• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Unattended Pack

1elantra

Time of past OR future Camino
way of St James
Hi all.
Curious to know what others do with their packs when they arrive at the accommodation each night. Appears alit of places dont have a secure locker. Seeing as alot of posts warn not to leave your stuff unattended, wonderful what you do if you want to look around the town after checkin.
Im booked for my first 2 nights in SJPP before I walk, but theres no lockers. Obviously dont want to go out and have to worry about my pack. Im considering booking a private room somewhere, but will be costly. Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
alot of posts warn not to leave your stuff unattended
These warnings are focused on your valuables - electronics, money, passport, etc. - which should always be within your sight, preferably attached to your body. Most people leave their backpacks with sleeping bags, clothes, etc., unattended in the albergue when they go out. Those items are less attractive to thieves and are easier to replace anyway. Although thefts from albergues are quite rare, they can happen. Don't bring and leave unattended any items of great value to you.

Most carry another small (purse sized) bag with the sad to lose or difficult to replace items. But of course that is very much a case of all your eggs in one basket, so watch it closely.

And if you are planning to have your bags transported, I would advise not leaving anything in them of value at all. I lost count of the times I saw bags lined up on the sidewalk without any oversight at all, just waiting for a pickup... by whomever.

Theft, overall, is not very common. "An ounce of protection" comes to mind when I think about it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
These warnings are focused on your valuables - electronics, money, passport, etc. - which should always be within your sight, preferably attached to your body. Most people leave their backpacks with sleeping bags, clothes, etc., unattended in the albergue when they go out. Those items are less attractive to thieves and are easier to replace anyway. Although thefts from albergues are quite rare, they can happen. Don't bring and leave unattended any items of great value to you.
Thank you. Have travelled a bit so know not to leave important things anywhere. Was just curious how bad it may be and I did give thought to my pack being transfered. As long as they leave me a clean pair of socks & knickers, Ill cope.
Cheers 🤭

Most carry another small (purse sized) bag with the sad to lose or difficult to replace items. But of course that is very much a case of all your eggs in one basket, so watch it closely.

And if you are planning to have your bags transported, I would advise not leaving anything in them of value at all. I lost count of the times I saw bags lined up on the sidewalk without any oversight at all, just waiting for a pickup... by whomever.

Theft, overall, is not very common. "An ounce of protection" comes to mind when I think about it.
Thanks very much. Appreciate it

If you are traveling by long distance busses , be aware that your backpack will be stored in the underneath luggage compartment.
Arriving at a busstation, you sit and wait in the bus to continue to your destination , the compartments are unattended and widely opened in a public area.
so I allways go out the bus and attend my belongings from a distance.
it is not the first time that backpacks are stolen in this way Besides that with a hook I connect my wife’s backpack and mine to each other so it is a bit more hassle to get it stolen in a split second.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you are traveling by long distance busses , be aware that your backpack will be stored in the underneath luggage compartment.
Arriving at a busstation, you sit and wait in the bus to continue to your destination , the compartments are unattended and widely opened in a public area.
so I allways go out the bus and attend my belongings from a distance.
it is not the first time that backpacks are stolen in this way Besides that with a hook I connect my wife’s backpack and mine to each other so it is a bit more hassle to get it stolen in a split second.
Oh I didnt know that, thanks. Im travelling solo so thinking of taking a small strap which I can lock, but maybe thats in the extreme.

We always carried our packs with us until the albergue opened and then carried valuables as we explored after we checked in, got a shower, etc. At a bar you may see packs stacked outside, but we tried not to stop at one where we could not be closeby. You pack will likely be unattended if you ship it via bag transport as well so never leave anything you can't replace in it when shipping.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all.
Curious to know what others do with their packs when they arrive at the accommodation each night. Appears alit of places dont have a secure locker. Seeing as alot of posts warn not to leave your stuff unattended, wonderful what you do if you want to look around the town after checkin.
Im booked for my first 2 nights in SJPP before I walk, but theres no lockers. Obviously dont want to go out and have to worry about my pack. Im considering booking a private room somewhere, but will be costly. Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome. Thanks
Hi. I carry a small pack or squishable sack with me. When I leave an albergue I take my wallet, passport, phone and carry them with me. I even take that little sack to the shower when I am in an albergue. My assumption is that no one would really want my very well worn extra shirt, underwear or socks. And, if by some weird chance someone did steal that stuff, I would take that as a sign that I am ready for new. For me the issue is keeping wallet, phone, passport safe (and other things that you find critically important).

You will see LOTS of people say don't leave your VALUABLES unattended... but the majority of these same people do leave their packs unattended. We just don't leave any valuables in our packs.

Keep a bum bag/fanny pack or whatever it is called where you live... and keep your valuables with you at all times - even when you go to the shower/toilet and you will be fine. Yes - there is always a chance someone will steal something from your bag - but as long as your valuables are with you - everything else can be replaces. For the most part - pilgrims don't want anything to do with other pilgrim's dirty stinky clothes/backpacks haha...

Bum bags/fanny pack mark you as a tourist and are easy mark for pickpockets!

Keep valuables (passport/large bills/credit cards) in a money belt under your clothes. You can have a "disposable" wallet for convenience, but it should contain only with a small amount of cash.

-Paul

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Keep valuables (passport/large bills/credit cards) in a money belt under your clothes. You can have a "disposable" wallet for convenience, but it should contain only with a small amount of cash.

-Paul
...B.b.b.ut we are "Pilgrims on Camino with backpacks in Albergues", right? No need to mark me as a tourist :rolleyes:;)

I don't totally disagree with your statement although I've used the fannypack numerous times on my touristy trips (and actually used money belts as well). I think (and I strongly stress that its just my own musing on the subject) that having a money belt under your clothes and then perhaps have a backpack belt going on top of that would be uncomfortable - I know I would sweat a bucket and most likely cause myself some skin irrituation. A fannypack in that scenario would be better and more manageable

Besides - the issue here is what to do with your valuables when the backpack is dropped by your bunk and in that way - as many have pointed out - simply keep your valuables on yourself at all times no matter WHAT you put them into.

I have said this before, but wearing a fanny pack has more serious problems than announcing loudly to the European world that you are an American. While I have seen pilgrims desperately running backwards up the Camino to retrieve a fanny pack they left on a hook in a toilet stall, I have never seen a pilgrim running backwards up the Camino to retrieve their pants.

People do not realize how their judgment is affected by long hours of walking. When you are physically tired, your brain is tired. If you do not want to leave your valuables behind, have them in your pants pockets. No matter how tired you get, you will remember to wear your pants in public.

Last edited:
I have said this before, but wearing a fanny pack has more serious problems than announcing loudly to the European world that you are an American. While I have seen pilgrims desperately running backwards up the Camino to retrieve a fanny pack they left on a hook in a toilet stall, I have never seen a pilgrim running backwards up the Camino to retrieve their pants.

People do not realize how their judgment is affected by long hours of walking. When you are physically tired, your brain is tired. If you do not want to leave your valuables behind, have them in your pants pockets. No matter how tired you get, you will remember not to resume walking in your underwear.
🤣🤣🤣

They should have left the fanny pack/bumbag/waist pack on while they were in the bathroom!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In The Way Martin Sheen's pack gets stolen while unattended outside a bar. I left my pack with others while getting coffee or food from a bar and didn't have a problem. Especially when others where doing the same and in small towns not the cities. I'm not sure if there have been incidents though.

People do not realize how their judgment is affected by long hours of walking. When you are physically tired, your brain is tired. If you do not want to leave your valuables behind, have them in your pants pockets. No matter how tired you get, you will remember not to resume walking in your underwear.
Which brings up a good point when buying shorts or pants. Make sure you can fit your stuff in the pockets. Nothing worse than them being just too small to fit your phone or whatever.
Good pockets can be hard to find..

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all.
Although I have heard of it happening, I have never had any problem with leaving my belongings unattended. I carry a cloth tote bag from Dublin airport to carry my wallet containing my credencial and passport. I used to carry them in my cargo pocket but in two days of rain my trousers got so wet my credencial got wet and the ink on a few stamps ran. I and many others have left their phones and power banks charging while unattended with no problem. In general, no pilgrim touches other pilgrims belongings but unfortunately there are unscrupulous people everywhere, even on the camino so always carry your two most important items. Your pilgrim passport and national passport. Your backpack and dirty laundry will be safe enough. The only incident I personally know off of a pack being stolen was in the movie.

one more story to share about luggage to keep in mind
last year I was on my way to Santiago to do voluntary work at the Pilgrims office.
Booked an “expensive “ flight with our national Dutch “pride KLM ,Royal Dutch Airlines From Amsterdam to Porto in Portugal.
I did not use my backpack but a small suitcase to be locked up with a zipper. I took this suitcase with me many years and on many flights before as cabin luggage.
checking in it was very busy and hectic and there was lack of safety staff so security controls took a long time and there were long cues to check in and to get into the departure hall.
I got my boarding card from the KLM ground stewardess and went off.But the employee called me back and at the very last moment she ordered me to put the suitcase on the belt and she said it was not allowed to take it with me into the cabin.
complaining did not help. This woman decided. Period . After getting an extra ticket for my luggage I went into the security line .
Later at the gate I noticed lots of people with the same size of suitcases and even bigger to embark the plane to Porto.
Arriving in Porto from leaving the aircraft I could follow my suitcase coming out of the plane , placed on a trailer and it arrived at the same time as I reached the collecting area.
Going to the metro and the train I discovered that a kind of a criminal worker at Schiphol airport had opened the suitcase in the luggage basement and took my valuables out.( read 250€)
Complaining at KLM , making protocol at the airport police later nor a letter to the big CEO of this corrupt KLM company did work. KLM’s advised assurance as I bought
at the time of booking did not cover valuables in the luggage. From then on I decided not to fly again with this Royal😝 airliner nor never flying from Amsterdam airport.
what was the lesson. Keep the luggage as small as possible so there is no doubt about checking it in as cabin luggage and even then keep valuables on your body .
At the time that it happened the luggage workers were complaining they had to work too hard and were not paid enough and were preparing strikes. And obviously they compensated that by stealing out of belongings of passengers.
It can happen to you with your backpack too.

By the way. Flying back with this “Mickey Mouse “ airliner from Porto there wasn’t any problem to get my suitcase into the cabin .

Last edited:
In The Way Martin Sheen's pack gets stolen while unattended outside a bar. I left my pack with others while getting coffee or food from a bar and didn't have a problem. Especially when others where doing the same and in small towns not the cities. I'm not sure if there have been incidents though.
Left mine in the line outside albergue in Burgos more than once along with 50 or so others, never a problem apart from one German guy who moved packs so that he could insert his closer to the door. He had history of line jumping so we were all sitting at the bar opposite waiting to see what he would do.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

You don't have to be a pilgrim to leave your stuff behind someplace...ahem...teenaged daughters...just hang your waist pouch on the door of the restroom, so you have to grab it to get out. Hand it from your knee at the table in a fast food joint or restaurant, so you can't get up without grabbing it. :)

"I carry a cloth tote bag from Dublin airport to carry my wallet containing my credencial and passport. I used to carry them in my cargo pocket but in two days of rain my trousers got so wet my credencial got wet and the ink on a few stamps ran. "
You didn't have the credencial in a ziplock bag while in your pocket? I always put mine in something that will keep it dry, because not only will my waist pack maybe get rained on, the water bottle I carry may sweat all over the pouch in the bargain.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Money belts should be put on with your underwear and you will never forget either of them!

Money belts are uncomfortable to wear. But that is nothing compared to the uncomfortable days spent at US embassy in Madrid, trying to get a replacement for a stolen passport and cancelling stolen credit cards. My vacation days are precious and waiting at an embassy is not a good use of my time.

-Paul

Money belts should be put on with your underwear and you will never forget either of them!

Money belts are uncomfortable to wear. But that is nothing compared to the uncomfortable days spent at US embassy in Madrid, trying to get a replacement for a stolen passport and cancelling stolen credit cards. My vacation days are precious and waiting at an embassy is not a good use of my time.
To the best of my knowledge, I've never had my pockets picked. But there were definitely three attempts. I've never been mugged, either, but the few times I wore a money belt, I kept wondering whether reaching into my pants for it identified me as a target.

I don’t think I would leave my phone to charge while on the town. Charger maybe with a battery pack in it, but not the phone. My phone charges overnight in my sleeping bag attached to the battery pack. Whilst in town, I carry my valuables in a sling bag over my shoulder, inthe shower valuables are in a dry bag.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You didn't have the credencial in a ziplock bag while in your pocket? I always put mine in something that will keep it dry, because not only will my waist pack maybe get rained on, the water bottle I carry may sweat all over the pouch in the bargain.
Naw, it was my first camino and I hadnt the wit to check if my wallet was waterproof. Always used a plastic bag thereafter. Unfortunately, on one occasion, I had the price of the albergue in there also. when I got up from lunch to go pay, the coins had fallen out through a hole in the bottom. This pilgrim just cant win LOL

I didn't have a fannypack at all while on Camino but boy-oh-boy the number of shampoo bottles I left in the showers....
Thank you, CW; they came in handy for me on a few occasions! 😅
They should have left the fanny pack/bumbag/waist pack on while they were in the bathroom!
Why not just leave it on your waist??
Exactly! That is the purpose of a waist bag on the Camino. If a woman can use the bathroom without taking it off, surely a man can do the same.🙄
I never hang it on a hook or on the corner of my bunk.

People do not realize how their judgment is affected by long hours of walking. When you are physically tired, your brain is tired. If you do not want to leave your valuables behind, have them in your pants pockets. No matter how tired you get, you will remember to wear your pants in public.
As a woman, I find it extremely hard to find pants with adequate pockets--they are much shallower (and often fewer) than on men's pants. I had no problem using a waist pack, and when you are on the Camino, you are marked as "not from around here" no matter where you put your passport.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I have watched a few YouTubes on pickpockets in order to help prepare myself, the pocket of your pants might not be the best option. I would recommend a waistband money belt or a fanny pack, but when you stop into any washrooms do not remove either, I cannot imagine that they would be an inconvenience while using the toilet. Certainly not as much inconvenience as losing all your valuables. Just my thoughts from watching YouTube which might be useful to you as well. Good luck.

Hi all.
An apple air tag is handy if you plan to have your bag transported. Then you can carry a small pack with essentials and valuables with you. And you know exactly where your big pack is and you can follow it on your phone to your destination. I was really glad I had that air tag!

Hi all.
I've never locked my pack up. I just leave it on my bed. Three Caminos and no one has taken anything. I just bring my wallet and passport with me, so there's nothing of real value. People are generally honest on the Camino, and if you obsess over whether someone will take your stuff, it sort of keeps you from achieving "Camino Enlightenment"... Don't bring anything too valuable and don't worry about it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I always wonder, *who* would steal my backpack?

After a few days of wearing it, it's already sweaty, stinky, covered in dust, filled with dirty clothes and potentially carrying bed bugs. After a few weeks, even if you wash it, a certain smell and many of the stains just stick to it. So the answer I gave to myself is "nobody would want this" and without much worry left it alone in front of bars, supermarkets, albergues ect.

My valuables always stay on person, so there's not really a risk.

(Unless you have a shiny new expensive brand pack that has some value on its own and looks as if it might contain things of value also. Solution: pour half a liter of red wine over it, rub that in with some dirt, and hang a pair of smelly socks on the outside of the pack. A half rotten bocadillo or a squished banana in one of the easily accessable compartments where usually people keep wallet or phone. Voila, theft control activated).

In Burgos at the bus station I wanted to leave my pack outside the sanitary building, as usual, but a nice spanish lady told me I needed to take it with me *into the stall* or it would be stolen. I tried to explain that I wasn't worried, with that thing having the smell of thousands of kms from carrying it during several heat waves, it also weighing several tons (difficult to just take and run, thieves wouldn't get far) and all, but with my poor spanish of course that didn't work. She insisted.

So there I was, trying to squeeze the full 75l backpack with a tent and sleeping pad mounted on top of it with me into the tiny stall, which took several minutes to accomplish. Then when I was finally inside, I had to balance it on top of me while sitting on the toilet, because it didn't fit into the stall otherwise, and I *really* didn't want to set it onto the floor there, anyway...

So, that lady meant well I'm sure (she did nod and smile *mission accomplished, pilgrim/backpack saved* when I finally managed to squeeze myself out of there again and she saw me outside with the pack. So, thank you, but...

never again 🤣.

Last edited:
I've never locked my pack up. I just leave it on my bed. Three Caminos and no one has taken anything. I just bring my wallet and passport with me, so there's nothing of real value. People are generally honest on the Camino, and if you obsess over whether someone will take your stuff, it sort of keeps you from achieving "Camino Enlightenment"... Don't bring anything too valuable and don't worry about it.
Please do not leave it on the bed. One of the ways bedbugs find their way.
Put pack on ground or put in a drybag/garbagebag and then you can hang it on a bedpost.

We do not have to become paranoid but good old fashioned common sense is a good trait when sleeping in shared rooms.
I also do not walk a pilgrimage to find " Camino Enlightenment ".

Last edited:
So, that lady meant well I'm sure (she did nod and smile *mission accomplished, pilgrim/backpack saved* when I finally managed to squeeze myself out of there again and she saw me outside with the pack. So, thank you, but...
You did say it was Burgos? Maybe she'd seen the movie...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As a woman, I find it extremely hard to find pants with adequate pockets--they are much shallower (and often fewer) than on men's pants. I had no problem using a waist pack, and when you are on the Camino, you are marked as "not from around here" no matter where you put your passport.
No pockets in my pants but I do have some in my trousers.

I always wonder, *who* would steal my backpack?

They not looking for your stinky clothes in your backpack! Thieves are looking for passport, cash and credit cards from people that they observe getting these items in an out of their backpack.

If you keep your valuable in a money belt under your clothes, you can easily replace a stolen backpack full of dirty clothes.

-Paul

...B.b.b.ut we are "Pilgrims on Camino with backpacks in Albergues", right? No need to mark me as a tourist :rolleyes:;)

I don't totally disagree with your statement although I've used the fannypack numerous times on my touristy trips (and actually used money belts as well). I think (and I strongly stress that its just my own musing on the subject) that having a money belt under your clothes and then perhaps have a backpack belt going on top of that would be uncomfortable - I know I would sweat a bucket and most likely cause myself some skin irrituation. A fannypack in that scenario would be better and more manageable

Besides - the issue here is what to do with your valuables when the backpack is dropped by your bunk and in that way - as many have pointed out - simply keep your valuables on yourself at all times no matter WHAT you put them into.
I carry a money belt inside my pants on the whole walk while carrying a pack the whole way, and it is not uncomfortable. All valuables are in moneybelt or in my pockets. Pack carries extra set of clothes, sleep sack, rain gear, toiletries, water, snacks. In the albergue with sleep sack laid out, wearing spare clothes with the others on the drying line, there isnt much left in my pack to steal. If I need I need a pack to run errands in town, I just use my Osprey Talon 33 llter that weights 2 lbs empty....may or may not leave toiletries on my bunk. Best no to overcomplicate things.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
They not looking for your stinky clothes in your backpack! Thieves are looking for passport, cash and credit cards from people that they observe getting these items in an out of their backpack.

If you keep your valuable in a money belt under your clothes, you can easily replace a stolen backpack full of dirty clothes.

-Paul

Of course they look for valuables, you're right. A dirty, smelly backpack, especially one of a cheap brand, doesn't really look as if you'll find anything of much worth in it, though. A new, shiny, expensive-brand pack certainly looks more promising to a thief and has a higher risk of getting stolen.

At least that's my logic and my personal experience, no scientific research or statistics to back it up!

But I've left my pack unattended on all my Caminos / long distance hikes so far. About 7000kms alltogether by now, I think, not sure how many days/nights that is, and nobody *ever* tried to take my pack. Not even the shiny new expensive one I had to buy last year.

So I think it is wise to *never* leave your valuables (money, passport, phone) unattended, but there's no need to worry much about the backpack getting stolen. While it might occur from time to time, it's not the norm. The norm is people leaving them in front of supermarkets, in albergue dorms, on huge piles in a bar waiting for pick up from the transport service ect. without any problem.

Money belt or something similar for your money, passport, phone ect. is the right way to go, I agree. Always keep that close to you, even in the shower, and have an eye on your phone while charging it.

The backpack and clothes can indeed be replaced easily if for some reason it's stolen or lost, and that way one really doesn't need to worry much about it. One thing less to worry about is a good thing, especially on the Camino 🙂.

Hi all.
In most places you will have a locker with a key. What I did in your case, was put my valuables in a pouch and took that with me to go into town. The backpack will be there when you get back.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Naw, it was my first camino and I hadnt the wit to check if my wallet was waterproof. Always used a plastic bag thereafter. Unfortunately, on one occasion, I had the price of the albergue in there also. when I got up from lunch to go pay, the coins had fallen out through a hole in the bottom. This pilgrim just cant win LOL
I bought a sea to summit "waterproof" passport neck wallet. Plan on keeping passport pilgrim passport and cash in it. Easy to access, safe from pick pockets and waterproof which makes it easy to take in shower stall and hang with an S hook.

An apple air tag is handy if you plan to have your bag transported. Then you can carry a small pack with essentials and valuables with you. And you know exactly where your big pack is and you can follow it on your phone to your destination. I was really glad I had that air tag!
Rather, you will know where it was the last time it was in Bluetooth range of a phone that had a data plan and was in range of a cell tower. For Christmas, I gave five of them to relatives and kept three for me and my wife. That's seven people that think it was a waste of money.

Last edited:
I never had a problem leaving my backpack in the albergue when I went out to explore the town. I took all my valuables - credential, phone, wallet, passport - with me in a lightweight dry bag. I also used this dry bag when I went to the shower taking those same valuables with me. On my camino I only stayed at one albergue that had lockers. I wouldn’t recommend bringing a lock because they instantly says there’s something to steal. Also my backpack wouldn’t accommodate locks anyway, the zippers didn’t have the holes for a lock.

Reference #37 above.

I believe the woman was giving good advice about taking the bulky pack with you into the public toilet stall at the Burgos bus station. The advice in this thread is about leaving your pack unattended in the albergue, where I think other pilgrims are unlikely to want your dirty laundry, old socks, worn out maps, and slivers of cheese and jamon from lunch 2 days earlier.

But, in a public environment, I would not feel so secure. It's not about Spain, I'd do the same in any city. Like never leaving your car door unlocked, don't give people the opportunity to do something wrong. Plus, I would assume the local woman knew more about the local environment than I.

Can someone explain why bedbugs are more likely to crawl out of your backpack if it is lying on an unoccupied mattress than if it is leaning on an unoccupied bed?

Can someone explain why bedbugs are more likely to crawl out of your backpack if it is lying on an unoccupied mattress than if it is leaning on an unoccupied bed?
I don't think the "no backpacks on beds" rule is solely about bed bugs. It's about cleanliness - many people set their backpacks on the ground occasionally, and dirt can transfer to the bed if the backpack is set on it.

I don't think the "no backpacks on beds" rule is solely about bed bugs. It's about cleanliness - many people set their backpacks on the ground occasionally, and dirt can transfer to the bed if the backpack is set on it.
This makes more sense. Like not putting your boots on the mattress because, well, they're boots!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In addition to what trecile wrote, I'm no expert here but it may be that people lying on beds leave things (chemical odours, skin flakes, etc.) that are more likely to attract bed bugs out of a backpack than a metal bed post.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When I've had to leave my backpack outside a bar right next to the road and felt too many eyes on it from passing cars, I have used the waist strap to fasten the backpack to the nearest table. Most of the time, I haven't felt the need to do so.

After seeing a waiter in Argentina ziptie my daybag to the cafe chair when I went to the toilet, I take a handful of large zip-ties and, in dodgier places, secure to something. Zips are easy to cut but it stops any grab and run.

Sharing this with permission from my friend who is currently walking CF. Incident of theft. This two poor fellows lost €1400 and $1000 respectively. This happened last week in Carrion de los Condes. So, carry a small pouch, always keep your wallet, phones, passport, close to you, no matter where you go, even during shower, hold on to it whn you sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:

€83,-
To the best of my knowledge, I've never had my pockets picked. But there were definitely three attempts. I've never been mugged, either, but the few times I wore a money belt, I kept wondering whether reaching into my pants for it identified me as a target.
Why on earth are you accessing it in public? That's an absolute no-go , it negates the main reason for wearing it. Your days cash requirements, and your debit or main credit card and an ID ( Photo drivers licence is generally accepted) are somewhere accessible - zipped pocket, bum bag, etc - your cash stash, passport and second card are in the money belt. Accessed only in private. And I've worn mine for 35 years , under the belt of my Backpack - adjusted properly I literally forget I'm wearing it. 🇳🇿

-Paul
Yes! This!

Don’t do what “they” do. Claim your bed by putting your sleep sack or other clean gear on it. Always hang pack from bedpost, wall hook or put in locker. Never floor or bed.
More and more recently, and perhaps more in France than Spain, hosts insist on backpacks being stored separately in big plastic bins or garbage bags, away from the sleeping areas. This initiative was introduced to prevent bedbug infestations, I believe, but it's sensible and cleaner in any case.

Sharing this with permission from my friend who is currently walking CF. Incident of theft. This two poor fellows lost €1400 and $1000 respectively. This happened last week in Carrion de los Condes. So, carry a small pouch, always keep your wallet, phones, passport, close to you, no matter where you go, even during shower, hold on to it whn you sleep.
Where did they leave the money that made it so easy to steal?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Whn they took their shower and did their laundry.
So that illustrates the common sense advice that has consistently been given here - always keep your valuables close to your body, out of sight of others, even in the albergues. Do not assume that your new "friends" and everyone in the albergue are there for good reasons. Theft happens rarely, but it does happen.

Particularly when traveling, it is best to develop a clear rule for yourself that becomes a habit - passport, credit cards and cash reserve are always put away in the secure place you have carefully chosen. Daily needs may be carried in a second more accessible place, but also chosen with an awareness of the security.

Don’t do what “they” do. Claim your bed by putting your sleep sack or other clean gear on it. Always hang pack from bedpost, wall hook or put in locker. Never floor or bed.
While I understand your position, we (staff and albergue owners) did not feel it worthwhile to demand that. But our mattresses had plastic cases, and the sheets were changed every morning. And we had no wall hooks or lockers. Bedposts were a possibility.

Why on earth are you accessing it in public? That's an absolute no-go , it negates the main reason for wearing it. Your days cash requirements, and your debit or main credit card and an ID ( Photo drivers licence is generally accepted) are somewhere accessible - zipped pocket, bum bag, etc - your cash stash, passport and second card are in the money belt. Accessed only in private. And I've worn mine for 35 years , under the belt of my Backpack - adjusted properly I literally forget I'm wearing it. 🇳🇿
So, instead of accessing it in the store, I should do it out on the street ?!? I keep anything I don't want to lose (which includes ID and cards) not only easy for me to reach, but also where I will know if a thief tries to grab it.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back