• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tyvek and pyrethrin

Caminomary525

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2014)
Anybody had any experience treating soft Tyvek with pyrethrin to keep the bed bugs from biting? I got two yards today with the thought of putting it under/around my sleeping bag liner, for additional warmth if needed ,and for protection from night time crawlers.

The material seems like the bug spray might not penetrate. Would the spray adhere well enough to the surface to be effective?

I really don't want to let the bedbugs bite!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I used Sawyers permethrin, which is the most common synthetic pyrethrin and is much more resistant to UV deterioration.

Sawyers claim that it is fine on non-absorbent materials such as packs and tents so it should be okay on Tyvek. Apparently it chemical bonds to the material so doesn't need to absorb into the fabric. So that the spray stays on the Tyvek rather than running off, I suggest that instead of hanging it up vertically, it is laid flat during application and until it is dry.

I used it on my clothes, silk sleep liner and gear including my pack, boots and gaiters. Why these last items? Well, the repellency of permethrin works on having a minimum concentration of molecules around so in effect, you are creating a 'zone of repellency' around your body.

Hope these comments are helpful :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I suggest you read the label for this insecticide. I use a variation of this product in my farm operations, it is a long lasting residual contact insecticide. Personally, I would not spray it where humans could come into repeated contact with a treated surface. Federal laws require chemicals used in agriculture be labeled with information regarding use and toxicity. If all else fails you can find the label on the internet.

The contact with any pesticide (a substance designed to kill living things) for extended periods (like a camino) in anticipation of a problem that may or may not exist is not a good idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Tyvek is a brand of flashspun high-density polyethylene fibers; the name is a registered trademark of DuPont. Any similarity to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. :shock:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
tyrrek said:
Any similarity to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. :shock:
Funny you should mention that - I thought of you when I read the subject line!

For the most part, each alburgue now issues at time of check in a sheet and pillow for bedbugs. I dumped the sheet I treated after the first few days. Never got a bug.

Say Simba said:
For the most part, each alburgue now issues at time of check in a sheet and pillow for bedbugs. I dumped the sheet I treated after the first few days. Never got a bug.

Well that will just have been your luck! :D The camino is not bed bug free.

Mary, what you could try, is treating the sheet with a liter or so of pyrethrin or permethrin solution, let the sheet stay in there for an hour and then let it dry. I have a bottle of permethrin solution from NoBite that is supposed to work for 3 months after treating the textile with it. I have not tested it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
NoorvanderVeen said:
...treating the sheet with a liter or so of pyrethrin or permethrin solution...
... would be excessive.

The small size of Sawyer's is more than adequate to treat 5 cot-sized sheets of soft Tyvek, both sides. Do the treatment outside, on a calm day, be sure to wear protective clothing (like rain gear and dish gloves), spray downwind from you, let it air-dry several hours. Hose yourself off afterwards. Once dry, it poses no hazard to humans.

Tyvek comes in two varieties: one is stiff and hard, used for wrapping houses in a vapor barrier during construction. The other is soft to the hand, used for making kites (and other things I'm sure) - this is the sort I used.

Kitsambler said:
NoorvanderVeen said:
... would be excessive.

I think what NoorvanderVeen is referring to is a DILUTED solution of the permethrin. Some manufacturers used to advocate dipping or soaking the item in a diluted solution and letting the excess drain before drying. Although ensuring full coverage, this method was a bit messy and inconvenient for most so spray application is more common now.

A while back I did check with Sawyers and they say that the full immersion method is still viable but I cannot recall the dilution ratio they recommended. Best to contact them.

I used a piece of permethrin treated soft Tyvek (one meter by two meters and a bit) on the Camino and had lots of questions about it. Could have easily sold it in Santiago two weeks ago but gave it away to someone who will make good use of it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
the dilution ratio they recommended
Five percent (5%) from my bottle of bulk permethrin.

Avoid skin contact with the solution, as previously stated in this thread, and keep aquariums and pets away!

muzzal said:
Kitsambler said:
NoorvanderVeen said:
... would be excessive.

I think what NoorvanderVeen is referring to is a DILUTED solution of the permethrin. Some manufacturers used to advocate dipping or soaking the item in a diluted solution and letting the excess drain before drying. Although ensuring full coverage, this method was a bit messy and inconvenient for most so spray application is more common now.

A while back I did check with Sawyers and they say that the full immersion method is still viable but I cannot recall the dilution ratio they recommended. Best to contact them.

That is what I meant, sorry. I found it hard to explain in english.

... would be excessive.

The small size of Sawyer's is more than adequate to treat 5 cot-sized sheets of soft Tyvek, both sides. Do the treatment outside, on a calm day, be sure to wear protective clothing (like rain gear and dish gloves), spray downwind from you, let it air-dry several hours. Hose yourself off afterwards. Once dry, it poses no hazard to humans.

Tyvek comes in two varieties: one is stiff and hard, used for wrapping houses in a vapor barrier during construction. The other is soft to the hand, used for making kites (and other things I'm sure) - this is the sort I used.

Where can I buy a small sheet of soft Tyvek?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I used a piece of permethrin treated soft Tyvek (one meter by two meters and a bit) on the Camino and had lots of questions about it. Could have easily sold it in Santiago two weeks ago but gave it away to someone who will make good use of it.

Where did you purchase it? I can only find it online in huge quantities! Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Where can I buy a small sheet of soft Tyvek?
You'll want Tyvek 1443R (43g/sq m), which is kitemaking material. Amazon carries it in the US in lengths as short as 2 meters. I'm sure craft-supply shops elsewhere also carry it. This is much softer and lighter than the type of Tyvek sold in home construction.

You'll want Tyvek 1443R (43g/sq m), which is kitemaking material. Amazon carries it in the US in lengths as short as 2 meters. I'm sure craft-supply shops elsewhere also carry it. This is much softer and lighter than the type of Tyvek sold in home construction.

Thanks. The online materials are a bit pricy so I'm checking craft stores right now. So far, no luck, but I'll keep looking! The big question is, will it be lighter than my twin fitted sheet! I'm trying to shave my pack weight!

Thanks again, and Buen Camino! I leave in 20 days! Yikes!

Okay, just found it and ordered it at a very reasonable price on Amazon, and according to the specs, it should be 7 oz lighter than my twin sheet! Yahoo! And thanks again!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
ounce by ounce!
I use a spare piece of Tyvek, about 1 m x 0.5 m, as my "sit-upon" (old Girl Scout lingo). It's wonderfully durable, still going strong now 5 years in. And it keeps my trousers cleaner, which makes laundry easier. It's long enough that I can stretch out for my afternoon nap under a tree, using my pack as a pillow. An essential item!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Another great idea. I was concerned about getting my mattress cover dirty, so just ordered an additional small piece I'll use as my sit-upon! I was in Girl Scouts, too!

Thanks again so much!
Dee

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back