• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Unbelievable Love on the Camino

J P Johnston

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés - 2016
Over the last four weeks, there has been a story about an older couple walking the Camino.

Originally, they met in 2016, on the Camino when each was walking their own separate Camino. The woman was from Germany, and she walked with a friend. The man was from America, and he walked alone. Early in their walk, they met at a small bar in a small hamlet for dinner one night. They were not able to talk to each other, as she spoke only German and he spoke only English. The next morning, each continued to walk their separate Caminos.

They did not see each other again until the very last day on the Camino, when they continued to see each other at different rest stops. At one of those stops, a man at the next table overheard their attempted conversation. As he spoke English and German, he offered to translate for them. It was at this point they begin to learn each other's stories.

The woman's husband had died five years earlier. She was walking the Camino with a stone for him to leave at Cruz de Ferro. The man was walking the Camino because his wife had died five years earlier. He carried a stone for her to leave at Finesterra.

They planned on meeting in Santiago, but they never met each other there.

However, they had exchanged email addresses and wrote each other after they had returned to their homes, using Google translate and a German English dictionary. Eventually, they begin to speak on Skype as their understanding of each other's language improved. In November 2016, both said they missed the Camino and would like to walk again. From there arose the idea of the two of them walking the Camino together.

On April 4 of this year, 2017, they met in St. Jean Pied de Port. It was at the dinner in the albergue that night, where their story first became known. They stopped in Orrison, and the story was retold at a communal dinner in the albergue that night. From then on, people walking the Camino heard the story as it was repeated from Pilgrim to Pilgrim, and the story spread.

A photo was taken of them embracing at the Cruz de Ferro.

They were seen leaving Vega de Valcarce, walking up the mountain road towards La Faba, holding hands.

They were seen in O'Cebrera, during the snowstorm.

Yesterday, they were seen leaving Portomarina, walking down the road toward the river, under the street lights in the predawn darkness, so they should be in or near Arzua this evening.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thankyou for sharing this beautifully special story with us. When one reads something such as this, one realises that there are some very special forces at work out there in the Universe. :)

Love blooms where you plant it despite differences. I wish them great happiness for a day a week a lifetime!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back