Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims
By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign

Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Using iphone or iPad? Add forum icon to your home screen. Here is how to do it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Over 10 years of Camino Q&As in one place. Sign Up and plan your camino with us. It's free!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Two weeks and have all my nights pre booked!

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Annalisa, Mar 20, 2017 at 3:23 AM.

1. Annalisa

Annalisa New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Arrive in Biarritz on June 25, 2017
    I

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 3:48 AM
    HedaP likes this.
  2. trecile

trecile Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances August - September(2016)
    July - August (2017) - Camino Frances to Leon, Salvador to Oviedo, Primitivo to Santiago and beyond...
    Are you prepared to change your bookings if you decide to walk farther or shorter than planned??

Annalisa likes this.
  3. Annalisa

Annalisa New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Yes if something would change along the way! I will be walking from St Jean June 25 to Burgos July 9.

4. Annalisa

Annalisa New Member

Camino(s) past & future:

5. Kent Davis

Kent Davis Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Completed CF in Oct 2016
    I booked all the way from SJPP to Santiago and was glad I did since it was my first time. I might do it differently the next time but this worked out well for me. I was in the minority of people that did the walk but I would say about 30% booked the full trip ahead and no one I ran into complained about it. The downside is if you sustain an injury and you have to slow down or take a day off; but there are many ways to catch up if that happens.

Annalisa likes this.
  6. falcon269

falcon269 no commercial interests

Camino(s) past & future:
    yes
    I booked tonight standing in front of the albergue. I am on the Camino.

THAT is a real fear of commitment, I am afraid! A month of bookings is far beyond my ken.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 8:19 PM
  7. Anniesantiago

Anniesantiago Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances 2006,9,11,12,13,14, 16, Aragones 2011,12,
    VDLP 2011, 13, Lourdes 2012, Portuguese 2008, Madrid 2014, (2016)
    Just please be sure to call and cancel if you have changes in plans.
    That way, some poor pilgrim won't be without a bed because they're holding it for you.

biarritzdon and Annalisa like this.
  8. Annalisa

Annalisa New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. I will only walking from June 25 - July 9. So I only had to plan two weeks. Since I have bad migraines I thought getting a private room most nights would help. Next year when I pick up where I leave off I may do it differently.

9. Annalisa

Annalisa New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    I will for sure. I will not be taking a room/bed from a poor pilgrim so no worries on that.

Anniesantiago likes this.
  10. Annalisa

Annalisa New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Enjoy I only have two weeks and this is my first experience of the or any Camino. I have done 50 mile trail runs so I am up for the miles. Since I am going alone and suffer from migraines private rooms most nights seemed like the best option. Also my husband felt more comfortable knowing where I will be staying and felt part of the planning. Next year maybe it will be different. But everyone has a different comfort level. Aren't we all just pilgrims searching for our thing ?

11. Kiwi-family

Kiwi-family Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Astorga to Santiago (2012); Baztan, Voie de la Nive, Frances to Leon, Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra and back (2014); Oxfam Trailwalkers NZ (2015); Portuguese from Porto (June 2015); Via de la Plata/Sanabres (May/June 2016)
    Annalisa
    Enjoy the comfort you will derive from knowing your accommodation is sorted. I think many people love the spontaneity that is possible on the camino and so they are eager to share that with you. But sometimes that can come across as "you are doing it the wrong way". By nature I'm a planner, but I love to release that when traveling - for you, this time, your decision sounds perfect!
    Buen camino

12. Annalisa

Annalisa New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thank you so much I really needed that!

John Finn likes this.
  13. Jim

Jim New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    2006- Camino Portuguese
    2008- Camino Frances
    2009- Sanabres extension of the VDLP
    2010- Camino Frances
    2011- Camino Potuguese
    2014- Camino Frances
    2017- Camino Finisterre
    Annalisa-- Stick to your plans-- it's far easier! I've walked various camino trails 6 times and a few years ago, pre-planned the whole Frances route from SJPDP to SDC. I was great to relax and not have to scramble for a bed. Buen camino to you!

Annalisa and John Finn like this.
  14. John Finn

John Finn Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino de Frances - Sarria to Santiago (2013), Burgos to Leon (2014), St Jean Pied de Port to Logrono (2015), Logrono to Burgos (2016), Leon to Sarria (May 2017).
    I've been doing the Camino in stages over the last few years - I'm completing it this year when I walk from Léon to Sarria - and I have always pre-booked private accommodation (hostals, hotels) where possible. I've stayed in albergues too but I prefer a room of my own, thanks very much. It is a great relief knowing that there is a place waiting for you at the end of a day's walk. It makes for a more relaxing experience, in my view, and you can afford to stop at various places and take in the sights without worrying about getting a bed. Yes, you are restricted in that you have to stay at a particular destination but seeing as most people walk the daily stages recommended by John Brierley that is not a problem. I have never regretted not walking longer or shorter on any day.

Jim and Annalisa like this.
  15. Bradypus

Bradypus Antediluvian

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (1990, 2002 and 2016). Camino Ingles (2015). Camino Primitivo (2015). Canterbury to Rome (2015). Camino Portugues (2016). Sundsvall-Trondheim Olavsleden (May 2016). Camino Sanabres (2017). Swansea to Santiago in several stages over 25 years!
    Each to their own. Personally my anxiety goes the other way: I hate the idea of booking a bed and then feeling the pressure to make it to that particular destination come what may. My only personal hard-and-fast rule when walking is that I walk all the way. No skipping sections by bus or taxi. To be confident of reaching a fixed destination each day despite any routine mishaps I would have to book in stages much shorter than I would normally prefer to walk.

domigee and Annalisa like this.
  16. Annalisa

Annalisa New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thanks John that is what I am looking forward to. Knowing I can relax and enjoy each day taking it all in because I don't have to worry about finding a bed early. I have broken it up into a variety of distances and used his book as a reference in doing so. I am looking forward to staying at the different places I picked along The Way.

Jim and John Finn like this.
  17. Annalisa

Annalisa New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    My anxiety goes the other way. That is the only way I found I could relax about attempting it. Maybe it is the ultra runner in me. I know it isn't a race and God knows that is not what I am looking for in this journey it is all about healing. I don't see there will be a need for a taxi or bus. If I can cover 50 trail miles in 11 hours at home and hike 10 miles each day on an average. I feel that I should be able to cover the various stages I planned without issue. I do have from sun up to down no need to rush since I can check in up to 8pm if I want. Just a slow walk and enjoy the way. I would have loved to do the whole journey in one year but I can only get this amount off at one time so next year I plan to finish.

Jim likes this.
  18. biarritzdon

biarritzdon Veteran Member Donating Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    CF 2011, CF 2012, CP 2013, CF 2014, CA 2015, S. Anton 2015, CF 2015, CI 2015
    Ditch Pig 2016, CF (2017)
    I sat in the car today in Sahagun waiting for Paddy to drop into the pharmacia because there was no place to park other than a restricted zone. He was out in the rain and I was in the sanctity of a warm car. The weather has done a complete 180 in the last 24 hours in the Meseta; we have gone from a week of summerish weather to downright miserable conditions. It was not a day for walking, unless you are a duck, and as I sat there I watched many befuddled pilgrims walking around with their noses stuck in the "Brierley" trying to find a room for the night. It was before noon, so there must be a problem with what's available in town today. My concern with pre-booking is what do you do if it is pouring down rain when you wake up in the morning? Take a taxi to your next designated stop? I'm with Falcon, I walk until the conditions tell me to stop or when it suits me and voila there is always a place to stay sitting right in front of me.

nycwalking likes this.
  19. John Finn

John Finn Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino de Frances - Sarria to Santiago (2013), Burgos to Leon (2014), St Jean Pied de Port to Logrono (2015), Logrono to Burgos (2016), Leon to Sarria (May 2017).
    What do I do if it's pouring down rain? I dress accordingly and walk. Not a problem. Ain't gonna melt, y'know :)

Sarah Olson, Annalisa and biarritzdon like this.
  20. Jim

Jim New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    2006- Camino Portuguese
    2008- Camino Frances
    2010- Camino Frances
    2011- Camino Potuguese
    2014- Camino Frances
    2017- Camino Finisterre
    There are many ways of looking at this problem and there is no right answer. It is a matter of what you can tolerate and how these things are perceived. First of all, I have started each camino by giving myself permission to fail. There are bus lines, taxis, etc, as has been mentioned. There are many "what if's," rain not being the most devastating-- there are physical injuries (much more serious than blisters) and illnesses to contend with. I served as a hospitalero twice in the past and saw pilgrims with cellulitis, broken bones, asthma not controlled with an inhaler, bronchitis, etc.
    I've walked on the trails multiple times, with and without reservations, but always had a plan in mind. There are times when we don't have the luxury of walking as slowly (or as quickly) as we would like due to having to catch trains and planes to get back home (unless you could afford the luxury of having an open return ticket). If plans have to change, it's not the absolute end of the world, but can say that I know what my body can take and have stuck to my plans over all of my camino walks. I remember hiking during a cold November one year in torrential rain and was over 60 years old at the time. I had good gear and stayed reasonably well off because of it.
    I think the approach to doing a camino is very individual and what suits one person might not work at all for someone else.

Annalisa, Kiwi-family and biarritzdon like this.
  21. Anemone del Camino

Anemone del Camino Anemone

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances from 2006 to 2013. Camino del Norte from Donostia to Llanes - 2014. May 2015: Primitivo. May 2016: Portuguese central + variante espiritual.
    May you not regret it.

biarritzdon and Annalisa like this.
  22. Annalisa

Annalisa New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    I love the rain

John Finn and Jim like this.
  23. Jim

Jim New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    2006- Camino Portuguese
    2008- Camino Frances
    2010- Camino Frances
    2011- Camino Potuguese
    2014- Camino Frances
    2017- Camino Finisterre
    The original poster is walking for two weeks, not a month.

24. Mike Savage

Mike Savage mike-savage.com

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Francés
    Camino Inglés
    Muxia/Finisterre
    Português da Costa
    Português Central 2017
    Camino Sanabrés 2017
    Camino Inglés 2017
    Annalisa, I'm sure prebooking will take off a lot of pressure!

You are going to have a wonderful time.

Buen Camino!

Mike

Annalisa and Jim like this.
  25. Anemone del Camino

Anemone del Camino Anemone

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances from 2006 to 2013. Camino del Norte from Donostia to Llanes - 2014. May 2015: Primitivo. May 2016: Portuguese central + variante espiritual.
    Still... tje question/reasonong applies.

26. Annalisa

Annalisa New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thank you Mike I am sure there will be plenty of unknowns I am looking forward to.

Mike Savage likes this.
  27. Annalisa

Annalisa New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge very much appreciated.