• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ukrainian flag colors on VdlP guide markers?

Fuertebrazos

Time of past OR future Camino
Most of the little concrete posts along the Andalusian parts of the VldP, in addition to an arrow pointing the way, have a yellow and blue rectangle on the front. Those are the colors of the Ukrainian flag.

When I first saw these, I thought "Isn't it great that Spain is showing solidarity with the Ukrainian fighters?"

But then, realistically, I thought that the war hasn't been going on that long, so the logistics of changing the markers would be challenging. And expensive. And why show solidarity by pasting colors along a route that has nothing to do with the conflict?

Maybe those colors have always been there, or maybe they don't have anything to do with Ukraine. Can someone enlighten me?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The colour scheme predates the Ukraine war. Just a coincidence. I walked the VdlP for the second time early this year. The yellow and blue markers are for two different local trails which happen to overlap for a long section. I can't recall exactly what they signify. There are places where they diverge and you will find the yellow and blue flashes separately.

The yellow and blue markers are for two different local trails which happen to overlap for a long section. I can't recall exactly what they signify.
This?
(Click to enlarge)
Hilo Via de la Plata.jpg
Funnily enough, the website identifies the colours as amarillo and verde, i.e. yellow and green. To me it does look more like blue or turquoise.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
maybe they don't have anything to do with Ukraine.
Yes. Blue and yellow have been widely used for Camino signs on many routes, for years. Look at the forum logo, for example.

Just the right height to use as a comfy seat where there was no other seat for miles!
Heading off topic here, but yes, one's standard of suitable seats must be flexible on the VDLP. I remember a few years ago, a question from a nursing mother who wanted to walk the VDLP with her partner and baby only a few months old. She felt that since the baby was still exclusively breastfed, they wouldn't have the hassles of getting appropriate food. I didn't want to be a naysayer, but had to tell her that it might be difficult to find places to sit every few hours, especially on rainy days!

Funnily enough, the website identifies the colours as amarillo and verde, i.e. yellow and green. To me it does look more like blue or turquoise.
The distinction between 'blue' and 'green' isn't always very clear cut. I live in Wales and in Welsh grass is usually described as being 'glas' which in more general usage means blue!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi @Fuertebrazos - I could be recalling incorrectly but I think one of my VDLP guidebooks indicated that the yellow and what looked to be a more turquoise colour on the concrete block is a marker that the pilgrim is on a Roman road.

Here’s an example - I took this photo on the very long Roman road to Torremejia.

54C3FFB0-385D-41E4-8A7B-F456748D0250.jpeg

Cheers from Oz -

Jenny

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @Fuertebrazos - I could be recalling incorrectly but I think one of my VDLP guidebooks indicated that the yellow and what looked to be a more turquoise colour on the concrete block is a marker that the pilgrim is on a Roman road.

Here’s an example - I took this photo on the very long Roman road to Torremejia.

View attachment 136473

Cheers from Oz -

Jenny
I read a sign somewhere on the route that explained (in Spanish) that the yellow indicates the Camino de Santiago and the blue indicates the Roman road. The two together and you are on both!

The distinction between 'blue' and 'green' isn't always very clear cut. I live in Wales and in Welsh grass is usually described as being 'glas' which in more general usage means blue!
In Ireland and our Irish language, 'glas' translates to green. 😉

In Ireland and our Irish language, 'glas' translates to green. 😉
I am not a Welsh speaker but my wife is quite fluent in the language. From what I can gather in modern Welsh 'glas' is normally blue and green is usually translated as 'gwyrdd'. But historically the distinction between the two was not so clear cut and 'glas' was used to describe the greens found in nature such as leaves and grass but also the colour of the sky. Very confusing!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Most of the little concrete posts along the Andalusian parts of the VldP, in addition to an arrow pointing the way, have a yellow and blue rectangle on the front. Those are the colors of the Ukrainian flag.

When I first saw these, I thought "Isn't it great that Spain is showing solidarity with the Ukrainian fighters?"

But then, realistically, I thought that the war hasn't been going on that long, so the logistics of changing the markers would be challenging. And expensive. And why show solidarity by pasting colors along a route that has nothing to do with the conflict?

Maybe those colors have always been there, or maybe they don't have anything to do with Ukraine. Can someone enlighten me?

I eventually discovered that the blue/turquoise indicates the Roman Via and the yellow indicates that the route is open. So sometimes you get both and sometimes one or the other.

Attachments

• 4E879D3F-C1CB-4223-A185-DF3AA2554CD5.jpeg
    4E879D3F-C1CB-4223-A185-DF3AA2554CD5.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13

View attachment 136473

Cheers from Oz -

Jenny
That's right. The yellow are the Camino and the blue/green are the original Roman Via de la Plata - they occasionally diverge and join up again. Seems like a long time since I walked that Extremadura section

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back