• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Two Weeks Until Departure

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

Two weeks to go until boarding our flight. . . wow, how did the time pass this fast? Even when I have been expecting the Time Compression, it seems like things are just blowing past at light speed.

Aside from our regular workout routines, Jill and I have been doing a few leisurely 10 mile/16 km walks a couple of time per week. Doing these walks is not really for fitness or physical testing, it is more for the both of us to get used to walking together; checking out each others pace, looking at distance and time intervals between breaks and rest periods, just sort of doing an informal checklist of things to keep an eye out for as we walk together. Since Jill has never been backpacking with me, it is fun getting to know her during our distance walks.

And, no, Jill would not be comfortable walking on her own on Camino. . . at least for now :) So the issue of us proceeding apart is not even up for discussion. And that is OK, because it is such a pleasant surprise for me to learn that she and I walk comfortably together.

Well, except for the fact that Jill likes to 'chat' while I like to NOT chat :) Out of all the issues that can arise from two people learning to walk together, it is most amazing to me that tolerance toward chat-talking - - and NOT chat-talking - - would be the biggest learning curve we faced. 😄

Another thing that was kind of interesting, and amusing at the same time to me, was Jill's adjustment to carrying a backpack. I ended up needing to spend a lot of unexpected attention to finding a backpack to match Jill. Getting the right size was easy. . . . it was getting the right 'feel' and 'comfort level' that proved to be a bit tougher to achieve.

Due to a previous controversy around naming specific brands and models of backpacks, I won't mention any specific manufacturer's names. :)

It turned out that the original backpack that I purchased for Jill had enough of a 'comfort' disparity, that I then proceeded to order and try out 5 other backpack brands and models. The 'rejects' were easy to return. For Jill, the biggest factor was the shoulder harness system. . . the way the padding and the straps 'interfaced' with her chest and near to the underarms. The hipbelts were generally just fine; it was the width of the shoulder harness attachment points on the backpack, combined with the length and width and placement of the shoulder straps padding, plus the ability to get a good fine tuning to the shoulder harness adjustments that was the primary issue.

But a good backpack-to-Jill match was found. Now with a good amount of practice, her ability to smoothly adjust and readjust the backpack has become an intuitive process. It is fun to see her do little tweaks to her pack's adjustments, without having to think about it, as we walk.

The other big issue was trying to differentiate what Jill described as an issue with a backpack's fit, from the issue of having never backpacked any distances with a loaded backpack. For a novice, the fact of WEARING a backpack and hiking over many miles is a brand new sensation; they do not know how it feels to wear a backpack while hiking, period. It takes a bit of time to get used to 'wearing' a backpack, just as it would take time for someone who has never worn shoes to get used to what wearing shoes feels like.

So part of the process of eliminating a backpack was Jill getting used to carrying a backpack. . .

Anyway, Jill and I are now done with packing. Yea!!! 👍👍☺☺☺

I will be doing a GoPro video of every step of our walk on the Camino Ingles which will be edited into a Hyperlapsed-timewarp-fast forward type of presentation by John Sikora. Each stage will be compressed from hours to minutes for viewing.

As with John's other Camino video step-by-step videos - and the one I did for John walking from SJPdP to Roncesvalles over Napoleon - this will be a video series of Ingles' trail-path-road-scenery from the perspective of the walker. The Camino is the focus, not people. There won't be video of Jill or I, or interactions with other pilgrims as there are tons of videos that have already done that kind of vloging format The objective of the video will be for those curious as to what it is like to walk Camino Ingles to actually view the walk as if they are doing it themselves. Without the huffing and puffing and sweating, of course :)

That means I will be adding about 2 additional pounds to my total backpack weight of 8 pounds/3.7 Kg, bringing it up to 10.5 pounds / 4.8 Kg. Jill's total backpack weight is 10.2 pounds/ 4.6 Kg. Yes, that includes water and expected snacks. :)

We are still pondering what weight reduction we can do, but that is just low-level fiddly stuff to think on since we have the big stuff done and ready to go. :)

Oh, and I did decide to leave my Leki trekking poles behind. I am doing an online order with Decathlon to have an inexpensive set of adjustable trekking poles delivered to our lodging in Ferrol. When we arrive in Santiago de Compostela, I will donate the trekking poles. It is far less expensive than paying to ship them home thru Correos ( I don't do any luggage checking, it's carry-on only).

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just finished the Norte and used a Insta360 ONEX for filming. I have used your advise and reviews on many things Camino related and want to share my advice on small cameras. The 360 worked great. It needed no stabilization has 360 field of view which can be downloaded and edited on the app in minutes on your phone. The selfie stick is extremely lightweight and no matter what way you point it everything is in view. The camera itself is as small as a GoPro however it’s not waterproof without a case. The editing app has fantastic Hyperlapse capabilities. All around it was a great Camino camera. You can look it up on Insta360.
Buen Camino.

I just finished the Norte and used a Insta360 ONEX for filming. I have used your advise and reviews on many things Camino related and want to share my advice on small cameras. The 360 worked great. It needed no stabilization has 360 field of view which can be downloaded and edited on the app in minutes on your phone. The selfie stick is extremely lightweight and no matter what way you point it everything is in view. The camera itself is as small as a GoPro however it’s not waterproof without a case. The editing app has fantastic Hyperlapse capabilities. All around it was a great Camino camera. You can look it up on Insta360.
Buen Camino.

Thank you for that information. I had looked at the Insta when moving from the GoPro Hero Black 6 to the Hero Black 7, but stuck with the Hero 7 because of the chargers, batteries, etc, that I had for the 6. There is no doubt that the Insta is an action camera that is well worth considering for those who are shopping for one, though.

I appreciate your thoughtful input :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back