Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

UK to Portugal- Pre flight PCR?

GailGwyn

Past OR future Camino
part Camino Frances (2013), Part Camino Norte (2014)Camino Frances (2019)Camino Portuguese (2020)
Hi everyone, please could someone tell me if I need a PCR test prior to boarding a UK flight to Portugal?

I can't seem to find any definitive information.

Thanks

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Corned Beef

Past OR future Camino

pie person

Past OR future Camino
Norte -ongoing
Yes, sorry, should have said - fully vaccinated.
We are just at the airport and yes you do need a negative covid test certificate - we did ours with randox - a home test you need the green travel pack although portugal is amber but if you are vaccinated you just need to do the 2 day test on teturn these are antigen tests but are acceptable on the government site ..did it sunday results yesterday flying today - was accepted at bag drop and ticked off - £92 for the green travel pack - hope that helps

GailGwyn

Past OR future Camino
part Camino Frances (2013), Part Camino Norte (2014)Camino Frances (2019)Camino Portuguese (2020)
We are just at the airport and yes you do need a negative covid test certificate - we did ours with randox - a home test you need the green travel pack although portugal is amber but if you are vaccinated you just need to do the 2 day test on teturn these are antigen tests but are acceptable on the government site ..did it sunday results yesterday flying today - was accepted at bag drop and ticked off - £92 for the green travel pack - hope that helps
Thank you. That's really helpful. I'll look at Randox. The test I have when I return home has to be done through a site approved by the Welsh Government (as I live in Wales)!

Bom Caminho!

Learn Spanish for the Camino
Enhance your Camino experience by learning about the Spanish language and culture.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Corned Beef

Past OR future Camino
From the UK's FCO site on entry requirements

If you have an EU digital COVID vaccination certificate, you do not need to have a COVID-19 test prior to travel. Be prepared to show a digital or paper copy of your certificate when you check-in for your flight and on arrival.

You can convert your UK NHS certificate to an EU digital COVID vaccination certificate, something that has become available recently. So the pre-flight PCR may not be needed so you might want to make further enquiries.

Confusing, isn't it.

GailGwyn

Past OR future Camino
From the UK's FCO site on entry requirements

You can convert your UK NHS certificate to an EU digital COVID vaccination certificate, something that has become available recently. So the pre-flight PCR may not be needed so you might want to make further enquiries.

Confusing, isn't it.
Yes, it is certainly confusing. I read the same information and that's why I thought I'd better ask on the forum if anyone else could make sense of it all 😂

domigee

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
if you’re from the UK, as far as I know (I was there two weeks ago), everything’s fine. As long as you have a proof of vaccination, no probs.
I am reluctant to offer any advice as everything seems to change from day to day!
But that was my experience , no need for tests 🙂
The airline will ask you before boarding to show proof of vaccination.
Now when you fly to Spain, you need to fill-in their ‘health form’. I don’t inow about Portugal as I got there by bus..

Last edited:

Corned Beef

Past OR future Camino
I am reluctant to offer any advice as everything seems to change from day to day!

The UK can change every 3 weeks. The next review/change is August 26th so the current published advice is only valid until then.

GailGwyn

Past OR future Camino
The UK can change every 3 weeks. The next review/change is August 26th so the current published advice is only valid until then.
I'll keep everything crossed then as I've just booked our flights!

Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Past OR future Camino
I plan to walk this year 2020 in September
Does anyone have any experience of getting PCR tests in Santiago which I will need to fly back to the UK. Are they easy to get and any cost info would be helpful

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Past OR future Camino
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
Does anyone have any experience of getting PCR tests in Santiago which I will need to fly back to the UK. Are they easy to get and any cost info would be helpful
Check it personally, but the PCR to return to the UK from Spain is currently a ‘recommendation’ not a legal requirement. Providing a lateral flow test meets the specificity criteria it’s still accepted.

This is the ‘Daily Express’ (sorry!) but it covers the salient points

Last edited:

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances