• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two weeks from El Port de la Selva to Monserrat

futurefjp

Camino enthusiast.
Time of past OR future Camino
Hi folks,

This year has been such a swine for my Camino aspirations and nothing got going really since I got back from Luxembourg just prior to Lockdown in the UK from walking Fulda to Metz.

And so now as Autumn creeps in here in England I have the opportunity of a flight to Girona on Tuesday 6th October. But ...

I am not concerned about coming back into Quarantine in the UK after two weeks (about) however I am wondering about the availability of Albergues during the Covid situation (and I am carrying a tent this time).

Would I be better setting off from Girona instead of heading to the coast. Last year I did from Alicante to Salamanca so can cover the distances and the terrain...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
No. It is an expensive walk, but, that said, NOTHING like as expensive as accommodation walking in the UK.
There are a few private hostals in towns like Vic and Girona, the Monserrat abbey has a hostal and I think there is one in Manressa as well. And a youth hostel near Sant Esteve d'en bas but that was shut the day I wanted to stay for some unknown reason.
It's a tourist route rather than a pilgrim route, which makes all the difference.

The hotel I stayed in at Santa Maria d'Olo is no longer on booking.com. That stretch is bad enough for accommodation, so the lack of somewhere at Santa Maria is a disaster.

Hi folks,

This year has been such a swine for my Camino aspirations and nothing got going really since I got back from Luxembourg just prior to Lockdown in the UK from walking Fulda to Metz.

And so now as Autumn creeps in here in England I have the opportunity of a flight to Girona on Tuesday 6th October. But ...

I am not concerned about coming back into Quarantine in the UK after two weeks (about) however I am wondering about the availability of Albergues during the Covid situation (and I am carrying a tent this time).

Would I be better setting off from Girona instead of heading to the coast. Last year I did from Alicante to Salamanca so can cover the distances and the terrain...
We had in fact hoped to walk, beginning in Llançà, starting a few days ago. Having read reports of various closures of albergues and other supports for pilgrims along the way we made the difficult decision to cancel our plans. Here in Barcelona there exisits a local Camino friendship association: amicsdelspelegrins.org. In normal times, they provide up-to-date information regarding facilities for pilgrims along the Catalan Camino starting in Barcelona (in the direction of Montserrat). In the past, they have been prompt in replying to messages I have sent them. However, having had a quick look at their website, it would seem uncertain whether or not they are currently providing this service. It may be a place for you to start in terms of getting an idea of what the current situation would be if you were to begin in the next week. I do not know if they could direct you towards other local associations with current information for other routes beginning in Catalunya. Best wishes to you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As others have mentioned, there are really very few albergue options on this route even in the best of times. It’s pretty much private accommodation all the way, which I found to be a bit more expensive than the average camino pensión prices (as opposed to 20-25, I think the average was in the 30s). There are a couple of youth hostels, like the one in Manresa and maybe one or two other places, but they are definitely the exception. The challenge will be finding out whether the private places are open.

I don’t think you will find much difference between the stages before Girona and those after, in terms of accommodation and price.

It’s a gorgeous route, not really a pilgrimage route, but one constructed by the Generalitat to take pilgrims to the touristic high points like Girona and Vic. I enjoyed every minute, because the romanesque is everywhere and the scenery absolutely gorgeous.

@lindam and @Felice’s accounts are much more up to date, since I walked in 2015, but maybe my accounts will give you some suggestions.

Good luck, let us know what you decide to do. Buen camino, Laurie

Last autumn I walked from Barcelona to Monserrat and I didn't find much cheap accommodation. I stayed at an Airbnb in Sant Cugat that was near a train station. On the second day I walked to Terrasa and took the train back to Sant Cugat. The third day was to train back to Terrasa and walk to Monserrat.

Thinking of it now it would have been cheaper sleeping in Monserrat each night. The albergue was nearly empty and I might have been able to break the rules.

Maybe the option of following the E10 route might be another idea? I'm not sure I want to be on a 'fake' route and would like to hug the coast line like I did with the Rota Vicentina so I can go through Barcelona?

I'll get to Girona first then figure it out from there!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Maybe the option of following the E10 route might be another idea? I'm not sure I want to be on a 'fake' route and would like to hug the coast line like I did with the Rota Vicentina so I can go through Barcelona?

Keep us posted with your adventure. The weather is perfect at the moment.

I'm not sure I want to be on a 'fake' route and would like to hug the coast line like I did with the Rota Vicentina so I can go through Barcelona?

By “fake”, I only mean that this particular route from Port de la Selva/Llança was the result of someone combining bits and pieces of what look to be two historical routes over the Pyrenees. But it is certainly no more “fake” than the Rota Vicentina, which makes no claim of being anything other than a beautiful coastal walking route put together by the Tourist Office of Portugal. So I wouldn’t let my careless use of the “fake” label dissuade you.

By “fake”, I only mean that this particular route from Port de la Selva/Llança was the result of someone combining bits and pieces of what look to be two historical routes over the Pyrenees. But it is certainly no more “fake” than the Rota Vicentina, which makes no claim of being anything other than a beautiful coastal walking route put together by the Tourist Office of Portugal. So I wouldn’t let my careless use of the “fake” label dissuade you.
All routes in Europe, I think, are historic. It goes with the territory. Although it does get a little boring living in a "historic" town!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Isn't your historic town under lockdown at the moment?
I know of two people in my town who have had Covid. Stats for Leeds are higher, but Wetherby is nearer to Harrogate than Leeds and sits on the border with North Yorkshire: it's a farming area really.

Sorry, I assumed you lived in Leeds as that is what you have under your avatar! Wetherby is NOT Leeds!
I'm in Sheffield this weekend, looking out over the wet landscape, wishing I was in Spain..... OH is walking the coast2coast this week - he'll be doing the Nine Standards about now, if he survives the bog.

Sorry, I assumed you lived in Leeds as that is what you have under your avatar! Wetherby is NOT Leeds!
I'm in Sheffield this weekend, looking out over the wet landscape, wishing I was in Spain..... OH is walking the coast2coast this week - he'll be doing the Nine Standards about now, if he survives the bog.
I spend some time in Leeds and some time in Wetherby. My flat is in Leeds and my family live in Wetherby.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Enjoy your walk! The weather is perfect at the moment and no doubt the scenery will be splendid.

Tomorrow I start. Backwards to the coast from Girona to el Puerto de la Selva to return and carry on from Girona to Montserrat!View attachment 84591
Buen camino, @futurefjp. Another forum member @alansykes, was at St. Pere de Rodas yesterday, and is also walking to Montserrat. You two might meet up! It is a very beautiful camino, keep sending pictures! Buen camino, Laurie

I am wondering about the availability of Albergues during the Covid situation (and I am carrying a tent this time).

There is nothing in terms of pilgrim accommodation until Manresa -- and from Manresa look here : https://caminoignaciano.org/en/lodging/

I did not know about the pilgrim accomodation in Manresa in La Cova de Sant Ignasi when I was there -- it seems that it's highly recommended to book ahead. Otherwise there's a not too expensive youth hostel in Manresa, though I had literally no money at all, and was saved by a former pilgrim who gave me room on the floor and good conversation etc.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
IMG_20201008_115505.jpg

32 kilometres before lunch! Now sat happily in El Portal de Bàscara Restaurant contemplating heading into France rather than come back south ...

Remember that place in the photo, it's beautiful.

It's a much easier Camino Way if you have enough French on the French side and Spanish or hopefully Catalan on the other.

But you really do need to pre-plan for some occasional sleeps outside.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In Figueres I slept in the old pilgrim refuge, which is set up in an small old fort above town.

No electricity, water, anything, not even a mattress -- but it was good to be inside out of the terrible wind that night. Sounds like you had a less spartan stay, good for you !!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Slept like one of the dead! And crashed into the wall to get out of bed as I forgot I wasn't back in Blighty...

Was so nice to see a fellow pilgrim @alansykes going the "right way" yesterday before Bàscara.
And a plate of padrons!

IMG_20201009_143644.jpg

Today was a very challenging one! Who put that hill between me and the sea?

Disappointing there is no "dispensation" for being on the Way so I didn't go in... But the clouds suggested not to. And I filled my bottle from the "non-potable" font and feel wunderbar!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Crossed the frontier! It was a tough morning with a snack of Sardines on the Catalan side of the border!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I always feel a little controversial using any form of public transport on El Camino, but there is a Accueil in Perpignan...

I always feel a little controversial using any form of public transport on El Camino, but there is a Accueil in Perpignan...

The Pilgrim Albergue in Perpignan is lovely.

Next one further into France is Béziers ; also brilliant.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dimanche always suggests de-march so I've been given an extra night at the Acceuil which allows me to hand-wash all my smalls (the smell was following me everywhere).

Cooler generally. Tomorrow heading to Fitou.

The wind today was really contemptuous. And was unable to stay in Fitou so walked ¡57¡Kms before I caught the train into Narbonne...

The wind today was really contemptuous. And was unable to stay in Fitou so walked ¡57¡Kms before I caught the train into Narbonne...
Wow! Two stages in one! Hopefully you found a comfortable place in Narbonne to get a good night's rest and recharge your batteries.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And was unable to stay in Fitou

That particular section of the Way has only about ~15 to ~20 pilgrims in a normal year.

Except for Perpignan and Béziers, there is no pilgrim support infrastructure at all, simply from lack of "customers", but also from lack of churches etc with resident priests, monks, etc.

That particular section of the Way has only about ~15 to ~20 pilgrims in a normal year.

Except for Perpignan and Béziers, there is no pilgrim support infrastructure at all, simply from lack of "customers", but also from lack of churches etc with resident priests, monks, etc.
It's all good! But I'm simply incapable of a continuation today! My body is sore!

I do wish I had brought a tent! And was more resilient!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
With knees like balloons yesterday I was forced to stay an additional night in Narbonne... Now I feel better, but unfortunately time is now against me ... I've only one more day to reach Carcassonne, which is impossible really. So tomorrow I'll walk one etape from here, then catch a train to Carcassonne. My flight option is Friday morning early so that's it for this "short" way. However I feel 5 days is better than no days on El Camino?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back