• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ultralight Budget-Friendly Hikenture Sleeping Pad review and Comparison to the Quechua Ultralight

Walking Nature World

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (2018)
Today we are doing a review of the sleeping pad that we've been using almost for a year and been loving so far - Hikenture Sleeping Pad. We are going to share our opinion about it, we'll discuss its features, comfort, weight, durability, time of inflation and price-quality ratio. Also we are going to compare it to the normal Quechua Sleeping Pad that we had used before and see how they differ. So without further adue let's get started!

Watch the full video here:

Hope that this video was useful to you and we could clarify some of your doubts. So you will all make the right choice for yourself! Let us know if you would like to see more reviews like this in the future.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As usual I like your approach 👍

Here's mine:

I've tried several self inflating mats in the past, but I always went back to closed cell foam mats. I've been using for years a 3-season Multimat which they don't make it anymore (http://www.multimat.uk.com/) which weights only 250 grams and nothing else.

I've found that with self inflating mats I always worry to be extra careful to avoid puncture them (even tho I never had problems) and sometimes I can't be bothered to be that careful especially if it's a long trek.

For just an overnight during warm season I go rough and bring only an aluminum mat like this: https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01FSMTV36/ which weights only 160g.

I recently got a new self inflating mat (just an impulse buying due to the discount I had), this one: https://www.klymit.com/inertia-x-frame-ultralight-sleeping-pad.html but I haven't had the chance to test it yet, I was thinking to couple it with this: https://backpackinglight.dk/sleeping/sleeping-mats/thinlight-foam-pad-18 when the time will come. But I like to sleep on hard surfaces, so it may be overkill for me.

As usual I like your approach 👍

Here's mine:

I've tried several self inflating mats in the past, but I always went back to closed cell foam mats. I've been using for years a 3-season Multimat which they don't make it anymore (http://www.multimat.uk.com/) which weights only 250 grams and nothing else.

I've found that with self inflating mats I always worry to be extra careful to avoid puncture them (even tho I never had problems) and sometimes I can't be bothered to be that careful especially if it's a long trek.

For just an overnight during warm season I go rough and bring only an aluminum mat like this: https://www.amazon.it/Uquip-Flexy-190-Tappetino-proteggere/dp/B01FSMTV36/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_it_IT=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=Uquip-Flexy-190-Tappetino-proteggere&qid=1557324669&s=gateway&sr=8-1 which weights only 160g.

I recently got a new self inflating mat (just an impulse buying due to the discount I had), this one: https://www.klymit.com/inertia-x-frame-ultralight-sleeping-pad.html but I haven't had the chance to test it yet, I was thinking to couple it with this: https://backpackinglight.dk/sleeping/sleeping-mats/thinlight-foam-pad-18 when the time will come. But I like to sleep on hard surfaces, so it may be overkill for me.

Thank you for sharing your experience. The puncture thing does worry us a bit, still have to keep it in mind but for now everything was ok. We have never heard before about closed cell foam mats, have to dig deeper into that. And the frame type inflatable mat look absolutely surreal to us, but it may be worth trying if we have the opportunity. Looks very interesting. You really like to go rough, lots of respect to you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We have never heard before about closed cell foam mats, have to dig deeper into that.

You are already using them underneath the inflatable ones :)
Mine looks thicker than the ones you're using it's about 1 cm thick and it doesn't have a reflective side, but they are the same thing.

The X fame mat is a bet for me too, the theory behind it looks convincing, now I just need see if it fits my way of sleeping.

The Nemo Tensor (72"x22", 14 oz/396 gr) is the one that accompanied me on my Pacific Crest Trail thru-hike.

The Klymit X frames work well for a lot of folks (including me), but they are not self inflating, though they do take far fewer lung fulls of air to get them inflated. :)

The Chinese made air mattresses, like the Hikenture's can be a good bargain because of cost, but they are not very 'hardy' under long term backpacking use in the wild. Some 'heavier; folks may find them uncomfortable as they are not very thick, which is how they save weight.

You are already using them underneath the inflatable ones :)
Mine looks thicker than the ones you're using it's about 1 cm thick and it doesn't have a reflective side, but they are the same thing.

The X fame mat is a bet for me too, the theory behind it looks convincing, now I just need see if it fits my way of sleeping.

Ok, thanks for the explanation, the definition was a bit hard:)

That's a completely new concept. Let us know how it will be for you, would be really curious to know.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Klymit X frames work well for a lot of folks (including me), but they are not self inflating, though they do take far fewer lung fulls of air to get them inflated. :)

Yes, you're right. When I wrote the post it was still in the box. I opened it today.

That's a completely new concept. Let us know how it will be for you, would be really curious to know.

I tried it this morning indoor.

First impressions:
- it's ridiculously light only 254g (without bag/repair kit/pump)
- it can be inflated with few breaths and the pump is useless
- it can be rolled inside the sleeping bag so its bag can be left at home. I keep sleeping bag, liner and sleeping clothes rolled up together and inside a dry bag, the mat basically adds nothing more and the bag I use is sufficient.
- it took me time to roll it up in its bag as it doesn't deflate regularly like the rectangular ones
- inside the sleeping bag it's comfy and against the skin it's OK, I always use a liner tho, so it won't touch my skin
- I don't think it can be used efficiently under the sleeping bag at least for me
- since I don't like having the sleeping bag directly on the tent floor an extra mat should be put underneath. A thin foam mat or even a piece of bubble wrap will do, depending on the seasons of course
- It's a mat for singles

IMG_20190513_110452.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, you're right. When I wrote the post it was still in the box. I opened it today.

First impressions:
- it can be rolled inside the sleeping bag so its bag can be left at home. I keep sleeping bag, liner and sleeping clothes rolled up together and inside a dry bag, the mat basically adds nothing more and the bag I use is sufficient.
- it took me time to roll it up in its bag as it doesn't deflate regularly like the rectangular ones
- inside the sleeping bag it's comfy and against the skin it's OK, I always use a liner tho, so it won't touch my skin
- I don't think it can be used efficiently under the sleeping bag at least for me
- since I don't like having the sleeping bag directly on the tent floor an extra mat should be put underneath. A thin foam mat or even a piece of bubble wrap will do, depending on the seasons of course
- It's a mat for singles

View attachment 57203

Although Klymit designed these specific X frames for in-bag use, you can use them outside of the bag. They work equally well when the sleeping bag rests on top of the mattress. I would still use a tyvek, or similar ground sheet, underneath the mattress.

First impressions:
- It's a mat for singles

View attachment 57203

Thank you for sharing such valuable information. It would be better to try it first in some shop to see if it really fits our needs. The weight and campactness of it is great.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.