• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Umissable experiences

Thomr

Later this year I'm walking from Porto with my sister and Dad who turns 60 this year and as part of his present I'm making him a scrapbook ready for him to put his pictures in and I'm also going to put in some money for some 'unmissable' Camino Portuguese experiences but never having walked this route before I'm not sure what they would be! I'm thinking having some of the peppers in padron would be one but would appreciate any other suggestions. Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you are in Padrón, visit Pepe's bar for a breakfast or just a drink at night.. Great time. Good laugh. Ask where Pepe's bar is it is on the caminho route through Padrón

Said before by many. Sleep one night at casa da Fernanda but find your info at his forum..
Visit th church Bom Jesus do Mont in Braga by staying another day in Barcelos and use that day to make this detour by bus without backpack

Not unmissable but you have to ! Alto de Portela the mountain offroad track between Ponte de Lima and Rubiaes.. Tough day to walk that track.

If you start in Lisbon there are many nice experiences.

Bom caminho

In Galicia, I can recommend the local wine and food in the Furancho in Mos (o Xuquiño, I believe it was called). The home made food is SPECTACULAR. Arcade, Pontesampaio, is famous for its oysters if you like them. There is a hot water spa in Caldas de Reis... plus all the experiences you will live along the way!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Pontevedra's a favourite town, but I would not miss the Padron Market. It's big. No...I mean it's really BIG. You need to be a fit pilg just to walk around it. Alone, the tents selling boiled octopus would qualify as a huge market where I live.

Excited for you guys

Rob

Many of the "unmissable" things simply cannot be bought. That would include walking over the bridge from Portugal to Spain [at Tui], enjoying a thousand churches and wayside crosses which reflect the history of the Camino, and building up a loving, camino 'family'.
Read up as much as you can about the route and simply enjoy it!
Pilgrimage I and Pilgrimage III on my web site include downloadable "Word" format diaries of both sections of the Camino Portuguese, with photos.
Buen camino!

Joven Vinho - the youngPortuguese wine served in many small restaurants as part of the menu del dia - it can be quite delicious and usually included in the price!
If any of you has a huge carnivorous appetite - I would urge you to try a 'Francesinho' in Porto - any cafeteria will serve it. If you are not of huge appetite - share one between all of you! It is a massive stack of different meats, bread, egg, cheese, tomato gravy and chips - it really has to be seen/tasted to be believed! Santiago tarte - mmm. The cheese shaped like breasts might titivate your Dad at Santiago!
At Caldas de Reis don't forget to bathe your feet in the hot public fountain (natural hot spring water)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One of the best experiences that I have from my first Portuguese caminho is walking inside the church of Rates, one of the simplest churches that I've ever been. It's so peaceful and quiet, that I regret for not staying in there a little bit more.

Best Regards
Diogo

Greetings from Jerusalem! Tomar and on the hill above the town the Templar Convento de Cristo. I must also mention the Synagogue and the Jewish museum-last remnants of our long history all but obliterated in Portugal. Sweet little town in itself.

Greetings from Jerusalem! Tomar and on the hill above the town the Templar Convento de Cristo. I must also mention the Synagogue and the Jewish museum-last remnants of our long history all but obliterated in Portugal. Sweet little town in itself.

The Synagogue and Jewish museum is in Tomar ?? Just confirming.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Don't miss the rather fine stamp for your pilgrim's passport at San Pedro de Rates, available from the village store. It involves a minor technical process which is unusual. I won't say any more than that!
and I add to your remark. ingenious !!;) Tom !

Later this year I'm walking from Porto with my sister and Dad who turns 60 this year and as part of his present I'm making him a scrapbook ready for him to put his pictures in and I'm also going to put in some money for some 'unmissable' Camino Portuguese experiences but never having walked this route before I'm not sure what they would be! I'm thinking having some of the peppers in padron would be one but would appreciate any other suggestions. Thanks!
my sister an I surprised dad on his 60th with a back pack a guide book and the promise of a ticket to spain he was shocked and delighted [rest of family were shocked/horrified that we would risk it ] [at his age] we had the best time ever dad got so much joy from that trip ,I cant even put it into words , just walking and chatting like friends will be priceless and allowing him to be a free man that is still capable of having an adventure will be worth the world to him ,:)regardless of the route I think the best bit is he is traveling with daughters that love him and CHOOSE to spend this time together,we met a few people that said to dad how surprised they were that his daughters really WANTED to spend so much time with him,sorry I am rambling but my point is just doing this is pricless :) enjoy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Jewish museum in Tomar is open during the summer months only, we sons of Abraham have connections and it can be opened by request-my backpack, my diary and all my notes from that Camino were lost by Iberia on the flight home and I cannot remember who or how I was able to visit. Persevere! This is Portugal and like the rules of the road for their drivers, many things there are only a "recommendation" laws, regulations and accepted rule may be extremely flexible.

The Jewish museum in Tomar is open during the summer months only, we sons of Abraham have connections and it can be opened by request-my backpack, my diary and all my notes from that Camino were lost by Iberia on the flight home and I cannot remember who or how I was able to visit. Persevere! This is Portugal and like the rules of the road for their drivers, many things there are only a "recommendation" laws, regulations and accepted rule may be extremely flexible.

Many thanks for this info......I will make Tomar and the museum a definite stop on my way.....and will try to find out who is the holder of the key between now and when I walk. (I start on 20th April)

** Fiddlesticks, just realized Tomar is between Lisbon - Porto...and I start from Porto. Still good to know, maybe I will have opportunity to visit in the future.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of this info - I'he included a lot of these things in his scrapbook either as pictures or an envelope with a couple of euros toward something. I've made a note of others to just take him too as a surprise! Really getting excited now about seeing/experiencing this route

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Rachael
nice one!
I like the pictures of the Confraternity of St James, especially, 'The Confraternity's Secretary hard at work' ;)
Re: gift/memory box - you must paint it yellow!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back