• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two stamps from Sarria to Santiago????

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My wife and I started in St. Jean August 31st and are scheduled to be in Santiago October 1st. Do we really need 2 stamps a day from Sarria on in? We don’t have room for that many stamps in our Camino Passport…

Yes you do need two stamps per day from Sarria on.
Is there really not enough room in your Credencial?

You will be able to buy another one in Sarria , just to be sure.

Here are the rules for obtaining the Compostela.

Thanks. Where do you purchase the additional compestela? Tourism office?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks. Where do you purchase the additional compestela? Tourism office?
There are a number of albergues in Sarria that have credentials available, including the municipal. And also at the aptly named Albergue Credencial.
On Gronze, under Servicios y equipamiento it will say Expiden la Credencial if they have them.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We can expect to soon hear from people saying how many compostelas they have and how they have never gotten 2 stamps/day after Sarria. However, that is like saying they have exceeded the speed limit 100 times and never received a ticket, so the speed limit does not really exist.

The rule is clear: 2 stamps/day for the last 100 km. There is no official exemption for people having walked any additional distance before Sarria.

That does not mean that the rule is always enforced.

We can expect to soon hear from people saying how many compostelas they have and how they have never gotten 2 stamps/day after Sarria. However, that is like saying they have exceeded the speed limit 100 times and never received a ticket, so the speed limit does not really exist.
Or that they always take their poles in their carry-on. 😉

yes 2 stamps a day from sarria onwards, I can confirm as I recently completed Camino from Sarria. You can probably buy credencial in albuergues, tourist/pilgrim shops or even churches.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you ask, some albergues do carry credentials. We sold them in Zamora at the albergue and at Estella we knew where to direct people. I am not sure where you are right now on the Camino, but if you are not yet close to Sarria, there is likely somewhere along the way where you can get an extra. We bought extra credentials in Leon on our first Camino because we did get a little stamp happy at the beginning...

I ignorantly had not heard of the rule on my first Camino in 2015 and was given a Compostela in spite of it, although a few questions were asked of me. I had learned of the rules in 2017 and I fully complied.
That does not mean that the rule is always enforced.
No it was not in 2015 for me.

I have 3 Compostelas tucked away somewhere in the attic. None of them implied 2 stamps onwards from Sarria. But then again, my last Compostela was obtained in 2015. Seems that the PO is a bit more hardcore these days. And as said earlier, just get a piece of paper for your last stamps; They will accept it.

But by all means, a Credential is a very nice remembrance of your last days of walking, so just get another one to finish it off. Reminds me of a story from the VdlP in 2013:

An old Austrian farmer, in his 70-thies, strongly religious, was walking with terrible blisters the whole way. It was blood and other fluids all over the place. I had to take care of his feet on several occasions, but to no avail. His only purpose of walking was to obtain a Compostela.

However, (The VdlP is 1005 kms...), 60 kms before Santiago, he had to go to the hospital, and the doctor said strickly that if he walked one step further, his feet would be in jeopardy. So he took a taxi into Santiago.

At the PO, he explained his purpose and condition, and told them he had only lived through this ordeal in order to get his all-important Compostela, and he told them: "I will take off my shoes to show you the thruth, because I cannot do this again.".

The volunteer said: "Don't bother: I believe you".

He got his Compostela.

Edit: Good old Austrian farmer Guntram: He really made his wish come true. So happy for him, having watched and helped with his sufferings for a month. The incredible was that he kept our speed of 20-25 kms/day. How it must have hurt...

Last edited:
Getting two stamps a day extremely easy to do for the entire Camino Frances from Saint Jean to Santiago. The stretch from Sarria no different. If averaging 20 km's a day, it's less than a week to do. If you have to, just find a sheet of paper to attach to your credentials.

We had a similar story when Phil was struck by food poisoning at Melide and we had to cab the rest of the way and give up our Camino dream. We went instead to the pilgrim office to ask for the distance certificate and when we showed our credentials with stamps all the way back to SJPDP the volunteer said, "I will be happy to give you distance certificate, but why did you stop walking." We explained Phil's illness and he said, "But of course I will also give you a compostella" We were stunned and said we did not walk the whole way at the end. He held up our credentials full of stamps and said "Yes, but you have walked." It is not the norm or the rules and certainly not our expectation. We both burst into tears and made our way to the chapel to pray.

My wife and I started in St. Jean August 31st and are scheduled to be in Santiago October 1st. Do we really need 2 stamps a day from Sarria on in? We don’t have room for that many stamps in our Camino Passport…

Yep, 2 stamps a day from Sarria.

The problem is, that most of the Credencials don't have enough space if you are walking for 40+ days.
And those rather 'useful' touristy maps on one side just take up space.

Those from the Pilgrim's office in St Jean are better. Larger, with more usable space.

But like others have said, I tend to use a 2nd credencial or stick an extra piece of paper onto one.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you ask, some albergues do carry credentials. We sold them in Zamora at the albergue and at Estella we knew where to direct people. I am not sure where you are right now on the Camino, but if you are not yet close to Sarria, there is likely somewhere along the way where you can get an extra. We bought extra credentials in Leon on our first Camino because we did get a little stamp happy at the beginning...
I got a few extra stamps like a lt a local Police station because I’m in that line of work. I’ll pick up an extra just in case

Yep, 2 stamps a day from Sarria.

The problem is, that most of the Credencials don't have enough space if you are walking for 40+ days.
And those rather 'useful' touristy maps on one side just take up space.

Those from the Pilgrim's office in St Jean are better. Larger, with more usable space.

But like others have said, I tend to use a 2nd credencial or stick an extra piece of paper onto one.
Thank you

Afraid so - that’s always been the rule in Galicia

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I never got more than one stamp a day. In practice one per day is enough if you also have lots of other stamps.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

I've been on 2 Caminos never had 2 stamps per day from Sarria or anywhere else & it didn't prevent me getting the Credencial certificate in SDC from the official office - they were mainly interested in collecting the 5 euros.

I've been on 2 Caminos never had 2 stamps per day from Sarria or anywhere else & it didn't prevent me getting the Credencial certificate in SDC from the official office - they were mainly interested in collecting the 5 euros.

Yes , it was mentioned before that the two stamp rule does depend on who in the offfice is handling your Compostela but I would not count on it that it works with every person behind the desks.

As for the " mainly interested in collecting the 5 € " : well paper, ink , central heating and general maintenance of the office does not come from the Divine Intervention. So 5€ is a fair price imho.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There is no cost for the Compostela. There is a cost for a Certificate of Distance which is provided on request for 3€ which, for reasons mentioned above by @SabineP, is fair.

There is no cost for the Compostela. There is a cost for a Certificate of Distance which is provided on request for 3€ which, for reasons mentioned above by @SabineP, is fair.

Thanks for the clarification. Recent Caminos when finishing in Santiago I did not collect the Compostela anymore.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes , it was mentioned before that the two stamp rule does depend on who in the offfice is handling your Compostela but I would not count on it that it works with every person behind the desks.

As for the " mainly interested in collecting the 5 € " : well paper, ink , central heating and general maintenance of the office does not come from the Divine Intervention. So 5€ is a fair price imho.
Sure I agree 100% I wasn't meaning it was expensive - it's totally nothing when you consider what gets outlaid when you're on the Camino for 30 days. I meant the staff in the office were careful that you paid to (barely?) cover the costs of the pretty certificate you receive and its protective tube. Anyway, I heard they are all volunteers
But the whole Camino thing is a business after all invented by the Church 1500 years ago. I have no complaints at all- I tipped in every restaurant I ate and paid respect to local customs and traditions. Why else would I be on the Camino otherwise? It's one of the best value cultural & fitness holiday that I know of anywhere in the world, and if you're religiously or spiritually inclined, you also get a free tune-up thrown in?
Can't wait to walk again next year.

I genuinely didn't realise that there was a 'two stamps per day, after Sarria' rule until reading this thread. Always learning!

I'd be amazed if you weren't given your Compostela for the sake of a couple of stamps, after walking 500 miles. As per previous posts though - don't worry, very easy to acquire another credencial en route, in fact you will probably have to get another before Sarria anyway as they fill up 'easy'.

this should help everyone understand the rules, clearly laid out:

it is as @SabineP and others stated, two stamps per day last 100km of walking, not a burden on anyone. some people have been lucky (and perhaps lazy). Don't join them, get two stamps.

anyone thinking this is done for money perhaps needs to walk a few more KM and do some thinking along with collecting those two stamps per day

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I never got more than one stamp a day. In practice one per day is enough if you also have lots of other stamps.
in my experience, having walked more than a hundred miles more than folks who started in SJPdP, and filling multiple credentials before I arrived in SdC, the volunteer helping me didn't care about anything in the credentials except the last 100km and he looked quite closely at that.

it's easy enough to follow the rules, but I'm glad you got a compostela anyway

psychic.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
first, God bless the volunteers in the Pilgrims' Office (part counselor, part guide, 100% compassionate) who must deal with a myriad of things for no pay and undoubtedly abuse (which I imagine increases yearly)--they are why the costs of things are so low. Second, God bless the volunteer hospitaleros and donativo albergues for the same reason, plus cooking for and cleaning up after a bunch of adults who don't always act like it. I thanked all of these people when I walked and I hope everyone else did too.

these certificates are essentially being given out because we want them, it's a service to us and has absolutely nothing to do with the Catholic grace received; for that no walking at all is required as best as I can tell. But walkers want that piece of paper and people in the Pilgrims' Office are bending over backwards to provide it. So let's make life easier on the poor volunteer who helps you, and not make them break the rules: two stamps a day for the last 100km walking. who knows, you could run into someone who strongly believes in rules, why take the chance (and let's not be sources of temptation to our fellow walkers by telling them it's not a rule when we know it is)

first, God bless the volunteers in the Pilgrims' Office (part counselor, part guide, 100% compassionate) who must deal with a myriad of things for no pay and undoubtedly abuse (which I imagine increases yearly)--they are why the costs of things are so low.
Thank you. It was a blessing to be able to serve as a volunteer in the PO in SdC in May/June 2019. Quite fun too, but veery hectic. I will happily recommend pilgrims try to volunteer; it adds a new dimension to your Camino experience. It brings you closer to your Camino(s).

And yes, accept the rules of the PO. It is hectic enough as it is.

Last edited:
So let's make life easier on the poor volunteer who helps you, and not make them break the rules: two stamps a day for the last 100km walking. who knows, you could run into someone who strongly believes in rules, why take the chance (and let's not be sources of temptation to our fellow walkers by telling them it's not a rule when we know it is)
Absolutely! Please give the volunteers and staff the consideration they are due.

We had a similar story when Phil was struck by food poisoning at Melide and we had to cab the rest of the way and give up our Camino dream. We went instead to the pilgrim office to ask for the distance certificate and when we showed our credentials with stamps all the way back to SJPDP the volunteer said, "I will be happy to give you distance certificate, but why did you stop walking." We explained Phil's illness and he said, "But of course I will also give you a compostella" We were stunned and said we did not walk the whole way at the end. He held up our credentials full of stamps and said "Yes, but you have walked." It is not the norm or the rules and certainly not our expectation. We both burst into tears and made our way to the chapel to pray.
I burst into tears reading this!

I'm touched by both the exception made and your humility.

I ran out last year, but picked up a second in a tourist office (villa franca). Not to difficult to get two per day, accommodation and dinner. Bonne continuation.

I believe that the 2 stamp requirement is only for those doing only the last 100km (from Sarria) to get the minimum requirement for a Compostela. If you started in SJ0dP you will be fine. I only had two stamps total from Sarria.

I believe that the 2 stamp requirement is only for those doing only the last 100km (from Sarria) to get the minimum requirement for a Compostela. If you started in SJ0dP you will be fine. I only had two stamps total from Sarria.
No, no, no! We keep trying to dispel this misconception. The Pilgrim Office website linked here and on posts above) makes no exception for longer walkers. By the rules, only the last 100 km matter. You got your compostela, but you did not follow the official requirement.

We are just trying to inform people of what the rules are, so they won't be unhappily surprised.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
See cartoon above. 100km or 100,000 km—no one cares, especially the overworked pilgrims office. Follow the rules to help the poor volunteers or run the risk I may volunteer 😈

I’m totally fine with making someone an example 😱

The requirement for everyone has been posted from the official page at least three times already.

Edit to emphasize everyone

Last edited:
yes you do need two stamps according to the rules. However on my first and second caminos, 2013 and 2015, I did not have the required stamps. I was simply asked where I started from, St Jean, a cursory look at my credencial, and compostela received. 2016 I had one day with 3 stamps a couple with 2 and a couple with one. Once again, no problem. I would not advise taking a risk but personally, never heard of anyone coming from St Jean being refused a compostela.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked from SJPDP to Santiago and didn’t have two stamps from Sarria onwards and didn’t have any problems. I was asking to a couple of fellow pilgrims about it and they didn’t get two stamps either.

I walked from SJPDP to Santiago and didn’t have two stamps from Sarria onwards and didn’t have any problems. I was asking to a couple of fellow pilgrims about it and they didn’t get two stamps either.
Thankfully, those who usually work in the Pilgrim office have some compassion, and let the rules ocassionally take a back seat to human kindness and empathy.

Thankfully, those who usually work in the Pilgrim office have some compassion, and let the rules ocassionally take a back seat to human kindness and empathy.
But, one shouldn't rely on it! Let's all make the volunteers' job easier by following the rules!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
But, one shouldn't rely on it! Let's all make the volunteers' job easier by following the rules!
This is not rocket science; it is the guidelines/rules of the PO. Obey. It is also to make sure everyone only starting in Sarria really makes a pilgimage. It would be too easy to just taxi from place to place and stop. By this rule, the PO hopes to receive people who have actually walked the whole distance. Not perfect, but a try. Whatever you walked before Sarria (or 100 kms away from SdC on other Caminos), is entirely your own pleasure and joy.

Edit: The Credential is basically a certificate/passport to allow you into albergues on your Way, as a pilgrim to SdC. But for the last 100 kms, it is also a documentation that you have walked to SdC. Hence (atleast) 2 stamps/day.

Greetings from a former volunteer in the PO.

Last edited:
I've only done one Camino so far and that is the Inglese. I had no problem getting multiple stamps a day. For me the Credential, with it's stamps are what I treasure the most because the stamps are memories of the places and the people along the way. I hope to start the French Way next year, but it will take me years to do because I won't have time to do it all in one go until I retire. So I plan to collect multiple stamps for the memories.

I figure it is an easy rules to follow so I'll be doing it from Sarria on. From what I've read here I'll just pick up another credential or two along the way.

I believe that the 2 stamp requirement is only for those doing only the last 100km (from Sarria) to get the minimum requirement for a Compostela.
You believe wrong.
You need two stamps wherever you started your walk to Santiago.
In 2014 there was a lady in front off us in the Pilgrim Office and she didn't had two stamps , it went hard to hard with the volunteer but she didn't got her Compostela.
Oh and she walked about 3000 km.

Why take the risk , getting two stamps is easyer than bying a coffee. 🙏😉

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The stamps don’t have to be placed neatly — pile them in!

You probably do, starting from SJPP -- those who get a free pass are typically those who have started from much further away, and have walked 1,000-1,200 K or more all on one go.

But well, getting stamps on your credencial is a pleasure, not a chore.

Last edited:
We can expect to soon hear from people saying how many compostelas they have and how they have never gotten 2 stamps/day after Sarria.
I tend to get about 1.6 to 1.8 /day average on the last 100K.

I aim for 2+, but well, given that my credenciales tend to look like this (except full of stamps), I don't worry too much ...

WP_20181231_14_03_09_Pro.jpg

I took a group on the Camino Portugues in 2018.

We stayed in Milladoiro the night before Santiago, which is only 7kms away.

I wanted the group to arrive fresh and bouncy, not totally exhausted.

But as we were walking those 7kms it suddenly occurred to me that, to get their compostelas, we might need to show TWO stamps between Milladoiro and Santiago.

Just try getting ONE stamp in Santiago’s suburbs on the Camino Portugues!

Every café we passed, either myself, or the co-leader, ran in to see if they had a stamp.

They just shook their heads.

Well, we managed it between the two of us, and the group all got their compostelas, but I won’t attempt that again 🤣.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I remember the first time I heard this rule may have been 2005. My response was if they want two stamps a day, why limit it to Sarria onwards. so I ended up filling 4 credentials by the time I reached Santiago.

I ran into a similar problem and ran out of space in my compostela. I collected one stamp per day in my compostela and two or more stamps per day in my journal. The Pilgrim Office accepted this as fulfilling their requirements.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back