• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

UK Flights Chaos Jubilee Holiday week

Scarlet Fez

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2016, Portuguese 2017, Del Norde 2018
I was considering another spontaneous mini Camino on the CF by getting a last minute flight over to Bilbao between 9-14th of June and getting a bus/coach to Burgos and joining the route there. Good priced tickets but the airport chaos in the UK and mass cancellations of flights during this very busy Jubilee bank holiday/school holiday week I fear will have knock on affects into air traffic through out Europe in the weeks to come.

I'll be interested to hear if this has affected anyone else's plans. I know not a lot of Brits walk the Camino but the UK airport hubs will be used by Inter continental travellers.

I think I just need to hold my nerve and keep my powder dry and make the decision to travel as late as possible which I am in a fortunate position to do.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There are numerous cancellations, some at short notice - but it’s also a peak time for travel and there’s a backlog of demand because of the obvious.

I travelled out to Italy from Manchester airport very recently and, because of reports about significant disruption, went with hand baggage only having already paid an arm and a leg for checked bags. I arrived three hours early and sailed through security and passport control probably faster than ever before.

Good news doesn’t sell papers.

I’m flying to Santiago from Gatwick tomorrow to do walk to Fisterra and Muxia. So far nothing from EasyJet and I also guess that less busy routes are less affected. I read somewhere that airlines start cutting popular and busy routes first because there’s more chance they can reroute passengers on to other flights while if there’s only one flight a day they immediately have to pay for delays etc. fingers crossed it’ll go well.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m flying to Santiago from Gatwick tomorrow to do walk to Fisterra and Muxia. So far nothing from EasyJet and I also guess that less busy routes are less affected. I read somewhere that airlines start cutting popular and busy routes first because there’s more chance they can reroute passengers on to other flights while if there’s only one flight a day they immediately have to pay for delays etc. fingers crossed it’ll go well.
Im sure you will enjoy it. My profile photo is at the split where you make the choice which of the 2 you head to first. This was in 2016 after I had walked the whole of the CF.
Good luck with your flight.

IF your flight is cancelled then it will be reschedule, reroute or refund.

If it happens on the day, the the ground staff will explain your rights which may include compensation, food vouchers or even an overnight stay.

Based on a cancelled Easyjet flight earlier this year, here is the routine.

1 Download the app as this is the quickest way to get a refund or rescheduled.

2 Ask for the vouchers for food etc. Value will depend on length of delay.

3 If it involves an overnight stay then either accept their offer of a hotel or book your own. Keep the receipt and any receipt for meals. They will refund your hotel but not booze. Takes about a month for recompense.

4 if you are due compensation then use the app as the quickest way. Takes about a week.

5 Don’t get upset as ground staff are only doing a stressful job and they are there to help.

I found EasyJet’s compensation/rebooking system very straightforward. No need for drama. Just read the text they give you.

Makes your holiday less stressful if you know what to do if it goes wrong

IF your flight is cancelled then it will be reschedule, reroute or refund.

If it happens on the day, the the ground staff will explain your rights which may include compensation, food vouchers or even an overnight stay.

Based on a cancelled Easyjet flight earlier this year, here is the routine.

1 Download the app as this is the quickest way to get a refund or rescheduled.

2 Ask for the vouchers for food etc. Value will depend on length of delay.

3 If it involves an overnight stay then either accept their offer of a hotel or book your own. Keep the receipt and any receipt for meals. They will refund your hotel but not booze. Takes about a month for recompense.

4 if you are due compensation then use the app as the quickest way. Takes about a week.

5 Don’t get upset as ground staff are only doing a stressful job and they are there to help.

I found EasyJet’s compensation/rebooking system very straightforward. No need for drama. Just read the text they give you.

Makes your holiday less stressful if you know what to do if it goes wrong
Agreed. Airlines tends to have clear compensation packages. Most flights will be fine of course. Good news doesn’t sell. Airlines have schedules and they are very finely tuned and when there a snag things get tricky! Think demand has returned quicker than expected post covid and airlines are trying to meet that demand and that is tough give the resources needed. Peak weekends are always tough as airlines work on ‘normality’ and resoucing up at bank holidays, Xmas is alway challenging!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We flew out on the Easyjet flight from Gatwick to Santiago last Saturday. Despite my worries, everything was very smooth and on time. I suspect it's correct that it's much less lilely to be cancelled than a flight on a very touriaty route, where customers have other options in the event of a cancellation. Good luck!

I'm liking the positivity and good points being made. Bristol - Bilbao Easyjet only flies twice in midweek so glass half full.

Easyjet cancelled my flight to Biarritz two days ago. I rebooked myself on a costly Bordeaux flight…. with the added necessary expense of a hotel and train. I submitted my expenses to their website… we shall see if they reimburse it.

My two friends had their Paris to Biarritz flight cancelled also and needed to book a very expensive train ride instead.

I’m drinking a beer at Orisson right at this moment… so all the Easyjet pain is easily forgotten. 😂

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Easyjet cancelled my flight to Biarritz two days ago. I rebooked myself on a costly Bordeaux flight…. with the added necessary expense of a hotel and train. I submitted my expenses to their website… we shall see if they reimburse it.

My two friends had their Paris to Biarritz flight cancelled also and needed to book a very expensive train ride instead.

I’m drinking a beer at Orisson right at this moment… so all the Easyjet pain is easily forgotten. 😂
Hi Sara, following your post and yes its been making me smile.

Ive bitten the bullet and booked a flight to Bilbao on Thursday 9th. If that goes smoothly will get myself a bus over to Burgos on Friday and rejoin the CF and head west into the Meseta Saturday the 11th.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back