & future:
    Astorga-SdC (Nov 2012). SJPP-Sahagun (Oct 2014). SJPP-SdC (Oct 2015). Parts of VdlP, and Leon-SdC (Mar 2016). Seville-?? (Mar 2017)
    Yes, good point. I have edited my answer to be more complete, in case someone doesn't read down to your post.

Sallyann1966 and dougfitz like this.
  6. MikeJS

MikeJS Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Francis (2011), Norte (2012), VdlP (Apr 2016). Next - Sureste or Levante?
    I have walked 3 caminos and never got 2 stamps a day. Normally only get a stamp at each albergue. Never had a problem getting the certificates at the end.

HedaP, Veronicad1, tpmchugh and 4 others like this.
  7. falcon269

falcon269 no commercial interests

Camino(s) past & future:
    yes
    How disappointed would you have been if a very rules oriented clerk had been working that day and denied you the compostela? Since it takes no effort to get two sellos in the last 100 km, I suggest following the rules (unless defying rules is part of your psyche). :)

8. Stivandrer

Stivandrer Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Francés May 2014
    Haervejen Southbound, Jutland, Denmark July2015
    Haervejen Southbound, Jutland, Denmark July 2016
    Camino Frances (april/ May 2017)
    It is down to your honesat face.....

Sallyann1966, kelleymac and AbbyDee like this.
  9. Saint Mike II

Saint Mike II Vetran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Mozarabe/Via de la Plata - May 2013; cycled from Pamplona to Santiago Sep 2015; now planning to walk from St Jean to Santiago - starting May 1, 2017
    Hola @falcon269, it is (was) my understanding that the two stamps per day specifically applies to those pilgrims who start around Sarria!

I started in Pamplona and only on rare occasions did I get two stamps west of Sarria. (BTW is was very clear on my credenciale where I started from so maybe this error was ignored. I also was on a bike which I had indicated on the passport.)

10. dougfitz

Camino(s) past & future:
    The Pilgrim Office rules do not establish a specific pattern for those who walk further than the minimum. It establishes a minimum requirement from 100 km - two stamps a day for everyone who walks, 200km for cyclists.

Ps - the rules are applied by humans, with all the vagaries implied in that.
    Pps edited to add cyclists. Thank you FLEUR.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Camino Chris and Eve Alexandra like this.
  11. FLEUR

FLEUR Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances 2012 - 2016
    I believe cyclists need to have pedalled the last 200km in order to qualify for their compostele

AbbyDee likes this.
  12. Camino Chris

Camino Chris Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (April/May 2017)
    I was ignorant of the rules on my first Camino in 2015, so only got one stamp per day, starting in SJPdP. I was issued a credential in Santiago, but the person filling out my certificate did scrutinize my passport closely and at the time I wondered why. I consider myself rather fortunate. I will be going again this spring and will make sure I get two stamps per day from Sarria on "just to be sure".

HedaP, SEB and Bozzie like this.
  13. C clearly

Camino(s) past & future:
    Your understanding is not correct. The requirements are clearly stated on the website. The pilgrim office and the volunteers may choose to enforce strictly or not. If you want to be confident of getting the compostella, you should follow the rules.

HedaP, Peter Fransiscus, SEB and 3 others like this.
  14. Saint Mike II

Saint Mike II Vetran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Mozarabe/Via de la Plata - May 2013; cycled from Pamplona to Santiago Sep 2015; now planning to walk from St Jean to Santiago - starting May 1, 2017
    OK - but it did not appear to matter the official in the Cathedral Office - I was given the full Compostela. I think I was asked if I had ridden the last 200 km to which I could truthfully reply YES. Will need to be more diligent when I walk the Frances in May - but think I might end up filling more than one credenciale - might have to staple them together. Cheers

Sallyann1966 and C clearly like this.
  15. joecamino

joecamino New Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    2017 CF
    I've seen point about "backpacks on bed" being a breach of etiquette; can anyone please share why?

Saint Mike II likes this.
  16. donalomahony

donalomahony Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    "Camino Frances" 2013, "Burgos to Leon," February 2014 - "Frances" June '14
    Hi @joecamino

Three reasons

They carry dust and dirt

They may spread bedbugs

They may be wet from rain or sweat

Good manners says keep them on the floor so that tomorrow's pilgrim gets a clean bed.

D.

17. MikeJS

MikeJS Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Francis (2011), Norte (2012), VdlP (Apr 2016). Next - Sureste or Levante?
    Because you pack has been on lots of less dirty places and we don’t want the contamination on the beds. Same way I would never put my suitcase on my bed at home.

joecamino likes this.
  18. Stivandrer

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Francés May 2014
    ..and please do not use the chair that may be sitting at the end of your bunk to place your backpack permanently either.
    The chairs are for sharing, and for comfortably sitting when dressing or otherwise.
    If you do not want your bag to touch the ground for fear of critters, you might strap it to the end of the bed at your level.
    Usually the bunk beds are made of of metal, and I usually trust these to tether my rucksack here...

HedaP, joecamino and SEB like this.
  19. hecate105

hecate105 Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Portuguese, Norte, Litoral, Turonensis (2008) De Las Estrellas (2009) Via Aurelia (2014- )St Davids/Caldey Island (2016), Cadiz a Sevilla, Via de la Plata, Sanabres ( 2017)
    Rules were made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.... ;):confused::p:eek:

20. trecile

trecile Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances August - September(2016)
    July - August (2017) - Camino Frances to Leon, Salvador to Oviedo, Primitivo to Santiago and beyond...
    And also, please don't put your backpack at the base of the ladder that the person in the top bunk needs to use.

21. J F Gregory

J F Gregory Preparing for the Norte

Camino(s) past & future:
    March-April,2016 finished
    October- November 2017 to walk the Del Norte.
    I realize that we only have to have our credential stamped 2 times a day the last 100 km. I got mine stamped where ever I was at bars city halls and kept track of the place in my journal for future reference because of loosing my memory.

22. joecamino

Camino(s) past & future:
    2017 CF
    I like the idea of "stamps as memories of places." Is there enough room in passport if I went stamp crazy?

ChristinaD likes this.
  23. Tincatinker

Tincatinker Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances (2012); Muxia / Fisterra (2012); Ingles / Fisterra (2013) Del Salvador / Primitivo (2014)
    Joe, just get a couple of credencials, or three or four. You can fill them all up and then make a start on your notebook / guidebook / national passport (not advised) :cool:

hecate105, dougfitz and joecamino like this.
  24. Stivandrer

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Francés May 2014
    - Then you can buy another credential and glue them together....
    so stamp to your hearts delight...

HedaP and joecamino like this.
  25. Bradypus

Bradypus Antediluvian

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (1990, 2002 and 2016). Camino Ingles (2015). Camino Primitivo (2015). Canterbury to Rome (2015). Camino Portugues (2016). Sundsvall-Trondheim Olavsleden (May 2016). Camino Sanabres (2017). Swansea to Santiago in several stages over 25 years!
    ChristinaD and joecamino like this.
  26. joecamino

Camino(s) past & future:
    2017 CF
  27. Gillean

Gillean Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances, Fisterra, Muxia (2012), Camino Frances (2013), Via Podiensis, Camino Frances (2014), Via Augusta, Via de la Plata, Camino Sanabres (2015), Camino Portuguese (from Porto), Camino del Norte (to Oviedo), Camino Primitivo (2016)
    The fools usually think they are the wise ones. Maybe they are.

AbbyDee, hecate105 and dougfitz like this.
  28. Luther

Luther New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    April 20, 2016 to May 20, '16 SJPdP to Santiago d C.
    I left early in the AM from OPedrouza (before 6:00) and there just wasn't anything open to get a stamp. The trailside tents and stands weren't open, or the churches I passed, until I hit Santiago. As I stood in line at the Pilgrim's office I got worried that it would be a problem, but as I had started in SJPP, and had a second credential started, it was never questioned.

29. Ralph Keith Redhead

Ralph Keith Redhead New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Francés May-June 2016
    Hi Nephelokokkygia - the stamps are all unique, some quite grand and flamboyant, others special in other ways. It helps to have your Pass with you at all times - for example, at Pamplona Museum, you get free entry into the museum if you present your Pass and, of course, you get a grand stamp from the museum. Many places along the Way do this, and I like going through my Pass at home as it gives me reminders of all the special places along the way - cafes and restraurants will give you a stamp too, they're proud to do it! I got several stamps some days from all sorts of places, and tourist offices like to stamp your pass and take your info for statistical purposes. Obviously, at the smaller, quieter places there are less venues. If you think you would like to collect more stamps other than the regular ones, then take an extra pass or do as I do which is to photocopy blank pages and stick the copies in my pass. Never lose it, keep it safe and dry. Very best wishes. Buen Camino :)

30. Gareth Griffith

Gareth Griffith Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    SJPdP to Santiago de Compestela in May(2016)
    If you can get a stamp out of the hospitaleros at Granon you will be doing very well.

tpmchugh and bradwilliamseas like this.
  31. C clearly

Camino(s) past & future:
    I believe they have a policy of not having a stamp.

32. Gareth Griffith

Gareth Griffith Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    SJPdP to Santiago de Compestela in May(2016)
    That's why you'll be doing very well to get one!

Freewalker likes this.
  33. C clearly

Camino(s) past & future:
    Define "well" ! :p

34. AbbyDee

AbbyDee Court Jester

Camino(s) past & future:
    In celebration of the 35th anniversary of my 25th year, I will begin my Camino in September 2017
    Once more, something that "should" be obvious to everyone. :^)

35. trecile

Camino(s) past & future:
    July - August (2017) - Camino Frances to Leon, Salvador to Oviedo, Primitivo to Santiago and beyond...
    You'd think so! But on more than one occasion that's where the person in the bottom bunk put their backpack. :confused:

dougfitz and AbbyDee like this.
  36. dougfitz

Camino(s) past & future:
    Yes, common sense and what might be obvious are neither particularly common nor particularly obvious!

37. AbbyDee

AbbyDee Court Jester

Camino(s) past & future:
    In celebration of the 35th anniversary of my 25th year, I will begin my Camino in September 2017
    T'is ever the case.

38. Kelly Catlow

Kelly Catlow Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Walking Camino April 8th 2017 start date - excited much!!!
    I know the place you stay will give you a stamp but how do you get the second? Are there places to pop into?

39. AbbyDee

AbbyDee Court Jester

Camino(s) past & future:
    From what I have been given to understand, stamps are available in a lot of places: churches have them, some cafes and bars have them and I am sure there are many more!

Buen Camino!

40. gloria lowe

gloria lowe New Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    April 2017 or Sept 2017

41. gloria lowe

gloria lowe New Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    April 2017 or Sept 2017
    I just love to collect the stamps as some are so beautiful so I just get stamps anywhere. Going again May 9 from St Jean. Anyone else leaving that day?

42. Hutton24

Hutton24 Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances October 2013
    Camino Frances April 2017
    No. 1 - starting before Sarria you only need a stamp per day.
    No. 2 - Just take your most valuable items with you when you go out.

Have fun.

43. Camino Chris

Camino Chris Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (April/May 2017)
    Yes..., bars, restaurants and churches are all good places to collect additional stamps along the way.

AbbyDee likes this.
  44. dougfitz

Camino(s) past & future:
    This runs the risk of being misinterpreted. The Pilgrim Office web site is quite clear - you have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims). The web site is silent on how many stamps are needed before the last 100km. If you want the Certificate of Distance, you would need to provide some evidence of where you started (and where you might have missed).

Bala likes this.
  45. Hutton24

Hutton24 Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances October 2013
    Camino Frances April 2017
    Only going on what we were told back in 2013 and what we experienced - Sarria onwards you need two stamps per day.
    We always made sure we got at least one per day and we started in Pamplona and went all the way to SDC.

46. ELHS220

ELHS220 Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Francés (May-June 2015)

I have commented about "number of sellos" posts before, and will chime in again here. I went "sello berserk", filling seven credenciales and a part of an eighth. I then scanned each page, uploaded them to a commercial website, and had a nice 24"x36" poster made. I am planning to do the Camino a second time this year, starting in mid-May and fully intend to go sello berserk once again.

Attached Files:

47. Kelly Catlow

Kelly Catlow Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thank you xx

AbbyDee likes this.
  48. jsalt

jsalt Jill Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Portugués, Francés, Chemin du Puy, Rota Vicentina, Voie de Soulac, Norte
    Fabulous poster! And I like the Compostela being in the centre. Could you give the link to the website? I would love to do the same.
    Jill

kelleymac likes this.
  49. kelleymac

kelleymac Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    March/April 2015, Late April 2016
    They drew a heart in my credenciale. :)

Alan Pearce and C clearly like this.
  50. Kelly Catlow

Kelly Catlow Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Me too!!!

51. tpmchugh

tpmchugh Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2013)
    Camino Frances (2015)
    You get your stamp in Grañon at the shop facing the church. Her husband owns the albergue just up the street so I suppose its his way of making sure his wife gets good business

52. trecile

Camino(s) past & future:
    I got a stamp at one of the bars. They have it out on the counter and you stamp it yourself.

Bradypus likes this.
  53. Kelly Catlow

Kelly Catlow Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    How do you know where to get them? Is there a sign up the front?

54. Bradypus

Bradypus Antediluvian

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (1990, 2002 and 2016). Camino Ingles (2015). Camino Primitivo (2015). Canterbury to Rome (2015). Camino Portugues (2016). Sundsvall-Trondheim Olavsleden (May 2016). Camino Sanabres (2017). Swansea to Santiago in several stages over 25 years!
    Ernesto at La Casa de la Sonrisas told me that I could find one in the bar which must be about 20m from his door. No sign that I could see but almost every business along the CF has a sello - especially bars.

trecile likes this.
  55. trecile

Camino(s) past & future:
    Yup, that's the bar where I got mine.

56. Kelly Catlow

Kelly Catlow Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thank you

57. ELHS220

ELHS220 Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    The website is: www.collage.com
    A 60% off promotion on first time orders should appear when you go there.
    I was able to use this perk more than once by using different e-mails for subsequent orders.
    The poster is actually 20 x 30 and came framed. They do have 24 x 36, but unframed.

Another good site to check out for Camino memorabilia is: www.vistaprint.com.
    I had some two-sided Camino shirts made using photos taken on the Camino, as well as some nice calendars. They also offer frequent promotions.

And, last but not least: Go to Etsy and search Camino de Santiago. There is a shop that sells shirts covered with Camino sellos. He can make one with your personal ones if you wish, or you can buy the "generic" one. I liked the generic better because it is of the "all-over" design type, and I like the silky material better than the personalized one too!

Sheffield James and jsalt like this.
  58. ELHS220

ELHS220 Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Here is a picture of the "sello" shirt.

Attached Files:

Sheffield James and jsalt like this.
  59. Terry R

Terry R New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino del Norte ( May/June 2017)
    Greetings to everyone, I really appreciate all of your input and your passion throughout this fantastic forum. I am going on my first Camino at the end of May, till mid June.
    I will be doing the Northern passage, and I have a question regarding etiquette. When going out in town after a long hike, what is considered proper footwear for visiting the various sites and restaurants? Are flip flops ok, or is this looked down upon? Thanks for any help, everyone have a nice day.

60. Veronicad1

Veronicad1 New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Hopefully this fall!
    I would love to know what shoes you wore!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  61. C clearly

Camino(s) past & future:
    Not by the crowd wearing Crocs or dirty hiking boots to dinner.