• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ultra light obsession

GAUVINS

Time of past OR future Camino
Amiens-Santiago de Compostela
I’ve left home a little after noon. Walked to the airport. In the “truest” possible tradition of pilgrimages, I started from where I live and plan to walk something like 2,300 kms. (I have to attend to a couple of things, but will return to, and resume at the end of the month, out of Paris airport).

I am, at last, almost free of the ultra light obsession. In preparing for this, I’ve learned about cuben and exquisite things made of titanium. Minimized my base weight and my wallet at the same time. Now that I no longer feel the urge to google ultralight [some gear], I want to share a few things that I have learned and may not be totally obvious when you start thinking about “less is better”.

I see two major and philosophically different driving forces. One emphasizes “fewer and simpler things”. Walking the camino is an occasion to focus on what really matters. And things do not. The other is pragmatic and underscores the fact that unless I rely on a luggage transfer service, everything I am going to use will travel with me, on my shoulders. Both motives make sense, but as always, there are trade-offs.

Cutting to the chase, here are my metrics.

10,869 grams: Total Out of Skin (i.e. the pile of stuff I start with, naked)
-1,457 grams: Worn

9,412 grams: Packed (i.e. on my shoulders)
-3,376 grams: Consumables (i.e. things that will not be there forever. Like fuel and food)

6,036 grams: Base weight (i.e. what will be carried all the way)

To put these numbers in perspective, Backpacking Light (2001) compares the weight carried by traditional/light/ultra-light backpackers. Those loads were 24.8/17.3/10kg respectively. The base weights were 14.5/9.13/4.13kg. Another arguably useful benchmark is 16kg (35 pounds) – this is the weight that US postal workers are required to be able to carry on a daily basis. I was happy to see that I’ll carry significantly less than a regulation postal worker, and even marginally less than an ultra light backpacker. But to be honest, less would be better.

upload_2015-5-16_15-41-56.png

Now with the list of “systems”, inspired by Jo Jo’s excellent post. Items in bold are counted in the base weight. Items in blue are consumables.

1. Sleeping (1,494g). The lightest system is hostels/albergues all the way. But costs do add up. I am looking at 100+ nights, 65/35 France/Spain. I would peg the average cost of French accommodations at 35 euros per night, 10 in Spain, for a total of 2,625 euros, vs 500 for a mixture of bivouacs and campgrounds. Bivouacs provide more flexibility (no reservation, no set stages), less anxiety (will there be places left, pre-dawn bed runs) and intimacy (dorms can be quite something). Would not change a thing to the following.

a. 123g: Silk liner. So I will not have to wash my sleeping bag.
b. 216g: Sleeping pad. Inflatable. Rolls to the size of a soda can. Makes it possible to stow in the backpack, protected from rain.
c. 427g: Sleeping bag. Down. Stuffed in a dry bag, stowed in a water resistant compartment of my backpack.
d. 728g: 2-person tent. Uses trekking poles. Latched to the backpack where you’d normally expect to see a rolled pad. Makes it possible to make/break camp in a downpour as the tent goes up/or down with the backpack protected by its rain cover.

2. Cooking (1,020g). Same logic. Eating in restaurants would probably average 25 euros a day, vs about 8 euros a day relying on supermarkets. That means potential savings of 1,700 euros. In addition, self-reliance means a hot coffee first thing in the morning and a tea at night. Not so clear wrt dinner, though – restaurants have their advantages. We’ll see…

a. 128g: Kettle .65L. Titanium
b. 62g: Solid fuel stove. I love this system. A single 4g fuel tablet is enough to heat a cup of water to a near boil.
c. 480g: One month worth of solid fuel
d.
32g: Storage container. A repurposed small can of Kusmi tea. Fuel comes in sealed packs of 20x4g tablets. Tablets tend to crumble over time if left in the original box.
e. 14g: Mixing container. An old pillbox used to mix water and powdered milk. Prevents lumps in the coffee... (Actually, a vigorous shaking and the coffee looks like a true latte)
f. 5g: Tea sock. Cotton. To make infusions.
g. 17g: Folding spoon. Titanium. Sure sign that someone got ultralight crazy. Rationalized by the fact that the folded spoon will fit inside the kettle for storage, while a cheap plastic won’t.
h. 12g: Folding fork. Same (ir)rationale.
i. 43g: Swiss army knife “waiter”. A blade, a corkscrew and a bottle and can opener.
j. 16g: Sponge. Scrubber.
k. 16g: Disposable Towel. Viscose, similar to a J-cloth but packed as ridiculously small pellets hard as wood. Worth it just for the show.
l. 5g: Stuff sack. Made to fit the kettle, which holds everything in a minuscule volume.
m. 190g: Water reservoir and tube. If I had known that hands-free tubes could fit bottles, I would have opted for that system instead. Hopefully, not too much regret in store.
n. 12g: Mini Bic lighter. Forgot to include it in the original post. I'll update totals next Fall :)

3. Food (2,417g). The plan is to always pack three full meals or more (In France, nothing is open on Sundays).

a. 60g: Tea. Probably a month supply.
b. 170g: Coffee. Starbucks VIA singles. Probably twice as much packaging as coffee, but I see no other decent alternative. Should last about a month.
c. 272g: Powdered milk. To put in the coffee. Might last the whole trip. Stored in a tin can.
d. 300g: Trail mix. Ex: Almonds and raisins. Stored in a tin can at night to protect from our small fury friends, portions carried in stuff sack during the day.
e. 600g: Various food items. Adding up to 3+ meals. (Breakfast, lunch and dinner). I'll have to ask how the locals deal with bears :)
f. 15g: Dry bag. An additional barrier to keep the smell to a minimum.
g. 1,000g: Water. Will see how things go. 500ml is probably more than enough.

4. Clothing (2,563g). Run of the mill multi-layered system. Difficult choice between a light fleece (350g) vs two long sleeve Ts. I ended carrying a merino and a tech LST.

a. 240g: Three underwear. Black polyester boxer briefs if you want to know.
b. 40g: Two pairs of low cut socks. I’d bet one pair is enough.
c. 294g: Two short sleeve Ts. Base or single layer, depending on what feels right.
d. 200g: Long sleeve mid layer. A zippered T of waffle-like fabric. Extremely effective.
e. 198g: Long sleeve merino. Love it.
f. 270g: Long sleeve white linen shirt. To wear when it gets hot and sunny. Protects from the sun. Natural fibre dries very quickly, so wash every night. Wear in Spain, were modest dress is the norm. Wear in Spain, to protect from the sun. Wear most of the time, weather permitting, because I don’t want to give the impression that this is a sporting event. Impression on me as well as on others. May be superficial, maybe not.
g. 205g: Hiking shorts. One pair. Dries very very fast. Double as swimming trunk.
h. 287g: Long pants. Recycled polyester “yoga pants”.
i. 10g: Two stuff sacks. One for base layer, one for mid layer items.
j. 380g: Sandals. In my experience, better than trail runners or light approach shoes. Sandals can be infinitely adjusted. Dry immediately. Weight nothing. Offer limited protection and there is often that little rock or this straw that annoys for a second. Shake it out.
k. 32g: Buff. Looks cool. Feels even cooler.
l. 82g: Hat. Like a baseball cap with a removable curtain that covers the back of the head, from ear to ear. Hideous/hilarious :)
m. 180g: Rain jacket. I don’t like the way it feels, but it does what it is supposed to do and is remarkably compact.
n. 145g: Rain pants. Wouldn’t be surprised if they spend the whole trip in a crevice at the bottom of the backpack. Took them at the last minute. I remembered saying “never again [will I be caught without rain pants]”. That was in a large city, last Fall where I’ve been drenched in a cold deluge. I have better pants, but they weight twice as much. I know of lighter ones (70g) but the shopping spree has to stop.

5. Health (720g)

a. 107g: First aid kit. I haven’t really looked at what is in there. Bandages I suppose. Probably no axial tomography however. Living on the edge.
b. 131g: Prescription drugs
c. 35g: Two disposable towels.See above.
d. 17g: Sponge
e. 70g: 5 Action wipes. For when there is no shower but I positively need one. More wipes would probably have been a welcome luxury.
f. 38g: Toilet paper. Made for the trail…
g. 11g: Small Plastic bottle. With flip cap. Dilute some concentrated liquid soap and use as a dispenser.
h. 51g: Razor and 2 additional blades. Shaving… probably twice a week. I have to figure.
i. 16g: Scissors. Folding. Plastic handles. I’ll buy a better pair.
j. 90g: Shampoo.
k. 28g: Toothpaste.
l. 19g: Toothbrush. Folding.
m. 86g: Liquid soap. Concentrated. A backpacker's standard.
n. 16g: Solid sunscreen. Won’t use much. I prefer physical barriers (e.g. clothing) and avoiding sun 12h-16h.
o. 5g: Stuff sack

6. Electronics (
778g)

a. 71g: GPS Watch. A triathlon watch purchased on a day where Amazon pricing module went crazy and offered me a 60% discount. Nothing to do with Compostela -- I was getting into distance running and wanted to train based on various metrics. Discovered fortuitously that the watch can be used to navigate a course. Tried in unfamiliar cities (ex: walking to a meeting, running a course in a distant park, etc.). FANTASTIC! Provides directions, pace (useful if you want to maintain speed), distance from start and end points, and much more if so desired, including time of day :) Even today, on a terrain I should be familiar with, GPS guidance prevented mistakes.
b. 296g: 7-inch tablet. I must remain somewhat connected. Work. I played with the idea of carrying an ultra light laptop (e.g. MacBook Air) but it made no sense. The tablet can do quite a lot. And the remote desktop application will save the day if need be. Holds several books that I’ll not find the time to read, I suppose. Or maybe I will…
c. 197g: Smartphone. More a backup for the tablet than anything else.
d. 126g: Powerpack. Close to 6000 mAmp I believe.
e. 63g: Wall USB charger. 3.1A output, 2 USB outlets for fast charge
f. 9g: ANT+ dongle. Required to push additional courses to the watch.
g. 16g: Drybag. Electronics are sensitive to water.

7. Miscellaneous (582g)

a. 18g: 6 Carabiners. At 3g each, I prefer carabineers to clothespins or safety pins. One secures my wallet to my pants (no money belt). Others are used in a variety of situations
b. 209g: Umbrella. For the rain. And the sun.
c. 255g: Trekking poles. Made me smile prior to considering Compostela. After reading about poles, became a reluctant convert. After using, agree that they are useful in many situations especially hilly, rocky or wet trails. They will also be used as tent poles.
d. 100g: Papers. Passport, credit cards, driver’s licence, paper money.

8. Packing (1300g+). Things are organized in smallish stuff sacks. (1) Base layer clothing + shorts; (2) mid layer clothing; (3) toiletries; (4) cookware; (5) food; (6) trash; (7) just in case. Another stuff sack is used to store trail mix. And two passport-size sacks to store cards and currency in different locations.

It makes things easy to find and the backpack easy to empty/load. It all fits in a 36L backpack with room to spare. To some extent, I regret having purchased this specific model more than six months ago. I find myself lucky to end up almost exactly where this backpack shines in terms of load and volume, but it may also be a case of self-fulfilling prophecy. Starting with a backpack and working our way in seems to be an unavoidable error, because the backpack symbolizes the walk.

---

So, that's it for my list and rationale. Will eventually comment on what has worked beyond/under expectations.

---

Preparing for Santiago de Compostela has been… how to put it… more challenging than I thought. In a good way, I think. Discovering that the simple act of walking from A to B becomes fundamentally different when B is months away.

This forum, this website, is an extraordinary source of information. Ivar is doing a heck of a job. Thanks.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You are embarking on a long pilgrimage 2300km! I can see that you have enjoyed the preparation and seem to have thought of everything.
I would love to see the list of what remains in your pack at the end of the journey.
I found that I needed to carry more that 500ml water as I wanted to remain hydrated to ward off cramps and headaches. I guess you will need to have extra water for your tea at the end of the day? I love the thought of having a hot cup of tea in a tent at night!
Where did you set off from?

I’ve left home a little after noon. Walked to the airport. In the “truest” possible tradition of pilgrimages, I started from where I live and plan to walk something like 2,300 kms. (I have to attend to a couple of things, but will return to, and resume at the end of the month, out of Paris airport).

I am, at last, almost free of the ultra light obsession. In preparing for this, I’ve learned about cuben and exquisite things made of titanium. Minimized my base weight and my wallet at the same time. Now that I no longer feel the urge to google ultralight [some gear], I want to share a few things that I have learned and may not be totally obvious when you start thinking about “less is better”.

I see two major and philosophically different driving forces. One emphasizes “fewer and simpler things”. Walking the camino is an occasion to focus on what really matters. And things do not. The other is pragmatic and underscores the fact that unless I rely on a luggage transfer service, everything I am going to use will travel with me, on my shoulders. Both motives make sense, but as always, there are trade-offs.

-3,376 grams: Consumables (i.e. things that will not be there forever. Like fuel and food)

To put these numbers in perspective, Backpacking Light (2001) compares the weight carried by traditional/light/ultra-light backpackers. Those loads were 24.8/17.3/10kg respectively. The base weights were 14.5/9.13/4.13kg. Another arguably useful benchmark is 16kg (35 pounds) – this is the weight that US postal workers are required to be able to carry on a daily basis. I was happy to see that I’ll carry significantly less than a regulation postal worker, and even marginally less than an ultra light backpacker. But to be honest, less would be better.

View attachment 18562

Now with the list of “systems”, inspired by Jo Jo’s excellent post. Items in bold are counted in the base weight. Items in blue are consumables.

1. Sleeping (1,494g). The lightest system is hostels/albergues all the way. But costs do add up. I am looking at 100+ nights, 65/35 France/Spain. I would peg the average cost of French accommodations at 35 euros per night, 10 in Spain, for a total of 2,625 euros, vs 500 for a mixture of bivouacs and campgrounds. Bivouacs provide more flexibility (no reservation, no set stages), less anxiety (will there be places left, pre-dawn bed runs) and intimacy (dorms can be quite something). Would not change a thing to the following.

b. 216g: Sleeping pad. Inflatable. Rolls to the size of a soda can. Makes it possible to stow in the backpack, protected from rain.
c. 427g: Sleeping bag. Down. Stuffed in a dry bag, stowed in a water resistant compartment of my backpack.
d. 728g: 2-person tent. Uses trekking poles. Latched to the backpack where you’d normally expect to see a rolled pad. Makes it possible to make/break camp in a downpour as the tent goes up/or down with the backpack protected by its rain cover.

2. Cooking (1,020g). Same logic. Eating in restaurants would probably average 25 euros a day, vs about 8 euros a day relying on supermarkets. That means potential savings of 1,700 euros. In addition, self-reliance means a hot coffee first thing in the morning and a tea at night. Not so clear wrt dinner, though – restaurants have their advantages. We’ll see…

b. 62g: Solid fuel stove. I love this system. A single 4g fuel tablet is enough to heat a cup of water to a near boil.
d.
32g: Storage container. A repurposed small can of Kusmi tea. Fuel comes in sealed packs of 20x4g tablets. Tablets tend to crumble over time if left in the original box.
e. 14g: Mixing container. An old pillbox used to mix water and powdered milk. Prevents lumps in the coffee... (Actually, a vigorous shaking and the coffee looks like a true latte)
g. 17g: Folding spoon. Titanium. Sure sign that someone got ultralight crazy. Rationalized by the fact that the folded spoon will fit inside the kettle for storage, while a cheap plastic won’t.
i. 43g: Swiss army knife “waiter”. A blade, a corkscrew and a bottle and can opener.
k. 16g: Disposable Towel. Viscose, similar to a J-cloth but packed as ridiculously small pellets hard as wood. Worth it just for the show.
l. 5g: Stuff sack. Made to fit the kettle, which holds everything in a minuscule volume.
m. 190g: Water reservoir and tube. If I had known that hands-free tubes could fit bottles, I would have opted for that system instead. Hopefully, not too much regret in store.

3. Food (2,417g). The plan is to always pack three full meals or more (In France, nothing is open on Sundays).

b. 170g: Coffee. Starbucks VIA singles. Probably twice as much packaging as coffee, but I see no other decent alternative. Should last about a month.
c. 272g: Powdered milk. To put in the coffee. Might last the whole trip. Stored in a tin can.
d. 300g: Trail mix. Ex: Almonds and raisins. Stored in a tin can at night to protect from our small fury friends, portions carried in stuff sack during the day.
e. 600g: Various food items. Adding up to 3+ meals. (Breakfast, lunch and dinner). I'll have to ask how the locals deal with bears :)

4. Clothing (2,563g). Run of the mill multi-layered system. Difficult choice between a light fleece (350g) vs two long sleeve Ts. I ended carrying a merino and a tech LST.

c. 294g: Two short sleeve Ts. Base or single layer, depending on what feels right.
d. 200g: Long sleeve mid layer. A zippered T of waffle-like fabric. Extremely effective.
f. 270g: Long sleeve white linen shirt. To wear when it gets hot and sunny. Protects from the sun. Natural fibre dries very quickly, so wash every night. Wear in Spain, were modest dress is the norm. Wear in Spain, to protect from the sun. Wear most of the time, weather permitting, because I don’t want to give the impression that this is a sporting event. Impression on me as well as on others. May be superficial, maybe not.
g. 205g: Hiking shorts. One pair. Dries very very fast. Double as swimming trunk.
j. 380g: Sandals. In my experience, better than trail runners or light approach shoes. Sandals can be infinitely adjusted. Dry immediately. Weight nothing. Offer limited protection and there is often that little rock or this straw that annoys for a second. Shake it out.
l. 82g: Hat. Like a baseball cap with a removable curtain that covers the back of the head, from ear to ear. Hideous/hilarious :)
m. 180g: Rain jacket. I don’t like the way it feels, but it does what it is supposed to do and is remarkably compact.
n. 145g: Rain pants. Wouldn’t be surprised if they spend the whole trip in a crevice at the bottom of the backpack. Took them at the last minute. I remembered saying “never again [will I be caught without rain pants]”. That was in a large city, last Fall where I’ve been drenched in a cold deluge. I have better pants, but they weight twice as much. I know of lighter ones (70g) but the shopping spree has to stop.

5. Health (720g)

a. 107g: First aid kit. I haven’t really looked at what is in there. Bandages I suppose. Probably no axial tomography however. Living on the edge.
e. 70g: 5 Action wipes. For when there is no shower but I positively need one. More wipes would probably have been a welcome luxury.
g. 11g: Small Plastic bottle. With flip cap. Dilute some concentrated liquid soap and use as a dispenser.
h. 51g: Razor and 2 additional blades. Shaving… probably twice a week. I have to figure.
n. 16g: Solid sunscreen. Won’t use much. I prefer physical barriers (e.g. clothing) and avoiding sun 12h-16h.

6. Electronics (
778g)

a. 71g: GPS Watch. A triathlon watch purchased on a day where Amazon pricing module went crazy and offered me a 60% discount. Nothing to do with Compostela -- I was getting into distance running and wanted to train based on various metrics. Discovered fortuitously that the watch can be used to navigate a course. Tried in unfamiliar cities (ex: walking to a meeting, running a course in a distant park, etc.). FANTASTIC! Provides directions, pace (useful if you want to maintain speed), distance from start and end points, and much more if so desired, including time of day :) Even today, on a terrain I should be familiar with, GPS guidance prevented mistakes.
b. 296g: 7-inch tablet. I must remain somewhat connected. Work. I played with the idea of carrying an ultra light laptop (e.g. MacBook Air) but it made no sense. The tablet can do quite a lot. And the remote desktop application will save the day if need be. Holds several books that I’ll not find the time to read, I suppose. Or maybe I will…

7. Miscellaneous (582g)

a. 18g: 6 Carabiners. At 3g each, I prefer carabineers to clothespins or safety pins. One secures my wallet to my pants (no money belt). Others are used in a variety of situations
c. 255g: Trekking poles. Made me smile prior to considering Compostela. After reading about poles, became a reluctant convert. After using, agree that they are useful in many situations especially hilly, rocky or wet trails. They will also be used as tent poles.

8. Packing (1300g+). Things are organized in smallish stuff sacks. (1) Base layer clothing + shorts; (2) mid layer clothing; (3) toiletries; (4) cookware; (5) food; (6) trash; (7) just in case. Another stuff sack is used to store trail mix. And two passport-size sacks to store cards and currency in different locations.

It makes things easy to find and the backpack easy to empty/load. It all fits in a 36L backpack with room to spare. To some extent, I regret having purchased this specific model more than six months ago. I find myself lucky to end up almost exactly where this backpack shines in terms of load and volume, but it may also be a case of self-fulfilling prophecy. Starting with a backpack and working our way in seems to be an unavoidable error, because the backpack symbolizes the walk.

---

So, that's it for my list and rationale. Will eventually comment on what has worked beyond/under expectations.

---

Preparing for Santiago de Compostela has been… how to put it… more challenging than I thought. In a good way, I think. Discovering that the simple act of walking from A to B becomes fundamentally different when B is months away.

This forum, this website, is an extraordinary source of information. Ivar is doing a heck of a job. Thanks.

Also, how long do you think the journey will take you to complete?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This is one of t

View attachment 18562

d.

5. Health (720g)

6. Electronics (
778g)

7. Miscellaneous (582g)

---

---

The best post I have seen on what and what not to carry. THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU! I hope you have the most wonderful journey and you have definitely left me with so much information with which to prepare...again THANKYOU! I really love Canadians... not that I don't love all the rest of you but this warms my heart...lol.

Last edited:
I love the thought of having a hot cup of tea in a tent at night!
I do too. Pity there is no cup in the packing list to drink it from, nor any matches or a lighter to light the solid fuel stove. There will probably be some other things added to the list as it matures and is tested in use:)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I like the way you consciously weigh up cost vs comfort in your lightweight efforts, such as how much it would cost to stay in private accommodation vs buying a probably not cheap tent (I'm dying to know what 2p tent weighs that little!), that's how I've learnt to do it too. I do have problems with my shoulders and over the years I have researched, invested and tested my way to a very good packing list for my needs which weighs less than 6 kgs. If going camping I can rejig the list and end up with only about a kilo more. I have found that sometimes cheap isn't worth it, and sometimes those extra grammes are worth carrying for the sake of saving enough money to stay in a hotel a couple of nights. Really enjoyed your post - and I am on the verge of buying a very lightweight tent so it was food for thought! Please let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
Have you thought about the Nordisk Telemark 2 person tent, it is 1.03kg, 2 skined tent, which after my experience with a 1 skin tent on my 1st Camino is quite important. There is a place in the UK which sells it cheaper than most places, if you look closely at their website they give 20% discount for BMC ( British Mountain) members, a tent which sells for around £400 goes down to £260 including 1 year membership. I had a look at one of these tents recently, if you and your walking partner aren't super big then there is more than enough space in them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but @mikevasey why was a single skin tent so bad? Too cold? Condensation? I am looking for a bug/mesh tent with fly, they are very lightweight and keep the mozzies and other insects out as well as the wind and rain. Using trekking poles to set it up also saves weight without skimping on function - but the 1p tent I am looking at weighs the same as the OPs 2p tent ... very curious to know which make and model that is!

What I found with a single skin tent is that the build up of condensation was leading to chest problems. I spent 3 nights in my single skin recently, everything starts too become damp and it doesn't feel great, also if you have a down sleeping bag it could affect it.

If you want to use your trekking poles then think about a tarp style tent, some good ones out there around a kilo and you can alter them to fit the locations you are stopping at. A one man tent sounds OK, but when you get into it in the afternoon or evening to read a book, relax etc then the extra space of a 2 man just feels better, it there is no weight difference then go for a 2.

+ with tarp style tents I have seen them with the bug protectors which you can sit/ lay in.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

View attachment 18562

d.

5. Health (720g)

6. Electronics (
778g)

7. Miscellaneous (582g)

---

---

What kind of sleeping bag is so light? I have been searching for a light bag that is not a mummy

You're going well -prepared! :cool: I carried the same camping equipment as you except my tent was a bit heavier (900g) and my sleeping-bag a bit lighter. Worked wonders.
Well done for taking cooking equipment, in France not only are places closed on Sundays (also sometimes Mondays in the countryside) but I found that shops or cafes are few and far between! Cafes have closed down and the small shops replaced by out-of-town hypermarkets. (Usually out of your way, too)
For that same reason and if the weather's hot, you're likely to need more than 500 ml water. One tip is that tap water in the French cemetaries is always drinking water, so you can refill your bottle there. :)
I took 2 changes of socks but I had to buy more on the way as it rained a lot (last Summer) and they took a long time to dry.
Have a wonderful camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Pity there is no cup in the packing list to drink it from, nor any matches or a lighter to light the solid fuel stove.

wrt the lighter, thanks for pointing this out. It's on my shopping list. I'd removed it from my backpack under the wrong impression that it could not be carried on plane and forgot to put it on the list. I'll edit the post.

wrt the cup, that's another story. The MSR Titan has wired handles so you can use it as a mug or eat from as if it were a bowl. Not perfect because it acts as a huge heat sink and your tea/coffee/meal gets cold in a matter of minutes. More importantly, perhaps, it makes it impractical to cook rice.

Some people like to use a pot cozy (an insulated shell that adds weight and bulk). Plastic, resin, alternative material all have their drawbacks so I thought I'd stick with cold tea. Now, have you heard of the Seppou mug? I'll let you google it. Obscenely expensive but excellent reviews. I've ordered it. It may of may not arrive in time to make the trip. Worst case, I'll have to survive on cold tea and mashed potatoes :)

What kind of sleeping bag is so light? I have been searching for a light bag that is not a mummy

Try Zpacks. This is where I purchased bag, shelter, stuff sacks and a few other accessories. Note that the bag I use IS a mummy. However they also offer quilts. If my memory serves me well, they suggest to use quilts if you sleep with someone else.

(I consciously refrained from linking to specific brands, in part to let you experience the pleasure of discovering, and to not look as if I were endorsing a brand or claiming superiority.)

wrt the lighter, thanks for pointing this out. It's on my shopping list. I'd removed it from my backpack under the wrong impression that it could not be carried on plane and forgot to put it on the list. I'll edit the post.

wrt the cup, that's another story. The MSR Titan has wired handles so you can use it as a mug or eat from as if it were a bowl. Not perfect because it acts as a huge heat sink and your tea/coffee/meal gets cold in a matter of minutes. More importantly, perhaps, it makes it impractical to cook rice.

Some people like to use a pot cozy (an insulated shell that adds weight and bulk). Plastic, resin, alternative material all have their drawbacks so I thought I'd stick with cold tea. Now, have you heard of the Seppou mug? I'll let you google it. Obscenely expensive but excellent reviews. I've ordered it. It may of may not arrive in time to make the trip. Worst case, I'll have to survive on cold tea and mashed potatoes :)
A lighter or matches are easy enough to buy on arrival. The hexamine tablets might also be a banned item for air carriage. It is a Division 4.1 dangerous good.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The hexamine tablets might also be a banned item for air carriage. It is a Division 4.1 dangerous good.

Oh absolutely. They have been ordered online and shipped to a friend. Add the cost of a dinner :)

Just wanted to say that hexamine (Esbit to be more specific) does it for me. 500g/month of fuel and next to nothing for the stove. Liquid alcohol is easier to find but almost certainly requires much more fuel (usually 50 grams per use... Or a syringe and frankly I don't see how 4g of alcohol would work out.)

Interestingly enough, deciding on a stove has been the single most complex issue.

Just wanted to say that hexamine (Esbit to be more specific) does it for me. 500g/month of fuel and next to nothing for the stove. Liquid alcohol is easier to find but almost certainly requires much more fuel (usually 50 grams per use... Or a syringe and frankly I don't see how 4g of alcohol would work out.)

Interestingly enough, deciding on a stove has been the single most complex issue.
I went through this some years ago. In a past life, I used hexamine regularly and know both the benefits and pitfalls. Esbit seem to have added something else, perhaps to make it burn a little more cleanly. Hexamine by itself certainly has some nasty combustion by-products, and will leave a nasty residue on the bottom of your cooking equipment.

So far as I can tell, it doesn't have a much greater heat value by weight compared to alcohol, perhaps in the order of 15%, but it is about half the volume. I know that when I looked at this, I chose the Trangia, and haven't regretted that so far. It will be interesting to see if your consumption estimates are realistic. I guess that it will depend on how much you plan to use your stove. Certainly it would be far less than I would plan to carry if I were doing a multi-day bushwalk.

As an aside, I was a bit surprised that you were suggesting storing fuel tablets in a 'A repurposed small can of Kusmi tea.' Here in Australia it has been illegal to store any poisonous substance in old food containers for so many years that I had forgotten this might not be so everywhere. Even if it is not a practice that is banned, I wonder about the wisdom of using an old food container for your fuel if you are going to eventually be travelling with your children.

Even if it is not a practice that is banned, I wonder about the wisdom of using an old food container for your fuel if you are going to eventually be travelling with your children.

Certainly not wise but illegal? Not just kids. Enough adults have gotten poisoned by drinking out of "water" bottles that held anything but water.

Certainly not wise but illegal?

Interesting question. Will try to find some kind of answer. For now :

1) there's real danger when carrying liquid fuel (in an aluminum bottle).

2) there are countless jars (pickles, jam, peanut butter, yogurt) that have been used to store paint brushes in (lethal) turpentine. I would be very surprised if that practice were illegal. Even in the land of Oz.

3) Esbit tablets shouldn't be part of your daily diet, but are not lethal. Even in their original packaging they might be mistaken for a sugar cube. I've affixed a monster sticker anyways, but more for fun than fear.

4) too bad I've left home. Painting the can would have been a great way to spend a rainy day with the kids.

728g for a 2 person tent is excellent! May I ask you what model it is? Thanks and Buen Camino! SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Simple enough. I set clothes, shell coat, raincoat, 2 buffs, gloves, toiletries and towel, wet wipes, emergency medical stuff, phone charger, silk bag liner, sandals - all in backpack = 4k. Documents, money, phone and diary in combat pockets. Hat on head, sticks in hand, smile on face.
PS two empty 600ml water bottles in side pockets.
4k does not include water or any food.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Let me chime in for zpacks. We have their packs and jackets and they are remarkable. Great little company.

I like the way you consciously weigh up cost vs comfort in your lightweight efforts, such as how much it would cost to stay in private accommodation vs buying a probably not cheap tent (I'm dying to know what 2p tent weighs that little!), that's how I've learnt to do it too. I do have problems with my shoulders and over the years I have researched, invested and tested my way to a very good packing list for my needs which weighs less than 6 kgs. If going camping I can rejig the list and end up with only about a kilo more. I have found that sometimes cheap isn't worth it, and sometimes those extra grammes are worth carrying for the sake of saving enough money to stay in a hotel a couple of nights. Really enjoyed your post - and I am on the verge of buying a very lightweight tent so it was food for thought! Please let us know how you get on.

Please tell me if you did Find a Light weight Tent, i've see some tents on the internet but reluctant to buy because i would rather walk in to a shop and buy direct after checking the weight.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.