• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ultra-Light Rectangle Sleeping Bag

D

DavidsRetired

I’ve struggled with choosing the right sleeping bag for the Camino. As I find the Mummy design very restrictive, I chose a 2-pound (907-gram), rectangle sleeping bag on my first Camino in April 2013.

On my Camino this past April 2014, I said screw-it and brought a 550-gram Mummy design. However, the mummy style drove me crazy, so since my return I’ve been casually looking for a lightweight rectangle option.
I found, purchased ($39.95 Cdn) and received the following bag this morning.

http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/products/55-Sleeping-Bags/465074-North-49-MICRA-LITE-RECTANGULAR-SLEEPING-BAGS/

At 660-grams, I am extremely happy to finally have found a lightweight rectangle sleeping bag for my next Camino!

Anyway, thought I would post the link, in case anyone else was looking for a similar and very reasonably priced option.

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I SO hear you on those mummy bags. I gave my trusty mummy bag to my partner, and purchased a backpacking quilt.

I am a side sleeper who ends up feeling pretty claustrophobic in sleeping bags, and I never got the "hang" of treating a mummy bag like clothing. The quilt is perfect for me, and I can still use a sleeping sheet if I need more warmth. Plus, no zippers to scratch my legs on!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’ve struggled with choosing the right sleeping for the Camino. As I find the Mummy design very restrictive, I chose a 2-pound (907-gram), rectangle sleeping bag on my first Camino in April 2013.

On my Camino this past April 2014, I said screw-it and brought a 550-gram Mummy design. However, the mummy style drove me crazy, so since my return I’ve been casually looking for a lightweight rectangle option.

http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/products/55-Sleeping-Bags/465074-North-49-MICRA-LITE-RECTANGULAR-SLEEPING-BAGS/

At 660-grams, I am extremely happy to finally have found a lightweight rectangle sleeping bag for my next Camino!

Anyway, thought I would post the link, in case anyone else was looking for a similar and very reasonably priced option.

Cheers,
Dave

I can't tell the size when it is stuffed! :) I bought one similar and it's great, but this looks like it might be thinner/lighter. ? The price is right and I found the first time that I needed something additional a couple of nights, but only twice! don't want to carry anything too heavy. Even a space blanket would have worked on those two chilly nights.
Thanks for the link

Looks g
I’ve struggled with choosing the right sleeping for the Camino. As I find the Mummy design very restrictive, I chose a 2-pound (907-gram), rectangle sleeping bag on my first Camino in April 2013.

Cheers,
Dave
Looks good but wish bag was in at least 72".

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last year in september i took a 600 gram down sleepinbag which was way to warm. Unfortunately i found just a liner often too cold.

Now i bought a very lightweight (310 gr) down quilt from Enlightened equiptment. In a few days i am putting it to the camino test. Cant wait. :)

I SO hear you on those mummy bags. I gave my trusty mummy bag to my partner, and purchased a backpacking quilt.

I am a side sleeper who ends up feeling pretty claustrophobic in sleeping bags, and I never got the "hang" of treating a mummy bag like clothing. The quilt is perfect for me, and I can still use a sleeping sheet if I need more warmth. Plus, no zippers to scratch my legs on!

Last year in september i took a 600 gram down sleepinbag which was way to warm. Unfortunately i found just a liner often too cold.

Now i bought a very lightweight (310 gr) down quilt from Enlightened equiptment. In a few days i am putting it to the camino test. Cant wait. :)

What brands and where do you buy these quilts? I've got a down liner that is light and opens out flat but last Camino I got a bit cold. As my husband needs new sleeping equipment I have been looking for a small super-light down hiking quilt to take but can't find one online. Ordinary quilts (with cotton covers) weigh too much and are far too big.

I've just looked at Enlightened equipment. They look fabulous, and I love the weight! Very expensive however. Wish one of our Australian manufacturers made them. In down we only seem to have sleeping bags or the bags/quilts made to use with sleeping pads - I just want something really simple.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've just looked at Enlightened equipment. They look fabulous, and I love the weight! Very expensive however. Wish one of our Australian manufacturers made them. In down we only seem to have sleeping bags or the bags/quilts made to use with sleeping pads - I just want something really simple.

Yes, they look awesome and they feel fantastic as well. I too found it to be very expensive, but you can even ask them to customize it if you want. Also the dollar/euro conversion is pretty good.
I got them to make an almost invisible zippered pocket in it. A great place to keep my phone and wallet at night.
They ship international. Delivery time was about 3-4 weeks. The look and feel is great and the weight is more super, now i hope it will be just as great when i use 'm. I have no doubts :)
I love the fact that it can be a sleeping bag, but also almost a full size blanket. My other bag is a mummy and sometimes i found it i bit restricted.

Last edited:
I really like the Canadian lightweight rectangle. I've used mummy bags for ever, but I believe a rectangle would be best for me, because I end up opening the bottom for additional wiggle room.

Although the price is nearly double the bag offered by DRet, I like this one from North Face:
http://www.rei.com/product/828230/the-north-face-dolomite-2s-sleeping-bag/

It comes in a regular 72 in/183 cm. and a long at 78 in/198 cm.

Cheers,
Dave

I am seriously considering purchasing this bag-- can you tell us how big/small it is when it's in the compression stuff sac? Or any chance you could post a photo with something alongside it? I know that may be a tall order ;-)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Kanga, I purchased a lightly-used Enlightened Equipment Enigma on BackpackingLight's "Gear Swap." It's a great place to find both gear and information on ultralight options. There is even a forum on making your own equipment, should you have the inclination to be craftsy.

Since I backpack around the state (and plan to attempt a thru-hike of the Pacific Crest Trail in the next few years) spending a bit extra on something I'll use more comfortably makes sense. However, I can certainly understand why you'd NOT want to plunk down that much money on something you might only need for six weeks. :)

I'm hoping there will be something in Australia similar to the Enlightened before my next Camino. If not, I've book-marked the website. Can't justify spending any more money when I don't even have a date yet!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Cheers,
Dave

I used this one from Mountain Equipment Co-op (Canada), on my last 2 caminos and it was great.
http://www.mec.ca/product/5025-521/mec-equatorial-sleeping-bag-1522c/?No=40&h=10 50049 50130&f=10 50049 50130
Great finds...

I think either of those may work for my early May thru to June on the Camino Frances? Would you think I'd still need a silk liner?
~Cari

Great finds...

I think either of those may work for my early May thru to June on the Camino Frances? Would you think I'd still need a silk liner?
~Cari

Hi Cari ~ I think it would work very well for your camino. I don't think a liner is necessary with this bag. It's lightweight and I found it very comfortable. Noticed that you're in Vancouver. I purchased this bag at the MEC on Broadway if you want to take a closer look at it.

Cheers,
Dave
My wife has the same problem with mummy bags. We have rectangular "Mountain Hardware" 600 fill down, 72", they are called 'Down Flip' with one side down they are rated 35deg/1deg C, and with the other side down they are rated 50degs/10 C, they stuff very small into bags, and two fit easily in the sleeping bag compartment of my backpack. They are very light weight. I don't remember the cost. We have been very happy with them, this will be our third year on the camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Cari ~ I think it would work very well for your camino. I don't think a liner is necessary with this bag. It's lightweight and I found it very comfortable. Noticed that you're in Vancouver. I purchased this bag at the MEC on Broadway if you want to take a closer look at it.
I'll be going there tomorrow anyways to get gear for my son... I'll take a look. Did you treat your bag against bedbugs ? That was the whole purpose of me getting a silk liner

I also hated the restriction of a mummy bag. This year I purchased a Mont Bell spiral down thermal sheet weighing 430 grams. The new bag completely unzips to be used as a quilt and packs down into a tiny compression sack. The fabric of the new bag is cut on the bias (hence the name ‘spiral’) and so allows for more movement and stretching than a traditional straight cut bag. It has a two way zip so I could leave the bottom open for free movement of my feet, bit I mostly used it with my silk liner as a blanket. It doesn't have a hood which is great as far as I am concerned.

It was my biggest single expense and I was not disappointed. It would not be warm enough for me during the colder seasons, but during May it was perfect.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That one looks great, Magwood. Price vs weight is not bad at all. I like the quilt option. Big +

Maybe thats a good one for @Kanga when dates are set :)

The actually size when compressed is 9.5 inches long (25cm) and 5-inches(12.7cm) in diameter. Pictures attached.

Attachments

• 2014-08-30 05.50.53.jpg
    2014-08-30 05.50.53.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
  • 2014-08-30 05.52.35.jpg
    2014-08-30 05.52.35.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Cari T. i have one of the rectangle ultra lite sleeping bags made by Montbell. I always use my silk sleep sack (sky Mall) to cover the bed and pillow. I unzip the rectangle bag and use it like a blanket. It stuffs very small. Light weight. Perfect. I did spray my silk sleep sac with the permethrin and let it dry well in the sun. It's approved for spraying on vegetables (not than that fact makes it totally safe) so I felt comfortable using it.

Cheers,
Dave

Perhaps after your camino you could let us know how this bag worked for you. I am planning on buy a new bag...just sold my -30C mummy bag so have a budget for one.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I really like the rectangle option. I have always used a mummy bag and, lightweight or not, it's not comfortable unless I'm under a pine tree in the Kirkenes area of Norway.
The price is right DRet., but I need a longer bag than 72in/183cm, therefore I like the North Face bag that is a bit longer 78in/198cm.
It's good to 40(F)/5(C). Here's the link:

http://www.rei.com/product/828230/the-north-face-dolomite-2s-sleeping-bag/

Thanks,

Arn

That looks perfect. My wife and I used these -- http://www.rei.com/product/870764/rei-travel-sack-sleeping-bag -- but your rectangular design would have been much better. Maybe next time...

I HATE the idea of being enclosed in a mummy sleeping bag (far too claustrophobic for me!!!), so am looking for something else: a quilt, a rectangle bag, a ..... However the prices of the quilts and the Montbell rectangluar bag are rather astronomical.
I see that the Naturehike Camping Sleeping Bag is not only rectangular and reasonably light (700 gms) but it's also only around 30 USD!!!
Meanwhile, I look at the Naturehike Outdoor Travel Quilt which is roughly the same price (in fact about 5 USD cheaper) and is only 350 gms!!!
I'm intending to travel in September/ October. Given that most albergues would have blankets and I have the option of wearing my clothes in bed for extra warmth if necessary (something that I have to do here in Pakistan in the winter with the frequent power cuts!!!), it would appear that just the travel quilt would suffice?
Any comments from experienced Camino-ists?
Regards
Suzanne :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Cari said:
"...Would you think I'd still need a silk liner?"
Hi Cari - Another almost Vancouverite here - the main reason for a silk liner IMO is so you can take it out and wash it. Sleeping in the same sleeping bag for several weeks can be totally gross - even though you've just had a shower:eek:

Cheers,
Dave

While this looks good, and is a good price and weight, it seems like more of a liner than a sleeping bag?
Its temperature rating is 10 deg C, which is 50 deg F (not 14 deg F like the web page claims).

Here is what I use, and love, for anyone interested - it is a sub-$70, rectangular bag, full zip (to a blanket), with a hood and roll-away mosquito netting, and antibacterial fabric. It is extra long (86 inches), but compresses down really small, and weighs under 780 g. It has a temp rating of 36-45 deg F. Probably qualifies as a summer bag, but I push it to nearly 3-season by sleeping in base layers when necessary.

Snugpak Jungle Bag:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O1PKGO/?tag=casaivar02-20

Last edited:
Cari said:
"...Would you think I'd still need a silk liner?"
Hi Cari - Another almost Vancouverite here - the main reason for a silk liner IMO is so you can take it out and wash it. Sleeping in the same sleeping bag for several weeks can be totally gross - even though you've just had a shower:eek:
Hi Cecelia ! I agree with the 'totally gross' part. I'm trying to avoid the whole sleeping bag scenario entirely... but I have 7 months to decide :) .. almost Vancouverite ?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Put me in the 'loathe mummy bags' camp!
My lightweight is the TravelPak Jungle Bag made by Snugpak, who supply equipment to our military (UK) but also sell to the public. It opens out completely so can be used as a quilt and also incorporates a zipped mosquito net - think bedbug net! Very cheap too at £39.95 - http://www.snugpak.com/military/jungle-bag

Here is a Youtube review, if you tighten those compression straps it snugs down to smaller than a coconut and weighs 850 gms (1.8 lbs) -

Oh, seems @DavidsRetired is gone :-( Hope he is okay! My brother was a Marine and I know far too well the struggles they go through.

For a summer hike I really REALLY love the alpine down hugger.
It is unbelievable ultra-light, especially for the warmth is gives, and because of the down filling it packs down really small.
It's stretchy so you never feel claustrophobic even when zipped up, and the lining is comfortable against your skin. You can also use it as a regular quilt for when it's too hot to zip up.

The only downside is the price; You do have to fork over an arm and a leg for such a small lightweight item.
After four years of heavy use it is still going strong with no real signs of wear. If I need a new summer bag I would buy this one and never look back.

Last edited:
I bought an ultralight 600 gram mummy bag to bring on my Camino, it does feel a bit claustrophobic. Last fall I picked up a down throw at Costco for $29, its quite light and warm. I am tempted to take that instead but I am a little worried about bed bugs. Would a sleeping bag offer more protection? Here is a link to the down throw, I see they have them at Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015D47MVW/?tag=casaivar02-20

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@G.White that looks good to me. It might be a bit short and narrow. But combined with a warm top and thermal leggings it would probably do me. And no, a sleeping bag does not offer protection from bed bugs.

My down quilt from Enlightened Equipment was the very best thing I had on the Camino. If it was too hot, I just moved it aside or stuck my feet out. Super lightweight and soft. In fact it might be the best thing I OWN, period!

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back