• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two weeks!

andywild

Time of past OR future Camino
CF april 18.. CP sep 18.. CF april 2020
So, it's nearly here!! Time for me to finish packing my bag and lace up my lovely trail-runners... I'll be in sjpdp on the 18th April as long as the train/plane gods are on my side.. but before I go I have one question..
As you possibly know I am old and unfit and have decided to turn my life around. After 44years of pizzas and chips I'm considering getting healthy for my walk.. do you think I will have to eat healthy for BOTH weeks before I go? Or just the last week?? I plan on cutting down to 4 pizzas a week and eating a banana EVERY day so think 2 weeks may be a bit too healthy? I don't want to waste away to skin and bone and 'fall down a grid' as my gran used to say.
Thanks for any advice.
X

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hahahaha - people who go on expeditions tend to bulk up before they go, knowing that they will lose weight out there - and if there is high wind thin people get blown away, so eat away!!

Just a note: French rail strikes - there are lots of them and will go on over the next few months unless the government cave in (they won't) - so check your train/s to make sure they are running!

Last edited:
Hey Andy,

To be a serious for a moment. If you're anything like me it's not the two weeks before you leave that you have to worry about, it's the two months after you get back. After a month of being able to eat and drink whatever you like and still lose weight because you're walking for hours every day it will come as a shock when you get home and that's no longer the case.

Seeing the amazing transformation you'll hopefully acheive on the Camino reversing itself is a bit soul destroying, I speak from two bouts of personal experience. So I'd say enjoy your final two weeks of junk food and instead start thinking about what you'll be eating when you get back.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Andy,
Can I suggest lots of fruit and vegetables as well as your pizzas and chips. You can eat all you want of those; never any need to go hungry. I suspect that you will love the Camino and want to go back when you are 54 and 64 and..... So, you know what to do.
Aidan

Hi Andy,
Can I suggest lots of fruit and vegetables as well as your pizzas and chips. You can eat all you want of those; never any need to go hungry. I suspect that you will love the Camino and want to go back when you are 54 and 64 and..... So, you know what to do.
Aidan
There's tomato on my pizza and I have lettuce and onion on kebabs so I think I've got the veg issue covered. Although to be fair I usually scoop the veg off (i see it more as a decoration than an ingredient) I might go crazy and have some trifle later, that's got strawberries at the bottom.

Hi Andy.

I think if you really want to prepare, have pizza for lunch and pizza for dinner, washing it down with a bottle of cheap (but good) red wine........ If you can, fit in a 2nd breakfast too ;);)

Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Andy.

I think if you really want to prepare, have pizza for lunch and pizza for dinner, washing it down with a bottle of cheap (but good) red wine........ If you can, fit in a 2nd breakfast too ;);)

Buen Camino
That sounds like excellent advice.. I wasn't looking forward to the Bananas anyway :)

That sounds like excellent advice.. I wasn't looking forward to the Bananas anyway :)

Consuming 4 or 5 meals a day with lots of alcohol, particularly in the evening, is often an area of training that is forgotten! You can't expect to just 'turn up' and start eating 2nd breakfasts, big lunches, later dinners, a litre of wine a day, tortilla snacks and more white bread than you can 'shake a stick at' :eek::eek:

Preparation is the key Andy........ Take it from a Pilgrim who was able to maintain his ample starting body weight all the way to Santiago!

Consuming 4 or 5 meals a day with lots of alcohol, particularly in the evening, is often an area of training that is forgotten! You can't expect to just 'turn up' and start eating 2nd breakfasts, big lunches, later dinners, a litre of wine a day, tortilla snacks and more white bread than you can 'shake a stick at' :eek::eek:

Preparation is the key Andy........ Take it from a Pilgrim who was able to maintain his ample starting body weight all the way to Santiago!
I can imagine this thread has got some people shaking with horror... :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
:p
Well, you will be having pizza withdrawal symptoms.
But there is no shortage of chips on the Camino.
In fact, there is no shortage of all kinds of yummy not-optimally-nutritious food on the Camino. In fact, the coffee con leche, tosta, and OJ in the morning may be the healthiest thing you eat all day.
You might need to train for that... just saying.;):)

The hard truth that I have to break to you is that you may return home with an addiction to olive oil on your toast, the freshest OJ on the planet, good coffee, tortillas, boccadillos, jamon curado, queso de cabra, tapas, cocolate con churros...and maybe even pulpo....:eek:
And I'm not even considering the various forms of alcohol one can consume....

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back