• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Type of Bike

NAPoulos44

Hello all, I am planning on doing the camino frances in September by bike, however, from what I have read, I am starting to wonder whether my road bike is enough, and whether or not I need to go out and buy a mountain bike or something else as it seems most of the camino is not doable by a road bike, and that you are therefore relegated to the main roads or highways... Is this true? Does that take anything away from the camino? Would you suggest something other than a road bike?

Thanks

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
What bike?

I am planning on doing the camino frances in September by bike, however, I am starting to wonder whether my road bike is enough, and whether or not I need to go out and buy a mountain bike or something else as it seems most of the camino is not doable by a road bike, and that you are therefore relegated to the main roads or highways... Is this true? Does that take anything away from the camino? Would you suggest something other than a road bike?

Your own camino will be unique to you so do not worry about riding on the path all the way. There are very few sections where the only alternative is a main road/highway though you may have to travel further to take the quiet scenic route.

If you are not going to do more touring then it would seem extravagant to buy a bike for the journey alone. Ideally though, a tourer with 26in wheels will allow you to carry all the kit you need on nearly all the paths.

There are groups of cyclists, often Spanish clubs, who have their stuff carried by car and race down the camino paths annoying the walkers and giving all the other cyclists a bad name. A slow bike with a bell and a friendly Ola or Buen Camino will be much more acceptable.

Buen Camino
William

I walked the Camino Frances in April/May of this year.Most of the bikes I saw were fab looking mountain bikes with all the accessories and gear imaginable.
The cyclist I admired most though was a middle aged Polish chap riding what appeared to be the most inappropriate bike.It looked as though he had liberated it from a rubbish tip.It had skinny, approx14inch wheels.Sit up and beg type handlebars.No gears.A rack on the back with a plastic box tied to it containing his tent and sleeping bag.He had a backpack on his back.He wore ordinary clothing with an anorak on top.
The amazing thing about this wonderful guy was that he had ridden this bike from his home in Poland,through Germany and France and started the Camino at St.Jean Pied de Port.
I met him at Ponferrada and although there was a real language barrier I enjoyed spending time with him in a cafe/bar.I have no doubt whatsoever that he would have made it to Santiago and then he had to cycle back home.
This man was obviously poor financially but in spirit is one of the richest people I have ever met.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Cycling the Del Norte I am attempting a 780km Camino combo starting in Leon on 25 April and a friend from the Netherlands wants to join me and cycle the Del Norte from Aviles to Santiago. It...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back