• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Umbrella or not?

The last few times I wore my Altus (yes, the one that is praised here so much) my clothes and pack got wet. So I need something else.

Actually (do I dare to say this...) I never really liked the Altus. It sticked to my legs, it always made me sweat and after the rain you still have to leave this wet tent somewhere. I especially hated it with showers. Get it out of my pack, trying to put in on in rain and wind. After the rain stuffing the wet thing somewhere in my pack. Another shower. Getting the (still wet, now also on the inside) Altus out of my pack and try to put the wet, sweaty thing back on again...

Today I hiked with an (ordinary) umbrella for the first time. Just because I haven't replaced my Altus yet. Got a few showers (one rather heavy) with wind. Wasn't wearing a jacket or a coat. Just a T-shirt and my umbrella. I stayed dry (inside and outside) and I liked it! Now I am doubting about leaving all raingear at home and just take an umbrella (Del Norte, this summer).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Now I am doubting about leaving all raingear at home and just take an umbrella (Del Norte, this summer).

I took the plunge and left my poncho at home when taking an umbrella (VdlP and CF in Summer). Never missed it and it rained even on the Via de la Plata! The only precaution I took was to protect my sleeping bag (down) and my clothes in dry bags, as I didn't have a pack rain cover either. Worked perfectly.

I am just loving this thread ... so many helpful and thoughtful comments ... I now have my very own hiking/trekking umbrella ... yay! and already I can see its great value ... so now for the next step: will I take the plunge and leave my poncho at home when I walk the Le Puy route in September? that’s the question ... after reading the most recent posts from Luka and Domigee it is in my mind to do so ... thanks everyone for your thoughtful contributions

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked the VdlP in April 2016. I took a poncho and a trekking umbrella. Never used the poncho. Ever. The umbrella was out of my pack on numerous days and worked fine. I only ever got damp even during torrential rain around Cáceres and a thunder and lightening storm before Cañaveral. I also had a light windbreaker - useful for evenings and on occasion when I stopped for a break or alfresco lunch on windy damp days. Next time I'll leave the poncho behind (actually I'm going to sell it!)

I took both poncho and umbrella, and will do so again, even though I'll be walking in July/August. I don't have a pack cover, so my poncho covers my pack and the parts of me that the umbrella can't. And my poncho (actually a homemade Parcho) is very lightweight at just 7.2 ounces.

What I was wondering as these handsfree trekking umbrellas are so expensive... for handsfree you only need the clips, right? The things that make it possible to attach an (any?) umbrella to your pack. Does anyone know if these clips are sold separately as well?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm an umbrella fan too. I had one of the fancy Euroschirm folding hiking umbrellas but it didn't last very long (possibly bad luck, two of the fibreglass ribs wore through (splintered?) after a couple of uses and it couldn't be fixed). I used to have a pink umbrella from a £1 shop (quite strong/lasted ages). Last time I took one of the Totes mini umbrellas, tiny and light, good for shade and drizzle (It usually sits in my bag for work). Not so good in strong wind, for a winter camino or if you are a bigger person because of small canopy and you don't have the reflective material. Unless the rain is at a weird angle I can usually poke the umbrella through rucksack straps to go hands free.

New hiking gear is lovely but sometimes I think it's worth having a look at what you already have (non-hiking stuff) and seeing how it compares.

What I was wondering as these handsfree trekking umbrellas are so expensive... for handsfree you only need the clips, right? The things that make it possible to attach an (any?) umbrella to your pack. Does anyone know if these clips are sold separately as well?
Actually, it's the clips, which fit the handle of the umbrella, and the fact that it has an extra long handle that attaches to the hip belt, so that it has two points of attachment, making it very stable.

I have never ised the clips on my Euroschrim but I love it because the canopy is large, it is silver so it reflects the heat, it has a long shaft (that is how ot stays on place, under both backpack straps) and is super well made.

But if you want to use aregular umbrella with a shorter shaft and hope the rwgular non reflecting canopy ll be good enoigh, I know there are a number of Youtube videos that show how to rig a backpack with bungie attachments to keep a regular umbralla in place.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
But if you want to use aregular umbrella with a shorter shaft and hope the rwgular non reflecting canopy ll be good enoigh, I know there are a number of Youtube videos that show how to rig a backpack with bungie attachments to keep a regular umbralla in place.
Thanks! Found one with exactly my pack :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.