• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Type of bike

Sophievano

I am planning to cycle from Lyon to Santiago in July august this year. Just wondering what the best type of bike to use is. I currently have a hybrid but wonder if I need something a bit sturdier for the trip.
Sophie

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
It depends where you want to cycle. There is a choice between road and path. In many place the road is the more authentic route than the path which has been rerouted for safety and pleasure. So do not feel you have to take one or the other.

If you are riding on the road and only use the path in where it is flat and well paved a hybrid will be fine. If you intend to use the path more often and even here I would advise against using it in the steepest sections of the Pyrenees and Montes de Leon a mountain bike style will be better. The low gears, wider tyres and smaller wheels make them a better bet. I use a 26in wheeled tourer which is similar to a hardtail mountain bike but with all the attachments for front and rear panniers etc.

I assume you mean from Leon in Spain, not Lyon in France.

The Caminos have a great variety of surfaces--its one of the things that makes them so fun to ride.
One can ride a mountain bike on the paved road much more easily than riding a road (or hybrid) bike on a trail. If you have something other than a mountain bike you'll be on and off the marked trail quite a bit.

Leon is not too far, and I've seen plenty of hybrid type bikes ride much of it. You'll miss some great parts, but if you aren't into mountain biking you might be better off on the road when it gets rougher. If you are actually coming from Lyon, it would definitely be worth getting a nice bike.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Cycling the Del Norte I am attempting a 780km Camino combo starting in Leon on 25 April and a friend from the Netherlands wants to join me and cycle the Del Norte from Aviles to Santiago. It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back