• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two weeks March 23rd to April 6th

scubajunky

HI all,
This is obviously a little last minute for me but I have the following questions if anyone could help please.
Which would be the best section to walk over two weeks ? the most scenic and least roads ?
Where would I fly into for this ?
Any other tips ?
Man thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
scubajunky said:
Which would be the best section to walk over two weeks ? the most scenic and least roads ?
"Best" is certainly subjective. With a daily average walking of between 20 and 25 km, and obtain a Compostela at the end, good starting points could be either León or Astorga. Where León has an airport, both towns can easily be reached by bus (http://www.Alsa.es) from many towns in Spain and Madrid Barajas airport.
Ultyreya :wink:

I'm not bothered about the certificate. I just want the best two weeks I can have with great scenery and little time walking near roads.
Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
little time walking near roads
That part is tricky. The logical pilgrim route was paved over with the advent of the automobile. What worked for the Romans 1900 years ago worked for the pilgrims, and then for the automobile. So when asphalt replaced Roman roads and dirt, the foot path generally moved a few meters to the side. So most of the time you are fairly near a road. There is plenty of non-paved path, and some great scenery if you ignore the modernization. In many cases the route has been chosen to keep the pilgrim off the road, it just is not always possible. The pilgrimage is not a wilderness walk like the Appalachian Trail or the Sierra Nevada mountains. It is through rural Spain that has been cultivated for thousands of years.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi if I was you, probably would start in Pamplona. Lovely walking thereafter, and many interesting towns and villages. If you're not bothered about the compostela , then earlier on the way would be great.

Pamplona, I was considering starting at St Jean PDP, why do you think I should go from Pamplona ? which airport would I fly to to start from there then ? Bilbao ? thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
am I not missing out on great scenery
You will be missing the Matterhorn, Mt. Everest, and the Grand Canyon, for sure. :D

There is great scenery at every turn. You will miss something if you walk only two weeks. It is hard for someone else to know what you will miss the most. There is a lot to read in the Forum, but it will help you make up your mind.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Scubajunky:

Start in Leon and walk to Santiago. This is a beautiful part of the Camino. Many folks start here. Fly into Madrid and take a bus or train to Leon and start walking.

Ultreya,
Joe

A pilgrim told me en route that there are as many reasons for walking the camino, as there are pilgrims walking it. This is a cliche but true :)
So, you will get many ( subjective ) answers to your question . And then one of the answers will resonate with you , and hopefully help you to decide which one is best for you :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back