• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Travelling from UK to France and Spain: Covid testing requirements

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahonsk

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances in May 2020
Hi All, my head is spinning a bit 😬☹️
On 1st May, my Wife and I, as UK residents, are travelling from UK, through to France for two nights and then on to Ronsesvalles and beyond for however long it takes to get to SDC. I received my booster in mid November and my Wife will receive hers in three weeks. We have Covid passes and these are shown on the NHS App. So, as Brits travelling from a non European country into a European one and then, cross border into another one, does anybody have an idea if there are further testing requirements prior to entering France and Spain (PCR or LFT) and if yes, do these have to be done privately or will over the counter tests be ok? If there’s anything else I’ve missed re Covid testing etc I’d be grateful for your input please. Many thanks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On 1st May,
Nobody knows the requirements for travel from the UK to France, and from France to Spain in May 2022. Gov.uk is generally up to date and also updates quickly when something changes for travel from the UK to France. See https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/entry-requirements. The Eurostar website is also quick off the mark. Same probably for Eurotunnel but we've never checked or followed them.

Tests for travel (pre or post) between the UK and the EU in both directions means: a test where you get a code. Past experience says that simple self tests won't be ok, also not the NHS test. In general you need to get some kind of code that you need to enter into some kind of online form. (I'm keeping this vague on purpose. You need to check for your situation at the time of travel).

Jabbed and boostered? You are in an excellent position for travelling from the UK to France and from France to Spain. Buen Camino in May!

Last edited:
On 1st May, my Wife and I, as UK residents, are travelling from UK, through to France for two nights and then on to Ronsesvalles and beyond for however long it takes to get to SDC. I received my booster in mid November and my Wife will receive hers in three weeks. We have Covid passes and these are shown on the NHS App. So, as Brits travelling from a non European country into a European one and then, cross border into another one, does anybody have an idea if there are further testing requirements prior to entering France and Spain (PCR or LFT) and if yes, do these have to be done privately or will over the counter tests be ok? If there’s anything else I’ve missed re Covid testing etc I’d be grateful for your input please. Many thanks.
As Kathar1na has said no one will know what the rules will be nearer the 1st May. The UK government website is one to keep your eye on from time to time and so too is this link. It is the French Government website and updates to show its rules for entry to France from the UK. You will have to remember that merely because you can leave the UK after being fully vaccinated does not necessarily mean that you can enter another country without having to satisfy their rules.
As of now, I am to understand that although you can leave the UK without any restrictions, you have to present a Negative PCR Test of less than 24 hours to the French authorities on entry. There is no longer a need to isolate on arrival, however, a test may be conducted on arrival and a Positive result will require isolation.
A few months ago I travelled to France and only had to prove being fully vaccinated. Fortunately, that was merely a matter of showing my NHS Scotland App with its compatible EU QR Codes. (NHS England has a similar App that can store your compatible QR Codes.) I did, however, need to arrange a 2 day PCR test before my return to the UK.
With regards travelling onwards to Spain this link will be useful to keep an eye on.
The whole situation is still in a state of flux and the rules are regularly changing. It all sounds very complicated and stressful but I would not be unduly worried as I would think that by the 1st May many of the travel restrictions will have been lifted throughout Europe. Just concentrate on your Camino preparations.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As Kathar1na has said no one will know what the rules will be nearer the 1st May. The UK government website is one to keep your eye on from time to time and so too is this link. It is the French Government website and updates to show its rules for entry to France from the UK. You will have to remember that merely because you can leave the UK after being fully vaccinated does not necessarily mean that you can enter another country without having to satisfy their rules.
As of now, I am to understand that although you can leave the UK without any restrictions, you have to present a Negative PCR Test of less than 24 hours to the French authorities on entry. There is no longer a need to isolate on arrival, however, a test may be conducted on arrival and a Positive result will require isolation.
A few months ago I travelled to France and only had to prove being fully vaccinated. Fortunately, that was merely a matter of showing my NHS Scotland App with its compatible EU QR Codes. (NHS England has a similar App that can store your compatible QR Codes.) I did, however, need to arrange a 2 day PCR test before my return to the UK.
With regards travelling onwards to Spain this link will be useful to keep an eye on.
The whole situation is still in a state of flux and the rules are regularly changing. It all sounds very complicated and stressful but I would not be unduly worried as I would think that by the 1st May many of the travel restrictions will have been lifted throughout Europe. Just concentrate on your Camino preparations.
Thank you. Yes, fingers crossed that things will quieten down over the coming weeks. Fortunately, PCR tests are no longer required for re-entry to the UK.

If you haven't booked your tickets you could remove half the potential problems by taking the Brittany ferry direct from Plymouth or Portsmouth to Spain - Santander ... fast and cheap buses (they are actually luxurious coaches) on to Bilbao (only 90 minutes) then many fast buses down to Pamplona - and there is a daily bus from Pamplona bus station to Roncesvalles. (There is a ferry to Bilbao but not for foot passengers).
It is the way I go to Camino and is relaxed and easy - and you get a 24 hrs boat cruise! - and is not expensive.

Last edited:
If you haven't booked your tickets you could remove half the potential problems by taking the Brittany ferry direct from Plymouth or Portsmouth to Spain - Santander ... fast and cheap buses (they are actually luxurious coaches) on to Bilbao (only 90 minutes) then many fast buses down to Pamplona - and there is a daily bus from Pamplona bus station to Roncesvalles. (There is a ferry to Bilbao for not for foot passengers).
It is the way I go to Camino and is relaxed and easy - and you get a 24 hrs boat cruise! - and is not expensive.
Thanks, but Eurostar is booked, two night stay in Paris is booked as are two nights in SJPP lol. We’ll just go with the flow. Of course it will be different in 12 weeks as well.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Chill … you got your vax and boosters. That puts you ahead of the pack. Get a French QR code by submitting vax info into their portal. Then walk into Spain and just let the Camino do the rest. The Camino provides.

Chill … you got your vax and boosters. That puts you ahead of the pack. Get a French QR code by submitting vax info into their portal. Then walk into Spain and just let the Camino do the rest. The Camino provides.
I think I needed that. Thanks 😁

Portal ?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a French QR code by submitting vax info into their portal.
As others have pointed out earlier in other threads: This option and the portal does not exist anymore.

The only option for foreign tourists to submit vaccination info and get it converted into a French QR: Pharmacies in France who provide this service against payment, around €30. But not every pharmacy does it.

Tourists from the UK do not need to request a conversion of their digital proof of vaccination as it is recognised by France (and every other EU country).

They have a dedicated COVID app. TousAntiCovid which you can download and scan your vax pass.
Ah, thanks. I already have the digital NHS App with info and dates about my vacation and booster. So I should just be able to show them that QR code probably. Thank you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you! I just tried to download my NHS code on the French app and seems to have worked though I may be getting it totally wrong and sorry if I have added to any confusion!

As others have pointed out earlier in other threads: This option and the portal does not exist anymore.

The only option for foreign tourists to submit vaccination info and get it converted into a French QR: Pharmacies in France who provide this service against payment, around €30. But not every pharmacy does it.

Tourists from the UK do not need to request a conversion of their digital proof of vaccination as it is recognised by France (and every other EU country).
Thank you. We all know it will have changed anyway, by the time May comes, don’t we lol.

Thank you. We all know it will have changed anyway, by the time May comes, don’t we lol.
True. Although the digital vaccination passports, both in the EU and perhaps in the UK, will still exist in May 2022. We just don't know yet how (when, where, for what) they will be used. ☺️

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm doing the same in March and I think, currently, going by the French Government website, I need to have my NHS vaccine passport thing and an antigen test to enter France, and nothing additional to walk into Spain. Research seems to indicate that an antigen test could be PCR or Lateral Flow for travel to France but I'm still trying to work that out.

Certainly no testing requirement to
enter Spain when travelling from UK as a UK
citizen!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm doing the same in March and I think, currently, going by the French Government website, I need to have my NHS vaccine passport thing and an antigen test to enter France, and nothing additional to walk into Spain. Research seems to indicate that an antigen test could be PCR or Lateral Flow for travel to France but I'm still trying to work that out.
Thank you. Yes, the advice on the relevant websites don’t really seem to be entirely clear to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back