• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ultralight on the Camino--Zoom Presentation Sept. 15, 7pm Eastern time (U.S.). Registration still open.

Jo Jo

Time of past OR future Camino
Eight routes; nine pilgrimages 2014-present
Logo

Ultralight on the Camino de Santiago

Ultralight backpacking has been a part of long trails in America for decades, but never quite made it to the Camino. Until now. My Camino pack weighs five pounds (without water or food) and my husband’s pack weighs 10 pounds. I have witnessed pilgrims employ the services of a mochila transport while carting daypacks that are are heavier than my Camino pack.

It is possible to pack light for the Camino. I will share with you how we do this, including gear lists and suggestions.

Carrying a light pack on the Camino confers many advantages as a light load makes for nimble steps, and decrease in knee and foot problems. But the best advantage is spiritual. One of the beatitudes of the Pilgrims we encountered along the way is: ”Blessed are you pilgrim if your backpack is empty of possessions, and your heart is full of emotions.”

We welcome you to join us on Thursday, September 15 at 7pm ET for a fun evening of discovery of the pleasure of carrying an ultralight load on your Camino de Santiago. Please register in advance for this Zoom event by Tuesday, September 13. If that link doesn’t work for you, copy and paste this into your browser: https://is.gd/bTymnZ
Presenters Nery and JoJo are passionate about encouraging and supporting fellow Pilgrims on their Caminos. Their credenciales include
  • Camino Francés (SJPP to Santiago; Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia), 2014
  • St. Francis Way (Firenze to Assisi), 2015
  • Camino Frances, (SJPP to Santiago to Muxia), 201
  • Camino Portuguese Central Route
    ( Porto to Santiago), 2017
  • Camino El San Salvador (Leon to Oviedo) and El Primitivo (Oviedo to Galicia Border via Hospitales Route), 2019
  • Camino Primitivo (Oviedo to Santiago via Hospitales Route; Santiago to Muxia), 2021
  • Camino del Norte (Irún to San Vicente de la Barqueta) and Camino Lebaniego (San Vicente de la Barqueta to El Monasterio de Santo Toribio de Liebana), 2021.
7ab4e10a-6bda-bed8-85fd-3f3877e7f1bc.jpg
Logo
Copyright (C) 2022 American Pilgrims on the Camino. All rights reserved.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would like to attend but can’t during the live event. Will you record this for viewing later?

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m confused. This asks us to register 2 days before the actual post. How did it go?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Too bad this jusst arrived today in my email ( Sept 16). I would have liked to hear this.

Too bad this jusst arrived today in my email ( Sept 16). I would have liked to hear this.
It was posted on the forum a few days ago, as a last-minute but welcome invitation, but I guess you are relying on a weekly email from the forum. Maybe if you join APOC and sign up for their newsletters, or monitor their site, you can get earlier notice of the next such event.

As one of the presenters (the other was my wife), the short notice was largely my fault. I attempted first to post on the APOC Facebook page, but never got approval from the moderators. And somehow in that process, I forgot to just post over here on the forum until just before the event. My deepest regrets.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It was posted on the forum a few days ago, as a last-minute but welcome invitation, but I guess you are relying on a weekly email from the forum. Maybe if you join APOC and sign up for their newsletters, or monitor their site, you can get earlier notice of the next such event.
I do get a daily email and if it was posted then I guess I just did not see it. And, I am a member of APOC.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.