• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ukulele training

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We have donated ukuleles in Salamanca, Ribadiso da Baixo and at Pilgrim House in Santiago. Bring an extra and donate somewhere. Maybe other could leave their favorite instrument. P.S The Ukulele originated in Portugal.
Thank you for the one left at the Pilgrim House - a pleasant surprise when I dropped in back in 2018.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Depending on where you plan to play and for whom, you could do worse than learning "Cielito Lindo" and "Las Mañanitas". Lots of tabs on the internet, you can choose up to your ability. Everybody knows Cielto Lindo for a sing-along and it'll always be someone's birthday somewhere. Decent language practice, too, if you learn all the verses. By the way, you don't "juego" (jugar) the uke, you "toco" (tocar) the uke. Make friends, entertain people and maybe make a few euros!

Depending on where you plan to play and for whom, you could do worse than learning "Cielito Lindo" and "Las Mañanitas". Lots of tabs on the internet, you can choose up to your ability. Everybody knows Cielto Lindo for a sing-along and it'll always be someone's birthday somewhere. Decent language practice, too, if you learn all the verses. By the way, you don't "juego" (jugar) the uke, you "toco" (tocar) the uke. Make friends, entertain people and maybe make a few euros!
Yes, I play Cielito Lindo and Volver, volver, which are very popular where I live.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What type of ukulele and what type of case will you be carrying? For example, one of Jim Beloff's Fluke or Flea types in a gig bag are pretty bulletproof. A Kamaka pineapple model in a chipboard case, much less so.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have a hand built wooden ukulele and I'm open to case ideas.

Depending on how much you care about keeping the uke in good shape, either a soft or hard case is a good bet. A gig bag is not going to protect against the abuse that being tied to the outside of your pack will cause (this will probably be the best way to carry it as it will eat up lots of space on the inside). As an example, check these out (right click to open the link in a new tab/page)

upgraded-ukulele-cases

Nothing will be waterproof, but that's easily solved by placing the case in the bottom of a clean garbage bag, rolling it like a burrito, folding the open edge of the bag like an envelope and taping it down with duct or packing tape. You can also make "straps" with the tape to use to tie the bag to your pack. You might get several uses out of this waterproof method if you're careful not to tear the bag when you open it up. BTW, take your own tape and bags, availability on these could be sketchy. Don't let whatever case you buy get wet, they never, ever dry right and expose the instrument to way too much humidity.

Don't worry about getting a too large case, you'll need room for music, extra strings, a pick and strap if you use one and you'll have extra room for whatever doesn't fit well in your pack (use socks, etc. to pad the uke in the case). Depending you your airline, you might be able to take the uke/case as an uncounted carry on bag since it is a musical instrument. Ask first, though, and if you do have to check it, use the waterproofing method, lots of padding all around and labels everywhere with your itinerary and contact information (Joe Smith / DFW-MAD / AA 36 / 01-01-21 / email address / (111) 123-4567) plus what the luggage check attendant will put on. That way it'll at least end up at your final location or get re-routed back to your origin if it gets lost and you can pick it up at some later time..

Granted, not the easiest logistics to deal with and, honestly, it'll probably take some knocks, but it's better than carrying a double bass. I take an harmonica these days. Good luck, play and sing lots.

[Edited to remove email address, even though fictional]

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have a hand built wooden ukulele and I'm open to case ideas.
I went the other way and looked for a ukulele to take camping with me and survive rather than a case to protect my sopranos or tenor ukes.
I went for a "beginner's" Makala Dolphin. I don't hike with it but it goes on camping trips thrown in the back of my van.
Yes it's cheap, yes it has a resin body but has a good tone and sustain and it's as tough as old boots and holds a lot of memories. I'd be genuinely upset if it did get damaged but, do you know what? It still doesn't have a decent travel bag!

My uncle gave me a ukulele for my 13th birthday in 1956 and I taught myself to play over some years. About 15 years ago a ukulele group was formed in my town and I joined up. The group grew to 52 players and we were in great demand for events around the area and we always toured the old folks homes and retirement villages at Xmas. Over the years my uke has been responsible for many friendships and good fun. I contemplated taking it with me on Camino in 2016 but decided against it because of the room deeded to transport it and the likely-hood of damage. As luck would have it, while having a drink at the bar in La Faba, a pilgrim arrived with a red soprano uke tied to the back of his pack. For the next hour and a half the road intersection between the bar and the shop was full of pilgrims and a few locals singing and dancing as George (the uke owner) and I took turns playing and singing (in my case very badly). A lot of fun can be had with a ukulele. Unfortunately last year I damaged my left had and after surgery I was left with only proper use of my thumb and next two fingers but I still am able to play music with simple cords. If I ever get to walk another Camino, I will make an effort to take my uke with me for the fun it creates.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back