• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Uh-oh. I'm in trouble aren't I? LHR to STN

mralisn

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP-SdC (2005), Camino Norte-Fisterra (2010), SJPdP-Muxia-Fisterra (2012), Camino Norte w/Primitivo-Muxia-Fisterra (2014), Camino Portuguese (2016)
Greetings wonderful forum members!

I depart Sunday morning for SJPdP from California (2 cars, 3 planes, 2 buses, 1 train). I realized yesterday morning I might have a big problem on my hands when I arrive in London Monday morning.

Had planned to use National Express bus as I have done several times before with great success. I can purchase my ticket online and go straight to bus stop outside of Terminal 3 where I land.

I arrive at London Heathrow at 7:50.

8:15 to 9:35(arrival) or 9:15 to 11:00(arrival) are my options via National Express.

My Ryan Air gate closes at 11:45.

I have no checked baggage. I don't think I can make it off the plane, get through all checks, and to National Express by 8:15. If I take the 9:15 bus, I'll only have 45 minutes to get to my gate at Stansted. I already have my boarding pass, but still have to go through security checks. Again, I only have my carry on at 8kg.

First time using STN. Do you think I'll make my flight to Biarritz if arrive by 11:00?

I LOVE adventures like this usually, but this makes me a bit nervous.

Input or suggestions?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Depending on traffic!!!!!!!!!!! Gulp! You may just make it! :). Would love to hear the outcome! It seemed to take hours on a bus from Victoria Station to Stanstead for me :). Ended up making my flight though..... !!

I can see why you are worried. Your plane could land early or late which would add to the variables. The M25 could be clear or jammed with traffic.

The coach stand is in front of the Stansted terminal, security should not be too busy at 11.00am on a Monday and there is a fast track security if I recall correctly. Ryanair flights are a longish walk from security but at least it is all walking with no wait for shuttles.

Good luck!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very nice to read your input William. Thank you for that.

I am used to running through airports. Most of the time it is quite comical, and it ALWAYS has worked out for me. Maybe that is why it's fun.

I was looking at the STN map and saw something called "Fast Track Security". I was thinking this was only for "preferred travelers/1st class types", and hoping someone would allow me to use just in case.

Yep, if my arrival in LHR is early, I could exhale. Ahh!

Thank you yogabanana! Not sure what happened to my response to you, but thanks again. This should be interesting.

Will be looking for continued input throughout the day. Oh the joy of travel!
yogabanana said:
Depending on traffic!!!!!!!!!!! Gulp! You may just make it! :). Would love to hear the outcome! It seemed to take hours on a bus from Victoria Station to Stanstead for me :). Ended up making my flight though..... !!

I love your bravery and sense of adventure! I'm in the middle of planning my trip, and spending far too long worrying about making all my connections. I hope I learn to enjoy the ride of an adventure and just deal with whatever happens like you obviously do. Good luck. I hope all goes well, you make your flight and enjoy your Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
LynnieMayT said:
I love your bravery and sense of adventure! I'm in the middle of planning my trip, and spending far too long worrying about making all my connections. I hope I learn to enjoy the ride of an adventure and just deal with whatever happens like you obviously do. Good luck. I hope all goes well, you make your flight and enjoy your Camino.

LynnieMay,

One of the most important 'rules' of the Camino (and life) is to 'let it be'!
Worry only about what you can control. For the rest what will be will be.
Relax and enjoy the journey.

Buen Camino!

Margaret

personally I would go for the train

Heathrow - paddington is 15 minutes, trains run every 15 minutes

paddington to Liverpool street is about 20 minutes (less)

Liverpool street - stanstead are 45minutes trains run every 15 minutes

Journey time is the same (shorter if you are lucky), but if you miss the 8,15 you will be able to get going much sooner than the hour that is the wait for the next bus....

Also, rush hour traffic in London can be a killer and the risk of delays larger on busses than trains...

but I know how you feel, I have 1hour 10 minutes to change terminals in Paris, which is cutting it close too...

I agree with Pieces, across town by train will be more reliable. Monday morning after the holiday on the M25 could be bad, though it may not be. Personally I'd consider booking the Tuesday flight while it is £69 which it probably won't be if you have to book it on Monday. Good luck.

Andrew.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi!

The Ryanair check in is usually a bit of a nightmare because all flights check in at the same desks. However, when a flight is near to closing there's usually a member of staff stewarding the crowds who will shout out 'Biarritz! Anyone for Biarritz?!' and rush you to another desk or to the front of the queue. Try to identify him/her when you arrive. They usually wear a fluorescent jacket and look self-important.

Buen Camino!

No good at aeroplanes as I don't fly but National Express tend to run pretty well on time - but then, there are accidents, roadworks, etc - leave stressfree time to spare on any connection.

By the way - good luck on your Camino, I'm sure you will love it but I have to tell you, your rucksack is Much too heavy - "(2 cars, 3 planes, 2 buses, 1 train)" - much too heavy!

Just to add mralisn, there's been a lot of fuss in the press here about how long it takes people to get through Heathrow border controls, especially with the Olympics approaching. There's a lot of pressure at the moment to speed things up. If they've got their act together you might be lucky and get through reasonably quickly.

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was in the same squeeze between Heathrow and Stansted.
Ended up taking a day to see London and overnight in a B&B near Stansted.

My body was in London, my heart was on the Camino. It was a wasted and expensive day. It cost me all the money I had saved by flying with Ryan Air. I have never looked at the pictures I took in London.

skilsaw said:
It was a wasted and expensive day.
Agreed. I'm no fan of London and it sucks money out of you like there's no tomorrow.

However, if anyone finds themselves passing through there's a lot you can see and do in one day. Staying near Stansted is much cheaper than central London, so do a bit of sightseeing then get out in the evening!

Just be clever. Madame Tussauds will cost you £30 and a long time in a queue, but as far as I know the British Museum, Natural History Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum etc are all still free and close to each other (well, not the British Museum, but the others).

You can walk from Waterloo across the Westminster Bridge to see the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey, along Whitehall past Downing Street and Horseguards to Trafalgar Square and up the Mall to Buckingham Palace all in an hour or two. Then have a picnic in St James Park and feed the squirrels with the remains. Cheap and cheerful!

Buen Camino!

Thank you to everyone. I still do not have assurance, but I LOVE the adventure that comes with "budget travel". I was thinking of purchasing my National Express ticket online, but now I may wait to see what happens. Of course I would want to catch that 8:15 bus, but I don't think that is in my favor. However, if I catch the tube route near 8:30, maybe I have a better chance than waiting for the next bus.

In all honesty with myself, I am more apt to take that later bus, squirm while in transit, RUN off bus, beg my way to expedite my position in queue as mentioned above, and squeeze through as they close the airplane door. Whew!

Thank you for all suggestions/advice and encouragement.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
mralisn said:
However, if I catch the tube route near 8:30, maybe I have a better chance than waiting for the next bus.
No, don't get the Tube. What Pieces recommended was the Heathrow Express, which is a proper train, although it only goes to Paddington (who wants to go to Paddington?!) and then you'd connect onto the Tube. The Tube from Heathrow takes ages. I'd take my chances with National Express, personally, even if you have to get the later one.

If, God forbid, your flight is significantly delayed from the States and you know you'll miss the connection at Stansted, the Travelodge at Bishops Stortford (by Stansted) is relatively cheap.

Buen Camino!

Thank you Tyrrek! I am with you on this one. Take the tube involves more variables. I'd like to THINK I have learned much in nearly 15 years of travel, but I am always trumped when I think I've "figured it out". One thing I know about me is adding more components creates more anxiety. In all of this, I am more embarrassed to have such an oversight. For some reason I thought my flight left an hour later near 13:00. I create much of my own travel "issues" needlessly, but then an adventure starts.

At worse, I get stuck in London, and stay with a friend for the night. I'll try to go the next day, and spend an evening catching up with her. At best, this friend might have the time to come get me in the morning eliminating the bus all together (very small chance) and take me to STN w/time for coffee and catch up!

Well, every silver lining has a cloud...or should that be the other way round!. You'll get there eventually, as you know. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
mralisn said:
I was looking at the STN map and saw something called "Fast Track Security". I was thinking this was only for "preferred travelers/1st class types", and hoping someone would allow me to use just in case.

I *think* this is for people who register ahead of time, pay a few hundred dollars a year, and get special card for going through border controls, etc. It takes a while to be vetted, etc., so probably not an option now (and expensive).

I have one hour to change planes in LHR, and I'm assuming I will NOT make my flight to Madrid, so I haven't booked a train. Last year, flying from the US to Paris, our flight was delayed, but I was able to cancel the train I had booked the day before (and our reservations in SJPP). I'd rather play it by ear than frantically try to change reservations, etc., with spotty airport wifi.

Good luck to you and buen camino!

Also remember to make sure your bag is okay to carry on to Ryanair. People have to pay to check for even a few centimeters too tall or wide regardless of the weight. They will charge you right at the gate when they go around with their measuring contraption. In the future you might want to consider flying into Dublin because both major international airlines and Ryanair fly in and out of the same airport without needing to rush across a city. Good luck! I hope it works out for you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
JillHives said:
Also remember to make sure your bag is okay to carry on to Ryanair. People have to pay to check for even a few centimeters too tall or wide regardless of the weight. They will charge you right at the gate when they go around with their measuring contraption. In the future you might want to consider flying into Dublin because both major international airlines and Ryanair fly in and out of the same airport without needing to rush across a city. Good luck! I hope it works out for you.

Will be good training too, a few miles walk along a bouncy floor to the 'ryanair' terminal :)

Yes, have left LA(1hour) late yet arrived early(1hour), just depends what the gulf stream is up too :roll:
We are all 'routing' for you, so please don't leave it till Santiago to tell us you've arrived, we'd like to know Mon/Tues @ the latest :)

England looks lush @ the moment with all the recent rain :)

I have no idea however it costs 25 quid from Heathrow to Stansted, if you are late then thats 25 + lodging + food + alternative transportation provided they can get you on a next flight. Perhaps, and this is just a perhaps, find a taxi and finagle a deal straight through, 50-60 quid for a taxi is still cheaper than the cost of spending a day or two in London and public trnsportation back and forth.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm liking how my little adventure brings a smile to me. This is not something new for me, running from one transport to another. I sprinted across Munich airport a few years ago, and my shorts fell, then I fell. I looked like an upside down turtle. I've ended up at wrong terminals, trapped in restroom stall, jumping in the back of delivery truck, separated by securities on numerous occasions, and have used sleepinginaiports.net as one of my most favorite resources! I've reverted to fake cries even. Not my most shining moments, but it seems to not fail. Most of my travels are seamless, but not all. I find U.S. airports the most confusing.

Of the 45 rows on my plane to LHR, I'm in 41. Figures. If they have back exit, I'm golden as far as a quick get off.

I've spent some time in London twice before. Would like to not have to stay if possible. I do like all of the suggestions of things to do as I have already done these and more.

I've been looking into a straight taxi ride as well. Perhaps I'll "work the aisles" while on 9hr transit and find others to share taxi. That would be cool! A long shot I know.

During this search for info, I've come up with another idea. Maybe I miss the 8:15 by a few minutes. Would it be beneficial to take the express tube to London and then catch a taxi directly to STN? Looking at a map, I'm thinking this doesn't do me any good. A few quid to get into London and then the same taxi price to get to STN (as it would be from LHR) isn't favorable. However, a few quid and half the taxi?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
David said:
Perhaps you could canvass your flight passengers - maybe share the cost?
David read my mind as I was typing! This is becoming more fun each moment!

Cheers!
Simeon

Simeon - I can't tell you how much I like your positive, life is an adventure, attitude!

Way to go! (I believe is the American expression?)

This is getting hot, it's a shame we cannot stream this live with a webcam in your cap, either that or we could just get David to write the script as he sees it, and then do an update, there is a lot of tension.......it really is true your camino does start before one leaves home, must have beer to calm down :)

€46,-
Last time I was in London the airplane had to circulate 35 min above London before landing due to morning rush hour as we were told.

So good luck! Heathrow is HUGE!

It's a sad reflection on my country when a guy is about to walk 500 miles across Spain, but the biggest 'adventure' is getting from Heathrow to Stansted. Honestly, this place is getting to be like the Third World. :shock:

Actually, it's not really 'my country' because I'm Scottish. :D

Buen Camino!

p.s. Lots of circling around London before landing is normal and built into the schedule to some extent. If you're very sad like me look at this website to see how it all works. http://www.flightradar24.com/

British Airways has acquired Iberia, so many of the flights from the U.S. start on British Airways. The information distributed to ticket holders by Iberia for flights through Heathrow suggest three hours for connections at Heathrow! If they think it takes three hours to get between terminals at Heathrow, I cannot even imagine what it takes to clear Heathrow and then get to Stanstead. :mrgreen:

Good luck, and buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
"During this search for info, I've come up with another idea. Maybe I miss the 8:15 by a few minutes. Would it be beneficial to take the express tube to London and then catch a taxi directly to STN?"

Whooaa! No.
Mralisn, all your ideas have been sound up to this point. But getting into central London and then trying to get a taxi back out to STN is the worst of both worlds. Especially in rush hour.
It seems unlikely you'll make the 8.15 bus, but there's a good chance you'll make the next, although there have been queues of several hours reported recently at Heathrow.
If you get the 9.15 you should be fine unless there's some kind of accident hold up on the M-way. I'd say about a 15% chance of this.
Pieces suggestion is the most certain public transport option - although you are dependent on three networks working. Incidentally there are no planned engineering works on the metropolitan line this weekend so there's no obvious reason for a delay between Paddington and Liverpool St on the underground on Monday morning. This option will cost about double the National Express ticket price.
The taxi option works if you hire one to go straight to STN, around London, not into it. It will follow the same route as the National Express coach, but it'll probably give you an extra half hour. It'll cost nearly £100 (just got a sample quote from (transferdepot.co.uk for £92).
But as you are pretty laid back about the whole thing, I'm sure it'll work out whatever you decide to do (but please, believe me as a Londoner, going into central London to pick up a taxi is just wrong!)

peregrino_tom said:
But as you are pretty laid back about the whole thing, I'm sure it'll work out whatever you decide to do (but please, believe me as a Londoner, going into central London to pick up a taxi is just wrong!)
Thank you peregrino_tom! Being a simple dude from California, I hear your message "is just wrong" loud and clear! This really made me smile as it's that simple to say and understand. Bad idea on my part and will throw that one out.

Hmm...this should be interesting yet nothing new to me! Ugh!

Stay tuned everyone...

We will. Interested to hear how it goes. I reckon you'll be fine, and will probably have time for a beer before boarding. I must correct one of my earlier posts which said that all Ryanair flights check in at the same bank of desks. There are actually a couple of banks of Ryanair desks (each dealing with multiple flights), so check the screen when you enter the terminal. However, there will be someone at each one shouting at the latecomers, I'm sure.

Buen Camino!

tyrrek said:
We will. Interested to hear how it goes. I reckon you'll be fine, and will probably have time for a beer before boarding.

Buen Camino!
You just made my day tyrrek! I think I could use a beer as soon as the Ryan Air door closes with me on the plane! Before is good too! :D

Hah, we're on the same flight! I'll keep an eye out for a very relieved person with a beer and come up and say hello ;-)

All the best!

Mon :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
P.S. I came through Heathrow a week ago and it took me 20 minute to get through customs, the long bit was walking to it from the plane. I might have just been lucky and arrived at a quiet time but I think you'll be fine.

gosh & now you've got a nurse!, & thought you liked travelling alone......sending a virtual beer from me! :)

ps don't buy a ryanair beer otherwise your budget will be out the window :lol:

Montarsha said:
Hah, we're on the same flight! I'll keep an eye out for a very relieved person with a beer and come up and say hello ;-)

All the best!

Mon :)
Yes, please look for me! I'm easy to see. I'll be the frazzled guy a tiny Pooh strapped to his backpack. Oh how wonderful this will be!

Keep a smile!
Simeon

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Abbeydore said:
gosh & now you've got a nurse!, & thought you liked travelling alone......sending a virtual beer from me! :)

ps don't buy a ryanair beer otherwise your budget will be out the window :lol:
I'm going to need all the assistance I can get no matter nurse or beer! Chocolate works too!

Here we go everybody! I start my 1.5 day journey from here in Northern California in minutes. I thank all of you for your advice, well wishes, and laughs. As I'm rushing out my door, I'm thinking the theme from "Benny Hill" should be the start of my soundtrack....

¡Salud!
Simeon

I love the support, practical information and the humor! I clicked on the Benny Hill you tube video and started smiling as soon as the music came on.....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pieces said:
no no no no no

no time for beer, time for finding a computer and telling the tale...

Absolutely!

perhaps we should all book on the same flight, just to surprise him!

I'm interested in how you make out as well, mralisn. Good luck, God Bless and BUEN CAMINO!

WanderingChristian
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

It might sound really nasty to say I hope mralisn has to rebook a flight, or gets a blister etc, so Pieces catches up with him. I think they'd make a good Camino family. :D

maybe you can go to Heathrow and act as decoy tyrrek, just bring your ghettoblaster w benny hill and lots of choclate and he will surely follow you wherever :p

Pieces said:
maybe you can go to Heathrow and act as decoy tyrrek, just bring your ghettoblaster w benny hill and lots of choclate and he will surely follow you wherever :p
No. I'll leave any following to you two. Buen Caminos!

Jmmmpr said:
I love the support, practical information and the humor! I clicked on the Benny Hill you tube video and started smiling as soon as the music came on.....
It's funny. I spent several years working abroad teaching English and Benny Hill was so much more popular outside the UK than in it. My Mum never let us watch him when I was a kid. Or Kenny Everett, for that matter. :(

Buen Camino!

Wahoo! In Bayonne awaiting train to SJPdP. What an adventure! Thanks to you all for the well wishes. There are details to share once I get to a better computer. For now, I have a beer and chocolate ready for my last transport of this insane journey. The soundtrack is perfect! Your support and laughter is very much appreciated. Queue up, drinks on me!

Keep a smile,
Simeon

mralisn said:
Wahoo! In Bayonne awaiting train to SJPdP. What an adventure! Thanks to you all for the well wishes. There are details to share once I get to a better computer. For now, I have a beer and chocolate ready for my last transport of this insane journey. The soundtrack is perfect! Your support and laughter is very much appreciated. Queue up, drinks on me!

Keep a smile,
Simeon
Glad you made it and have a beer. Next problem is getting you and Pieces together. Forget about Vaseline, double socks etc. Get a blister! :D

Buen Camino, and send it my regards!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Excellent!! Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

Hey - find a bar with a tv tonight ... Euro 2012 - England play their first match this eve and it is against France

Avance les Bleus!!! :lol:

Simeon,
Yes, without Benny Hill, I don't think we would have got thru' this, sleepless night the lot.

Well Done Buen Camino :D

David

*gets in line jumping up & down with excitement at the thought of getting choclate*

I just hope they didn't eat it all....

:p

€46,-
tyrrek said:
Jmmmpr said:
It's funny. I spent several years working abroad teaching English and Benny Hill was so much more popular outside the UK than in it. My Mum never let us watch him when I was a kid. Or Kenny Everett, for that matter. :(

Buen Camino!

This is very sad, you have really missed out, Benny Hill has cause me more than one sore chest from laughing too much, & now I've got another :lol: KE was great too, sadly left us too too young.

Simeon, you have a lot of people pulling for you and haven't even posted but try to keep up on your progress. Then there is everyone not on Camino that would like to be there with you from th first step. Smell the fresh air coming out of SJPP and climbing the Pyrenees; the sun shining above, the first time there is a struggle to taking the next step only to be renewed by the kind word of another pilgrim or the kind word of the still, small voice within.

God bless,

Hello all,

I have made a short day to Pamplona where I will relax in outdoor cafe for the afternoon. Many meeting for the game tonight of Spain v. Ireland. Poor Ireland. :wink:

On my travel day, I arrived only 20 minutes before my boarding of the first flight. I RAN through the airport with only 5 minutes to spare. While in Dallas, I was watching the match with Irish travelers v. Croatia, lost track of time, and had to RUN to my plane. I was one of the last to board. Oops!

My London arrival noted nearly 30 minutes ahead of schedule, and then the plane circled for all 30 minutes. No early landing. Ugh!

I RAN through Heathrow as I had a very small chance to catch that 8:15 bus. Nearly 50 minutes going through passport control. I thought I was going to miss the 9:15 bus! Damnit!

I RAN again to 9:15 bus and boarded the wrong bus! I got on the Gatwick one. Duh.

The bus driver noted he didn´t check my ticket, then yells at me for getting on without putting my backpack in the undercarriage, then makes me look like a fool (I am) for getting on the wrong bus, then yells at another bus driver to put me on HIS bus instead of the one I was supposed to take. My new bus driver promised me we would arrive at STN well before the bus I was supposed to take, so I got on. Yay!

The bus I was on broke down at a roundabout! %&¿*!

The bus driver and his helper made some banging noises on the motor, and we got going again. Hurray!

The bus dispatcher tells bus driver to get off highway because of the heavy traffic and take small roads through villages going painstakingly slow. WTF? (excuse me)

Suddenly out of nowhere, we are pulling into STN 15 minutes earlier than my other bus was scheduled. So an hour to get to gate before it closes. Hell ya!

I RUN off bus, go to security check, then had to to go Ryan Air line to get visa check or something, then back to security check, and finally to the monitor which told me to wait for gate assignment.

As mentioned above, this is typical Simeon traveling....I LOVE IT!

I had dinner in my alburgue in SJPdP with 24 other from many nations. I started my walk in the rain, wind, cold at 7:00. The rain, wind, cold got more and more severe as I climbed higher and higher. Because of this, I went faster and faster enjoying the battle.

I made it to Roncessvalles by 12:15. I was freezing and wet but happy and smiling!

Again, thank you very much for the fun thread and your interest in my success. I thought of all of you as I was departing STN. I will always appreciate the kindness.

So now I spend the day in Pamplona spoiling myself before I walk tomorrow to Puente de Reina.

I will raise my glass to all of you this evening.

¡Salud!
Simeon

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
mralisn said:
The bus I was on broke down at a roundabout! %&¿*!
Why am I not surprised? Third World. At least you got there eventually. :D

Buen Camino!

There seems to be a disturbance in the Force, I tried sending this message privately several times and received a request to login even though I am logged in each time??? So please take it here.
Greetings from Jerusalem.
Glad you made it! Glad to hear that you are over there now, so slow down and enjoy the ride. Alto de Perdon is before Puente, stop and enjoy the sculpture the windmills, and the view, the coffee there is nothing to write home about. Eunate church is before Puente, stop and enjoy history - why does the church remind people of Jerusalem? Puente is a marvelous town with several beautiful churches, stop see and enjoy them. Jakue albergue is at the entrance of town by the funny little statue, stop over there and enjoy the comfort. Stop and go see the BRIDGE - the place is not called Puente on a whim , observe it from both sides from underneath and over from the main road out. You have embarked on a true adventure, the mileage you pass is the least most important and in fact, the most uninteresting part of the whole walk. Settle back let the Camino come to you and enjoy all the myriad experiences it can offer if you will allow them to happen. Nothing mystical mind you, but - Omnis festinatio est a Diabolo - haste is of the devil you know.

Brilliant! Very funny.

You should write a book about all your travel capers – clearly you already have a fan base intrigued by all your (mis)adventures and willing you along every step of the way!

Glad you made it safe and sound. Enjoy the journey to come. I look forward to further instalments...
:wink:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
sounds like you had great fun almost not catching your plane, well done ! :p

hopefully I will have an equal amount og fun easily catching mine tomorrow, and trying to follow the choclate trail... :lol:

P - almost right behind you

Pieces said:
hopefully I will have an equal amount og fun easily catching mine tomorrow, and trying to follow the choclate trail... :lol:

P - almost right behind you
Buen Camino Pieces. Your contributions here are always appreciated so keep us posted!

Thanks Tyrrek, will do

current status is my gear weighs in at 5,28 that is including gum & small change and all (better get spending) :lol:

€46,-

€46,-
Good, Spanish chocolate is lovely & if you are desperate for expensio stuff can tell you of a shop in Santiago........now that's some carrot.

OK after going to tourist office turn left, stop for coffee @ hotel Suso, come out, turn left, straight on till you get to square go to far side & there you have it, nearby we found a hot-choc-shop where you could have just about any flavoured choc you could imagine....... :)

StJdP to Ronc by 12.15!

Outstanding. I recall it being almost dark when we arrived
Around 6pm I think.

In fact, I recall it being probably our toughest day. Full packs ( prior to sending about 8 kilos between us back home by mail in Pamplona) and generally being over awed by where we were and what we were doing.

Have a great and wonderful experience.

Buen Camino

Ian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Simeon, I'm looking forward to reading more updates . . . We're praying for you. Haven't got "The Way" yet from Mrs. Hammon. We'll probably watch it as a family night . . . with pizza . . . while you're walking in the rain and getting blisters! Happy Trails!
Jamie

Simon old mate ,
I hope you never have an "round -the world- trip" organised.
As you are now on the way, how simple was it and why the worry....
Enjoy the coming weeks mate,
Buen Camino
David

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Another wonderful day under cloud cover as I walked through the vineyards from Viana to Najera!

Left Najera this morning just after 6:00 in an AMAZING lightening and thunder storm with pouring rain. There was soo much energy with only me on the way. Always a reminder of how small I am. Now in Grañon and loving every second of the Camino. I´m happy.

Keep on truckin'! [a blast from the past]

If you are taking the clouds and bad luck with you, then those who are at some distance are safe, right? :D :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There must be a dodgy chewy croissant with some kind of chocolate stuff in it at least? Or a long-life doughnut in a plastic wrapper. :D Buen Camino!

Simeon,
FYI . . . Daniel's PETSCAN on Tuesday was negative! At this moment, he's been declared cancer-free. Thank You Lord! We pray he stays that way. Slight infection in a lung. Two weeks of anti-biotics for that. Hopefully, no big deal. Thanks for keeping him in your prayers . . . and you remain in ours . . .
Jamie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
jspring33 said:
Simeon,
FYI . . . Daniel's PETSCAN on Tuesday was negative! At this moment, he's been declared cancer-free. Thank You Lord! We pray he stays that way. Slight infection in a lung. Two weeks of anti-biotics for that. Hopefully, no big deal. Thanks for keeping him in your prayers . . . and you remain in ours . . .
Jamie

This is incredible news! I am soo happy!

For those who wouldn´t know, I have dedicated this Camino to an awesome teenage boy of one of my friends and collegues. I carry a special momento from him each day and continually pray for Daniel.

While my travel follies may seem useless and sometimes self-incriminating, one might see why it was important for me not to screw this one up right from the beginning. Yes, I will always see there is much more to life than catching a plane. In this case, I didn´t want to let this family down or have my mind preoccupied with insignificant matters.

In my Camino family this summer, I have been walking with an older Swedish woman who two years ago was only giving months to live. In only a few months ago, she got full clearance from her Dr. The first thing she did was buy a ticket to walk the Camino. Her spirit is unrivaled and her smile contagious.

Thank you Jamie for sharing such great news with me. Tonight I take this to the pilgrim´s mass and share with the other peregrinos.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Fantastic news all round! I didn't realise you were walking with such purpose Mralisn. I hope my flippant comments earlier on this thread didn't offend at the time. I assume you've passed through Burgos by now and also Rabe, where the bar owner distributes little medals of the village patron - Our Lady of Miracles. Between her and St James things down here can get sorted out.

Buen Camino!

Absolutely no offense taken Tyrrek. Please don´t even think twice. I have always enjoyed your comments, humor, advice.

I am now one day out of Leon after another wonderful walk this morning. I love the Camino so much each day. Even more, the people of the Camino are incredibly beautiful. I am happy to have such experiences and elation different than previous walks or even previous days.

Salud,
Simeon

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
mralisn said:
Absolutely no offense taken Tyrrek. Please don´t even think twice. I have always enjoyed your comments, humor, advice.
Thanks Simeon. Glad all is going so well after a stressful start! :D

As I'm on and off the computer these days, I miss threads occasionally. This one was a delight to read, from start to .... well where ever we are now!

Simeon, your trip is just turning out to be the most fun to follow. I actually wound up reading the whole London bit while the Benny Hill clip was playing. Perfect perfect combo! Thanks Pieces!

Reading your good news near the end here is just the best. So here's to prayers for both of you and wishing you all the best as you continue joyfully on your Camino.

Buen Camino, Karin

€83,-
ksam said:
As I'm on and off the computer these days, I miss threads occasionally. This one was a delight to read, from start to .... well where ever we are now!

Simeon, your trip is just turning out to be the most fun to follow. I actually wound up reading the whole London bit while the Benny Hill clip was playing. Perfect perfect combo! Thanks Pieces!

Reading your good news near the end here is just the best. So here's to prayers for both of you and wishing you all the best as you continue joyfully on your Camino.

Buen Camino, Karin

Thank you very much for the kind words and support Karin. This is very much appreciated.

I made it to SDC yesterday after another 4 amazing weeks.

I love everything about the Camino and each day of walking, running, crawling, laughing, sorrow, pain, wine, chocolate, beatiful people, heat, rain, cold, and puppies brings me the biggest smile.

I ¨rest¨ here for the day and tomorrow move on to Fisterre and Muxia. Still undecided which order. I have already walked to Fisterre in ´10.

The Camino has provided me with everything I have needed and has taken away what I thought I needed.

I´m happy.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

:D Congratulations! A great feeling. Buen Camino!

Pieces said:
make sure you visit that choclate shop, especially as I didn't make it :cry:
What happened Pieces? Were you planning to go to Santiago this trip? Hope you weren't injured.

Buen Camino!

well, yes and no. Was flying out of SdC but only had 3 weeks so never meant to make it walking...

I only arrived late the night befor the morning my plane was leaving so no choclate for me :cry:

As for injury. I did walk for 17 days on a bad leg (my fysiotherapist now thinks I have a hip malfunction :shock: ) on day 14 i decided that if day 15 was as bad as the previous I would just stop walking and do something else. Day 15 was ok day 16 I had a stomach infection and day 17 I had a bad leg and a stomach infection and crawled to the nearest bar and had them call me a cab...

ended up spending 2 days in Leon catching up with a few people before heading to Santiago....

there was an acute lack of comfort choclate throughout :cry:

next year I figure machu picchu if its gotta hurt like that I may as well have the best view the world has to offer...

I'm sure you know a decent chocolatier where you are now. :D

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. I got a stomach bug on the way out to my Camino Ingles last year, which delayed my start by a day. The first day walking I felt awful, but fortunately gradually recovered. It's not nice.

Peru would be great! Paint a few yellow arrows as you go! :wink:

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back