• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Umbrella?

Jeb

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug/Sept 2016
I am considering carrying an UV-type umbrella on the Camino (Frances). Are there any recommendations or experiences? How many people actually carry umbrellas?

Or is there a better way to protect oneself from the sun?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I do always and swear by them. Both for sun and rain. If you search the posts you will find links to "hands free" umbrellas and to YouTube videos showing how to make a hiking umbrella "hands free" to use with trekking sticks.

Hi there!

I walked in summer time and I think an umbrella is unnecessary weight.. Just my opinion!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think an umbrella is unnecessary weight.. Just my opinion!
I agree. I have taken one a couple of times, and it was great some evenings when it was raining. However, using trekking poles with it was not practical regardless of internet training videos. A bit of wind, and none of the stand alone techniques work!

I had 26 days of rain one May, and my PackA kept me much drier than any umbrella would have in rain like that. If the Italians got wet, it was from more a lack of proper gear than the absence of an umbrella! ;)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I always take an umbrella. It has proved more use under the hot sun than in the rain.

Ask a 100 pilgrims and you get 101 opinions. I never walked with an umbrella, and I don't think I ever will. I do not like holding stuff in my hands while I am walking and I never learned to properly use an umbrella when there is a strong wind blowing. I have a good sun hat protects me from the sun; and a good rain jacket (no poncho) that protects me from the rain.

Do it. Especially if you wear glasses. I had never thought of it until walkng el Norte and seeing super walkers carrying them. Did on the next walk and was happy to in the rain. Santa is going to see one of the reflective ones on my list this year.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I bought one that fastens to your head on an elasticated band. More for a talking point but its for the sun rather then the rain. Got it of eBay for a few euros. Jury is out on whether its useful but it's pretty small and light.

I bought one that fastens to your head on an elasticated band. More for a talking point but its for the sun rather then the rain. Got it of eBay for a few euros. Jury is out on whether its useful but it's pretty small and light.
I had one of these on my first and last Camino. First time it worked, because I had a backpack that did not have the pouch on top. But this year, after changing bags for a lighter model, one with the pouch on top, no such luck, as the bump got in the way of the umbrella ....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The heat and sun was so intense last September on the Camino de Madrid, I bought a cheap one at a "China Store". It REALLY helped.
I did let it go once on the CF though.

I have been using a hands free umbrella for years beats a hat and poncho anytime of the week :) and twice on Sunday's

Zzotte

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I usually carry a small umbrella and have found it very useful on days where there is rain but not strong wind. Much cooler than wearing a jacket. However they are useless in strong wind and a passing truck can turn them inside out and pretty much destroy them.

I've walked with an umbrella and without one. Actually like the feeling of being under cover that the umbrella offers, but it's not so useful in windy conditions.
A friend who has UV sensitivity and must stay out of the sun always takes hers. We could tell the time without a watch, depending on when the umbrella came out. For her, it was a total lifesaver and made the camino possible. And as you can see form the attached pic, sometimes it's the only shade around...
If you don't like having to hold an umbrella, another friend had a German treking umbrella that clipped somehow to the pack...so a hands-free operation.

Attachments

• IMG_7999 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_7999 - Copy.JPG
    291.5 KB · Views: 11
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Which one do you have ? The Schwim?

I think you mean Schirm yes I have been using this German umbrella for years my has a silver coating on the outside great protection from the sun and its sold by Eberhard Gobels USA, www.eurochirm.com its a bit expensive and the weight is 11 oz but the benefits and quality you can beat it.

zzotte

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
That looks so nice, for all the days/months there is no shade. Just when I think I'm out of excuses for new gear shopping......

You're welcome!

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.