• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ultra Lite Sleeping Bag Suggestions / Ideas

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Hi,

Just doing some gear planning for our 2018 Camino. CF from St Jean. Late Apr to early June. 45-50 days. Slow walkers.

We'll stay mainly in Casa Rurals or similar but may also do Albergues here and there.

I sleep warm, so a liner will be fine for me and I can throw on extra clothes if cold.

My 'Dearly Beloved' however sleeps cold and would not sleep well in 2 or 3 layers of clothes. So I'm researching a really light sleeping bag. Something that she could use in an Albergue but also in a CR if cold.

Weight is the main consideration..........as I'll be carrying it! :oops:

Any suggestions most appreciated.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sea to Summit Traveler is what I use. It is rated for 50 degrees and I am sure it is not good for a single degree less. It is listed at 13.7oz but mine weighs 14.80 in the included stuff sack. Many caminos in September through mid October it was too much some nights and not enough in Galicia during October with empty albergues. YMMV.

Mike

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My sleeping bag is not warm enough on chilly nights in the spring and fall. I bought a down jacket on sale, and cut the sleeves off to make a vest that is less bulky and hot. Then I opened up the sleeves and sewed them together to make a weird-shaped little quilt. On cold nights I wear the vest and take the quilt inside my bag to put over my legs and hips. If it gets too warm I just push it to the bottom of the bag. You don't need insulation on the bottom because there are always mattresses. Perhaps a liner plus small down quilt would work.

Lots of great tips and links. Many thanks. It's leading me to all kinds of options. I'm amazed to find sleeping bags that weigh as little as 380 g !

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last Sept and Oct I carried and used a quilt from http://enlightenedequipment.com/quilts/ it was very lightweight and warm, often too warm, when I needed it. I believe that I had the revelation model. It took up very little room. I plan to bring it back with me for my next Camino. It opens out flat so I use it at home as a quilt on those few nights in the desert that are cold enough.

Buen Camino

The Black Diamond quilt is really nice and warm for the size and weight and can be made even smaller if you want. There is also the Alpkit Cloud Cover hydrophobic down duvet with snaps and drawstrings to turn it into a sleeping bag.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi @Robo we did a fair bit of research before settling on something for Robyn this year. I'm not keen on mummy sleeping bags, like the Spark, but prefer a quilt which gives better temperature control and does not waste weight by having down underneath where it gets compressed and is useless. When I imported my JacksRBetter quilts from the US there was no alternative here in Oz, I'd love the Costco down throw but they haven't had it in the Australian stores (as far as I can tell).

What we have found is that Sea to Summit which is what Robyn eventually bought - it is very light and very warm: http://www.seatosummit.com.au/sleepingbags/series/?series=ember-quilts

I lust after an Enlightened Equipment Revelation, but only because I love the colours. If I win the lottery....

Hi @Robo we did a fair bit of research before settling on something for Robyn this year. I'm not keen on mummy sleeping bags, like the Spark, but prefer a quilt which gives better temperature control and does not waste weight by having down underneath where it gets compressed and is useless. When I imported my JacksRBetter quilts from the US there was no alternative here in Oz, I'd love the Costco down throw but they haven't had it in the Australian stores (as far as I can tell).

What we have found is that Sea to Summit which is what Robyn eventually bought - it is very light and very warm: http://www.seatosummit.com.au/sleepingbags/series/?series=ember-quilts

I lust after an Enlightened Equipment Revelation, but only because I love the colours. If I win the lottery....

Interesting. I watched the videos on Quilts. Personally I'm not sure I would cope well with the straps and lack of anything under me. And they are not 'that' light......

I use the quilt like I do at home - sheet under, quilt on top. I do sometimes make a toe box if it is cold, or if it is slipping off - which it can do if using a silk sleeping bag liner. I've never used the straps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.