• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

UK Camineers

• Thread starter Deleted member 61803
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 61803

Just be careful when making your plans. From 1st Jan 2021 you will probably need to ensure you have over six months left on your passport. We will need to adhere to the EU visiting rules which require this.
Also, though still not certain, our E111 health cards may cease to be valid, so keep an eye open for any changes in that respect . You may need to consider adding the purchase of medical insurance with repatriation as part of your forward planning.
We may also be limited to the number of days in any rolling period that we can actually stay in the whole of the EU.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Aye Jeff, I got a letter today from my car insurance company reminding me of the probable need for green cards ( last used circa 1974?) and international driving licenses if travelling off this little island. How many people actually know that or how to get them?

Strangely I wasn't thinking of driving to St Jean. However......

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Aye Jeff, I got a letter today from my car insurance company reminding me of the probable need for green cards ( last used circa 1974?) and international driving licenses if travelling off this little island. How many people actually know that or how to get them?

And different requirements for France and Spain - madness I tell you! Madness!

I wonder if we British will again need a bail bond to drive in Spain? Without it, if you'd had an accident, you were unlikely to be allowed to leave the country . . . now there's a thought ;)

Just be careful when making your plans. From 1st Jan 2021 you will probably need to ensure you have over six months left on your passport. We will need to adhere to the EU visiting rules which require this.
Also, though still not certain, our E111 health cards may cease to be valid, so keep an eye open for any changes in that respect . You may need to consider adding the purchase of medical insurance with repatriation as part of your forward planning.
We may also be limited to the number of days in any rolling period that we can actually stay in the whole of the EU.
It's not a question of "may" - alas - but will.

It's not a question of "may" - alas - but will.
Seemingly since these health rules applied before we joined the EU and they may actually keep them in place. Both we and the EU have reciprocal health care with many countries outside the EU.
We just don't know.

One thing for certain that people need to be aware of. Is that it is extremely difficult to get private health insurance that covers preexisting conditions at a reasonable price.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Seemingly
A small word of caution here. It's important to be clear about it. I would urge everyone from the UK to get travel insurance for healthcare for any stay in a EU country as of 1 January 2021. This is the current state of affairs:

UK nationals will not be able to access healthcare in the EU on the basis of EHIC as from the end of the transition period [= 31 December 2020].
Source: Notice on travelling between the EU and the United Kingdom after the end of the transition period, updated on 2 December 2020, issued by European Commission

Better safe than sorry!

Last edited:
International driver’s licenses are generally not legal instruments, rather they are a handy device for translation. Some countries require them, other’s are happy enough with your national license. As a Canadian, I’ve hired cars in France with only my Canadian driver’s license.

Good luck with the impending transition!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

One of my students today told me you got them from the Post Office. I haven’t verified....

Thanks Kathar1na, I missed that.

Proves how useful it is to share these planning thoughts.

I get overseas medical cover through my bank account. And lo and behold today I got an email describing the changes in cover, not too onerous, however they said that if I opted out from now on they would not permit the re-opting back in in the future, and that cover will no longer be available to any one who had not already opted in and would not be offered to new customers. Sad.

Yes there are two international drivers licenses which can be used depending on which countries signed whatever treaties both available at Post Offices.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is a tragedy for EU Remain/Camino Brits. So sad. However, I will return to my beloved Camino next year.

I guess it is the same for French passport holders who live in the UK?

Yes it appears to be residency rather than nationality. But if you find out differently let me know.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
But if you find out differently let me know.
There will be new rules/rights for EU nationals who live in the UK under the new ‘settlement status’ and their visits to EU countries and their health insurance cover. It is explained on the UK government’s website, see the link that I had posted earlier in this thread: Healthcare for UK nationals visiting Spain, last updated on 9 November 2020. Despite the title, the linked page has also information for non-UK nationals from the UK and visiting Spain.

Recent quote from the French minister for European Affairs: Whatever happens on Jan. 1 (ie last minute deal between EU and UK or ‘chaotic’ end of transition period) we will be in a different universe.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back