• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Umbrellas

Sjp007

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 St James
2020 St James
I’ll be walking the CF in July/Aug again this year and am considering bringing a UV umbrella. I didn’t bring one a few years ago and there were times when I really wished for shade.
Is it worth the extra weight? Comment only if you brought one please...or have an alternative suggestion

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I always use one. My original was the GoLite Chrome Dome and I finally replaced it after about 9 years due to wear and tear. New one is from Gossamer Gear and included the hands-free attachment (appears to work better than my prior gerry-rig).

I used it on both Caminos. The first was very rainy and moderately windy. Worked very well. Used it on my second with many days of very high heat (40+ C), and I found that, even with the silver reflective coating, the umbrella eventually heated up and then acted like a focused radiator for heat onto my head, which defeated the shade purposes. Other than that one extreme, I have used it as a staple of my backpacking gear (I live in Colorado, next to the Rockies).

Oh, and seeing you are from Canada, I would also note that I ALWAYS bring my Tilley too.

Last edited:
Have never brought or bought an “UV” umbrella. Always buy a standard umbrella from the first “China” store I encounter. Have done ever since the very first time I ever visited Galicia and realized that the natives are born clutching one. To me those 350 - 500g are worth every ounce 😉 and have served me well in sunshine and in rain. Including when being held as a horizontal shield against the sleet laden winds of a March Meseta.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I always use one. My original was the GoLite Chrome Dome and I finally replaced it after about 9 years due to wear and tear. New one is from Gossamer Gear and included the hands-free attachment (appears to work better than my prior gerry-rig).

I used it on both Caminos. The first was very rainy and moderately windy. Worked very well. Used it on my second with many days of very high heat (40+ C), and I found that, even with the silver reflective coating, the umbrella eventually heated up and then acted like a focused radiator for heat onto my head, which defeated the shade purposes. Other than that one extreme, I have used it as a staple of my backpacking gear (I live in Colorado, next to the Rockies).

Oh, and seeing you are from Canada, I would also note that I ALWAYS bring my Tilley too.
Can you bring this one with your carryon on the plane?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’ll be walking the CF in July/Aug again this year and am considering bringing a UV umbrella. I didn’t bring one a few years ago and there were times when I really wished for shade.
Is it worth the extra weight? Comment only if you brought one please...or have an alternative suggestion
I use the Euroschirm trekking umbrella. It is definitely worth the weight in the height of Summer, especially as I don’t bring a poncho when I carry the umbrella.
I think it is also sold in the forum shop?

Since I use trekking poles I like the Euroschrim hands free umbrella. Definitely worth the weight on the Meseta!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I love having an umbrella with me. I brought a very light, inexpensive folding one. And after it died, I bought another cheap folding umbrella (I think that was on my 3rd camino) On my last trip I figured out how to tie it to my shoulder straps so that I didn't have to hold it. I like being able to take my hat off when I am hot and have the umbrella for shade.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I carried a small cheap umbrella on my 10 day Camino starting in Leon last October . And I would take it again We had lots of days with drizzle and one day of heavy rain . it was great to have the umbrella in the drizzle as I could leave my raincoat hood down and keep dry with the umbrella and it was terrific to have the umbrella in the downpours as I am sure it helped keep my feet dry. I did not have to deal with any wind which might have been difficult . I did have some sore muscles in my arms from holding the umbrella for hours on the day of downpour rain.

I do not carry an umbrella on camino but on my first camino I observed a pilgrim carrying a large black umbrella, possibly purchased, like Tinkatinker's, at a chino shop. He was moving smoothly through the puddles of a recent rainfall, using his umbrella as a walking stick.

Have never brought or bought an “UV” umbrella. Always buy a standard umbrella from the first “China” store I encounter. Have done ever since the very first time I ever visited Galicia and realized that the natives are born clutching one. To me those 350 - 500g are worth every ounce 😉 and have served me well in sunshine and in rain. Including when being held as a horizontal shield against the sleet laden winds of a March Meseta.
Me, too, Tinky! Cheap is good enough...it's like buying them on an installment plan...pitch when done and replace with a fresh one on the next camino.
That said, I have never walked in the heat of summer.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, I think they're worthwhile. I carry a Senz telescopic one (10" collapsed) with UV silver coating. The coating was starting to wear at the frame "elbows" after a lot of use last summer (we had sun, in the UK!) so gave it an all over spray with silver fabric paint - worked a treat!

Stand in the rain in any decent sized town in Spain or Italy holding a €5 note and there’ll be an umbrella vendor along before you can count to ten.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Stand in the rain in any decent sized town in Spain or Italy holding a €5 note and there’ll be an umbrella vendor along before you can count to ten.
First Camino, arrived at Monte de Gozo in brilliant sunshine. Should we stay here and march into town tomorrow or go now?
We carried on.
Next day it was overcast.
Wonder why everybody is carrying an umbrella?
The rain didn't stop for 3 days.
☔

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I went in there once . . . .
The staff are really nice - I saw an umbrella I liked and asked the price, £475 the man said, softly.

It’s nice to know there are still shops selling products not pumped out of a far-eastern mega factory for pennies.

I went into a well known tailors in central London long ago when I had more money than sense.

‘I need a pair of trousers’ I declared.

The ‘assistant’ looked me up and down, very slowly, and without a hint of a smile said ‘Yes Sir, I believe you do’.

A good deal of money changed hands, but I still love my trousers from ‘Gieves the thieves’.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So Nicholas Crane says in "Clear Waters Rising", his 1996 book about walking from Santiago to Istanbul. The name came from the business card of the umbrella factory in Santiago.

View attachment 70084
Just pulled my copy off the bookshelf, but couldn’t find the reference. He certainly gets one from James Smith in one of his books - I’ll take Tinca’s and your word for it and bow to your superior umbrella knowledge!

Last edited:
So Nicholas Crane says in "Clear Waters Rising", his 1996 book about walking from Santiago to Istanbul. The name came from the business card of the umbrella factory in Santiago.

View attachment 70084
On page 8 of my copy (Penguin 1997 paperback - I know I’m a philistine) last paragraph, I quote:

‘...we had to travel clandestinely under the umbrella of the local mujaheddin.’

A metaphorical umbrella, perhaps, but predating either of our thoughts.

Good night all.

A good deal of money changed hands, but I still love my trousers from ‘Gieves the thieves’.
The only time I have had the experience of bespoke tailoring at an eye-watering price was when being measured and fitted for service dress and mess kit by Goldings, a famous military tailors. When Her Majesty and I parted company I no longer needed them and passed them on to a colleague of the same size and shape. Not much call for a mess jacket or No.1 hat when painting the bathroom or unblocking the sink :)

€83,-
The only time I have had the experience of bespoke tailoring at an eye-watering price was when being measured and fitted for service dress and mess kit by Goldings, a famous military tailors. When Her Majesty and I parted company I no longer needed them and passed them on to a colleague of the same size and shape. Not much call for a mess jacket or No.1 hat when painting the bathroom or unblocking the sink :)

Regardless of the quality, they must shrink. I still have my mess jacket which used to fit me like a glove. No longer, sadly.

One of my main pieces of kit on any hike, whether wilderness or camino-like! Sun and rain so dual purpose too.

Always carry an ultra-light umbrella anyway, so it's worth the extra grams. Does away with needing one of those big ponchos too.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Re Nicholas Crane: if you don't know this book, it's highly recommended for walking enthusiasts. I recently re-read it and reviewed it on my blog:

I have bought one because I am tired of the lightweight/cheap ones blowing inside out (plus they take long time to put up or take down in windy weather). However - the Davek standard one is much heavier than I'd like for the Camino. I'm still wondering what to do! Not much help, i'm afraid! But it looks a superb umbrella for use at home - through we've not had rain for months in Perth.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's only an umbrella when it rains! It's true worth is as a "parasol".
Saves on sun cream and I find it cooler than wearing a cap or hat.

Attachments

• 20190430_145802.jpg
    20190430_145802.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
These umbrellas kept popping up on the ads on this site a while ago, they are made in the USA https://davek.co.uk/products/the-davek-mini with a lifetime guarantee look very compact, has anyone tried them?
If you are going to get something heavier anyway, consider the Euroschirm handsfree telescope umbrella. The design of the umbrella and the clips that you use to attach it to your backpack make it very stable to usehhands free, abd easy to a attach/detach from your backpack.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My eldest brother was one of that last generation to do National Service (with the RAF in his case) in the UK. On being demobbed his denims (RAF overalls) and beret were put to use while painting and decorating while his kit bag was used to store coal (I got his beret badge). Imagine his panic when a World Crisis was declared and he was put on notice that he might be recalled to duty . . . in the end Armageddon was averted and he never had to visit the local military surplus store for replacements.

Wouldn't be without mine now! My own personal shade is fantastic.
Helps stay cooler and cuts down water consumption.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Can you bring this one with your carryon on the plane?
It's long enough that it could be an fit issue, but i'd need to measure to be sure. I've always checked it with my poles in a mailing tube.

I carry a very small totes umbrella when I travel. It was very helpful on my 2018 CP in April/May. I attached it to my backpack. I researched umbrellas for my 2019 July/August CP. I chose the Mont-bell. It has reflective coating. I attached it to my backpack. I used Pacer Poles this CP. I wanted lite and small as I carry it in a bag also when I walk. We walked as tourists in Europe after the CP. I also use a hat sometimes, my head gets too hot for a hat at times. It was during the heatwave. I like my own personal shade. So for me umbrellas and a hat are essential.

I always carry an umbrella and started carrying an umbrella walking the Pacific Crest trail in the Northwest USA. My current one is the montbell ultralight and I have purchased the gossamer gear clips which are a little easier to connect the umbrella to your it for hands-free then the velcro I used to use. Putting a piece of foam pipe insulation the bottom of the umbrella and using two velcro pieces works very well you don't want to buy clips. I use the umbrella for light rain when I'm not sure how much rain I'm going to get. it's on the outside of my pack needs easier to get out then my rain gear and if the rain starts to get heavier I duck inside a building or under shelter and put on my rain jacket and rain skirt. But I use it most often for shade. using an umbrella is cooler than wearing a hat and your head doesn't sweat. I have usually taken the reflective version but last Camino I took a light-colored umbrella and compared the coolness of it and my husband's reflective umbrella and reflective umbrella was way better in the heat. Perhaps a dark umbrella would have worked better but I let the joy of seeing light blue skies ( aqua umbrella) in the rain sway my decision.
But I think the final decision lies within yourself. You read about trekking poles there are people that love them and the people that don't. I have noticed a lot of people use them wrong so maybe that's why. My final advice is to try using an umbrella while you walk at home or you will end up donating it while abroad. And my last final advice is to pick your umbrella down when the wind picks up because a cheap one and even some of the more expensive ones blow inside out and can break.
Good journey and have an adventure everything will be the way it's meant to be on your Camino.

I walked 4 Caminos, never without my Gossamer hiking umbrella, it was a life saver especially in August-meseta.

€83,-
Another happy Euroschirm hands-free umbrella user here. I used it every day on a May-June Camino Francés, usually from after the first coffee break until I stopped walking for the day.
No sweaty hat. Shade not only for my head but my whole upper body. Wouldn't want to hike without it under the Spanish sun. Oh, and useful for the occasional rain, too.

2017-06-01 11-58-50.jpg

Hello. I'm interested in how this works. I can see using an umbrella in the open areas where there's no trees, but when the trail narrows how do you keep it from hitting branches and other pilgrims? Often the rains come with high gusts of winds. How do you keep your umbrella under control when you're trying to keep both feet on the ground?

Hello. I'm interested in how this works. I can see using an umbrella in the open areas where there's no trees, but when the trail narrows how do you keep it from hitting branches and other pilgrims? Often the rains come with high gusts of winds. How do you keep your umbrella under control when you're trying to keep both feet on the ground?
I generally use my umbrella more for sun protection than rain.

I use it for both sun and rain.

I'm not bushwhacking, and the trees in the Rockies and the paths of the caminos I've walked (so far) tend to have their foliage higher than the trail. Thus, in practice, I find few issues. If things are tight enough that the umbrella will snag, they're tight enough that a poncho will too. Likewise, in practice, I've also found no issue with hitting other pilgrims.

As to gusts of wind, I'll often shift the umbrella into my hand and aim it into the wind. The particular ones I use (like the Euroshirm references above) have no metal hinges to break. The entire thing can be blown inside out and then turned back right side in without damage to the stays. The design compromise is that the handle and dome aren't collapsible down into a compact 8" to 12" length. Also, in hard or gusty winds, I resort to using only one walking pole for stability purposes only on ascents/descents (mostly that's all I use them for in the first place). With a bit of practice, you'll find it's not all that tough.

You can and it doesn't count as your "personal item" also.
Depending on the airline and its policy, if using one of the Euroshirm-style that doesn't collapse, it may be deemed "too long" --- not that it can't be made to fit as a carry on, but that it's an opportunity to charge a fee. Or, they may require you to gate check it and your pack, possibly also for a fee because these are no longer "carry on" baggage. The point being, check your airline policies and know what is or is not permitted in terms of length for cabin overhead and underseat.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My Euroschirm Telescoping model is.
I haven't seen that one. The models I've seen are all about 2ft / 60cm.

Are the stays metal? How well do they handle being blown inside out? The thing I like about the longer fixed model is there's almost nothing to break.

Edit: Looks to be about 18" or 19" collapsed, which would not trigger the issues of fit for airlines. It's about 130g heavier than my model, but has the advantage of a telescoping central shaft, which definitely permits more flexible positioning.

Last edited:
I haven't seen that one. The models I've seen are all about 2ft / 60cm.

Are the stays metal? How well do they handle being blown inside out? The thing I like about the longer model is there's almost nothing to break.
The ribs are fiberglass. Mine has blown inside out several times, and easily reverts.

The details are on the Euroschirm site

And Ivar has them in his store on sale right now

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Another happy Euroschirm hands-free umbrella user here. I used it every day on a May-June Camino Francés, usually from after the first coffee break until I stopped walking for the day.
No sweaty hat. Shade not only for my head but my whole upper body. Wouldn't want to hike without it under the Spanish sun. Oh, and useful for the occasional rain, too.

View attachment 70107
Awesome thanks for the pic as well

Depending on the airline and its policy, if using one of the Euroshirm-style that doesn't collapse, it may be deemed "too long" --- not that it can't be made to fit as a carry on, but that it's an opportunity to charge a fee. Or, they may require you to gate check it and your pack, possibly also for a fee because these are no longer "carry on" baggage. The point being, check your airline policies and know what is or is not permitted in terms of length for cabin overhead and underseat.
As far as American airlines I am ok with it.

I finally made the plunge and ordered a hiking umbrella! I live in the middle of nowhere so Amazon prime for us is a week. My hats were getting progressively larger and more flaps so only my eyes were peeking out. I ordered the six moon design compact. I plan on just using shock cord and locks, to make it hands free instead of buying just the two they had in their sets. Ill report back once I finally get to try it.

Edited to add: though the Cat Stevens song moonshadows has been stuck in my head all day. And I really only know like that one line....

Last edited:
Is it worth the extra weight?
It depends. If you are sensitive to sun or heat, absolutely.

I took one on my first camino and have left it off my list since as an encumbrance, but a friend will not walk a camino without one, because she couldn't. You know yourself best and know where on that spectrum you land.

Umbrellas are great idea if you are walking during the summer months. Especially with the heat and pockets of the meseta without shade. There are umbrellas that attach to backpacks and are designed for long distance hikers with weight in mind. Some brands that come to mind are Gossamer Gear and Six moons designs.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.