• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Type of Clothes to Wear While Hiking

Trent L.

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago(summer 2017)
Hello, I'm 18 and from Texas. I will be walking the Camino Frances this June-July solo. I'm used to hot weather, however I am still very pale skinned and get burned up easily even with sunscreen. I've read some articles saying that there was little shade along the walk, so I'm concerned in that regard. I plan on wearing a bucket hat with a cover on the back neck. Do I still need to wear long sleeve shirts and pants every day?Also how many sets of clothes should I pack, and are there washing and drying machines in the towns?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Go to Academy and buy some long sleeved synthetic fishing shirts and convertible (long pants to shorts via zippered legs) fishing pants.
Columbia is a good brand for those.
Actually, Academy has all the stuff you need to walk the Camino.
ultreia

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As far as washing clothes goes - most people wash at least their underwear and socks daily, and every few days you can go in with other pilgrims on a load of wash in a machine, usually no need to machine dry, because they come out of the washing machine so dry that when you hang them up they are completely dry in an hour or so if the sun is out - especially in the summer.
Lots of people, me included, like merino wool shirts because they are naturally wicking, and don't get stinky like synthetics. They are expensive though. Look for Smart Wool and Icebreaker brands. It might seem crazy to wear wool in the summer, but believe me, when you are wearing lightweight merino it works.
Basically you bring two sets of clothes, one to wear, and while those are washing/drying you put on your other set. I do recommend an extra pair of socks so that you can change into dry socks during the day.

At risk or making sure everyone keeps their distance when I walk the Camino next year, as I may be relegated to the 'stinky or smelly' Columbia and Eddie Bauer are in most of the outlet malls and they sell long sleeve shirts and trousers which have a high SPF factor. I tend to use Eddie's shirts and they are SPF 50, which should be enough unless global warming accelerates geometrically next year or the sun goes nova!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This might sound odd, but here goes.
At 5ft tall and 110 lbs, I buy large or x-large, long sleeve, men's fishing shirts.
I want it very loose when it's hot out.
I can wear a t'shirt, jacket or whatever over it if I need warmth.
The long sleeves keep the sun off my arms.
The long sleeves can be used to cover my hands if they might burn.
The long sleeves (worn as a base layer) can be tucked into my gloves.
The long tail, or length of the shirt helps keep my bum warm when it is cold. :)
Fishing shirts have a high UV protection system, are vented and light weight.
They are white and will get dirty, stained and look awful by the time I reach Santiago. I don't care.

If you burn easily even with sunscreen, I would advise long trousers and a long-sleeved, loose shirt.
I bring shorts (or a long sundress) for the evenings but choose to walk in a long skirt that protects the back of my legs.
Choose the lightest (in weight) that you have.
All the albergues have hand-washing facilities and hanging lines. There are more and more washing machines available too, you can share a wash with another pilgrim (cost is about 3€ and it includes washing powder).
In June/July, you only need two sets of clothes, the one you washed will be dry by the morning.
Socks: I bring 3 pairs.
Also bring something for chilly mornings or evenings (a light fleece?) and something to protect you (and your pack) from the rain.
Buen camino :)

Hello, I'm 18 and from Texas. I will be walking the Camino Frances this June-July solo. I'm used to hot weather, however I am still very pale skinned and get burned up easily even with sunscreen. I've read some articles saying that there was little shade along the walk, so I'm concerned in that regard. I plan on wearing a bucket hat with a cover on the back neck. Do I still need to wear long sleeve shirts and pants every day?Also how many sets of clothes should I pack, and are there washing and drying machines in the towns?
i wear long sleeves and long pants in a breathable woven nylon fabric and a broad brimed hat with a mesh crown for ventilation . Remember you will be hand washing your clothes almost daily and hanging them to dry in the early evening. I once saw a guy throw out a pair of blue jeans that he carried wet for three days .two sets of clothes and a thin nylon pair of shorts and t shirt to sleep in .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked in July 2019, very sunny and hot, only 2 days rainy and cloudy.

I burn fast, too. Used long trousers to prevent burn of back of knee (very annoying), had a minor sunburn on the rear of my upper arms (T-shirt-tan).
You walk constantly with the sunshine from behind. After the sunburn I used a class 50 sunblocker for the next days. After a couple of days your skin gets tanned and you won't burn as easy as before. From the Meseta on I didn't use any sunblocker.

I was happy with two set of clothes (underwear, socks, T's, trousers). Had a longsleeve and a short trekkingtrouser as spare, used the longsleeve on the Pyrenees (cloudy and cold, see my photos) and the short trekkingtrouser for the exploring of the surroundings of the albergues. In summer your washed clothes will dry in 2-3 hours on the clothes line. No need for a dryer. Almost all Albergues had the possibility to wash by hand or a washing machine.

I return home totally tanned. My wife said that I did look like an old italian fisherman ;).

Have fun on ypur pilgrimage!

BC
Roland

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.