• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Ultreia!

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 1977 by train. Many since then by foot. Next one ASAP.
I finished my most recent walk in Spain on 1 October 2019, with a long, late lingering dinner at the Taberna Aurea, Plaza del Grano, Leon. Sort of a wistful “Last Supper” mindset. Scrambled eggs with aged cheese and pine nuts. No French fries in sight. And then, next morning, it was off to MAD Barajas by ALSA bus.

Started my 2020 trip planning within weeks. It was going to be in September 2020, the Portuguese, followed by the Finisterre. Obsessively worked it all out, booked rooms where appropriate, started watching for the elusive bargain air-fare. But for rather obvious reasons, it never got off the ground.

Then optimistically started my 2021 trip planning, again within weeks, for September 2021, Leon to SdeC this time, slow and solitary and meditative. Worked things out to the last detail. ALSA Bus tickets to Leon ordered as soon as possible, rooms booked in all the chokepoints (especially SdeC!), and because I was booking very early I got some stunningly cheap room rates…. Even booked my airfare! Trip of a lifetime. A day did not go by without my thinking of it, for several months.

And then I got the Virus.

It’s the nature of what I do, celebrating the Mass, hearing confessions, visiting the sick, offering blessings and last rites, counseling inmates at the local jail, you name it. Now, I’d gotten vaccinated waaaaay back in March 2021 – Pfizer, two jabs. But I got the virus anyway. Last Sunday after Mass I learned that several parish families included members who’d tested positive. When I left the church I went straight to the lab and got tested. Positive. Big sigh!

My case appears to be quite mild, TBTG! 10—14 days in wearisome self-isolation. (I’ll YouTube-Camino-video myself to death!) Then I should be good to go, w/o putting anyone at risk! I hope.

It’s wheels up for me on 11 September 2021, to MAD Barajas! And, by gum, unless something new happens I’m going! The prospect of walking in Spain once more has sustained me for two long years, now. At my age, with my medical history, I have to treat every trip as though it were my last – something the virus experience has only underscored.

I want to end my next "Last Supper” enjoying chorizo al vino on the terrace at the Café-Bar Mazarelos, Plaza de Mazarelos, in the City of St. James. The best in toda Espana! And where I finished my very first visit, back in 1977.

Ultreia!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I finished my most recent walk in Spain on 1 October 2019, with a long, late lingering dinner at the Taberna Aurea, Plaza del Grano, Leon. Sort of a wistful “Last Supper” mindset. Scrambled eggs with aged cheese and pine nuts. No French fries in sight. And then, next morning, it was off to Barajas by ALSA bus.

Started my 2020 trip planning within weeks. It was going to be in September 2020, the Portuguese, followed by the Finisterre. Obsessively worked it all out, booked rooms where appropriate, started watching for the elusive bargain air-fare. But for rather obvious reasons, it never got off the ground.

Then optimistically started my 2021 trip planning, again within weeks. September, Leon to SdeC this time, slow and solitary and meditative. Worked things out to the last detail. Bus tickets to Leon ordered as soon as possible, rooms booked in all the chokepoints, and because booking early got some stunningly cheap room rates…. Even booked airfare. Trip of a lifetime. A day did not go by without my thinking of it.

It’s the nature of what I do, celebrating the Mass, hearing confessions, visiting the sick, offering blessings and last rites, counseling inmates at the local jail, you name it. Now, I’d gotten vaccinated waaaaay back in March 2021 – Pfizer, two jabs. But I got the virus anyway. Last Sunday after Mass I learned that several parish families included members who’d tested positive. When I left the church I went straight to the lab and got tested. Positive. Big sigh!

My case appears to be quite mild, TBTG! 10—14 days in wearisome self-isolation. I’ll YouTube Camino video myself to death! Then I should be good to go, w/o putting anyone at risk! (I hope.)

It’s wheels up for me on 11 September 2021, to MAD Barajas! And, by gum, unless something new happens I’m going! The prospect of walking in Spain once more has sustained me for two long years, now. At my age, with my medical history, I have to treat every trip as though it were my last – something the virus experience has only underscored.

I want to end my next ‘Last Supper” enjoying chorizo al vino on the terrace at the Café-Bar Mazarelos, Plaza de Mazarelos, in the City of St. James. The best in toda Espana! And where I finished my very first visit, back in 1977.

Ultreia!
So sorry you got that danged virus and hopefully you now on the mend!
Sending love, hugs, and prayers!

Nice one….Ultreia !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I finished my most recent walk in Spain on 1 October 2019, with a long, late lingering dinner at the Taberna Aurea, Plaza del Grano, Leon. Sort of a wistful “Last Supper” mindset. Scrambled eggs with aged cheese and pine nuts. No French fries in sight. And then, next morning, it was off to Barajas by ALSA bus.

Then optimistically started my 2021 trip planning, again within weeks. September, Leon to SdeC this time, slow and solitary and meditative. Worked things out to the last detail. Bus tickets to Leon ordered as soon as possible, rooms booked in all the chokepoints, and because booking early got some stunningly cheap room rates…. Even booked airfare. Trip of a lifetime. A day did not go by without my thinking of it.

My case appears to be quite mild, TBTG! 10—14 days in wearisome self-isolation. I’ll YouTube Camino video myself to death! Then I should be good to go, w/o putting anyone at risk! (I hope.)

I want to end my next ‘Last Supper” enjoying chorizo al vino on the terrace at the Café-Bar Mazarelos, Plaza de Mazarelos, in the City of St. James. The best in toda Espana! And where I finished my very first visit, back in 1977.

Ultreia!
Many thanks for all you do for others. Now take care of yourself, Spain is awaiting your arrival.

Ultreia!

Ultreia!
Wishing you good health and God’s blessings upon you. Hope the parish is doing well. I’m on the Via Gebennensis now and feel like we are walking in a bubble as the Delta variant rises here and at home in the States.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Ultreia!

I could joke and say that at least it wasn't bed bugs. but in reality it is a matter of thankfulness that your illness appears to be mild and uncomplicated, and I pray for your complete recovery.

At my age, with my medical history, I have to treat every trip as though it were my last. .

I think yours' is a feeling and frustration that is shared by more than a few of us as well. :) Patience would be a lot easier to embrace if that patience wasn't accompanied by the loud ticking of the mortality countdown clock :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Ultreia!
Wow, what a story and first of all... GET WELL SOON and then most certainly a good walk to Santiago. Ultreia! 🌻

Cool, rev keep on keeping on. The spirit will guide you. Namaste

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So sorry to hear that you contracted The Virus. So many prayers and blessings for your total recovery and especially for your Camino! May you enjoy another wonderful meal at the Taberna Aurea (one of my very favorites) on your way to your best Camino ever!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I finished my most recent walk in Spain on 1 October 2019, with a long, late lingering dinner at the Taberna Aurea, Plaza del Grano, Leon. Sort of a wistful “Last Supper” mindset. Scrambled eggs with aged cheese and pine nuts. No French fries in sight. And then, next morning, it was off to MAD Barajas by ALSA bus.

Then optimistically started my 2021 trip planning, again within weeks, for September 2021, Leon to SdeC this time, slow and solitary and meditative. Worked things out to the last detail. ALSA Bus tickets to Leon ordered as soon as possible, rooms booked in all the chokepoints (especially SdeC!), and because I was booking very early I got some stunningly cheap room rates…. Even booked my airfare! Trip of a lifetime. A day did not go by without my thinking of it, for several months.

My case appears to be quite mild, TBTG! 10—14 days in wearisome self-isolation. (I’ll YouTube-Camino-video myself to death!) Then I should be good to go, w/o putting anyone at risk! I hope.

I want to end my next "Last Supper” enjoying chorizo al vino on the terrace at the Café-Bar Mazarelos, Plaza de Mazarelos, in the City of St. James. The best in toda Espana! And where I finished my very first visit, back in 1977.

Ultreia!
The beauty of having the vaccine. Thank goodness you got it and you are on your way to a quick recovery.

Reverend, your comments make me smile because they are full of joyous hope! I'm so happy to hear that you have a mild case. TBTG for the positive effect of double vaccinations. Have a fantastic trip and I would love to run into you on a Camino one day. Anyone who makes me laugh is a gift!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Ultreia!
Wishing you safe recovery and all the best of everything for a trouble free camino.

Ultreia!
Buen Camino! You’ll be in my prayers. Thank you kindly for your fiat to God!

Ultreia!
Go dé tú slán

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Silver Lining

1). Vaccine worked
2).. Your symptoms were mild enough that if you didn’t know others around you had it (inferred) you probably would not have immediately gone fora test.
3). Most likely Your immunity should be quite good when you are in Spain.

Nevertheless, do those masks, Rev.

Speedy recovery, relax, and Buen Camino!

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back