• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ultreia Mancunia III

Stedds

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles (2012) Camino Del Norte (2013) Camino Primitivo (2013) Via Podensis (2013)
Pilgrims!

The time has come again for another social. Our first two events have been very successful so far. The last time, we went up Kinder Scout, in the Peak District, in an unexpected blizzard and came out victorious the other side.

Between then and our next gathering, a few have been and hopefully returned from their latest Camino of 2014.

These are great opportunities for 'prospective' or 'first time' pilgrims to attend and hang out, ask any questions they want and share their concerns. The combined knowledge at these events is immense so please don't be shy.

Right now, I haven't quite settled on an idea of what to do. Suggestions are very much welcome. Ultreia Mancunia III is launched.

Ultreia!

Eddie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Pilgrims!

The time has come again for another social. Our first two events have been very successful so far. The last time, we went up Kinder Scout, in the Peak District, in an unexpected blizzard and came out victorious the other side.

Between then and our next gathering, a few have been and hopefully returned from their latest Camino of 2014.

These are great opportunities for 'prospective' or 'first time' pilgrims to attend and hang out, ask any questions they want and share their concerns. The combined knowledge at these events is immense so please don't be shy.

Right now, I haven't quite settled on an idea of what to do. Suggestions are very much welcome. Ultreia Mancunia III is launched.

Ultreia!

Eddie
I couldn't make the last two but am definitely interested
Cate

I'm up for it. Hopefully won't be so late this time. I'm on the train home from my latest Camino and the blues are setting in already so I‘ll need some pilg company. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We're off to Scotland tomorrow to get some good walks in before doing the Speyside Way from May 26th to June 1st. Very different from our Camino last year as all beds are booked and luggage transported! We plan on walking the Camino Baztanés from Bayonne to Pamplona at the end of Aug and then continue on the Francés again. Will keep in touch.
Jean (Lancaster)

Pilgrims!

Ultreia!

Eddie

Hi Eddie
Good to hear Ultreia Mancunia II went well - sorry I missed it.
I think it was the same weekend as the Wilmslow Half Marathon?

What ideas have you got for III - social / walking / both?
I'm not sure if anyone is interested - I'm doing "Coast To Coast"
End June / early July
So one suggestion could be to do part of that??

Ned

Alright Ned! No ideas yet but need to get something sorted.

I like your idea of doing some of the 'Coast to Coast'. Where abouts do you think you would be? I am very interested in this. Over a couple of days as well it can be seen as a short holiday.

Eddie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We're off to Scotland tomorrow to get some good walks in before doing the Speyside Way from May 26th to June 1st. Very different from our Camino last year as all beds are booked and luggage transported! We plan on walking the Camino Baztanés from Bayonne to Pamplona at the end of Aug and then continue on the Francés again. Will keep in touch.
Jean (Lancaster)

Nice to hear from you Jean. Your plans sound excellent!

I'm up for it. Hopefully won't be so late this time. I'm on the train home from my latest Camino and the blues are setting in already so I‘ll need some pilg company. :)

Yes Keith!! It would be top if you made this one!!

Eddie,
I can't promise to be around to join the fun on meet#3 as I am due to to embark on the Via Francigena at the end of the month. I don't know how far I'll manage to get along the route before my health, money or resolve runs out, so I'll keep checking the forum for updates in case I arrive home earlier than planned.

Regards to you and the Mancunia Crew !
James

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh, another Mancunia meet! I am quite busy this summer, starting on the Welsh Coast Path from Chester in early July amongst other things, so I hope it's a day when I can be there too! Sitting and chatting, having a meal, a walk or a combination of the three are all good for me. Need to get some practice hours in with the new pack!

Three Peaks from Horton in Ribblesdale with lunch at the Station Inn at Ribblehead?

Is anything happening in the near future? I am starting a top-up camino in Sept and wanted to ask for some albergue advice but it seems the Facebook group thing is gone?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Is anything happening in the near future? I am starting a top-up camino in Sept and wanted to ask for some albergue advice but it seems the Facebook group thing is gone?
Ive not heard anything but it would be good to meet again. I bumped into Eddie in Manchester in May and he mentioned organising something over the summer, but he must have been busy. It's probably someone else's turn to organise it. Which route are you walking?

I am repeating the last bit of the Frances from Astorga starting mid September. Maybe we could meet again later in the autumn, I'm sure many of us have been walking or planning a walk since last time. Any suggestions welcome on this thread!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So, someone tell me -- what is Mancunia? A secret sect? A special place? A state of mind? :)

It's all of those, and also another name for Manchester, the capital of those parts of England that don't have the misfortune to be London and its 50 miles of suburbs. Home of the Mancunian Way, which is not nearly so nice as St James' one. Also the home of the beato de Manchester which the monks Emeterio and Ende lavishly illustrated in the scriptorium of Tábara on the VdlP some time in the 970s.

Last edited:
Pilgrims!

Ultreia!

Eddie

Hi Eddie - Good to hear from you again! A shame you didn't join us on the Coast To Coast - we had a great time.
Yes we should arrange a meeting soon - let me know if I can help at all.
By the way - not sure if anyone out there has come across this:-
http://www.meetup.com/thisisBreathe/
I have just joined today and will find out more
Ned

It's all of those, and also another name for Manchester, the capital of those parts of England that don't have the misfortune to be London and its 50 miles of suburbs. Home of the Mancunian Way, which is not nearly so nice as St James' one. Also the home of the beato de Manchester which the monks Emeterio and Ende lavishly illustrated in the scriptorium of Tábara on the VdlP some time in the 970s.
It's HOME !!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So very sorry for my absence in the past months. Too much work maybe. My only highlight has been a last minute Yorks 3 Peaks trek in June.

An autumn event could be looming! Everyone seems happy, then so am I :)

I will be coming home from Santiago (two week top-up Camino) early October, so count me in! British Autumn leaves and heather sounds great! Or we could go and eat some tapas? Or both?

count me in manchester is in lanchashire north west england

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Eddie
Just wondered if you had looked at "BREATHE"?
I am hopefully going to the first meeting in Manchester next Thursday
Fancy meeting for a pint?
Ned

Am looking to do the CF in May 2015. If there's are any meets coming up please advise and I will be there

€60,-
It could be a good idea to focus on setting a date over Christmas for another meet up. I've found it difficult to pick a date recently, so if we concentrate on the couple of weeks around Christmas we could onto a winner.

It could be a good idea to focus on setting a date over Christmas for another meet up. I've found it difficult to pick a date recently, so if we concentrate on the couple of weeks around Christmas we could onto a winner.

all ready say when.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What about ------ meeting one Sunday at Gorton Priory?

What about ------ meeting one Sunday at Gorton Priory?
I pass close to the Priory quite often without dropping-in, so it would definitely interest me. What did you have in mind that would make it tempting for people coming from a distance who might not have heard of it?

I pass close to the Priory quite often without dropping-in, so it would definitely interest me. What did you have in mind that would make it tempting for people coming from a distance who might not have heard of it?

This looks to be an ideal venue for a meeting of some kind. I like the fact it has been restored and to a high spec it seems. This is the first time I've come across it.

How does Sat 13th Dec sound? This is plenty of time to sort ourselves out and be prepared for it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Eddie
I think they are only open to the public on a Sunday
Unless there is an event on of some kind
Ned

I have asked them if they knew of any historical "pilgrimage walks" that ended at Gorton
They said "no"!
Might be worth looking into

Thank-you Celia Walker for copying widely your reply to Ned's email of today, 2nd March.

The proposal for two Manunia events a year sounds sensible and I plan to make myself available for the next one, scheduled for the 19th April.

Ned, perhaps you can post a copy of your email here just in case there are others who didn't see the original communication.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi James
Yes happy to hear from experienced and new pilgrims
I have ideas for April 19th but other ideas are welcome!
My e-mail address is - nedspencer@point-systems.co.uk
Ned

Hola Peregrinos!

Following the great work Eddie did last year with UM I and II,

I have offered to help him with keeping the group going

I hope that we can all get together soon …..

Eddie and I were thinking of arranging to meet on Sunday April 19th

Please let me know if you’re interested and can make that date

I’ve suggested to Eddie that we only plan 2 “events” a year

Maybe one “social” and one “walk”

What do you think?

Also – I think it would be a good idea if we are linked with the CSJ

Then anyone who contacts them from the North West can join in

I will coordinate with the CSJ office

Eddie will update the forum and the Facebook pages

So here is our idea for April 19th

(For future events we can ask for volunteers to organise something?)

We will meet in Manchester as we did for UM I

I suggest we meet at same place at 14:00 for drinks and a chat

Followed by something to eat for anyone interested

Another option for anyone who is interested – same day

Meet in Manchester at 11:00

Walk from Manchester to Gorton Monastery

(OK – not scenic – but it’s a walk!)

An hour in the monastery

Walk back to Manchester for the 14:00 meeting

If you’ve not been to or heard of The Monastery – I can really recommend it!

Please:-

Let me know if I’ve missed anyone off this e-mail

Tell me if you have other ideas for the group

Cheers

Ned

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola Peregrinos!

What do you think?

An hour in the monastery

Cheers

Ned

Hola Peregrinos!

What do you think?

An hour in the monastery

Cheers

Ned

I am starting from Ronc on May 10th and would welcome attending
Where about' s in Manchester, and is art 2pm

Mike

€83,-
I am starting from Ronc on May 10th and would welcome attending
Where about' s in Manchester, and is art 2pm

Mike
Mike
If you want to do the short walk to Gorton Monastery - then 11:00 at Piccadilly Station
If not then 14:00 at Wetherspoons - Piccadilly Gardens
If possible send me an e-mail (my address is listed above)
Then I'll send out final details nearer the time
Ned

Hello there!

I've got this pilgrim get together sorted on Facebook - CLICK THIS LINK.

Will be good to catch up with you all, hopefully see some new faces and pass on high quality information, advice and share the Camino once again!

Just to summarize:

Sunday 19th April - Meet @ Piccadilly Station for 11.00

Walk to Gorton Monastery - check it out here - http://www.themonastery.co.uk/

Head back to town for social at Piccadilly Wetherspoons from 2pm

Everyone welcome!

Any questions, drop myself or Ned a line.

eddieheakin@hotmail.com --- nedspencer@point-systems.co.uk

Slight change of plan folks.

Our planned trek to Gorton has to be pulled. It isn't available to us any more so we will still go ahead only we will MEET 1 HOUR LATER @ 12PM, Manchester Piccadilly Train Station.

See you Sunday

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was one of the eleven people lucky enough to be able to meet up for a very pleasant afternoon social in Manchester city centre last Sunday. It was great to see a mix of new- and familiar-faces, and just like the last time we met there the hours simply flew by. Five members of the gathering, including myself, will be on camino routes in France and Spain next month, so there'll be lots of fresh experiences/memories to share when we next meet -for a walk - in October.

Thanks Ned and Eddie for organising these events.

Yes!! UMIII went very well indeed. It was really good to be back in the Camino mindset even if it was just for an afternoon.

Next catch up will be sorted no later than October. Hopefully everyone's planned way will be successful and come back and share with us!

Ultreia!

Folks - 2015 will also include Ultreia Mancunia IV / V and VI!!!
Sunday July 26th - Pam's walk - Wilmslow - approx. 6 miles
Saturday September 5th - Barbara's walk - Entwistle - short
Saturday October 17th - Barry's walk - Whalley - 9 miles
Contact Eddie or Ned for more details

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Here are details for walk next Sunday in Wilmslow:

We meet at 10:00 at The Carrs car park (pay & display)

http://www.friendsofthecarrs.org.uk/directions.html

The Carrs Main Entrance

Cliff Road

Wilmslow

Cheshire

SK9 4AA

We walk along the river Bollin through Styal to Morley

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/quarry-bank/

Then back over the Lindow Peat bog to Wilmslow

http://www.wilmslow.org.uk/wilmslow/lindowman/lindowmoss-lindowman.html

Then lunch (about 12:30) at the Bollin Fee (Wetherspoons) in Wilmslow

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/the-bollin-fee

We can chat through Camino stuff while we're walking

So - for any CAMINO followers in the NW of England - come and join us on October 17th.

Details are as follows:
Just a reminder of the walk to St James' church Altham. on 17th Oct. Please let me know as soon as possible as church wardens need to know numbers coming
MEETING TIME
10.15am for a 10.30am start at Whalley Bus Station
WALK
A 9 mile walk from Whalley over Whalley Nab along the River Calder with a packed lunch stop before reaching the church at Altham. Returning via Read Hall hoping to arrive back at Whalley about 4.30pm.
ST JAME'S CHURCH ALTHAM
We have a short tour of the church where we can view the stained glass window of St James followed by tea or coffee and biscuits, the warden has asked for a donation of £2.50p for the tour or £3.50p. for refreshments.
ST MARY'S CHURCH WHALLEY
Here the warden suggested a short service and tour of the church, paying special attention to the miserichords.
WHALLEY ABBEY
If time permits a short tour of the Abbey ruins.
TRANSPORT/PARKING
The best train to catch if you are thinking of coming this way is the 9.03am arrive Whalley at 10.12am.
Anyone coming by train please let me know.
Free car parking on Accrington Road, Whalley or pay and display on Swan Hotel car park, money refunded if drink is purchased on return.
For those on facebook check out Ultreia Mancunia for photos
CONTACT
Barry Mather mobile; 07895387845
Ned Spencer - 07867 802744
(OR e-mail - nedspencer@point-systems.co.uk)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back