• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

UK to Portugal Ferry Route?

miguel_gp

Veteran Member
Mentioned on BBC News this morning.

Because of Portugal's place on the UK green travel list there are rumours that Brittany Ferries may introduce a service between Plymouth and Porto (Leixões) from as early as May 21st. Travel time will be somewhere between 24 and 30 hours.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That would be brilliant...a good rest on the overnight boat, then straight on the Camino...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That's great news, however it does not mention foot traffic, only with in car.
I am no expert by any means regarding this but I have taken a few ferries over the years especially between Ireland and Wales and England and the European mainland and there has always been a combination of both foot and vehicle riders.

I am no expert by any means regarding this but I have taken a few ferries over the years especially between Ireland and Wales and England and the European mainland and there has always been a combination of both foot and vehicle riders.

I don't know for definite but I had this problem in the middle of last year when I tried to advance book for Plymouth to Santander this Summer, they were not taking foot passengers, they changed that back but I was sufficiently wary to have a wait and see attitude before making a booking.

In 2013, we did an overnight ship crossing from Lisbon to Le Havre across the outer reaches of the Bay of Biscay/"edge" of the Atlantic. That was the worst night I have ever experienced. We were aboard a small 500-person + 350-crew, 600-700-foot ship that got tossed like a feather in a storm. The seas were such that the bow would break the surface and then crash down. I would rather fly direct or ferry directly across the Channel and train to Lisbon.
BC, Hugh

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have done the Santander journey twice both in Summer and the sea has been smooth, close friends would regularly cross to Roscoff and they had conditions like you had, not sure how I would feel about that, probably sick.

I don't know for definite but I had this problem in the middle of last year when I tried to advance book for Plymouth to Santander this Summer, they were not taking foot passengers, they changed that back but I was sufficiently wary to have a wait and see attitude before making a booking.
That’s why I am no expert hahaha

Mentioned on BBC News this morning.

Because of Portugal's place on the UK green travel list there are rumours that Brittany Ferries may introduce a service between Plymouth and Porto (Leixões) from as early as May 21st. Travel time will be somewhere between 24 and 30 hours.

Living close to Roscoff I have very often taken the ferry to Santander via Plymouth
and there was no restriction for foot passengers ,
Roscoff Bilbao is shorter of course to get to north of Spain but unfortunately doesn’t take foot passengers
It would be too bad for us pilgrims having a new line to Porto ...only for cars or trucks !!
During a few years there was a line Saint Nazaire Gijon , sometimes they speak of réactualising it !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My only ferry experience was highlighted by the fact that I could not book a sleeping accommodation. Thus I was trying my best to sleep on a padded bench in a lunge room full of noisy revelers.

Porto is obviously great for the Portugues route but also has regular bus connections and a less frequent but passable train connection to Santiago so could be a gateway to other Camino routes, not just the Portugues.

In 2013, we did an overnight ship crossing from Lisbon to Le Havre across the outer reaches of the Bay of Biscay/"edge" of the Atlantic. That was the worst night I have ever experienced. We were aboard a small 500-person + 350-crew, 600-700-foot ship that got tossed like a feather in a storm. The seas were such that the bow would break the surface and then crash down. I would rather fly direct or ferry directly across the Channel and train to Lisbon.
I gave you a "like" because I sympathise. April 2019, out of Coruña on the way to Le Havre, on a larger 2,100-person + 900-crew, 960-foot ship, when the wind started to "pick up", you could feel the rolling against the waves, restaurants remained largely empty and, as by magic, small plastic bags had been put in holders throughout the public spaces to be used in case of necessity. It wasn't too bad for me, and I was actually a bit thrilled that the Bay of Biscay delivered what I knew about this sea.

I guess ferries take the most direct route, so this potential Plymouth-Porto ferry will sail through those areas and will not sail as close to land as current ferries to Bilbao and Santander do.

Oh well, getting seasick on the way to Hispania will be a much more "authentic" and traditional pilgrimage experience.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I gave you a "like" because I sympathise. April 2019, out of Coruña on the way to Le Havre, on a larger 2,100-person + 900-crew, 960-foot ship, when the wind started to "pick up", you could feel the rolling against the waves, restaurants remained largely empty and, as by magic, small plastic bags had been put in holders throughout the public spaces to be used in case of necessity. It wasn't too bad for me, and I was actually a bit thrilled that the Bay of Biscay delivered what I knew about this sea.

I guess ferries take the most direct route, so this potential Plymouth-Porto ferry will sail through those areas and will not sail as close to land as current ferries to Bilbao and Santander do.

Oh well, getting seasick on the way to Hispania will be a much more "authentic" and traditional pilgrimage experience.
I worked as a stewardess on board the first ferry

i was a stewardess on board Brittany ferry the old ‘ Armorique ‘ in the 70’s sailing Roscoff-Cork-plymouth -Santander ! It was epic! Especially in the biscay bay of course !!
Poor passengers ..! The toughest ones were the Irish truck drivers who wouldn’t leave the bar all night playing cards and drink shandy beer and whisky!!!

i was a stewardess on board the old ferry Armorique from Brittany ferries , in the 70’s sailing Roscoff-Cork-Plymouth -Santander ... it was epic!! Especially in biscay bay of course! Poor passengers !
The toughest ones were the Irish truck drivers..staying all night in the bar playing cards and drinking shandy beer and whisky!!
There was no boat stabilisers..and ropes were attached everywhere in the corridors to grab when the ferry would slide from I e side to another !
I was never anymore seasick after that experience !!

I've done the Bay of Biscay twice now ands my advice is book a cabin close to the centre of the ferry in order to experience minimal movement, have a very light dinner, go to bed early and sleep through the worst. You might even feel like breakfast in the morning.

Oh yes, good quality motion sickness pills are wonderful these days

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Could I point out that, from the UK, this does not really help anyone wishing to walk any Camino to Santiago. Yes, we can currently go to Portugal but Santiago is in Spain as I recall!

I think that the idea is to travel to Piortugal (permitted by UK after May 17th) - walk or bus into Spain - return to Portugal and back to UK. The problem is that at present Portugal wont let UK citizens in!

I think that the idea is to travel to Piortugal (permitted by UK after May 17th) - walk or bus into Spain - return to Portugal and back to UK. The problem is that at present Portugal wont let UK citizens in!
I know what the intent is but that would actually be against the rules and current UK law.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I know what the intent is but that would actually be against the rules and current UK law.
To be more accurate, once Spain allows us to visit until the UK government change the rules we would have to isolate on our return. That is what people travelling to Portugal want to evade once Portugal allows us to visit

Yes and they won’t let french citizens either or from any other EU country if the rate of less than 150 Covid cases / 100000 is not maintained , it is wise

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.