• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two Weeks on the Lana

mlhhome

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (X3), VDLP, Madrid ‘12-‘22
Based on family commitments and overlapping schedules, I am limited to a two week Camino this year. There are so many Camino choices, but I believe the Lana is for me. For those who have enjoyed their experience, I appreciate your thought/suggestions on where to start.

Thanks to all

Mike

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Based on family commitments and overlapping schedules, I am limited to a two week Camino this year. There are so many Camino choices, but I believe the Lana is for me. For those who have enjoyed their experience, I appreciate your thought/suggestions on where to start.

Thanks to all

Mike

I would say that it is suitable to divide the Lana into two parts: Alicante-Cuenca and Cuenca-Burgos. Each part is doable in two weeks and you get to visit Cuenca either way! Why not walk Alicante-Cuenca this year, then come back to finish it.

As for beautiful/interesting towns: Part 1 has the impressive Alcalá del Júcar as a highlight, Part 2 has the medieval Santo Domingo de Silos and Covarrubias.

Waymarking is very good from the start in Alicante, although it gets somewhat confusing during the last days before Burgos in my opinion.

/BP

We started on the Camino del Alba walking from Pego to Almansa (136k) and then from Almansa to Cuenca on the Lana (236k). It was wonderful even though we had to stay in Alpera an extra day because a gota fria made the route dangerous to walk. The waymarking is very good Almansa to Cuenca. If you do that section you can get a train to Almansa and at the end get a train back to Alicante from Cuenca. My recommendation is to savour it and take your time. Less is more. Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked Alicante - Cuenca last March and disagree with @Bad Pilgrim regarding the signage. At several spots - into Alcalá del Júcar for one - I got lost. I do speak Spanish and don't mind having to do extra kilometers but I added an hour or two at some points. Keep in mind I was walking alone and do not use any type of guides or apps so I depend on good signage. The townspeople rarely know much about the route and I believe I only heard a Buen Camino once or twice. Most will send you via the shortest route which is the highway!

I've walked many a Camino but I was glad to stop in Cuenca and moved north to walk the Primitivo which to date is my favorie. The albergue in Cuenca is run by Luis who is a great resource about the Lana. He works right next door to the albergue as a librarian.

Be prepared to be alone. I met one French pilgrim one night. That's it! But then again that is one more than I met when I walked the Mozarabe from Granada in 2014.

There are stage by stage blogs pinned to the top of the forum. You might also want to give serious thought to the Camino de Madrid if you haven't already. It has a lot going for it and is a nice length that will give you a few days in e.g. Madrid.

The Lana is a nice Camino with plenty to see. If you only have two weeks though, I'd be inclined to start in Cuenca and head north to Burgos. Personally, I think the second half is a lot more interesting than the first. See the pinned blog.

The Lana is a nice Camino with plenty to see. If you only have two weeks though, I'd be inclined to start in Cuenca and head north to Burgos. Personally, I think the second half is a lot more interesting than the first. See the pinned blog.
Undermanager,
I do love Madrid and Alicante; especially in October! For this reason, I’ll take your advice and start in Cuenca. Thanks to all who shared their thoughts and recommendations.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Looking for someone to share a taxi to Sarria from Santiago Airport on Sunday 28th April. Flight due to arrive at 4.15pm We are a party of 2 people

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back