• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two Stamps for the last 100 kms

Sherrie

Sherrie & Doug
Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk mid-September to late-October (2015)
Can someone explain why two stamps are required in one's credencial for the final 100 kms of the Camino? Many thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Can someone explain why two stamps are required in one's credencial for the final 100 kms of the Camino? Many thanks!
Hi Sherrie

The "why" is because it's stated on the credenciale (pilgrim's passport) and specified here on the Pilgrim's Office website: http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/pilgrimage/the-credencial/

As for how much importance is placed on checking for two daily stamps by the Pilgrim's Office when you get to Santiago (especially if you have clearly walked much further than the last 100km), that's a different matter and has been the subject of much discussion on this Forum! If you search for "two stamps" in the search box above you will find some of the previous debate on the issue.

Personally I found it fascinating seeing the different (sometimes quite lovely) stamps that just about every bar, church, hotel and albergue have along the way, so collecting extra in the last 100km was more fun than a chore!

Buen Camino!

The reason behind why lt is stated on the credencial is that people love to get a Compostela, even if they have not earned it. There are those who want to drive from point A to point B and get a stamp, then head out for a day of R&R until the next day when they do the same. Forcing them to get two stamps makes it more difficult, and enforcers at the pilgrim office can spot whicj stamps can be gotten along car routes, and those which are out of the way, figuring out who cheated, who did not. It is thought that while doing this over 3 to 5 days is feasible, noone would cheat all the way from SJPP, Pamplona, Leon, etc, and pay for a month long trip to get that certificate.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Sherrie

The "why" is because it's stated on the credenciale (pilgrim's passport) and specified here on the Pilgrim's Office website: http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/pilgrimage/the-credencial/

As for how much importance is placed on checking for two daily stamps by the Pilgrim's Office when you get to Santiago (especially if you have clearly walked much further than the last 100km), that's a different matter and has been the subject of much discussion on this Forum! If you search for "two stamps" in the search box above you will find some of the previous debate on the issue.

Personally I found it fascinating seeing the different (sometimes quite lovely) stamps that just about every bar, church, hotel and albergue have along the way, so collecting extra in the last 100km was more fun than a chore!

Buen Camino!
Thank you for the additional information. I should say that I have no objections to collecting two stamps in the final 100kms. I just wanted to know the reason behind it. I look forward to each and every stamp that goes into my credencial. :)

I just looked at my Credenciale from 2013, picked up in SJPP, and it doesn't have anything about two stamps, though I did hear about that as I got closer to Sarria. When I asked my hospitalero in Portomarin about it, she said, "You have walked from SJPP. No one will think you cheated." But it must have become a firm requirement at this point, since many of you have mentioned that it is printed on the credenciale. And as an aside, when I arrived in Santiago de Compostela and got my certificate, several other people I met along the way went with me to celebrate our certificates, and all of us realized that the Compostela was not the most important document for any of us. It was, after all, our beautiful, bedraggled pilgrim's passports, with all the wonderful stamps, that is most precious. That is true two years later, now, as I prepare to walk the Norte at the end of the month. I will be curious to see whether the credenciale I get in Irun has the requirement printed on it. But I will attempt to get two stamps a day anyway. Last time, I had to buy another credencial in Barbadelos, just past Sarria, since my first SJPP one was full!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Doesn't make much sense and i doubt it deters those 'evil cheaters' :)

I don't know if it deters all of them, but I have had tour operators complain to me that they were no longer able to just arrange for the stamps in the evening, and were not able to manage a second stamp for their bus customers. At least one of them now prints their own documents and certificates of pilgrimage.

I just looked at my Credenciale from 2013, picked up in SJPP, and it doesn't have anything about two stamps, though I did hear about that as I got closer to Sarria. When I asked my hospitalero in Portomarin about it, she said, "You have walked from SJPP. No one will think you cheated." But it must have become a firm requirement at this point, since many of you have mentioned that it is printed on the credenciale. And as an aside, when I arrived in Santiago de Compostela and got my certificate, several other people I met along the way went with me to celebrate our certificates, and all of us realized that the Compostela was not the most important document for any of us. It was, after all, our beautiful, bedraggled pilgrim's passports, with all the wonderful stamps, that is most precious. That is true two years later, now, as I prepare to walk the Norte at the end of the month. I will be curious to see whether the credenciale I get in Irun has the requirement printed on it. But I will attempt to get two stamps a day anyway. Last time, I had to buy another credencial in Barbadelos, just past Sarria, since my first SJPP one was full!
Hi, you are so wright, I found the credential more" important" at the time than the Compostela. Because you can't sleep anywhere with out it. I framed the Compostela's from my wife's Camino in 2013 and mine from this year in the hal in our home. These are the only two the other ones are lying in a drawer somewhere in th house.
I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't know if it deters all of them, but I have had tour operators complain to me that they were no longer able to just arrange for the stamps in the evening, and were not able to manage a second stamp for their bus customers. At least one of them now prints their own documents and certificates of pilgrimage.
We were adding to the date on the sello at San Anton "AUTOBUS"

Tour operator pilgrims have their own place at the pilgrims' office in SdC, so they no longer bother the non-tour pilgrims. So... If they want to bus and stamp... That's their problem, I really do not see what the problem is for anyone else. To my knowledge, even if you do not walk the Camino, just by visiting the Cathedral and doing the rites you are still granted partial indulgence, assuming you are Catholic.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Tour operator pilgrims have their own place at the pilgrims' office in SdC, so they no longer bother the non-tour pilgrims. So... If they want to bus and stamp... That's their problem, I really do not see what the problem is for anyone else. To my knowledge, even if you do not walk the Camino, just by visiting the Cathedral and doing the rites you are still granted partial indulgence, assuming you are Catholic.

That facility at the Pilgrims' Office is pretty recent. I would agree with you for those tours which have chaplains who know what they are doing, but this is not universally applicable nor is every tour operator sensible and professional. Indeed, I know of one national Camino group which was approached last year for a bulk sale of credentials (and refused) and the tour operator said that he wanted to "fix it for compostelas" for his clients. While this is a real minority in a generally professional industry, I fear it seems to continue to exist on the fringes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The secong office is not just for tour operators but for any groups, commercially organised or not.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@jefferyonthecamino - I'm not Catholic, but I think an indulgence, or partial indulgence, is quite different to a compostela.
My point is that it comes down to the value you personally give something. It would be interesting to know when and why did the Catholic Church start awarding Compostelas to non-Catholics ('spiritual reasons are very vague) or indeed, why do non-Catholics even want a Compostela

@jefferyonthecamino it was not the Catholic Church that started awarding Credentiales in the modern age - as I understand it. Here it is explained by @sillydoll :

(1) According to Javier Martin (member of AMIGOS and this forum) the credencial as we know it was not a product of the cathedral and had nothing to do with the church or the Compostela, even though they print and distribute it.

The Credencial del Peregrino was adopted at the first international AMIGOS congress in Jaca in 1987 and was the idea of that congress and Don Elias Valina. Besides being a passport for pilgrims it WAS also meant to be a memento of a pilgrims walk on the Camino. “LA CREDENCIAL. COMO RECUERDO CUANDO LA PEREGRINACION FINALIZA" (THE CREDENTIAL- AS A REMINDER FOR WHEN THE PILGRIMAGE ENDS.)
In the 1950's a credential was issued to people who followed the road routes to Santiago. They had it stamped at a number of places along the road and were given a diploma when they arrived.

(2) The Compostela dates from the 14th century. After the decline in pilgrimages from the 15th century, the issue of a certificate stopped for a few centuries, was revived in the 18th century and then stopped again at the end of the 19th century.

Many people confuse it with an Indulgence (for the remission of sins and time spent in purgatory) which is given to Catholic pilgrims only who comply with the requirements of visiting the cathedral, reciting a prayer, such as the Creed or Lord's prayer, praying for His Holiness the Pope; attending mass and receiving the Sacraments of confession. Millions of Catholic pilgrims to the tomb of St James in Santiago still earn the indulgence, especially in holy years, but they don't have to walk there.

Perhaps the church should have stuck to handing out indulgences to all Catholic pilgrims and offering a certificate of welcome to all other pilgrims, tourists and tourist-pilgrims - as they now give to any pilgrim that visits Jerusalem.

Just edited my post. Confusion reigns!

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The hospitslero at ave fenix explained the the credencial is the modern version of marks that were made on walking sticks way back way. The purpose was to ensure that pilgrims moved on, that they did not spend night after night in the same place. He exp'ained how pilgrims managed to,cheat the system but I can't remember what it was. I do remember his joke about the camel ealking toward ps a precipice though ....

Hola - I think this is getting a bit confused. I hope I don't make it worse!

1 Credencial - Please see http://www.csj.org.uk/the-present-day-pilgrimage/the-credencial

"The credencial, a distant successor to the safe-conducts issued to medieval pilgrims, is a document printed and issued by the cathedral authorities in Santiago, and made available to bona fide pilgrims at points along the route – e.g. at Roncesvalles, and at some churches and albergues – and through the Spanish associations. It presupposes that the bearer is making the pilgrimage for spiritual reasons by foot, cycle or horse. This does not necessarily mean Roman Catholic and pilgrims will not be asked about their denomination, or even whether they are Christian, although of course historically the pilgrimage itself has meant Christian pilgrimage. Today and in practice, however, the credencial covers anyone making the pilgrimage in a frame of mind that is open and searching."

So the credencial in some form or other has been around since the middle ages. Previously pilgrims brought letters of bona fides from their local parish although with the standardisation of the credencial in modern times this practice has fallen away. As I understand it in 1987 the Amigos Associations who sun and staff albergues on the routes decided that a credencial was necessary for admission.

Since the Cathedral of Santiago issues the Compostela it decided that only the credencial issued or authorised by them would be accepted by them as proof of pilgrimage in relation to the Compostela.

2 The Compostela - has always been issued by the Cathedral of Santiago and as has been stated dates from the 14th Century. Here is a pictorial display of the Evolution of the Compostela from the 18th Century.

3 Indulgences - to see a very good explanation of the distinction between these and the Compostela http://www.csj.org.uk/the-present-d...and-essays/don-jaime-garcia-rodriguez-letter/

1 The Compostela

In order for the Compostela to be granted it is necessary that in principle, pilgrimage be made from home to the tomb of the Apostle St James. Since this may imply great differences in distance, the requirement has been set at a minimum of 100 km on foot or horseback and 200 km by bicycle: this means at least the last 100 or 200 km.

People who do specific stretches of the Camino, for lack of time or for other circumstances, are not entitled to the Compostela every time they walk 100 km; the point is to make a pilgrimage to the tomb of the Apostle. We ask you to explain this to pilgrims, as lack of information sometimes creates difficulties for us here.

The Compostela used to indicate that a pilgrim had carried out some form of penance nowadays it certifies that he or she has made the traditional pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

2 It is necessary to point out as well that the Jubilee indulgence is not linked to the Compostela. The Jubilee can be gained through any means of travel – it does not have to be on foot – and one can legitimately receive the Compostela without gaining the Jubilee; as you know, to gain the Jubilee it is necessary to

a) visit the tomb of the Apostle in the Cathedral and pray (attending Mass fulfils this condition);

b) receive the sacrament of Confession (in the Cathedral or in another church, within fifteen days before or after one’s visit to the Apostle’s tomb, with the same intention;

c) receive Communion, preferably in the sanctuary. The Jubilee, in addition, can be applied to our personal sins or to those of the dead. According to Canon Law those who are sick or disabled can receive the Jubilee in their own churches without visiting the Cathedral by completing the other conditions (see ‘Disposiciones para obtener la Indulgencia Jubilar’, Compostela no 17, pp. 9-10).

3 The Jubilee Indulgence can be obtained by pilgrims by:

a) attending a religious service in the Cathedral privately

b) attending as part of a group (and if we are advised ahead of time we usually mention the group during the Eucharist;

c) reading a prayer to the Apostle on behalf of the group; the prayer consists of the reading, after the Gospel, of a text submitted previously and which is no more than a page in length, to which the celebrant of the Eucharist replies.

Attachments

• History of Compostela.jpg
    History of Compostela.jpg
    590.5 KB · Views: 25
How interesting to see Johnny Walker's attached document. So apparently this idea of the certificate is not a new one. I see a diploma in 1976, certificates in 1995 and 2009. Is there a place where we can see this document in larger resolution to read each of these? Thank you again for posting it!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I received my indulgence in Astorga at the chocolate museum!!! Not to be missed and just what a pilgrim needs before heading into the mountains!

That could be classified as an 'Over Indulgence' :D
Not forgetting the Tarta in Santiago, and the food on the trail, I think most of us get our 'over-indulgence'.

Biff

@jefferyonthecamino - I'm not Catholic, but I think an indulgence, or partial indulgence, is quite different to a compostela.

Kanga you know i sometimes say toooo much so picture this situation;
Four days before Bastille day , temp 35c , have already walked 20 km for the day , was considering staying in Ostabat [ for the unknowing this is 25 km before STJPP] when we run into 6 bishops with a tribe of Gite and Albergue owners casulaay walking 5 Km after being bused to this spot.
One was the SDeC Bishop.
After talking to all the other 5 and answering many, many questions on where we started [ Moissac ] and the gite situation it eventually got to the compostela.
Father do you want the man in the streets answer ....yes said the bishop from Bayonne............how does greed sound [$$$]........
what distance do you think , 200km i say..........many think 300km was the answer by many in the group.
By this time the only Bishop NOT understanding english came from you know where.
**Ivar will be able to give the exact date of their conference

I think as long as you walk much further than the last 100km they don't require it. I walked from roncesvalles and never attempted to get too stamps, ever. I decided I only needed one stamp from each location I stayed: and if I didn't receive my compostela in the end, I was ok with that. It would have just been what it is, a common thought of the camino. Letting everything unfold the way it was supposed to. I didn't want to be in search of other stamps (and on occasion saw other pilgrims doing this) in this focus to get my compostela. My passport is way more important to me. (Even after also receiving my compostela with one stamp in each location) I completed the camino this year, and love that my passport is a direct reflection of the places I stayed.
:0)

€149,-
"noone would cheat all the way from SJPP, Pamplona, Leon, etc, and pay for a month long trip to get that certificate"

In 2012 there was a party of three French cars that travelled the whole way from SJPP to SdC, at first discreetly but by the time they got to Castrojeriz they were parking right outside the refugios.

Queuing for our Compostelas one of the French ladies was alongside me, when asked if she had walked the whole way she said "Yes! every step of the way!"

Didn't even blush!

I ran into a similar party of French motorized pilgrims on the Primitivo in 2014, who at least had the grace to blush when I caught them alighting from their cars in a back plaza in Salas. There was also a walking pilgrim from France staying at the same place (we called him Papillon as the others did not associate with him); I speak French and asked him what he thought about his compatriots. Simple, he told me, I don't think about them.

That could be classified as an 'Over Indulgence' :D
Not forgetting the Tarta in Santiago, and the food on the trail, I think most of us get our 'over-indulgence'.

Biff
I had my first Tarta de Santiago in Moratinos and thought for sure I'd died and gone to heaven! For some reason that day was particularly tough but ended WELL!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I read that the way you can get 2 stamps a day is to get a stamp when you arrive at an albergue and then another one from the same place the morning you leave. Is this correct.

I have a couple of other questions about the passport. Can you get a stamp in the city you arrive in, like Sevilla but start your camino in another city like Almaden de la Plata. Also, if you don't finish the camino can you just continue your camino where you left off in another year but with the same passport?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Since the Cathedral of Santiago issues the Compostela it decided that only the credencial issued or authorised by them would be accepted by them as proof of pilgrimage in relation to the Compostela.
Does this mean that credencials issued by national pilgrimage associations, eg., my credencial from the Canadian Company of Pilgrims, are invalid for receiving the Compostela? How can a pilgrim know if his or her credencial is "authorised by" the Cathedral of Santiago?

Does this mean that credencials issued by national pilgrimage associations, eg., my credencial from the Canadian Company of Pilgrims, are invalid for receiving the Compostela? How can a pilgrim know if his or her credencial is "authorised by" the Cathedral of Santiago?
No, you can use the credential that you received from your national company of Pilgrims.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just to add to the confusion, I just looked at my credential from American Pilgrims on the Camino. In addition to the requirements explained in the previous posts and linnks (100km, 200km, 2 sellos/day in Glacia), it adds: "On the final day, Pilgrims must obtain two stamps before entering the city of Santiago." (Underlining theirs).

Yikes! That's a new one. Anyone ever heard of it? 2015-09-05 11.30.35.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just to add to the confusion, I just looked at my credential from American Pilgrims on the Camino. In addition to the requirements explained in the previous posts and linnks (100km, 200km, 2 sellos/day in Glacia), it adds: "On the final day, Pilgrims must obtain two stamps before entering the city of Santiago." (Underlining theirs).

Yikes! That's a new one. Anyone ever heard of it? View attachment 20817
The last 100km you need 2 stamps a day. You need to get 2 stamps at the last day aswell , that will no problem. Wish you well, Peter.

No, you can use the credential that you received from your national company of Pilgrims.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.
You can also use it if you bought it from the local shop in your town as I did here in Montreal. What matters is that you stamp it once you start walking, then once a day after that. If tou are only ealking the last 100km you need to get it stam'
Pd twice, intwo different locatins in the same day. The only down side to haing the local farmacia, hotel,or produce shop stamp it is that you get the business stamp, not one like looks pretty in you credencial. And some really go all out to design meaninigful stamps.

"..... it adds: "On the final day, Pilgrims must obtain two stamps before entering the city of Santiago."

Bala, it says that on mine as well for spring 2014 (I had to go check). But when I looked at my stamps I had NONE except for the final one for that day... I had filled all but 1 square of TWO Credencials on my journey so I had saved the final square for that. No one said anything about me not fulfilling the obligation for that day. Plus it was pouring so hard I think they felt a bit sorry for us drowned rats.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back