• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

uggg my packing list has no fun

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
So i'm ready for you to tell me what i already know but am in denial about.

There are many things i WANTED on this list but i can see they won't "fit".
Like I REALLY prefer a paper journal, and i would like a digital camera and not just the iphone. I'd like to take an immersion coil and a light weight cup. A front (multipack).A physioball. A Garmin.
So whats here is already a bit over 7 kg FSO. Doesn't have food or water and i don't tend to eat in restaurants for breakfast or lunch, so would pack small food.

I've thought of leaving off legs on 1 pair of pants as the zip offs are interchangeable. i could drop one of the long sleeved, either the Tshirt or shirt, planning to use the light weight fleece instead
in layering
i looked at liners but they can't beat this bag. (My micro bag liner is heavier that the sleeping bag and after testing a light weight liner it would be too light for October nights for me.)
thoughts?
at your disposal
Nanc

Attachments

• final list camino.pdf
    123.7 KB · Views: 141
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You will have to check your pack to get the knife through. We just bought a good one in SJPDP. Used it the whole trip and left it in our last Albergue kitchen. It was a folder with a relatively big blade. We bought bread, cheese, meat and made our own sandwiches for daytime eating. It was also much sharper than the knives in most albergue kitchens for preparing meals.

Your preference. I prefer roll up pants to hike in. Had one pair and also one skort I could wear with or without leggings for evening or hiking. Got both from LL Bean. Mostly just wore 2 t-shirts but took 3. Wore out two of the three and had to pitch two before I came home. Bought a new one in a sports store outside of Leon.

Like I REALLY prefer a paper journal, and i would like a digital camera and not just the iphone. I'd like to take an immersion coil and a light weight cup. A front (multipack).A physioball. A Garmin.

Hi Nanc, you don’t need an immersion coil on the CF as there are many, many places to get a quick cuppa. However, do take a lightweight cup, as cups can be few and far between in the albergues, and often cracked and stained.

I also really prefer a paper journal, but I don’t take one. What I do is to print out the maps from Brierley instead of taking the book itself. Then I write my journal each day on the back of the current day’s map, which I’ve used along the way that day. Bind them all together when you get back home.

Don’t even think about the Garmin.

Jill

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Rather than a journal, we took a spiral bound set of 3x5 cards. Lightweight and also handy if you need a small piece of paper for notes or an address. We did take an electronic version of the German guidebook and a paper version of Brierley as it had phone numbers etc for booking ahead of needed.

I would just take 3 pairs of socks, and use one as gloves if I need to

Every pack list should have some fun! You have a good and lightweight pack list there, and if your pack is around 7 kgs FSO you are definitely winning! (Mine is about 8 FSO and I thought I was good ...) So you'll be carrying about five, plus some water and snacks, that's brilliant. On the CF there are as mentioned lots of places to top up on food and water so you don't need much in the pack - I very rarely have more than half a litre on me and prefer to drink when I sit down. Personal preference and also beware of day one/two, crossing over into Roncesvalles - you need to stock up on water and food/snacks for that stretch in case the man in the van isn't there, and one stretch of 17 km further in.
Back to the fun! You list a few things you'd like to bring and clearly know why you shouldn't, so I think you should treat yourself to one of them for being so good at packing. The cup is practical so that can come anyway, you can get a good note taking app on your phone to jot down the most important things, and bring a colourful lightweight scarf, that livens your wardrobe up! I'd suggest the camera - the pics you take with your (better than mobile, I take it?) digital camera will hold so many more memories than a paper diary you rarely open afterwards.
As the saying goes: Take half the stuff, twice the money and all the photos. You'll be glad you did.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What's FSO? If it were me I'd ditch all the extras except the journal and the camera. But that's just me :) I regret not taking a journal with me last time and also not taking enough photos.

Looks good to me, only the tools 320g seems a bit much, and yes, take a camera and a small notebook and pen if you like that better.
Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
From Skin Out ;-) It makes it easier to compare packing lists as what you wear each day varies too much. Buen Camino, SY
Thank you - so it means all of your clothing even the stuff you are wearing at any one time?

Exactly! Every single thing you plan to take. Buen Camino, SY

Your pack is pretty light, so IMO you could definitely take some of your extras. Which one/s? That's a very personal choice - maybe something that will bring you joy? If it were me, I would take a lightweight journal/notebook. I much prefer the calm routine of writing with a pen and paper, rather than on my phone.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the Frances and Invierno recently, and my advice would be:
--keep your pack as light as you can. Your list looks good!
--I think one long sleeve shirt is enough, and three pairs wool socks. Ditching the extra shirt and socks will make room for a few extras you want to take.
--I would have really regretted not having a paper journal. Typing on my phone would not have been a good substitute for sitting down with a beer or cup of tea at the end of the day and writing down my experiences. Moleskin makes thin lined journals with paper covers that they sell in 3 packs that are very light and inexpensive, and were perfect for backpacking.
--places to stop for coffee are plentiful on most days on the Frances, and they also provide a needed bathroom. I didn't regret not having a cup or coil, though some folks here on the forum love having them.
--I took about 1,000 photos with my iPhone and was glad not to have a separate camera to carry and charge. On the other hand, I carried a sketchbook, pens and watercolor supplies that weighed about 1 1/2 lbs. Drawing and painting added to my walk, and having a better camera may do the same for you. Just make sure that you take something out of your pack to make room for the "extras". My pack weight without snacks and water was 14 lbs (6.5 kilos) and that was just light enough to be comfortable.

Enjoy your Camino--I wish I was going back to start again in October!

You will have to check your pack to get the knife through. We just bought a good one in SJPDP.

since the poles need to go underneath plane i figured on the knife with them. Very similar to opinal at 34 grsms , locking

I agree with jsalt on the lightweight cup. I use a titanium cup and have it attached to my shoulder strap where it's handy for a cafe con leche or a sip of wine.
https://www.rei.com/product/870073/snow-peak-titanium-single-450-cup
Very much a personal preference, but I think my iPhone is the best weight savings device, bar none: camera, GPS, comm device, useful apps, guidebook, books for reading in the evening, and notepad. Also, take pictures of, or scan, critical documents and email them to yourself or store on a cloud service in case you ever need them.

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What's FSO? If it were me I'd ditch all the extras except the journal and the camera. But that's just me :) I regret not taking a journal with me last time and also not taking enough photos.
FSO - From Skin Out

HI Nanc, your list looks good but I am curious about the need for a groundsheet. Are you planning to camp? Also I think you could go with two bras. Keep in mind everyday you will be wearing, rather than carrying some of your weight and the poles will help and worth their weight in gold.
And I agree with Nidarosa. A light, colourful pashmina or scarf has many uses. I took a muslin one, very light but big enough to use as a cover up after shower and shawl in the evening.
I took my Nikon 5100 both times. Big, bulky, heavy and never regretted it. My pictures have given me hours of pleasure. One I blew up and framed. My iPhone takes great pics but my camera takes better. Admittedly I did not do the Pyrennes but plan to next year and my camera will be with me. I did regret not taking a journal and won't make that mistake again.
Buen Camino.

Nanc,
I will say the one thing I used the most was a scarf. We also bought one for hubby in country. Used it for a pillow case. Light cover when napping. Used it as a wrap when I was cold in the evening, used it to liven up my otherwise dull wardrobe.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree with J Willhaus, the scarf is a must. I accidentally lost mine in a albergue but two days later a young lady that was sleeping next to me in that albergue handed me my scarf, she was looking out for the two South African ladies and I was so grateful. I have jotted down notes/memories in a very small and lightweight exercise book and draw up a journal back home and every year at the same time as my Camino I read the journal and relive the Camino. Unfortunately my camera was stolen in Astorga by a seemingly very helpful man, but friends from America and other countries that I have met on the Camino send me photos, even a CD full of photos. But as suggested by many don't worry, everything you need can be bought on your way.

hi we are doing the camino francais this month, i think 7 kg its ok! but just try it with 1lt of water and food because at the end , with all the camera and stuff you will get 10kg and 10 for the camino francais its a lot!
we did not eat at the restaurant we prepared our food at nigth for the next day!so we carried food with us all day, just for the day and went shoping for little stuff each day ! thats better for the budget! we spend 2 euros each day in food! and in the alberges they have stoves so you can heat or prepare your food !
for the camera, i realize that its a personal thing what do YOU want for your memories! if its a good thing so carry your 300g or 400g because its you who its going to carrie it!
in the albergues they have some covers and mostly its warm , because theirs always people! so dont carry a big thing for sleeping bag
rain jacket defently but a ligth one, with a polar its ok
2 socks ,2 bras, etc,, 1 that you are using and the other for in case it rains or for at nigth, in the albergues you can wash your things evrey day! and it will dry for the next day! no need for a nother!
jurnal !! mmmm i just recorded my self in my phone and then made a jurnal, but that is my choise! if you are better writing gooo! and do what its better for you!

you see we can tell you how to pack but at the end its you who is going to see in the camino whats the best for you! because i can tell you we got readoff some things that we didnt use at all! we sent them by la poste (mail) ;D
good luck!

You have a great pack list. I only have a few suggestions.
  • Lighter weight Croc sandles...mine weighed 340 and I have big feet...because they are plastic I could wear them in the shower.
  • One pair of pant bottoms...I did the same and it worked out fine
  • Either bring the fleece or the merino shirt...only one. If you hit a cold stretch you can pick up an extra fleece in the bigger towns and then get rid of it later.
  • One thing I didn't see, a bandana. I found mine to be indispensable. Drying hands when there were no towels, wiping down my spork...which reminds me...
  • A spork...I got a real light weight metal one. I used it every day.
  • A cork puller

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks all, i know the final decision is personal, weighing what's worth the weight or what to do without.
But what did help was to read your comments and see how those solutions resonated.
Some are simple: i don't drink- no cork screw.
My foot ankle issues demand orthotics and the croc is too flexible for even short term use.

i have tried light weight shirts for arm coverage and an extra layer but all have been too hot from REI, columbia etc.The merino shirt does both warmth and breathven if it is excessive for arm coverage.
i am not sure it will substitute for fleece in october? or that the fleece be too heavy for arm coverage.

i actually purchased a pakistani scarf one of our list recommended and was disappointed in how heavy it was

since my feet hike hot, the frequent sock changing others have recommended seems to be helpful- but that means more socks ;-)
I'm debating the third bra, and for those of you who used socks as gloves did it really work with poles??
it is amazing how much playing one can do with a simple packing list!
nanc

Thanks all, i know the final decision is personal, weighing what's worth the weight or what to do without.
But what did help was to read your comments and see how those solutions resonated.
Some are simple: i don't drink- no cork screw.
My foot ankle issues demand orthotics and the croc is too flexible for even short term use.

i have tried light weight shirts for arm coverage and an extra layer but all have been too hot from REI, columbia etc.The merino shirt does both warmth and breathven if it is excessive for arm coverage.
i am not sure it will substitute for fleece in october? or that the fleece be too heavy for arm coverage.

i actually purchased a pakistani scarf one of our list recommended and was disappointed in how heavy it was

since my feet hike hot, the frequent sock changing others have recommended seems to be helpful- but that means more socks ;-)
I'm debating the third bra, and for those of you who used socks as gloves did it really work with poles??
it is amazing how much playing one can do with a simple packing list!
nanc
Try muslin for a scarf/pashmina. Very light, dries super fast. But keeps the chill off. Often sold as beach cover up.

... and for those of you who used socks as gloves did it really work with poles??
nanc
Will not work if you are using your poles correctly!

This video is not ideal, but it is basically correct and only 15 seconds long. It is really important to hold poles correctly if you want them to do their job efficiently.

Note: Something that is frustrating even with normal gloves is using a camera or smartphone. There are gloves with removable fingers (such as www.freehands.com), but some of them are heavy. Next Camino, I will probably sew a small stylus to my right glove.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
i like the post of latecomer! its rreally nice us we just met someone on the way who told us how to use the pols and it change our life! rreally and in the morning its cold so if you have bad circulations globs are better! and they protect you from getting a bleu in your hand for the first days
3 bra!! no way! i got it but i did never use it! i just had one in each day and when i got to the albergue i wash it and i put the other in the afternoon and use it the next day! no need to carry something that u wont use!
and for the feet somes days i used 2 socks but , my feet will go big , so i finish using 1 pair and each 2 hrs i just rested and lay down for 15 min and get my feat some aire and like this i did not got any blisters :D

Keep:
* paper journal (if that's what you are accustomed to using)
* digital camera (if you are a photographer)
* lightweight fleece (I used mine in the AM...even in August) + 1 lightweight long sleeve
Ditch:
* coil (albuerges have teapots)
* physioball?
* Garmin- have your phone unlocked and get a local SIM for it. You'll have signal for most of the trip
Consider:
* duct tape & ziploc bags (useful for sealing up food that you are carrying)
Here's my packing list from my Camino
http://wayfaringviews.com/camino-de-santiago-packing-list-women/

buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nanc,

First, you did this right-weighing everything in grams. That will help you make the best decisions. What follows is just what works for me, but YMMV.

I would consider leaving behind not just the extra legs (I did that), but the entire second pair of pants. One "go" outfit for walking. On alburgue outfit (yoga pants). That's it.

I would consider leaving behind two of the shirts (personally, I walk in long sleeve shirts, especially when it is hot for sun protection). Again, one "go" outfit, one alburgue outfit. And that's it.

Two sets undies/bras. Same principle (my wife actually lost one pair of undies the second day and walked for the next 5 weeks with just one pair).

Last but not least, your heaviest category is sleeping gear. I would take either the sleeping bag (sprayed with permethrin) or the liner (sprayed with permethrin), but not both. You will never need both. Advantages and disadvantages to both, and you know yourself best, but make a decision.

With those changes, you have more then enough clearance to take a camera (I did) or paper journal (I didn't, but I'm a musician and took a Native American flute.)

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Hi Nanc
Instead of a notebook/journal, have you considered the Camino Frances Notebook Credential for sale in the Camino Store? It weighs 138gms also serves and is accepted as your credential, is beautifully illustrated and has 38 pages for notes.

Have bought a couple for friends on the Way and they arrived in Australia very quickly.

I have picked up a midori insert for their light travel journal . Weighs half of the one i had purchased and very thin strong paper. i'll debate ( with myself) the trade off of less weight against the requirement to launder daily and the optimism of adequate drying over night.
My understanding is it gets cooler and wetter in October.
I might be able to leave one of the long sleeves. That seems the most unnecessary
Thanks again all the input

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.