• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two Stamps Sarria To Santiago ?

MickMac

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013
Frances 2016
Frances 2017
Frances 2018
Frances 2018
Ponferrada-Santiago
July 2019
To get your cert at the catherdral I read you have to get two stamps at each stage If you get one in the Albergue where do you get other ??

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
And don't panic (which I did) if you don't get all the sellos - I didn't even know about that rule until my second to last day. I just handed in my Credenciale without explanation, and a sweet guy gave me the Compostela without even questioning it. Mind you, I looked like a bona fide pilgrim: I and all my gear were muddy and dripping wet, so I had definitely walked from SOMEWHERE :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
To get your cert at the catherdral I read you have to get two stamps at each stage If you get one in the Albergue where do you get other ??
I have never bothered to collect 2 stamps each day along the Sarria-Santiago route. And I don't think anyone handing out the compostelas at the Pilgrim Office in SdC bothers to check either. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Unless you have a particular reason that you do not want to do what the Pilgrim Office asks and requires, I suggest you conform to its request. If you want to test them and their policies, go ahead. If you pull the wizard's beard, don't complain if he turns you into a frog!!

Many pilgrims, including myself, wonder where this "2-stamp" rule came from, since it is not explicitly stated in the credencial. In my case, I can recall one of the gentlemen in the pilgrim office at SJPdP specifically telling me that 'one stamp per day is sufficient.' For those seeking further clarification, the following thread might be useful:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/the-2-stamps-rule.8991/

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Many pilgrims, including myself, wonder where this "2-stamp" rule came from, since it is not explicitly stated in the credencial. In my case, I can recall one of the gentlemen in the pilgrim office at SJPdP specifically telling me that 'one stamp per day is sufficient.' For those seeking further clarification, the following thread might be useful:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/the-2-stamps-rule.8991/

https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/pilgrimage/the-compostela/

" You must collect the stamps on the “Credencial del Peregrino” from the places you pass through to certify that you have been there. Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafés, etc. You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims) "

Thanks for pointing that out, SabineP. Perhaps in future they should announce that in the credencial.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is very interesting, as I too was puzzled by the
two stamps requirement from Sarria. Some folk told me that it was due to the many folk who started at Sarria and who 'skipped' some parts, or used private cars to travel long stretches, that the two stamps requirement came to be. I diligently got a stamp from each accommodation from St Jean to Sarria then thought I should comply by getting two. After the first day, somehow I fell back onto the one stamp only (from my accommodation). Perhaps because I had started in St Jean and had so many stamps anyway (57 days walking!) the stamps from Sarria were not mentioned at all. Maybe someone who has started their pilgrimage at Sarria could shed some light onto this discussion.

Yes, I think it was an attempt to ensure that people really did walk the last 100km.

I have never bothered to collect 2 stamps each day along the Sarria-Santiago route. And I don't think anyone handing out the compostelas at the Pilgrim Office in SdC bothers to check either. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

They can and they do ask. When I got my compostela, the woman at the pilgrim's office absolutely checked that I had 2 stamps daily between Sarria and Santiago. She was quite serious about it. She asked where I started, which was Burgos - she verified that stamp and scanned through the rest of my stamps. Then she asked which was my Sarria stamp, which I showed her. She then counted up my stamps from Sarria on. I had spent 2 nights in Melide due to illness, so there seemed to be a discrepancy with the dates, which she asked me about. I explained. She asked me if I had walked the entire way from Sarria to Santiago, to which I replied that I had. She asked if I had taken any taxis or buses, or otherwise skipped any sections. I said that I hadn't. Eventually she was satisfied and I got my compostela. My husband, who got his compostela at the same time, but from different person, was in an out in no time - almost no questions. So it really does depend on the luck of the draw - which person you get at the pilgrims office.

They check , maybe not everybody.
They checked the number of sello's in my wife's credential in 2013 and 2014.
And she was not the only one.
It is an easy thing to do .
In my opinion you give the wrong advice.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back