• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Umbrella & Travel Gear for early Spring / Late Winter

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
I am looking at purchasing an umbrella for walking Camino Frances in mid March.

Does anyone have a specific model they would recommend?

Also, is there any gear you feel is crucial to a late winter/ early spring walk?

Thanks,

Deb

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I bought mine from a China Bazaar in Pamplona when I noticed all the locals were clutching one. It has an Italian sounding name but a made in China label. Its done four caminos now and seems to enjoy the trip. I rarely use poles though I do sometimes cut a staff.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Also, is there any gear you feel is crucial to a late winter/ early spring walk?

Thanks,

Deb
Deb, my dear sister, I walked the Frances, beginning 8 April 2012. I took nothing "extra", just warm clothes for the pyrannes, which I LITERALLY had to discard (take off), as I began walking into the Mesata. Just plan as normal, keep a nice summer hat with you... you'd be fine and fit. Shorts of course, walking sandals, make sure u have enough water ALWAYS on the Mesata, something to nibble of course, and a heart full of joy. You're ready to go. Buen Camino :) Caesar

The only umbrellas I saw on my Camino in September were broken by the wind and thrown in a trash can.

Have a look at senz.com
Their brollies are a weird shape designed to withstand up to 100kms/hour but much lighter than standard shapes that need a strong frame to resist being blown inside out.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Have a look at senz.com
Their brollies are a weird shape designed to withstand up to 100kms/hour but much lighter than standard shapes that need a strong frame to resist being blown inside out.

I bought my wife one of those. It lasted maybe a month.

I bought my wife one of those. It lasted maybe a month.
I had got all enthusiastic, saw the video, found a store, had myself convinced that one of these umbrellas would be ideal in the sun and rain along the Camino Portuguese.
Now back to reality, why didn't it last more than a month?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Yes, what happened? I've had one for ages without probs. Can't claim to have tested the 100mph claim, I wouldn't venture out in wind as strong as that. But it's stood up to winds that have blown out normal brollies.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If I recall correctly (this was 7-8 years ago, I think, when the things were first produced -- they were developed by people at Delft University, just down the road from me) the material came loose from the frame.

I had thought it might double as a cattle prod and something to hide behind in a dog attack and with the aerodynamic shape float down "the way". I want a model that has the latest "light-emitting active camouflage systems which allow the colours and patterns to be changed to match the background.

If I recall correctly (this was 7-8 years ago, I think, when the things were first produced -- they were developed by people at Delft University, just down the road from me) the material came loose from the frame.
Sorry, I edited my post to add the last sentence for clarification probably before you replied. (Just to make full disclosure, don't think it's material). I've had mine for a couple of years. The odd shape does take a bit of getting used to, but it's worked for me.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Thanks,

Deb

I had an Euroschirm umbrella on the VdlP, worked wonders against the sun and protected me and my pack from the rain, too (I didn't take a rain jacket or poncho). Brilliant piece of equipment I thoroughly recommend BUT.....
That was VdlP in June.....
I really don't think it would work on the CF in March, it's just too windy on so many stretches? (I may be totally wrong of course, who can predict the weather?)
For what it's worth, if you really want an umbrella, I'd buy a cheap one locally in one of the Chinese shops.
Buen camino Deb :)

Have you looked at the Euroschirm? It has an extended handle and clips for fastening it to your rucksack straps, so you can still use your poles. There's also a UV-protection option.
I'll second the Euroshirm recommendation. I have a 5 year old GoLite Chrome Dome (identical, same manufacturer) that I've used backpacking for sun and rain for 150+ days in that time frame. The "chrome" coating is mostly worn off through normal wear, and I'll be replacing it after this summer's camino with a new Euroshirm. It's a straight pole (not collapsing) and isn't damaged if it gets flipped inside out in a hard wind. My experience is it takes a really strong wind or wild gust to do it, but it does happen. Fortunately, no harm/no foul.

Given mid-March into April, you won't need it nearly as much for sun protection, and the safer bet might be to assume (and plan for) more wind than less.

Have a look at senz.com
I found 440 grams on their website. It ought to be bombproof for that much weight.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Camino Debrita:

I have a Euroschirm Telescope trekking umbrella with all the fixings that I bought to try for my 2015 Camino. I did not use it enough to warrant keeping it around. So, it sits in storage.

I am more than willing to sell it, and can post it to you from FL. Send me a PM if you are interested. This applies to ANYONE out there who is interested as well.

BTW the umbrella is reflective silver on top, and black everywhere else. I have the carry case and all the attachment hardware. I may even have the owner manual around somewhere. Here is the best price I found for a new one:

https://jet.com/product/detail/66b6...FF1aD32bMNncqgjLD2IqeZLRdH4QsuX1zoaAteq8P8HAQ

They are asking USD 72, including free shipping and no tax. I will offer mine for USD 40, plus USPS priority mail, payable via PayPal. If interested, send me a PM with address. You can pay when you receive the item. I am easy that way.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Deb
I used a pair of bicycle gloves on the CF to prevent sunburn on my hands. A number of pilgrims commented that they wished they had done the same. The gloves do not weigh very much and I was very glad I took them.

BTW, IMHO, carry only a back pack cover to keep it dry. Do not carry a poncho. As others have said, you will experience rain and wind. Ponchos do not behave well in high winds.
Another thought, I always wore a light-weight, long sleeve shirt next to my skin and a short sleeve shirt on top of that (during April/May 2015). It was easy to remove the short sleeve shirt if I became too warm. I was worried about too much sun exposure on my northern European heritage skin.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I buy my stick umbrella in Spain each year for under €10.
They are sturdy, lightweight, and work just great in wind, rain, and sun!

Hi Deb,
I'm returning to the Meseta and Galicia in early April, and there's a questionable brolly on my packlist, depending on the last minute 14-day forecast! I won't walk with it (I use two poles), but I would prefer it to my voluminous (but loved) Altus poncho for downpours aprés-walking in towns. I have a super-strong mini (like a very small Tote, and only 110gm!) that I bought in the great little Japanese shop Muji, but they don't seem to stock it anymore and they're not in Oregon, I think--so, I'm no help at all! Much love to Canby and the few remaining barns in the Valley, from Silverton ;)

I used a pair of bicycle gloves on the CF to prevent sunburn on my hands. A number of pilgrims commented that they wished they had done the same. The gloves do not weigh very much and I was very glad I took them.

My son got prickly heat rash on the back of his hands. -- there was no shade in late march early april. The leaves were not out yet.-- The medical advice for prickly heat rash is to stay out of the sun, and avoid exertion. ha. -- So, we took a pair of socks and cut a hole in the heel for his thumb to come out and cut off the toe section for his fingers to come through and then we wet down the socks every half hour or so. The wet socks protected his hands from the sun and kept his skin cool and numb. --

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
White cotton gloves from a Chinese store along the way prevented the backs of my hands from being decidedly browner than the rest of me. And their wearing-white-gloves-classiness is definitely not matched by the rest of me!!

Thanks,

Deb
I've seen a lot of umbrellas on the Camino turn into rags by the wind. Once the wind comes up you'll be fighting to keep your footing and the umbrella in place. Look at getting a poncho or a rain jacket and pants.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back