• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ultimate Camino Scarf

Time of past OR future Camino
I've heard several folks mention this topic, so I thought I'd suggest this scarf (Shemagh). I've worn it in many countries and it has worked great. The Shemagh scarf is a cheap, lightweight asset for your camino and can be purchased anywhere.

The Shemagh serves many purposes. Here are a few I used it for on the Camino:

-Towel (it dries quickly)
-Scarf (for those early mornings)
-Sun protection (for those hot camino days)
-Dipping the shemagh in cool water and wrapping your neck is a great way to cool down
-Wrapping some clothes in the shemagh at night makes a good camino pillow
-Winding your shemagh through wet shoes/sandals and dangling them from your backpack to dry
-Headwrap to keep warm, or to keep the sun off your head and eyes

I hope this helps! I love this scarf!!! I would like to hear from anyone about other uses for this scarf.

Buen Camino!

Attachments

• Camino de Santiago 2012 139.jpg
    Camino de Santiago 2012 139.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello,

Thanks for that but some of us already have " THE " ULTIMATE SCARF and it is simply THE BUFF CAMINO SCARF many thanks to LTfit. But I could still think of many other uses for your scarf, some almost bordering on the fatal. But I'm sure many readers will tell you what you can do with it, the mind boggles.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've heard several folks mention this topic, so I thought I'd suggest this scarf (Shemagh). I've worn it in many countries and it has worked great. The Shemagh scarf is a cheap, lightweight asset for your camino and can be purchased anywhere.

The Shemagh serves many purposes. Here are a few I used it for on the Camino:

-Towel (it dries quickly)
-Scarf (for those early mornings)
-Sun protection (for those hot camino days)
-Dipping the shemagh in cool water and wrapping your neck is a great way to cool down
-Wrapping some clothes in the shemagh at night makes a good camino pillow
-Winding your shemagh through wet shoes/sandals and dangling them from your backpack to dry
-Headwrap to keep warm, or to keep the sun off your head and eyes

I hope this helps! I love this scarf!!! I would like to hear from anyone about other uses for this scarf.

Buen Camino!

Thank you so much. I think that there are many of us who are new to this experience and appreciate any advice that can facilitate our journey. I have been using a small bandana for my training and have found that is essential for my trip. Your scarf is it! Thanks again.

Took mine last year, and ended up not using it, since that it wasn't so cold has that, and my fleece had a upper neck piece.

This year, I've changed it for a Buff. It's pretty much lighter, and can do almost the same has the shemagh.

Don't get me wrong, I still use my 2 shemagh's, mostly on bushcraft activities.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't know exactly when something is a shemagh and when not.
One of these silky things which you can buy on any market of chinese shop for a few euro's was perfect for me. That can be shemagh too? As you mentioned, they have a multi multi purpose.
A few things more:
you can
- sleep on it when your bed feels dirty
- make a kind of skirt from it when you feel your legs start to get a sunburn in the end of the day without really changing clothes
- put easily around you when going to a shower
- use it to give you some privacy in a bed when you feel like

I am very interested in this scarf that weighs only 4 oz. Odem, can it be used as a skirt? Also, there are several vendors selling the scarf...is one better than the others.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One of these silky things which you can buy on any market of chinese shop for a few euro's was perfect for me. That can be shemagh too? As you mentioned, they have a multi multi purpose.
A few things more:
you can
- sleep on it when your bed feels dirty
- make a kind of skirt from it when you feel your legs start to get a sunburn in the end of the day without really changing clothes
- put easily around you when going to a shower
- use it to give you some privacy in a bed when you feel like

Wow Thomas, those are some more good suggestions. I actually did use it to cover myself going to the shower (LoL) but thought I wouldn't mention it :) Additionally, I used it in the Middle East for dust storms. Thanks for the great input!

I am very interested in this scarf that weighs only 4 oz. Odem, can it be used as a skirt? Also, there are several vendors selling the scarf...is one better than the others.

This scarf is about $5 on Amazon, but you can probably find it locally for just as cheap. Because it is very light, it dries quickly!

Attachments

• Egypt Shemagh.png
    Egypt Shemagh.png
    469.6 KB · Views: 89
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Indeed... I have been using a large scarf (pareo) similar to this for many purposes on the camino since 2005.
1. head scarf
2. pillow case
3. towel
4. wrap coming out of shower
5. skirt
6. additional warm layer in sleeping bag
7. screen when dressing

I have been using my shemagh since last summer, and it is coming with me. It is like the Swiss Army knife of scarves. It also works quite well in warm weather as a head covering, especially if dampened down.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes to all above uses, borrowed a "sarong",scarf,big sheet of cheesecloth type material from my daughter, it does not register on the scales it is so light now from use, you can also probably see through it now too! (OoW). I wore it over my head as a sun screen in 2011 heat wave, used it at end of bed hanging as privacy,as a sheet, skirt, etc etc. And as my towel.

I have been using my shemagh since last summer, and it is coming with me. It is like the Swiss Army knife of scarves. It also works quite well in warm weather as a head covering, especially if dampened down.
Hola elmonty totally agree it was brilliant for the sun last year in June the breeze just catches the edges and diverts cool air onto the face. One problem though, a pilgrim mate from South america saw me one day wearing it against the sunas he was sitting in a bar he raised his glass and called out "over here bin laden" my mate yes!;)

Last edited:
Yes to all above uses, borrowed a "sarong",scarf,big sheet of cheesecloth type material from my daughter, it does not register on the scales it is so light now from use, you can also probably see through it now too! (OoW). I wore it over my head as a sun screen in 2011 heat wave, used it at end of bed hanging as privacy,as a sheet, skirt, etc etc. And as my towel.

Unadara, great blog spot BTW! Thanks for the link. Hey, I never really thought of the Shemagh being so thin that it's probably see-through! I might have to make my trips to the show VERY quickly!
Although, I have found that because of the lightweight material, the shemagh dries quickly!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola elmonty totally agree it was brilliant for the sun last year in June the breeze just catches the edges and diverts cool air onto the face. One problem though, a pilgrim mate from South america saw me one day wearing it against the sunas he was sitting in a bar he raised his glass and called out "over here bin laden" my mate yes!;)

Emonty and Pilgrim B, that's a GREAT idea with the shemagh....kind of a mini-air-conditioner in the heat. Your mate may have poked some fun at your shemagh, but I guarantee he wished he had one too, and probably bought one as soon as he could! I think one more purpose is, "just plain looks good"...LoL

Thanks for the replies!

One of these silky things which you can buy on any market of chinese shop for a few euro's was perfect for me. That can be shemagh too?

A true shemagh is usually cotton or flax in Arab states or cotton and wool mix in colder Palestine.

There is only one manufacturer left, the cheap Chinese copies have killed the industry (and, if you ask me, the quality). I hate buying Chinese copies of authentic goods.

If you are going to buy one then pay a bit extra and buy a real Hirbawi keffiyeh. Hirbawi is the last maker in Palestine and needs the support. There are a few online retailers in Europe that sell Hirbawi keffiyehs, they are more expensive than the Chinese versions but noticeably better quality and goes to support a dying traditional industry.

A "real" shemagh/keffiyeh is a lovely and very tactile object that will last for years. They are a connection to a very long tradition. Chinese copies are cheap and functional but have become very damaging long term.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Google the Kufiya Project. I'm typing on my phone so pasting links is a pain. I think it is www.kufiya.org

There are sellers on ebay but you've no guarantee they are authentic.

Update to this post, just came back from El Camino, awesome experience, I am a retired soldier and did my camito in a minimalistic way, the shemagh or kaffiyah is a must have for those who prefer to experience it in a true minimalistic back to basics way, you understand why the shemagh/kaffiyah has been use for millenniums all around the word (I was apprehensive of its versatility until I found myself in the middle of nowhere in the iraqui desert, then I realized why Is so popular amongst those who know, because it works- is a hat, hood, scarf, towel, cooling compress, sun shade, dust cover, etc.etc.etc...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Update to this post, just came back from El Camino, awesome experience, I am a retired soldier and did my camito in a minimalistic way, the shemagh or kaffiyah is a must have for those who prefer to experience it in a true minimalistic back to basics way, you understand why the shemagh/kaffiyah has been use for millenniums all around the word (I was apprehensive of its versatility until I found myself in the middle of nowhere in the iraqui desert, then I realized why Is so popular amongst those who know, because it works- is a hat, hood, scarf, towel, cooling compress, sun shade, dust cover, etc.etc.etc...

I'm preparing for my third Camino and each trip I go with less "stuff". I'm looking forward to traveling light. One thing that I will absolutely have (even if it's the ONLY item I bring-LoL) is my Shemagh.

Middle East, Orient, Australia, Central America, Africa...the Shemagh has been my BFF.

Thanks for the update!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.