• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two stamps - where?

Peacemaker

Time of past OR future Camino
Future - planned for late March and April 2022
Hello all,

I’m on the Camino now (Najera) with my wife and a question just occurred.

I know we need to get two stamps a day in the last 100 km to qualify for the Compostela. One will typically be from our albergue. Does it matter where we get the other?

For example, would it “count” to get a second from a cafe in the same town where we are staying at the end of the day? Or does it need to be from somewhere earlier in the day along our walking path?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Does it matter where we get the other?
In a word, No. Pilgrim Office staff will not be cross-checking the identity and nature of the stamp's owner, the locations, and probable timing of your walk between them. I would probably just try to get an early-ish stamp and a late-ish stamp, just because.. well, just because.

Hello all,

I know we need to get two stamps a day in the last 100 km to qualify for the Compostela. One will typically be from our albergue. Does it matter where we get the other?

For example, would it “count” to get a second from a cafe in the same town where we are staying at the end of the day? Or does it need to be from somewhere earlier in the day along our walking path?
A believe the 2 stamp rule is only required starting at the 100 km point so after Saria or maybe Montefort if you plan to take the Invierno at Ponferrada.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A believe the 2 stamp rule is only required starting at the 100 km point so after Saria or maybe Montefort if you plan to take the Invierno at Ponferrada.
Doesn't matter where you begin your Camino, you need two stamps a day walking the last 100km.🙏🏻

Nope.
From the Camino misconceptions thread:
The pilgrim's office is clear: You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims

Hello all,

What C Clearly said and yes you’re correct the last 100k.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You might consider getting more than one a day even now to remember, for example, places you ate at, cultural places you visited, or churches you prayed in. Not every one will have them, but I have found them a great aide memoire.

On my pilgrimages on the St Olavs Ways, where places didn't have stamps, I asked for a drawing, and was never disappointed. When I look at these little drawings I have a much more vivid memory of that day and the circumstances than other days.

Nope.
From the Camino misconceptions thread:
Perhaps I'm just lucky then.. I've never double stamped over multiple caminos (just seemed a source a stress for too many pilgrims and I saw no need to introduce stress into my camino). The office was never concerned in the least.

You might consider getting more than one a day even now to remember, for example, places you ate at, cultural places you visited, or churches you prayed in. Not every one will have them, but I have found them a great aide memoire.

On my pilgrimages on the St Olavs Ways, where places didn't have stamps, I asked for a drawing, and was never disappointed. When I look at these little drawings I have a much more vivid memory of that day and the circumstances than other days.
Sounds so nice to have a credential of drawings : ) On the Frances someone painted a beautiful small watercolor of a pilgrim crossing mountains in place of a stamp. And yes, these often carry more weight than a municipal stamp.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Perhaps I'm just lucky then.. I've never double stamped over multiple caminos (just seemed a source a stress for too many pilgrims and I saw no need to introduce stress into my camino). The office was never concerned in the least.
I think many of us were lucky. I take the view, though, that I would be horrified if someone were to take our example on this, and be refused a compostela for not having the required two stamps/day.

I think many of us were lucky. I take the view, though, that I would be horrified if someone were to take our example on this, and be refused a compostela for not having the required two stamps/day.
Indeed, everyone makes their own decisions : ).

If you started way back along the Way . . . SJPP, Pamplona, Leon . . . the clerk will normally take it for granted that you've done more than enough to qualify!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've never double stamped over multiple caminos (just seemed a source a stress for too many pilgrims and I saw no need to introduce stress into my camino). The office was never concerned in the least.
Where you and others may see stress I merely see curiosity from posters who have never walked before and simply want to know what's what.

We are speaking of two stamps on the last 100 km, for example from Sarria to Santiago. That's five days in most cases. That's one additional stamp per day, and five additional stamps in total. Stressful, especially when you know the road from Sarria already??? Makes me 😀 a little.

@Peacemaker, especially from Sarria onwards, there is an abundance of opportunities to get stamps. Often, in bars for example, you simply stamp and date your credential yourself because there is a stamp on display to be used by pilgrims themselves.

I myself am not much of a stamp collector but a very recent post has this to say: I liked the stamps from the beginning of my first Camino Frances, and averaged 6 or 7 a day after Sarria from churches, bars, restaurants, albergues, and many other places of interest.

Buen Camino!

Doug, if it is not too inconvenient, I would love to see a snapshot of the unique little drawings.🙂

Thanks for chiming in, everyone. It seems the timing doesn’t matter so long as I get at least two stamps per day while walking the last 100 kilometers.

I have always liked the idea of getting stamps wherever we eat or visit cultural/historical sites, and will do so. Often, though, we just buy groceries from a tienda and don’t do much sight seeing, esp. in some of the smaller towns. On those days, we’ll need to make sure to get that second stamp. I doubt it will be difficult, and at the pace we’re going, it’s really only the last 5-6 days that we need to be careful.

Yes! I will add - that the Passport books usually have enough spots to get 1 stamp a day up to Sarria and 2 stamps a day beginning in Sarria (for the Frances route). That said - you can always get a second stamp book if you need more places! I recently used my stamp book to figure out exactly where I stayed last summer, but I wish I could have used it to figure out where I ate too! Thus summer, I am probably going to take 2 credential booklets - the American one and the Holy Year one - and I want to get stamps in the albergues, churches, and bars I visit. I want to stay in different albergues this summer for the most part (which is one reason I looked up where I stayed last summer), but I would also like to visit some of my favorite bars again! Unfortunately - unless I remember as I pass them - I don't know which ones they are.

And back to the OP... it doesn't matter where you get your stamps. Just get at least 1 a day before the last 100km and 2 a day after you reach the last 100km. You will have many people tell you that if you started in SJPDP (or other Camino equivalent) that you do not need 2 stamps a day. While it is true that the person at the Pilgrim's office is less likely to check for 2 stamps a day if your credential is full - that doesn't mean you won't ever get a more strict "following the rules" person working at the volunteer office who looks to verify that you followed the 2 stamp a day rule for the last 100km. Could you only get one stamp a day that last 100km and still get your Compostela? Maybe. Perhaps even probably. But I would hate to go all that way and be the person they turn away because I didn't follow the easy to follow rule!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, agreed. We each brought two credentials, one standard and the other for the Holy Year, so that we would have plenty of space for stamping. I believe they can be purchased in several locations along the Camino as well.

In a word, No. Pilgrim Office staff will not be cross-checking the identity and nature of the stamp's owner, the locations, and probable timing of your walk between them. I would probably just try to get an early-ish stamp and a late-ish stamp, just because.. well, just because.
In two words definitely not 👍. I used to try to get one early in the day with the second one being the albergue stamp. But as I get more forgetful I just try to get my first one whenever I can remember.

If you started way back along the Way . . . SJPP, Pamplona, Leon . . . the clerk will normally take it for granted that you've done more than enough to qualify!
Not always.
In 2014 people in front off us walked from north Germany, no two stamps no Compostela.
This discussion is coming up several times a year, what is the problem???

There is no problem, some people only looking for excuses.

Perhaps normally, but not always!

If it's very important to you, the best way to ensure that you receive a Compostela is to follow the simple rules that the cathedral has set out:

You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).

Please make it easy on those working in the Pilgrims Office, most of whom are volunteering their time to serve you and get the required stamps.

Perhaps normally, but not always!

If it's very important to you, the best way to ensure that you receive a Compostela is to follow the simple rules that the cathedral has set out:

You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).

Please make it easy on those working in the Pilgrims Office, most of whom are volunteering their time to serve you and get the required stamps.
Agreed but at our induction at the Pilgrim Office we were told to be nice to the pilgrims . . . . besides which, at peak times, you really don't have time to sit and count the stamps from Sarria or whatever the 100km mark is on Caminos other than the CF.

The ones we didn't play nicely with were ones like the English guy who got about 6 sellos over the whole length of the CF (he said) because he wasn't worried about getting a Compostela but had "changed his mind" when he got to Santiago.

Not always.
In 2014 people in front off us walked from north Germany, no two stamps no Compostela.
This discussion is coming up several times a year, what is the problem???

There is no problem, some people only looking for excuses.
Far too harsh, if they've got stamps all the way from Germany no reasonable clerk ought refuse a Compostela.
After a couple of sessions behind the counter you get a feeling about who are the genuine cases and who is "trying it on" but, as I've said before - better safe than sorry.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I ask those on the forum because we love to follow rules here for fear of being roasted, except for the occasional two photos on the one photo a day thread, I’ll take my chances. 😆 Has anyone really known anyone who didn’t get the Compostela for not acquiring the two stamps per day 100k to go rule? I follow the rule, just curious. Do tell.

Last edited:
Has anyone really known anyone who didn’t get the Compostela for not acquiring the two stamps per day 100k to go rule?
Good question! I don't recall ever hearing of a rejection for not fulfilling the requirement of two stamps per day rule for the final 100k. Possibly others have noticed.

I ask those on the forum because we love to follow rules here for fear of being roasting, except for the occasional two photos on the one photo a day thread, I’ll take my chances. 😆 Has anyone really known anyone who didn’t get the Compostela for not acquiring the two stamps per day 100k to go rule? I follow the rule, just curious. Do tell.
Post 21 said the people in front of him walked from Germany and were denied.

Honestly though - the Pilgrims office was so busy I don't know how anyone would know if someone around them is being turned away - unless the person being turned away gets really loud in response.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I ask those on the forum because we love to follow rules here for fear of being roasted, except for the occasional two photos on the one photo a day thread, I’ll take my chances. 😆 Has anyone really known anyone who didn’t get the Compostela for not acquiring the two stamps per day 100k to go rule? I follow the rule, just curious. Do tell.
Yes, me. During my stint in the Pilgrim office I turned down at least half a dozen people who blatantly didn't qualify including the gent at post #23 above and a lady who had walked "all the way" from Porto except for a "couple of days" when she had caught a bus.
I also turned down somebody's request for a certificate for the whole distance from SJPP to SdC who took buses between from Burgos and Leon because they "didn't have time to walk all the way".

As an aside to the main question but still pertinent, does anybody ever bother to read and understand what it says on the top of every sello page of the credentials that Ivar sells?

Last edited:
As an aside to the main question but still pertinent, does anybody ever bother to read and understand what it says on the top of every sello page of the credentials that Ivar sells?
Yes, and the one from the Pilgrim Office in SJPP. Remarkably similar words in 2010 and currently.

Last edited:
I have walked four caminos and have never collected two stamps for the last 100klms. I have never been denied a compestela certificate.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have walked four caminos and have never collected two stamps for the last 100klms. I have never been denied a compestela certificate.
We know that is quite typical. But when someone asks about the requirement, we like to give them the correct answer.

I have driven for many years, and have exceeded the speed limit a few times, but I have never been stopped by the police. If someone asks what the speed limit is, I tell them the correct number rather than saying "Don't worry about it because I have never been stopped"!

The requirement is to ensure that bars get their fare share of business. I am not against that and always buy my coffee and meals along the way.
I just cannot be bothered to chase stamps. Frankly, if I was denied a compestela I would not be unduly concerned.

I think it's time to have a whack-a-mole emoji for the moderators so they can completely replace any similar posts to this if the matter has already been raised and responded to before in a thread.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Doug, if it is not too inconvenient, I would love to see a snapshot of the unique little drawings.🙂
These are from the St Olavsleden. I walked it in 2018.

Attachments

• 20190516_195112-01.jpeg
    20190516_195112-01.jpeg
    732.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 20190516_194825-01.jpeg
    20190516_194825-01.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190516_194917-01.jpeg
    20190516_194917-01.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190516_194639-01.jpeg
    20190516_194639-01.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 27
Hello all,

I asked the albergue host to stamp my credential and marked the date if the morning I was leaving, then one stamp along that, cafe shops, info center, etc, b4 reaching next stop. In case u don't get any stamp in between 2 stops, your next stop albergue would be your second stamp.

It’s quite difficult to find an establishment in the last 100km on the CF which doesn’t have a sello. I really don’t understand how this comes back for discussion time and time again. Many recount their experience of not conforming to the simple and well publicised rule - it’s even printed on the credencial - and ‘getting away with it’; but it takes very little effort to comply.

It’s quite difficult to find an establishment in the last 100km on the CF which doesn’t have a sello. I really don’t understand how this comes back for discussion time and time again. Many recount their experience of not conforming to the simple and well publicised rule - it’s even printed on the credencial - and ‘getting away with it’; but it takes very little effort to comply.
I'll never conform! ;) Free the Pilgrim!

Humor aside - no, it's not complicated henry, but for some, it is a complication. Many forget their double stamps and needlessly worry about a Compostela denied. (For others that worry begins before even starting the camino). Despite this they arrive in Santiago only to walk away with a smile and Compostela in hand. The policy is not consistently applied - precisely because it's bad policy.

Why does the office require double stamps on the last 100km? That's where the discussion should begin ;).

I'll never conform! ;) Free the Pilgrim!

Humor aside - no, it's not complicated henry, but for some, it is a complication. Many forget their double stamps and needlessly worry about a Compostela denied. (For others that worry begins before even starting the camino). Despite this they arrive in Santiago only to walk away with a smile and Compostela in hand. The policy is not consistently applied - precisely because it's bad policy.

Why does the office require double stamps on the last 100km? That's where the discussion should begin ;).
Well, it’s their game and their rules. The policy is probably applied with a degree of good judgement and compassion.

Whilst I usually refrain from casting the first stone - being such a large and deserving target myself - one would have to have the cognitive ability of yeast to ‘forget’ this simple stipulation, or fail to find a simple workaround.

The subject will be back again in a couple of weeks, no doubt.

(I’d put a suitable funny face here if I had the first idea what they all mean. I only found out what the aubergine represented last week and it’s made me rather nervous)

Why does the office require double stamps on the last 100km? That's where the discussion should begin
Have you ever contemplated that the management staff of the Pilgrim Office might just know more about the behaviours they are trying to eliminate than you do, and this system is working sufficiently well for them with all of what you see as flaws?

I doubt many of us are well enough informed about why this system has been put in place to shed real light on the issues, and even if we were to generate more light than heat, where will that lead?

I would rather help forum members prepare for and undertake their pilgrimage than worry about whether or not we agree that they should be collecting one or two stamps a day in the last 100 km.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not so for last 100 km on CP. I struggled to get a second stamp unless I paid to eat somewhere, as compared to church and shops provided sello. Boat trip will stamp your credential.

Have you ever contemplated that the management staff of the Pilgrim Office might just know more about the behaviours they are trying to eliminate than you do, and this system is working sufficiently well for them with all of what you see as flaws?
No, that's not my personality at all - It was just a simple question : ) I don't assume higher powers have the answer and I shouldn't inquire further. But I respect that you might feel otherwise ; )
I doubt many of us are well enough informed about why this system has been put in place to shed real light on the issues, and even if we were to generate more light than heat, where will that lead?
Well, it's a forum Doug. And these are discussions. I see several posts from those working at the office - and perhaps they could chime in. I don't see any problem with learning more about the issue. Or asking what was the reasoning behind the double stamp policy.
I would rather help forum members prepare for and undertake their pilgrimage than worry about whether or not we agree that they should be collecting one or two stamps a day in the last 100 km.
Yes, we agree : ) Helping others is good. Worrying is bad. So stop worrying about the direction of the thread? And let's help those who identify as yeast - and have forgotten their second stamps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wondered whether you would make some claim like this.

No, that's not my personality at all - It was just a simple question : ) I don't assume higher powers have the answer and I shouldn't inquire further. But I respect that you might feel otherwise ; )
Please don't suggest that I have assumed anything. Statements like this amount to an ad hominum, clearly a rhetorical flaw if you are interested in informed discussion about any subject. It suggests that you aren't, which makes me wonder if you are only interested in your own point of view when you are prepared to put down other points of view as you have done here.

Well, it's a forum Doug. And these are discussions. I see several posts from those working at the office - and perhaps they could chime in. I don't see any problem with learning more about the issue. Or asking what was the reasoning behind the double stamp policy.
It is possible there is a non-sequitor here. Unless there are forum members here that were involved in developing the policy in the first place who are also willing to give us some insight into that, any 'discussion' here will be mere speculation, certainly not learning.

Would the Pilgrim Office give an historian access to its records relating to the original and subsequent considerations of this policy? Are those in the Santiago diocesan hierarchy who were involved available and willing to share their recollections of what was considered at the time? Perhaps they have left personal records such as diaries that are available to researchers into the history of pilgrimage. We might infer motivations and intent, but without these primary sources, we might be engaging in little more than writing creative fiction.

Fill your boots and discuss this by all means. I will enjoy the spectacle.

Last edited:
How did yeast get dragged into this thread?:mad: (Rhetorical question). I have become a great admirer of yeast since the pandemic, and regularly have sourdough, dill pickles, sauerkraut, cider or wine fermenting on my kitchen counter.
I wondered whether you would make some claim like this.

Please don't suggest that I have assumed anything. Statements like this amount to an ad hominum, clearly a rhetorical flaw if you are interested in informed discussion about any subject. It suggests that you aren't, which makes me wonder if you are only interested in your own point of view when you are prepared to put down other points of view as you have done here.

Doug - take a deep breath : ) You're weaving a tapestry here that doesn't exist. And after recently finishing a long amazing winter of walks - scoring debate points is farthest from my mind. It was - and is - a simple question. If you can come up with multiple reasons why it can't, shouldn't or won't be answered, then great. I wouldn't call that an informed discussion, but I also wouldn't think any less of you for putting your thoughts forward. I mean that sincerely!

With that, i'll assume this thread has reached an end without an answer to my question ; ). ~ but I can say cheers and wish you beautiful walks : )

* My apologizes to yeast, anything containing yeast ( breads, cakes, cookies - I can't name you all, but please know you're loved ; ) and any parallels made between yeast and a forgetful pilgrim sans their second stamp - of which I am one.

It is possible there is a non-sequitor here. Unless there are forum members here that were involved in developing the policy in the first place who are also willing to give us some insight into that, any 'discussion' here will be mere speculation, certainly not learning.

Would the Pilgrim Office give an historian access to its records relating to the original and subsequent considerations of this policy? Are those in the Santiago diocesan hierarchy who were involved available and willing to share their recollections of what was considered at the time? Perhaps they have left personal records such as diaries that are available to researchers into the history of pilgrimage. We might infer motivations and intent, but without these primary sources, we might be engaging in little more than writing creative fiction.

Fill your boots and discuss this by all means. I will enjoy the spectacle.

Why does the office require double stamps on the last 100km? That's where the discussion should begin
Begin??? 😂

Do you not know how old this discussion is? It began probably in the previous century and by 2010 it was already in full swing, see this forum thread: The 2-stamps rule. The thread was started on 2 July 2010 and by that time the two stamps rule was already explicitly stated on the website of the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. And if you look a little bit into what has already been written long before today, you will find this by the British CSJ Camino association:

In 2002 the Pilgrim Office in Santiago started asking pilgrims to get two stamps per day in their credenciales or Pilgrim Records. We asked for confirmation and clarification of this new request, and here is their reply:
"Last year we started to control a little bit more the credentials and the stamps, in order to differenciate pilgrims on foot, horse or by bicycle from those who are using other means of transport to come to Santiago. The Cathedral of Saint James wants to be fair with those who are doing the pilgrimage by giving them, and only them, the 'Compostela'. That is the reason why we ask for two stamps per day. However, we understand that if a pilgrim starts the Way in a far away point, it is enough to get only one stamp."

That was twenty years ago!!!

They make the rules because it is they who give a Compostela to pilgrims who follow their rules and who they deem worthy of getting one. And as to freedom ... every pilgrim is free to not ask for a Compostela. I know it for certain. Not a single soul forced me to get two stamps between Sarria and Santiago and not a single soul forced me to apply for a Compostela when I had arrived in Santiago or to prove that I qualify for one. :cool:

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Begin??? 😂

Do you not know how old this discussion is?

It began probably in the previous century and by 2010 it was already in full swing, see this forum thread: The 2-stamps rule. The thread was started on 2 July 2010 and by that time the two stamps rule was already explicitly stated on the website of the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. And if you look a little bit into what has already been written long before today, you will find this by the British CSJ Camino association:

In 2002 the Pilgrim Office in Santiago started asking pilgrims to get two stamps per day in their credenciales or Pilgrim Records. We asked for confirmation and clarification of this new request, and here is their reply:
"Last year we started to control a little bit more the credentials and the stamps, in order to differenciate pilgrims on foot, horse or by bicycle from those who are using other means of transport to come to Santiago. The Cathedral of Saint James wants to be fair with those who are doing the pilgrimage by giving them, and only them, the 'Compostela'. That is the reason why we ask for two stamps per day. However, we understand that if a pilgrim starts the Way in a far away point, it is enough to get only one stamp."

That was twenty years ago!!!
Thank you!

I’m a little embarrassed about starting (continuing) this discussion. All I really wanted to know was if I needed to space my two stamps per day across the day or if I could get them both in the evening. The answer came early - either is fine. My apologies for poking a stick in the hornets nest 🥴.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’m a little embarrassed about starting (continuing) this discussion.
I wouldn't be. You got your answer, and the spectacle of an interesting debate. I wouldn't call it a discussion myself, because the explanations by @henrythedog and later by @Kathar1na are really matters of fact. But your question has resulted in some of use now being better informed.

There were even some along side the path - didn't even need to leave the trail or enter a bar to get them!

one would have to have the cognitive ability of yeast to ‘forget’ this simple stipulation, or fail to find a simple workaround.
I totally get what you are saying - it is an easy goal to accomplish. That said - after walking from SJPDP or some other long distance - and only collecting 1 stamp a day most days - it is easy for some to forget. Which is why it is good that most of the individuals working in the pilgrims office mix following rules with some degree of compassion....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I totally get what you are saying - it is an easy goal to accomplish. That said - after walking from SJPDP or some other long distance - and only collecting 1 stamp a day most days - it is easy for some to forget. Which is why it is good that most of the individuals working in the pilgrims office mix following rules with some degree of compassion....
I was very aware of this following my first CF. I tried harder to get two a day on the CI a few years later, and was only stymied once. So when I did my second CF with my wife, I resolved to get into the practice of collecting sellos wherever and whenever I conveniently could, not just where we stayed, but at places where we ate, churches we visited if they were open, etc.

By the time we got to Sarria, it had become a habit, and we didn't have a problem collecting stamps, and exceeding, the required minimum.

Last edited:
Hello all,

Welcome to the Camino and hope your having a lovely time , no doubt you already been told you can get the two stamps from anywhere ..

There was a fellow who walked from SJPDP. He could manage 40 km days with no problem. When he got to Santiago, he had really hit his stride and was doing well over 40 km days. He forgot to get 2 cellos per day between Sarria and Santiago - recall it is a bit over 100km and he did that stretch in less than three days. When he got to Santiago, he was denied a compostella because he only had 2 or 3 stamps total for that stretch.

The cellos are the attempt at evidence that you walked. Two per day with an average of 20-25 km walked per day equals 8 to 10 cellos for the average person. If I were working the pilgrim office desk, I’d be looking to see a geographical spread of stamps. But the rules don’t say that, they simply need two per day … so get them wherever you want.

My first arrival into Santiago, I had multiple credentials that I handed over, as I’d started in Le Puy, and they barely glanced at my stamps. I think the shape I was in and the tears in my eyes were evidence enough.

Your mileage will vary….

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.