• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two step bank verification texts

pierrenaples

Time of past OR future Camino
2022 Sep-Oct Camino Frances
So I’ve been stressing on this issue more than anything so far and I think I have a working solutio.

Like everyone I worried that I would get to Spain, install a local chip into my cellphone and then not be able to respond to the bank when I go to withdraw cash at an ATM without doing some rushed digital jujitsu and hoping it all works. The issue is we can’t get text sms messages from our phones either on Airplane mode or sim removed.

The solution: The bank needs a working number to send this code to, So prior to leaving home sign up for a Google account, free. Then install Google Voice App on your cellphone.

Follow the simple steps and get a local virtual number near where you live. Usually the closet big city.
Test that it works from another phone, send a text to it, call it, just verify it works on your cellphone.

Next get online with the bank that issued your credit/debit/ATM card and change your contact number to the new Google number and save changes. You can do this with anyone you get codes from while you will be away. Also notify all of these companies that you will be traveling with dates and countries so you will get less alerts or denials from them.

Since you supplied your banks with a local number that you verified works they are happy. Once you get up on you new data only sim, or data/phone sim you will see that the Google Voice App can send and receive both voice and texts over whatever data plan you use including a foreign one much like WhatsApp does but with the added bonus of now being linked to you banks security feature.

Another feature of this app is that it emails all texts to your gmail account as well.

Hope this helps and Buen Camino

Edit: I do not plan on using the phone feature at all unless for emergencies with home and would never call a number in Europe with this as that could incur charges. The text feature is what I would need most.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So I’ve been stressing on this issue more than anything so far and I think I have a working solutio.

Like everyone I worried that I would get to Spain, install a local chip into my cellphone and then not be able to respond to the bank when I go to withdraw cash at an ATM without doing some rushed digital jujitsu and hoping it all works. The issue is we can’t get text sms messages from our phones either on Airplane mode or sim removed.

The solution: The bank needs a working number to send this code to, So prior to leaving home sign up for a Google account, free. Then install Google Voice App on your cellphone.

Follow the simple steps and get a local virtual number near where you live. Usually the closet big city.
Test that it works from another phone, send a text to it, call it, just verify it works on your cellphone.

Next get online with the bank that issued your credit/debit/ATM card and change your contact number to the new Google number and save changes. You can do this with anyone you get codes from while you will be away. Also notify all of these companies that you will be traveling with dates and countries so you will get less alerts or denials from them.

Since you supplied your banks with a local number that you verified works they are happy. Once you get up on you new data only sim, or data/phone sim you will see that the Google Voice App can send and receive both voice and texts over whatever data plan you use including a foreign one much like WhatsApp does but with the added bonus of now being linked to you banks security feature.

Another feature of this app is that it emails all texts to your gmail account as well.

Available only in the USA last I looked. Available in other countries only for business customers.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Like everyone I worried that I would get to Spain, install a local chip into my cellphone and then not be able to respond to the bank when I go to withdraw cash at an ATM without doing some rushed digital jujitsu and hoping it all works.
To add more reassurance to you - I have never had an issue with just using my card at an ATM while abroad - no call or text from my bank required.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
To add more reassurance to you - I have never had an issue with just using my card at an ATM while abroad - no call or text from my bank required.
I get the 2 step here at home, just trying to make sure if it happens there I can still get what I need.

But thanks for the reassurance.

Google FI and Google Voice for use by the everyday (non-business) user are for US residents only.

Google FI will do much the same for you.

An alternative to changing phone numbers at the banks and other places texting you codes would be to change your phone's settings to forward calls and texts to the Google Voice number.

I think you will see two factor authentication used mainly when using bank apps not when at an ATM.

Double check me on this but when overseas you can make international calls cheaply using Voice. Get into Airplane Mode first (important) then turn on Wifi and make a connection. Then call using Voice. The last time I looked calls from Spain to US landlines are a penny a minute, to cell phones two cents per minute.

See these threads also:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Never use ATM, so when I do yes I get texted a code to verify. I'm guessing It will happen in Spain as well.
At ATMs I use the bank checks that it is me with the following two checks. Rick owns a card with his account number encoded and only he is supposed to have it. Let's perform a second check. Only we and he are supposed to know his PIN. Let's ask him for it and if we agree we'll let him continue.

My bank apps though ask for a name and password first (something I know). Then they send a code via text to my phone, something only I should have. If I enter the code correctly then I have the phone and have passed the two factor authentication.

In Europe instead of a phone many have a gizmo to handle the code part.

Just to confirm what @trecile says: for European customers in Europe, two-step authentification is only for online transactions i.e. when you buy a train ticket or order new shoes. Each time you must use a new unique code. In contrast, for cash withdrawal at an ATM, you need your personal pin code to identify yourself which remains the same for every withdrawal.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
At ATMs I use the bank checks that it is me with the following two checks. Rick owns a card with his account number encoded and only he is supposed to have it. Let's perform a second check. Only we and he are supposed to know his PIN. Let's ask him for it and if we agree we'll let him continue.

My bank apps though ask for a name and password first (something I know). Then they send a code via text to my phone, something only I should have. If I enter the code correctly then I have the phone and have passed the two factor authentication.

In Europe instead of a phone many have a gizmo to handle the code part.

When will it end?

In the UK two-factor authentication is becoming ubiquitous for web transactions; but thus far cash withdrawals via an ATM and debit or credit card transactions in person (with the physical card) only require a PIN.

For low-value transactions ‘contactless’ or ‘tap and go’ is commonplace with a PIN only required every 5-10 times.

Two-factor authentication for a withdrawal using a physical card with the correct PIN does seem a bit over-the-top; but there’s no level of inconvenience a bank will not put its customers to in order to protect its cash.

When will it end?

In the UK two-factor authentication is becoming ubiquitous for web transactions; but thus far cash withdrawals via an ATM and debit or credit card transactions in person (with the physical card) only require a PIN.
Is it any different in Spain? Has anyone ever needed two-factor authentication in Spain for cash withdrawal at an ATM? I somehow doubt it.

Is it any different in Spain? Has anyone ever needed two-factor authentication in Spain for cash withdrawal at an ATM? I somehow doubt it.
I think we were simultaneously typing similar comment; albeit mine with a laborious single-finger and a greater degree of hysterical incredulity. It’s also approaching ‘chucking-out-time*’ here which might account for greater emotion on my part.

*that probably doesn’t translate outside the north-west of England.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I count eleven times I have been abroad in the last 8 years and I have never had to notify my bank. My private pin number has always been sufficient; I always use my Charles Schwab debit card.

I count eleven times I have been abroad in the last 8 years and I have never had to notify my bank. My private pin number has always been sufficient; I always use my Charles Schwab debit card.
I do notify my bank before I leave to let them know which countries I will be traveling to. But at the ATM? Never.

I think we were simultaneously typing similar comment; albeit mine with a laborious single-finger and a greater degree of hysterical incredulity. It’s also approaching ‘chucking-out-time*’ here which might account for greater emotion on my part.

Here: single index finger; medium level of calm incredulity; no beer in sight. Do they still say “last orders”?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I do notify my bank before I leave to let them know which countries I will be traveling to. But at the ATM? Never.
I had called my main credit card company (Capital One) recently to notify them I was to be out of the country and they told me it is no longer necessay to do that. I have never notified my local bank nor Charles Schwab, who I have my debit card with.

You could suspend the 2 factor identification for the trip. Also some 2 factor ID systems give your options of phone numbers or email addresses.

I have T-mobile and have access to my texts overseas for free. If I make a phone call however, it is 20 cents per minutes. So I turn off the phone portion of my phone and forward all my calls to my Google phone account and get my messages (transcript as well as the voice recording) in my email. It works well for me

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Are you sure you need this?

US cell phone providers have much better international plans than even 5 years ago.

I used to buy a local Sim card as a normal practice, but about five years ago that started to change.

Calls are still expensive but who does that anymore?

I have T-Mobile and I think I paid a total of an extra $5.00 across two bills covering our time in Spain. Texting was free and so was 3G data.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had called my main credit card company (Capital One) recently to notify them I was to be out of the country and they told me it is no longer necessay to do that. I have never notified my local bank nor Charles Schwab, who I have my debit card with.
I have two cerit cards with Chase, and they also no longer need to be notified, but Schwab does have a form to fill out on their site to notify them of travel plans, so I do. The last thing I want is to have problems getting cash from an ATM.

Edit: I do not plan on using the phone feature at all unless for emergencies with home and would never call a number in Europe with this as that could incur charges. The text feature is what I would need most.
Don't get me started. My bank started doing this 2-factor ID several years back--no choice. While I appreciate the attempt to keep our dwindling finances safe, I admit to a level of annoyance every time they make me go through the hoops when I log in or call them, even when I have entered my PIN. Maybe a dozen years ago, I landed in Madrid, went through Customs, et al, went to the ATM to get some euros. Locked out. Had to rent a computer at the airport business center in order to contact my bank (I don't have a phone, and I didn't have their overseas number to call from the business center--I had written it down, but could not find it). Account unfrozen--they said. Toddled off to the closest ATM. Still frozen. Back to the business center. ATM worked. When I got home, I investigated. Turns out the week before I flew out, even though they knew I was going to be gone, I bought online train tickets for Spain. This flagged their computerized fraud system (no human involvement). They didn't bother to tell me the debit card was frozen. (They said they left me a phone message, but since I did not have a phone--too many years on-call--I doubt their veracity.)
Now, before I take off, I triple check that they have me listed as being gone and that they secretly have not put a fraud alert on my account.
As to the google voice, a couple of years ago I installed it on my iPod Touch (what I will do in future, now that Apple announced they are no longer going to continue with iPods, I do not know). GV does not work in Europe although if you pay them some money, you can call overseas from the US. However, you are able to set up your google voice for voice mail. And then you can set voice mail to go to your email, so you can actually read and hear the recording.
That's my work-around for get messages from my bank and the temporary code, instead of having worrying about a phone.
It's always something....

I have two cerit cards with Chase, and they also no longer need to be notified, but Schwab does have a form to fill out on their site to notify them of travel plans, so I do. The last thing I want is to have problems getting cash from an ATM.
Well, if I had a problem I would then switch to my bank ATM debit card. I prefer using the Schwab, but I bring both of them, and also two credit cards.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When you put your card in the ATM you get a text to verify that it's you?
No, but you have to put your pin in when you use the ATM. They're satisfied with that. (NB, I don't do any actual banking while on the Camino, only do cash draws with the ATM.)

Is this something like "last call for alcohol" which the bartender (in Texas) shouts out just before closing?

Never use ATM, so when I do yes I get texted a code to verify. I'm guessing It will happen in Spain as well.
You say you "never use ATM" but seem to have done it at least once. Perhaps there was an extra step the very first time you used your card and you changed or created a PIN number. (I am just guessing here, because I have never heard of anyone having to do a 2-factor verification while standing at an ATM.)

Maybe it would be a good idea to practice by withdrawing some money from an ATM at your home bank to confirm how it works!

In Spain you will need to select a language at the start, the machine will tell you what extra charge will be applied, and you might be asked how you want the currency conversion done - you should answer "Euros."

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Are you sure you need this?

US cell phone providers have much better international plans than even 5 years ago.

I used to buy a local Sim card as a normal practice, but about five years ago that started to change.

Calls are still expensive but who does that anymore?

I have T-Mobile and I think I paid a total of an extra $5.00 across two bills covering our time in Spain. Texting was free and so was 3G data.
Based on a number of posts on this site, the main US mobile providers (e.g. Verizon) still charge a lot for international access, sometimes around $10/day.

I have Consumer Cellular (yeah, the old folks choice) because they're cheap, but I'm about to switch to T-Mobile because coverage in Europe is included in their plan. We'll be in Europe for 3 months this year (incl. walking CP and Mozarabe), so that's important to us. The monthly charge for 2 lines is about $10 more than CC, but that should be it, and T-Mobile's network has better coverage here in the US.

I spent 2 weeks in Holland in April, and even though I tried to minimize my use of mobile networks by using mostly WiFi, my CC bill was still almost $50 more - irritating.

My banks two step verification includes a choice or cell phone or email verification. I chose email and verified that way.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If your phone can use esim, you can keep your regular sim in your phone and use wifi calling feature to continue to recieve 2 step verification texts on your usual number overseas.
It worked well for me.

Just finished the GR65 and now on the Via Francigena in Switzerland. We've had constant need for a security code to be sent to our phone. Not for ATM withdrawals but on many occasions when booking flights, trains, hotels, etc.
We travel with two phones, one has a local Orange French Sim, the other is our Australian local Sim, that one we have the data turned off so we don't pay for global roaming.
It seems to work for us, our bank sends the security code to the Australian phone number and it arrives even with data turned off.

Available only in the USA last I looked. Available in other countries only for business customers.
When I do a bank transfer I need a two step verification also. I live in Mexico. My daughter suggested Google voice as she is the one who receives the verification codes and then sends them to me. She does this because my bank will not send a text overseas.
It does not work in Mexico either. It is a real pain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

You can also set up your notifications to send the message to a trusted phone. It goes directly to the phone, not the phone number.

This does mean that you will need to access wifi or data.

When I do a bank transfer I need a two step verification also. I live in Mexico. My daughter suggested Google voice as she is the one who receives the verification codes and then sends them to me. She does this because my bank will not send a text overseas.
It does not work in Mexico either. It is a real pain.
This may work for you at a moderate cost. Daughter gets cheap phone and cheap prepaid plan (Mint Mobile?). Daughter sets up a Google account (DD&D?, dear dad & daughter) and then adds Voice with calls and texts directed to the new phone. Daughter gives you password to Google account. You change telephone number banks use to text you to the Voice number. Then you use your bank apps followed by an immediate login to the DD&D account to check Voice for text messages. Then think about other ways to use Voice (like maybe it will be easier and cheaper to pay for a business account).

I didn't think about the business account until I wrote everything else.

Another solution is to take 2 step off for your trip. A bit more risk but for a few weeks I had no problem.

€149,-

This is exactly what I did and it has worked quite well. I use What's App for European calls.

This may work for you at a moderate cost. Daughter gets cheap phone and cheap prepaid plan (Mint Mobile?). Daughter sets up a Google account (DD&D?, dear dad & daughter) and then adds Voice with calls and texts directed to the new phone. Daughter gives you password to Google account. You change telephone number banks use to text you to the Voice number. Then you use your bank apps followed by an immediate login to the DD&D account to check Voice for text messages. Then think about other ways to use Voice (like maybe it will be easier and cheaper to pay for a business account).

I didn't think about the business account until I wrote everything else.
Rick thanks for this but if I proposed this to my daughter she would say two things. 1 - No I am not getting a cheap phone even if you pay for it. 2 - Even if I got a cheap phone and you paid for it you would still screw it up. She is 100% correct. I went to the Google voice app and it said it is not available in Mexico where I live. It said the cheapest plan to use Google Voice business is $10US a month. I only need a wire transfer once a month. Also everytime I tried to continue it said it was not available in my country. It is beyond my limited skill set. She will just have to send me my bank code for at least thenear future.
But thanks so much for trying I really do appreciate your effort.

€149,-
Rick thanks for this but if I proposed this to my daughter she would say two things. 1 - No I am not getting a cheap phone even if you pay for it. 2 - Even if I got a cheap phone and you paid for it you would still screw it up. She is 100% correct. I went to the Google voice app and it said it is not available in Mexico where I live. It said the cheapest plan to use Google Voice business is $10US a month. I only need a wire transfer once a month. Also everytime I tried to continue it said it was not available in my country. It is beyond my limited skill set. She will just have to send me my bank code for at least thenear future.
Rick is a good guy and tries to help folks on the forum whenever he can. He has often been appreciated by me, too.

This will get sorted eventually as the major credit card companies are moving away from insecure SMS txt two factor authentication (2FA) to more secure and more convenient methods such as fingerprint scans and selfies on your phone.

At the moment the banks are left to decide for themselves how to implement 2FA and so they choose the cheapest, easiest for them which happens to be the least secure and most awkward for international travellers who are on longer trips.

While waiting for the credit card companies to force the banks to use more secure methods you could try complaining to your bank and asking them to offer alternative 2FA methods.

I provided the links to this stuff in January on this post https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-visa-and-sms-verification.72830/#post-989494

One possible simple alternative for you in the meantime is to buy a cheap, GSM non-smartphone. I can get one here for under NZ$50 and so they should be even cheaper over where you live.

Get a pay as you go or very cheap account with a local telco.

Register the phone number with your bank.

Ensure that your telco allows roaming on the account you have with them.

Take this as an extra phone when you go to Spain.

While in Spain if you want to use your credit card then turn on this phone beforehand so that it is ready.

Receive the 2FA text on it when it comes.

Turn the phone off again.

Yes, and this was my problem when in Europe last month. Not all, but some, financial transactions were set up so that a security SMS would be sent to my Australian mobile phone number. I did not get these in Europe where I had a local SIM card, so consequently could not use that bank account. I had tried to get around it by changing my Australian SIM to an e-Sim (my phone has both a hard SIM spot, and the ability to add an e-SIM) but it did not work.

It was a pain. I tried to get the bank to change it by telephoning from Europe and asking for the one-time password to be sent to my email, or for me to use an authenticator app, but they said it was not possible without confirming via SMS to the phone!

Just something to be aware of. I always take a couple of cards from different financial institutions so that if something does not work with one, I have a fallback.

Good to read of all the different possibilities in this thread. Hopefully something will work!

You could suspend the 2 factor identification for the trip
Another solution is to take 2 step off for your trip.
I don’t understand these suggestions.

Two-factor authentication, in the context of this thread, can refer to 2FA required when you access your own bank account for online banking OR to 2FA when required for booking or buying goods or services from a vendor in the EU and paying for it online by credit card. When the Spanish vendor has set up their website in such a way that 2FA is required your own foreign bank or credit card issuer may have no means to overrule it.

A prime example is the Albergue of Roncesvalles and has been for years: you can only book a bed online on their website when your credit card is enabled for 2FA and you enter the specific unique code that your bank generates for you. The same goes for the Cathedral of Santiago’s website: you can only book a visit to the Portico of the Glory online on their website when your credit card is enabled for 2FA and you enter the specific unique code that your bank generates for you. Of course you can always turn up in person at the albergue or the Cathedral’s office and pay by credit card and in this case no 2FA is required (or only in the form of a PIN that you use repeatedly but not in the form of a unique code that gets specifically generated and can only be used once).

If you “had no problems for a few weeks” you may simply never have used such a Spanish website to book or buy something online or it was set up to provide other payment options like PayPal or for some other reason. But if you encounter a website with a 2FA hurdle you will need to generate and receive your unique code to successfully complete the transaction. There is no way around it.

Last edited:
This will get sorted eventually as the major credit card companies are moving away from insecure SMS txt two factor authentication (2FA) to more secure and more convenient methods such as fingerprint scans and selfies on your phone.

At the moment the banks are left to decide for themselves how to implement 2FA and so they choose the cheapest, easiest for them which happens to be the least secure and most awkward for international travellers who are on longer trips.

While waiting for the credit card companies to force the banks to use more secure methods you could try complaining to your bank and asking them to offer alternative 2FA methods.

I provided the links to this stuff in January on this post https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-visa-and-sms-verification.72830/#post-989494
I tried to complain to Bank of America about an alternative method. That is the bank I use for transfers (it is a long boring story why using them is the best for my circumstances). I spoke to a supervisor and basically she politely and sympathetically told me tough nuggies.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Rick is a good guy and tries to help folks on the forum whenever he can. He has often been appreciated by me, too.
Google FI and Google Voice for use by the everyday (non-business) user are for US residents only.
Rick is not just a good guy he is one of the all time greats here on our forum as are you Chrissy. I alway. like to read both of your postings. You guys always have something of value to say. Thanks to you both!

Rick is not just a good guy he is one of the all time greats here on our forum as are you Chrissy. I alway. like to read both of your postings. You guys always have something of value to say. Thanks to you both!
What a kind thing to say. I enjoy your input as well. Half of my posts are poking fun cuz I do love humor🙃, as well as interjecting comments of a more serious nature.

Last edited:

€83,-
Is this just a North American thing. Don’t think it applies to UK customers. We just need a pin for an ATM transaction anywhere world. I don’t need to tell my bank where I am .

Is this just a North American thing. Don’t think it applies to UK customers. We just need a pin for an ATM transaction anywhere world. I don’t need to tell my bank where I am .
It's not a North American thing at all. I only need two step verification when I'm logging into my account on a new device/computer for the first time, or setting up my bank's app on my phone. I can't recall any time that I've been on the Camino that I've done something that requires it. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, but for me it hasn't been necessary.

I live in the USA and I only use my private pin number at ATM's, both at home and internationally.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's not a North American thing at all. I only need two step verification when I'm logging into my account on a new device/computer for the first time, or setting up my bank's app on my phone. I can't recall any time that I've been on the Camino that I've done something that requires it. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, but for me it hasn't been necessary.
Thank you! I only skimmed posts but it sounded quite a big deal! Thankfully not !

Let me repeat. ATMs use two factor authentication. They require the person trying to access an account to provide something that only the account holder should have and something that only the account holder should know. These are the card and the PIN respectively.

Perhaps at some point they may require another factor, something that the account holder is (weird wording but generally the term usage means using a unique biometric verification like an eye scan or fingerprint).

Let me repeat. ATMs use two factor authentication. They require the person trying to access an account to provide something that only the account holder should have and something that only the account holder should know. These are the card and the PIN respectively.
I think the confusion here is that, strictly speaking, having an ATM card and inputting a PIN IS a form of 2-factor authentification (using that as a generic term).

But my sense is that people here are discussing the particular type of 2-factor authentification that many banks, in North America and elsewhere, are now wanting to use--they require a live contact with you after you put in your account and password--before you get access to your account online.

It sounds from comments here that some European websites also now are requiring this, or similar, when you make an online payment.

I haven't run into the second when in Europe, as yet, but definitely have found the first a problem with Canadian banking online, when I'm in Portugal. I bank at two different credit unions. One allows you to choose either a phone number for texts (North American numbers only). The second allows you to choose between receiving a text or receiving an email. The first, which in Canada is my primary account, is a total pain to deal with. Luckily I have the second, for emergencies.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I live in the USA and I only use my private pin number at ATM's, both at home and internationally.
Thank you!
I think the confusion here is that, strictly speaking, having an ATM card and inputting a PIN IS a form of 2-factor authentification (using that as a generic term).

But my sense is that people here are discussing the particular type of 2-factor authentification that many banks, in North America and elsewhere, are now wanting to use--they require a live contact with you after you put in your account and password--before you get access to your account online.

It sounds from comments here that some European websites also now are requiring this, or similar, when you make an online payment.

I haven't run into the second when in Europe, as yet, but definitely have found the first a problem with Canadian banking online, when I'm in Portugal. I bank at two different credit unions. One allows you to choose either a phone number for texts (North American numbers only). The second allows you to choose between receiving a text or receiving an email. The first, which in Canada is my primary account, is a total pain to deal with. Luckily I have the second, for emergencies.
thank you. When I book something online such as music tickets I (UK customer, Monzo bank) get asked to approve it via app. Sorry hope Not taken thread off at a tangent! Crack on.. as you were!!

Is this just a North American thing.
From my reading, the solution proposed is for all those countries immediately north of Mexico.

2FA is not a bank "thing" as such.

In my experience it is applied by a merchant. For example, accommodation etc.

@DoughnutANZ, per his posts above, has examined this with his bank.

I am doing the same with my bank (which I think is the same as his) and don't have a solution yet.

As I understand it, the issue arises immediately after leaving my last domestic airport.

From that point I will not be able to receive SMS / text messages to my home SIM card.

On the 30 hour journey I may need to pay for accommodation or other necessaries of life. If the merchant (credit card speak) used 2FA to confirm the sale, then it will be "card declined".

On arrival in the UK there will be a delay while I get a UK SIM and tell my bank and they action this. They tell me it takes about 2 working days to action messages sent to them using their app.

After a week of schmoozing the UK rellies, I travel to my next start point in eastern France and get a local (hopefully EU wide) SIM card and securely tell my home bank of the new number. Another two days or so to action that advise.

Please advise.

In the meantime I will take care and be strong (kia kaha)

I tried to complain to Bank of America about an alternative method. That is the bank I use for transfers (it is a long boring story why using them is the best for my circumstances). I spoke to a supervisor and basically she politely and sympathetically told me tough nuggies.
Yes, unfortunately that is likely to be the response that we get as individuals but as more of us do it, slowly they will realise that there is a customer demand for a better method and businesses will start to meet that demand. Thanks for the contribution to our future.

No 2FA using SMS text messages are needed in order to use ATM machines. They are only needed to use certain websites.

The number of websites in Europe that require you to use 2FA for payments will rise. This is because in 2019 the EU introduced new regulations as part of a common payment policy.

My January posts refer
They further explain why the new process is required:
due to new regulations that came into effect on 14th September 2019. Introduced by the second Payment Services Directive (PSD2), these new regulations are designed to keep your information safe, reduce fraud and make shopping online even more secure.
PSD2 is an EU directive that is designed to contribute to the development of a single payment market in the EU.

This date in 2019 also explains, for me, why we are suddenly starting to see this security process more often

This directive has incentivised the credit card companies to work to make things easier. This work is explained in this quote.

Visa are developing their own authentication API but unfortunately the details of it are only available to developers who have agreed to Visa's terms and conditions that then prevent any discussion of the API. If you are interested then see https://developer.visa.com/capabilities/visa-biometric-authentiator-app

Mastercard are also developing their own authentication app and in their case you can at least read about it at https://developer.mastercard.com/product/identity-check-mobile/

MasterCard have a very nice explanation of their developments, as per this quote.

Mastercard UK have a very nice explanation of their new two factor authentication (2FA) security system and this can be accessed here: https://www.mastercard.co.uk/en-gb/personal/safety-security/strong-customer-authentication.html

Correct

Following is a quote from one of my banks on this issue:

Visa and Mastercard credit cards and Visa debit cards use Verified by Visa, Visa Secure, Mastercard Securecode and Mastercard ID Check that help in making sure your card is not being used online without your permission.

Most participating merchants may display any of the below logos on their site:

Screenshot_20220704-121203.png

If you don't see the Visa Secure/Identity Check logo, the merchant may still be a participant and you may be prompted to provide your details.

Visa Secure and Mastercard secure code is a free service that works automatically in the background, and most of the time your purchase will go straight through. Occasionally for some online purchases made from participating retailers you may see a screen where Xxxxbank asks for some extra information which help to keep your card safe.

From my reading, the solution proposed is for all those countries immediately north of Mexico.

2FA is not a bank "thing" as such.

In my experience it is applied by a merchant. For example, accommodation etc.

Yes, a combination of the merchant, governmental agencies (in the EU) and Visa/Mastercard. NB. The banks issue cards and control the money but Visa/MasterCard make the rules.

@DoughnutANZ, per his posts above, has examined this with his bank.

I am doing the same with my bank (which I think is the same as his) and don't have a solution yet.

As I understand it, the issue arises immediately after leaving my last domestic airport.

From that point I will not be able to receive SMS / text messages to my home SIM card.

This depends. If you allow roaming on your ANZ phone number and if you are prepared to pay the roaming charges then you can continue to get 2FA texts on your phone except when it is in Flight mode.

I generally allow roaming and am prepared to pay the roaming charges, if I need to, until I get my local (UK or EU) SIM card.

On the 30 hour journey I may need to pay for accommodation or other necessaries of life. If the merchant (credit card speak) used 2FA to confirm the sale, then it will be "card declined".

See above. If you don't have roaming on then yes, you may miss a text and your card could be declined. BUT, this will never happen when you and your card are physically present in front of the merchant. It can only happen when you are buying something over the internet or over the phone.

On arrival in the UK there will be a delay while I get a UK SIM and tell my bank and they action this. They tell me it takes about 2 working days to action messages sent to them using their app.

Correct

After a week of schmoozing the UK rellies, I travel to my next start point in eastern France and get a local (hopefully EU wide) SIM card and securely tell my home bank of the new number. Another two days or so to action that advise.

Correct again.

Please advise.

Either use roaming on a phone number that your bank already has to cover those periods between them actioning your change of number or if you know that you will need to buy something (like a ticket) over the internet then do that before you leave.

In the meantime I will take care and be strong (kia kaha)

This is the main issue for credit card holders from the USA in particular when they wish to make online bookings or online purchases in Spain / on Spanish websites (as well as in other EU countries). There are numerous exemptions that the law (known as 2nd Payment Services Directive) allows and many of these pilgrims will never encounter a problem either because they don’t use websites with such requirements or where there are exemptions or alternative payments methods like PayPal or because the PSD requirements have not even been implemented yet by a vendor. The problem lies entirely with how their US credit card is configured and how the one-time code required for the booking or payment is generated and sent to them.

There may be other issues with other forms of 2FA but this is the main issue.

This is the main issue for credit card holders from the USA in particular when they wish to make online bookings or online purchases in Spain / on Spanish websites (as well as in other EU countries). There are numerous exemptions that the law (known as 2nd Payment Services Directive) allows and many of these pilgrims will never encounter a problem either because they don’t use websites with such requirements or where there are exemptions or alternative payments methods like PayPal or because the PSD requirements have not even been implemented yet by a vendor.
(Asking to forestall future problems) Does Amazon.es (Spain) use this?

(Asking to forestall future problems) Does Amazon.es (Spain) use this?
Can’t say about Amazon.es because I don’t have an account with them. I have accounts with Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de and they do not require 2FA for every indivicual purchase.

(Remark: I don’t know why, I’m surprised that these European Amazon sites don’t use it or don’t have to use it. The UK opted to stay in SEPA after Brexit - Single European Payment Area - which is why they comply with these SEPA rules as I understand it).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
deadhorse.gif
Considering the almost infinite number of intricacies related to the various countries in/from which you can make your purchases, there is no way anybody can fully answer all of them. So IMHO it might be best to wrap up this discussion and wish everybody good luck.

View attachment 128968
Considering the almost infinite number of intricacies related to the various countries in/from which you can make your purchases, there is no way anybody can fully answer all of them. So IMHO it might be best to wrap up this discussion and wish everybody good luck.
I sometimes feel that way when ATM fees at Spanish ATMs or around the world and Charles Schwab accounts are discussed but I never feel the need to share my feelings with the forum let alone illustrate it with an animated gif and suggest or demand thread closure. Nobody is obliged to read this thread or follow it or read every post of the thread. The title is clear: “Two step bank verification texts”. Boring? Doesn’t interest me? There is an easy solution: skip it.

View attachment 128968
Absolutely brilliant! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
If anyone suggests that they have never demanded or suggested thread closures....don't you believe it. This forum is littered with ir.

€149,-
I sometimes feel that way when ATM fees at Spanish ATMs or around the world and Charles Schwab accounts are discussed but I never feel the need to share my feelings with the forum let alone illustrate it with an animated gif and suggest or demand thread closure. Nobody is obliged to read this thread or follow it or read every post of the thread. The title is clear: “Two step bank verification texts”. Boring? Doesn’t interest me? There is an easy solution: skip it.
I'm afraid you completely misunderstood my post. The issue is NOT whether I consider it boring: I have followed it from the beginning because the topic interested me. However, we are now at post #69 and most of the posts in quite a while have been rehashing the same points, or are very specific to certain countries or financial institutions. It appears to me that the discussion has run its course and we have indeed been beating a dead horse for too long. Just my opinion.

I'm afraid you completely misunderstood my post. The issue is NOT whether I consider it boring: I have followed it from the beginning because the topic interested me. However, we are now at post #69 and most of the posts in quite a while have been rehashing the same points, or are very specific to certain countries or financial institutions. It appears to me that the discussion has run its course and we have indeed been beating a dead horse for too long. Just my opinion.
And in what way is that any different from any other long thread? 😂

And in what way is that any different from any other long thread? 😂
None. But I've noticed that eventually the Mods step in and close them. I only wanted to suggest that we wrap it up, as nothing new was being offered.

None. But I've noticed that eventually the Mods step in and close them. I only wanted to suggest that we wrap it up, as nothing new was being offered.
We moderators step in and close threads that become contentious and argumentative with little hope of getting back on track with helpful information. I don't see that that has happened here. I have learned a bit about how two factor authentication works in other countries.

I have followed it from the beginning because the topic interested me.
Btw, I did not want to make it more confusing for people unfamiliar with it all, and so I used the expression two-factor authentication and 2FA throughout the thread but what the initial poster is worried about and had heard about is SCA -Strong Customer Authentication - and it has become “a thing” for us in Europe during the last few years, and an issue for some from outside Europe.

SCA is a specific form of 2FA with a specific context and I’m confident that the initial poster knows now that there is no need to worry. It does no concern ATM withdrawals by US credit card holders in Spain and none of the technical solutions proposed in the thread need to be implemented by him.

This is the main issue for credit card holders from the USA in particular when they wish to make online bookings or online purchases in Spain / on Spanish websites (as well as in other EU countries). There are numerous exemptions that the law (known as 2nd Payment Services Directive) allows and many of these pilgrims will never encounter a problem either because they don’t use websites with such requirements or where there are exemptions or alternative payments methods like PayPal or because the PSD requirements have not even been implemented yet by a vendor. The problem lies entirely with how their US credit card is configured and how the one-time code required for the booking or payment is generated and sent to them.

There may be other issues with other forms of 2FA but this is the main issue.
I live in Mexico and it is very difficult for an American (even though I have a permanent Resident Card) to get a Mexican Credit Card. There are two banks I work with and neither bank will give me a card. I used to have most of my online transactions rejected when dealing with a Mexican based company or website. It seems to be getting better now. Of course using it in person is never a problem. Whenever possible (like booking flights) I go to a US website to avoid paying the foreign transaction fee.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I live in Mexico and it is very difficult for an American (even though I have a permanent Resident Card) to get a Mexican Credit Card. There are two banks I work with and neither bank will give me a card. I used to have most of my online transactions rejected when dealing with a Mexican based company or website. It seems to be getting better now. Of course using it in person is never a problem. Whenever possible (like booking flights) I go to a US website to avoid paying the foreign transaction fee.
What about asking your Mexican banks for a Debit card? They work and look like a Credit card but I find that banks are happier to issue them and I get to actively control my risk by maintaining only a token amount in the account until I need to make a payment.

@DoughnutANZ, thanks for your observations above. I know you have given this much thought.

To overcome delays with one's home bank recognising the new "foreign" phone number, a solution occurs: but there is a weight cost, as well as a financial one.

My suggestion is either carry two phones or carry one phone that has two sim card slots.

For me that would be a 250 gram weight disadvantage.

I will still take my tablet (11 inch screen) with a local European SIM to get data and so use the various tools I find necessary when on camino for the two to three months away

Hopefully, that way I can ignore the inefficiencies and uncertaincies of my bank and have reason to expect peace of mind.

Thoughts?

I have 2 dual (physical) sim phones. I'm pretty sure the basic none smart one weighs less than 150g.
Even if you need to carry 2 phones, you only need one smartphone.

€83,-
My suggestion is either carry two phones or carry one phone that has two sim card slots

Yes, both these suggestions will work. Whenever I buy a new phone I always make sure that it takes two SIMs and so I use the second suggestion.

I will still take my tablet (11 inch screen) with a local European SIM to get data and so use the various tools I find necessary when on camino for the two to three months away

This will work if you allow roaming on your ANZ phone. Just be disciplined enough not to answer calls on it unless you are happy to pay international roaming rates. The bank text messages cost about $0.50 when overseas but there are not many of them so it usually isn't a big deal.

@DoughnutANZ, thanks for your observations above. I know you have given this much thought.

To overcome delays with one's home bank recognising the new "foreign" phone number, a solution occurs: but there is a weight cost, as well as a financial one.

My suggestion is either carry two phones or carry one phone that has two sim card slots.

For me that would be a 250 gram weight disadvantage.

Hopefully, that way I can ignore the inefficiencies and uncertaincies of my bank and have reason to expect peace of mind.

Thoughts?
Can you advise your banks of departure dates and return dates along with those countries you will be visiting? That may keep you from having to use the verification

Just a suggestion.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In the fall of 2019 my phone died on the Madrid. I bought a phone in Segovia with the ability to use two SIM cards. I was told that that same phone would work with my Verizon SIM card in the United States. Only to return to the United States and find that European phones don't work in the United States on a Verizon system.

Just a heads up.

Now if there is tech person out there that can tell me otherwise or tell me how to use that phone I'd appreciate it.

What about asking your Mexican banks for a Debit card? They work and look like a Credit card but I find that banks are happier to issue them and I get to actively control my risk by maintaining only a token amount in the account until I need to make a payment.
I do have a debit card from Santander bank and I use that to get money and if necessary pay at the grocery store. I like to pay cash and always have as it helps me to control my spending and be more disciplined. My wife is Mexican so she has no problem having a credit card and if we have a larger purchase we use hers so that takes care of the problem. When I am on the Camino I use my Schwab debit card. I am sure you have heard others speak of this debit card. It is great because they refund any and all bank charges back to me so I can go to any ATM without worry. But Mr. Doughnut, I sure would like my own credit card issued from Mexico to make my life a little easier and avoid the fees from my American one. If and when we ever meet please have a glazed or sugar doughnut in your rucksack (do you guys you that word like the Brits?) for me!!! A little cold milk would be nice too!

Now if there is tech person out there that can tell me otherwise or tell me how to use that phone I'd appreciate it.
You need to switch carriers to one using the GSM protocol like T-Mobile or AT&T or carrier's that piggy-back off them like Mint Mobile or Google FI. Most of the world uses GSM so I can see how you got a bum steer.

Verizon uses the CDMA protocol. Sprint, not part of T-mobile, is in the process of switching to GSM. I think US Cellular is still on CDMA.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You need to switch carriers to one using the GSM protocol like T-Mobile or AT&T or carrier's that piggy-back off them like Mint Mobile or Google FI. Most of the world uses GSM so I can see how you got a bum steer.

Verizon uses the CDMA protocol. Sprint, not part of T-mobile, is in the process of switching to GSM. I think US Cellular is still on CDMA.

My Android works in Europe however the one purchased there won't work. I always assumed it was because of low prices for phones in Europe verses the beer thousand + contract commitment for a phone purchased here.

Can you advise your banks of departure dates and return dates along with those countries you will be visiting? That may keep you from having to use the verification

Just a suggestion.

Thanks @Scott Sweeney. That is standard process for most Kiwis.

And enabled my bank to reverse a large one-off in person purchase from a bricks and mortar merchant across The Ditch in Sydney shortly after a declared trip to Canada and USA. The real card had been "sniffed" somewhere in North America. This when 2FA was unknown and pins were not enforced by merchants.

But no, it wont avoid 2FA (or CFA, thanks @Kathar1na)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I carry a dual sim phone . The my Home sim number is on roaming but no roaming data. So I can still get 2 factor authentication .

How about setting up your accounts with an authenticator app? The authenticator apps doesn't rely on your phone number.

How about setting up your accounts with an authenticator app? The authenticator apps doesn't rely on your phone number.
with my banks which i have already tried in different parts of the world as long as the app is already installed, it doesn't matter. To try turn off your mobile data. Then connect on your wifi. Use your bank app . It should go thru. Then you will get the 2-factor code on your mobile SMS then enter that.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Not every bank offers this. My experience with banks is that the system is what it is. I've never had a choice about how to do the 2 factor authentication.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.