• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Typical day - albergues - advice for first timer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkH

I will start my camino in June in SJPP and have found the advice on the forum wonderful. As a non-hiker or experienced trekker I find myself becoming nervous about staying in albergues, finding a bed and best using my time. I would love to hear some experienced pilgrims' advice on how they plan out their typical day. (I don't want to book ahead too much unless I have to).
Things like - best time to look for a bed? Do u shower as soon as you arrive? Laundry early each day or later? Wake early or not? Shower again or not? Shopping for food when and where? Siesta?
I realize these kind of questions might seem silly but as someone who has only stayed in hotels or at home in my 48 years, I'm struggling to imagine my day other than the walking. Stories of no beds and un-showered pilgrims because of long queues or no laundry facilities have me worry about rushing or dwelling on issues I should not.

If anyone can share their typical routine I'd love to hear. Apologies if this is covered on the forum already but I can't seem to find it.

Mark - originally from UK but now Singapore;) and getting more nervous but excited everyday;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
June will be hot, so if you are not in a rush, stop about 3 p.m. (or earlier).

Do laundry soon after arriving so that it will have space and time to dry.

Hot water can run out, so the sooner you shower, the better. Almost no one showers in the morning. Save a little hot water for others by keeping it short and warm.

Most albergues will evict you at 8 a.m. Many pilgrims begin to rise by 5 a.m. Most awake by 6 a.m. Expect the lights to go on at 7 a.m. regardless of how courteous other pilgrims may have been. The sun will be up by 7 a.m., so you will have some cool morning air to cover some distance. Don't waste it!

Stores close at 2 to 3 p.m. for several hours, so you need to shop between 10 a.m. and the siesta closing. Most will reopen at 5 p.m. Many stores are closed on Sunday.

Pilgrim restaurants will open by 7 p.m., but the Spanish do not dine before 8:30 to 9:00 p.m., so in larger cities, you may have an albergue curfew before the restaurants are open.

What Falcon said.
First thing to do when you arrive is put your bag in the line to save your place. Then find shade where you can watch your bag, and wait for the albergue to open.

Once you check in, go find your bed and put something there to hold it, like your sleeping bag.
Then go get your shower - and TAKE YOUR MONEY AND CAMERA AND ANY ELECTRONICS WITH YOU INTO THE SHOWER. Be sure to take a large ziplock bag for this purpose or one of those wet-bags from a sporting goods store.

After showering, you will go wash your clothes... almost always by hand. You can pick up a bar of Fels Naptha in most local stores. This bar laundry soap is made for cold water washing and works great. You can cut it into about 4 slices and share it with some other pilgrims and it is very cheap.

There will be racks or lines to hang your clothes. I take safety pins instead of clothespins so the clothes don't blow or walk away

Then many will either go explore town or take a siesta. Many times you will not find food until late afternoon, so this is a good time for a nap.

Then find or cook dinner.
Then sleep and start all over in the morning after collecting your dry clothes from the racks.
I suggest you not start before dark - that's just crazy in my opinion.
Just go with the flow and trust the camino to provide.

If you arrive at the next town and there is no available bed, so what?
Take a taxi to the next village.
Or sleep under the stars!
Or ask to sleep in the church.
There will always be an answer.

It's so simple it's frightening... and you soon find your own rhythm.

:D :D :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dear Annie and Falcon,

thanks so much for this. Just a simple answer like this has me picture things much more easily. Happy to hear advice from other "experts"..:), keep it coming:)

p.s. Do all Albergues open at the same time? Is it better to grab a bed while you can vs. risking walking on to the next one?

Although starting in June, I will aim for Leon and then take a break and return in October to finish from Leon to Santiago and on to Finnisterre. Once it gets cooler and wetter, is there a risk that clothing never dries? Sorry again if it's an obvious question:)

hugs

M

MarkH said:
Dear Annie and Falcon,

thanks so much for this. Just a simple answer like this has me picture things much more easily. Happy to hear advice from other "experts"..:), keep it coming:)

p.s. Do all Albergues open at the same time? Is it better to grab a bed while you can vs. risking walking on to the next one?

Although starting in June, I will aim for Leon and then take a break and return in October to finish from Leon to Santiago and on to Finnisterre. Once it gets cooler and wetter, is there a risk that clothing never dries? Sorry again if it's an obvious question:)

hugs

M

Mark,

All albergues do NOT open at the same time, but the time is usually posted on the door. In the busy months of summer it is probably better to take a bed when you can find one.

In October when you plan to continue your journey there will be fewer pilgrims and many albergues will start to close for winter. Usually the hospitaleros at one will be able to tell you who is open ahead. Also the weather will definitely change. Be sure to modify your kit for cooler weather. Nights can get quite cold. Most albergues have blankets and heat, but not all.

Autumn weather and conditions on the Camino can be wonderful, but unpredictable!

Buen Camino!

Margaret

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will start my camino in June in SJPP and have found the advice on the forum wonderful. As a non-hiker or experienced trekker I find myself becoming nervous about staying in albergues, finding a bed and best using my time. I would love to hear some experienced pilgrims' advice on how they plan out their typical day. (I don't want to book ahead too much unless I have to).
Things like - best time to look for a bed? Do u shower as soon as you arrive? Laundry early each day or later? Wake early or not? Shower again or not? Shopping for food when and where? Siesta?
I realize these kind of questions might seem silly but as someone who has only stayed in hotels or at home in my 48 years, I'm struggling to imagine my day other than the walking. Stories of no beds and un-showered pilgrims because of long queues or no laundry facilities have me worry about rushing or dwelling on issues I should not.

If anyone can share their typical routine I'd love to hear. Apologies if this is covered on the forum already but I can't seem to find it.

Mark - originally from UK but now Singapore;) and getting more nervous but excited everyday;)
Hi Mark, Welcome

Some don’ts

Don’t put your backpack on the beds
Don’t take a lower bunk unless your age/health/abilities dictate or it is all that is left.
Don’t save beds for someone else
Don’t use a chair unless you have chosen an upper bunk.
Don’t bogart the shower😱

Don’t forget to have a buen camino!

Hi Mark, Welcome

Some don’ts

Don’t put your backpack on the beds
Don’t take a lower bunk unless your age/health/abilities dictate or it is all that is left.
Don’t save beds for someone else
Don’t use a chair unless you have chosen an upper bunk.
Don’t bogart the shower😱

Don’t forget to have a buen camino!
Mark's post was from 2012. Hopefully he's figured these things out over the past 10 years.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.