• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two weeks in March

efdoucette

Time of past OR future Camino
2011 Camino Frances
Since 2011 - too many to list
I have ~12 days to walk in March. Can someone offer help on where to go? I've been going around in circles researching.

Would like:
- warmth
- variety of scenery
- towns
- hostals, hotels, pensions (not an alberque type of guy anymore)

Any suggestions very much appreciated,
Thanks,
Eric

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
New Zealand?
Seriously though, how about from Porto?
Although, what is your definition of warm?

New Zealand?
Seriously though, how about from Porto?
Although, what is your definition of warm?
I like the idea of New Zealand ... some day.
Coming from Canada where it is currently -20C outside ... I'll take daytime temps +15 would be perfect. I'll need to head south Spain for that I think but am struggling with the "right" trail.
Many thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was going to suggest starting in Sevilla and going as far as you have time for on the VdLP, although I have no personal experience on this route...yet.
Another option is the beautiful Rota Vicentina Fisherman's Trail in south Portugal. It follows much of the coastal cliffs and coves. I walked it last April and it was wonderful, but does not have a "camino feel" if that what you look for.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have ~12 days to walk in March. Can someone offer help on where to go?

You say nothing of the rate of march you can sustain over 12 days, none of which are rest days.

Using the site Weather Spark for so many cities and town I noted those that have a mean temperature of 13 C sloping to 16 C during March when suggesting the following:
France
F1 - 320 km - Moissac to Saint-Jean-pied-de-port (mean 27 km per day )

Spain
S1 - 290 km - Saint-Jean-pied-de-port to Burgos (mean 24 km per day )
S2 - 320 km - Ponferrada to Santiago de Compostela (mean 27 km per day )

These start/end points have train and bus stations to arrive at/leave from.

The major points have hotels etc. I can not confirm facilities available at intermediate points. In Spain, things called 'casa rural' (from my experience at one just below Salceda - between Arzua and O Pedrouzo - just before SdC) most probably have what you desire as well as the types you mention. But you will have to do your own detailed research.

Even if you do not start walking from, say, Moissac you can arrive there and take available local transport to a start point which you find more amendable. For example: Moissac to Lectoure by Bla-Bla-Car is understood to be as 5 euro and take about 1 hour.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going).

Good day, thank you all for your responses, time and energy, much appreciated.

I have walked the VDLP from Seville to Astorga a few years back, and also last year the Rota Vicentina but on the Historical route so the Fisherman's trail would be a great option for March, for sure. And the Mazarbe from Almeria looks great too.

But I think I will brave the elements a bit and try the Camino Madrid in March. Hopefully I will get lucky with weather out of Cercedilla, if not I will take transportation to Segovia that stage. With my limited time, Madrid will be an easy in and out location, coming from Canada.

So as they say, my Camino has now started. Time to dust off the backpack, do some training walks, research the trail stages and accommodations.

All the best,
Regards, Eric

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back