• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two-wheeled protest over ‘unjust’ arrest of forestry brigade

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
http://www.thinkspain.com/news-spain/16 ... de-workers

A COLLEAGUE of seven forestry brigade workers who are implicated in the inferno that killed 11 firemen in Guadalajara in 2005 plans to ride 1,800 kilometres across Spain in solidarity with them.
Javier Martínez, 41, who works for the regional environmental management organisation Geacam, considers it ‘very unjust’ that seven of his colleagues who attended the scene to put out the flames are being tried for negligent homicide.
The fire is thought to have been started by a group of 20 walkers who started a barbecue that got out of control.
They are also facing trial for the deaths of the firemen.
Javier, originally from Asturias but who has lived in Toledo for 12 years, will ride from his home city to Santiago de Compostela (Galicia) as a form of protest.
He says he will use existing rural footpaths, and in particular routes that form part of the pilgrims’ way to the city.
“We’re all in the same boat; any one of us could become involved in a similar case.
“These people are being treated as murderers…but they did the best they could in order to save lives and prevent loss.
“But accidents happen, and this was a fatal accident.”
Javier intends to cover the journey in a fortnight, travelling 120 kilometres a day.
His wife says she is worried about him exerting himself to this extent.
But she has set up a blog site in support of her husband’s mission, which she says is ‘a very worthy cause’.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.