• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tips for Walking the Camino with Bus Transportation and Bag Arrangements

sue macias

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
I would like to do the Camino but I have 20 days I would like to walk to the important locations like famous places but need to bus in between and send my bag ahead due to neck injuries
What are some auggestions

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you start in Leon (or a bit further depending on how many kms you walk a day), you could walk all the way to Santiago without taking busses.

There are various pack transport services.

Hello Sue, and welcome to the Forum.
If you are planning for the Frances route, your bag transfer friend is Jacotrans and your albergue can help you set that up each evening.
You can certainly bus (or train) between many towns. I recall an injured pilgrim who bussed from Viana to Logrono, for example.
I took a train on one trip from a short distance east of Leon.
And Spouse and I took a taxi once from Fonfria, down the hill to Triacastella… so you have a few options to handle moving along — even in remote areas.
What to skip is entirely a personal judgement. Just don’t skip the last 100K *if* you are seeking a compostella in Santiago.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Before my first Camino a Spanish friend told me it would be like in inside out sandwich - the best bits on the outside and the middle (the Mesata) a bit blah.

Many, who love the Mesata, will disagree. On my last trip across it it rained all the way from Fromista to Leon so on my latest CF, along with a friend who had walked the Mesata previously in a blistering heatwave, I caught the bus from Fromista to Palencia and the train on to Leon and have never regreted it.

As @Faye Walker says, if you want a Compostela, make sure you walk continuously from Sarria onwards and get at least two sellos per day.

There are many baggage handlers, Jacotrans being the most experienced - they carried our bags on the last stretch into Santiago on a day when it poured with torrential rain. We stood like drowned rats in the foyer of the Reis Catolicos and in came our packs, bone dry!

Better to take the odd bus than risk further injury. It's your Camino, walk as you will.

Buen Camino.

What are some auggestions
There is bus service most places and you will see lots of taxi stickers on every post. I took the bus one day when my feet were bothering me and I handed the bus driver a €20 note and he was very annoyed as the fare was about €2. I was surprised. I also took a side trip one day to Bilbao to see the Guggenheim Museum. Just find the local bus terminal/stop. There are lots of options so you can be very flexible in your travel plans.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You need to decide what your goal are for the Camino since you will be missing a third of the Pilgrimage.
Most people believe that the Camino has three stages starting at st Jean on the first leg you will meet people , learn the Camino basics and get physically tested. The second phase is the messeta which is long and boring where you will be forced to take time to think and discuss with your new Camino friends. The last stretch from Leon through Galacia is spiritual because of all the beautiful surroundings.
Taking cabs are busses is fine but it will have always an impact on friends and having a Camino family you will leave them behind.
Are you planning any downtime. Most people don’t. But that can cause problems
Always remember it is not a race or a challenge it is a pilgrimage to learn about your self so 20 days is ok if that is what you have but try to maximize it not in miles but memories
Definitely do Leon to Santiago the whole way that is 12 days. Also consider starting in pampalona walk for 3 days the bus to sahagun walk a little mesata into leon
What ever you choose remember you will want to spend some time in Santiago and maybe Leon or ponfferada
Shipping bags is easy you just have to know where you will end up. All the albugues have tags. You will need 5 or 6 euros in cash daily to put in the envelope with your destination on it no problem
Buen camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Sue.
My trips are full but you might like my itinerary with a few tweaks.
You can see it here:
anniewalkers.com
Click on Itinerary

It includes walking over the pyrenees as well as getting your Compostela in Santiago. You bus or train between Logrono/Burgos/Leon/Astorga - so you walk the front and back. It's about 23 days, but I give extra days in Pamplona up front and in Santiago.
Anyway, feel free to steal it. :)
Annie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You need to decide what your goal are for the Camino since you will be missing a third of the Pilgrimage.
Most people believe that the Camino has three stages
I agree that it is helpful to understand what you want to get out of the Camino, or at least prioritize your objectives, so that you can plan according.

However...

You will not miss any of your pilgrimage. Many people choose a route beginning at Point A and ending in Santiago. More people choose a route beginning at Point B, C, D, or E.... and ending in Santiago. A few people start at home and end in Santiago. (I tend to think that one needs to end in Santiago, to say they have completed the Camino de Santiago.)

"Most" people don't particularly buy into the "three stages" model, although it is possible to apply that type of modeling to many endeavours in life. If it helps you understand and appreciate your pilgrimage, it is great, but I don't think one should choose a route with that expectation. There is an interesting discussion on this thread.

Hi Sue.
My trips are full but you might like my itinerary with a few tweaks.
You can see it here:
anniewalkers.com
Click on Itinerary

It includes walking over the pyrenees as well as getting your Compostela in Santiago. You bus or train between Logrono/Burgos/Leon/Astorga - so you walk the front and back. It's about 23 days, but I give extra days in Pamplona up front and in Santiago.
Anyway, feel free to steal it. :)
Annie
That's a nicely planned out itinerary Annie - if I were a newbie I'd be tempted myself!

but "We stop at Irache, the famous fountain, and fill our bottles with wine" tsk, tsk, it's only supposed to be a cupful 🍷🍷 ;)

Before my first Camino a Spanish friend told me it would be like in inside out sandwich - the best bits on the outside and the middle (the Mesata) a bit blah.

Many, who love the Mesata, will disagree. On my last trip across it it rained all the way from Fromista to Leon so on my latest CF, along with a friend who had walked the Mesata previously in a blistering heatwave, I caught the bus from Fromista to Palencia and the train on to Leon and have never regreted it.

As @Faye Walker says, if you want a Compostela, make sure you walk continuously from Sarria onwards and get at least two sellos per day.

There are many baggage handlers, Jacotrans being the most experienced - they carried our bags on the last stretch into Santiago on a day when it poured with torrential rain. We stood like drowned rats in the foyer of the Reis Catolicos and in came our packs, bone dry!

Better to take the odd bus than risk further injury. It's your Camino, walk as you will.

Buen Camino.
I love the idea of a Sandwich! 😆 definitely recommend Pamplona 🤩

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back