• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

uncertainties about the Variante Espiritual del camino Português

Camembert

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
There are a lot of uncertainties about the Variante Espiritual del Camino Português , Compostelas and certificates of Distance.

yesterday there was a big discussion here so I thought I try to explain something about this sensible topic.

The Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela represented by the Pilgrims Office acknowledges 3 official routes to the tomb of the Apostle San Tiago ,starting from Porto ( I do not speak about the Caminho de Braga or others at the east side of Portugal here )

There are.

A the Central route Porto ,Barcelos, Valença do Minho , Caldas de Reis to Santiago. 240 kms
B the Coastal route ( Coastal through the hills, Senda Litoral ) from Porto , Vila do Conde , Viana do Castelo Caminha , A Guarda Baiona and Vigo ) 280 kms
C a mix of the Coastal and Central , switching points are Vila do Conde or Caminha to get from the coastal to the central. 260 kms.

To apply for a Compostela certificate you have to walk at least the last 100 kms to Santiago and collect from there 2 stamps a day on your credential.
that means starting on the Central route the nearest place that is 100 kms away from Santiago is O Porriño
and on the Coastal that is Vigo.
All places further south of these both places are popular places to start like Valença or Tui or on the coastal Caminha/ A Guarda or Baiona. But starting from there , does not effect getting your Compostela .
You always walk more than 100 kms from there.

The Variante Espiritual.
the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela aka the Pelgrims Office does not acknowledge the Variante Espiritual as an official route.
Nothing wrong with the Variante and it is a beautiful walk and boatride a nice experience but as said it is not an official route.

so when you are asked for a certificate of Distance in the Pilgrims Office -this is something different than a Compostela certificate.

The Compostela certificate you get for free as you can prove that you walked or biked or rode your horse or sailed ( how you succeed in reaching Santiago by boat I do not know but the rules of the Pilgrims Office describe this) 100 kms by walking and 200 kms by biking and as stated here above you obtained to stamps a day .

The certificate is a document that decribes in the Spanish language that you walked from……. And it is …..kms from there. You have to pay for it , 3€ it is a nice souvenir/ document to show back at home how many kms you walked and from where .
so when you started from Porto on the central route via Caldas de Reis it is 240 kms. And on the Coastal via
Baiona it is 280 km .

if you do the Variante (Pontevedra to Vila Nova De Arousa is about 30 kms, the boatride to Pontecessures is about 30 kms ) the clerk at the Pilgrims Office will not recognize the Variante as an official caminho
The distance on your certificate of Distância when e.g. you walk from O Porriño or Vigo and included the Variante to Vila Nova de Arousa will not be 130 km - the boatride does not count at all because you do not walk - but 100 kms.
These are the strict rules of Pilgrims Office. I asked it to the management of the Pilgrims Office yesterday .

Hope this clears everything and does not disappoint you or decides you not to walk the Variante Espiritual . don't let that stop you from walking this route, follow your heart and most of all enjoy your caminho, whatever it may be.

bom caminho

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Albertinho,

I take issue with nothing you have said either because I agree (for example, riding on the boat does not count as walking and therefore does not count towards the 100k minimum) or because I simply bow to your expert knowledge, but I think perhaps the statement "the clerk at the Pilgrims Office will not recognize the Variante as an official caminho" may cause people to think that they will not receive a Compostela.

Can we agree that walking a minimum of 100k via the Variante will get you a Compostela and, if you wish it, a certificate of distance.

Umm. Clear as mud to me. In 2018 I walked (and, yes, rode a boat) from Oporto via the Variante Espiritual. It's beautiful and far more challenging than the alternative route, but I can still remeber the embarassment of queueing at the pilgrim office only to be refused by some deskbound person enjoying a cheap holiday in Santiago that I wasn't eligible for a compostela. I met a Barbadian and two Englishwomen, who had walked the same route and were abosulutely indignant at not being granted a compostela. I've walked every year since, except 2021, but I'm going back to the pilgrim office and its petty rules.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are a lot of uncertainties about the Variante Espiritual del Camino Português , Compostelas and certificates of Distance.

yesterday there was a big discussion here so I thought I try to explain something about this sensible topic.

The Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela represented by the Pilgrims Office acknowledges 3 official routes to the tomb of the Apostle San Tiago ,starting from Porto ( I do not speak about the Caminho de Braga or others at the east side of Portugal here )

There are.

A the Central route Porto ,Barcelos, Valença do Minho , Caldas de Reis to Santiago. 240 kms
B the Coastal route ( Coastal through the hills, Senda Litoral ) from Porto , Vila do Conde , Viana do Castelo Caminha , A Guarda Baiona and Vigo ) 280 kms
C a mix of the Coastal and Central , switching points are Vila do Conde or Caminha to get from the coastal to the central. 260 kms.

To apply for a Compostela certificate you have to walk at least the last 100 kms to Santiago and collect from there 2 stamps a day on your credential.
that means starting on the Central route the nearest place that is 100 kms away from Santiago is O Porriño
All places further south of these both places are popular places to start like Valença or Tui or on the coastal Caminha/ A Guarda or Baiona. But starting from there , does not effect getting your Compostela .

The Variante Espiritual.
the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela aka the Pelgrims Office does not acknowledge the Variante Espiritual as an official route.
Nothing wrong with the Variante and it is a beautiful walk and boatride a nice experience but as said it is not an official route.

so when you are asked for a certificate of Distance in the Pilgrims Office -this is something different than a Compostela certificate.

The Compostela certificate you get for free as you can prove that you walked or biked or rode your horse or sailed ( how you succeed in reaching Santiago by boat I do not know but the rules of the Pilgrims Office describe this) 100 kms by walking and 200 kms by biking and as stated here above you obtained to stamps a day .

The certificate is a document that decribes in the Spanish language that you walked from……. And it is …..kms from there. You have to pay for it , 3€ it is a nice souvenir/ document to show back at home how many kms you walked and from where .
so when you started from Porto on the central route via Caldas de Reis it is 240 kms. And on the Coastal via
Baiona it is 280 km .

if you do the Variante (Pontevedra to Vila Nova De Arousa is about 30 kms, the boatride to Pontecessures is about 30 kms ) the clerk at the Pilgrims Office will not recognize the Variante as an official caminho
The distance on your certificate of Distância when e.g. you walk from O Porriño or Vigo and included the Variante to Vila Nova de Arousa will not be 130 km - the boatride does not count at all because you do not walk - but 100 kms.
These are the strict rules of Pilgrims Office. I asked it to the management of the Pilgrims Office yesterday .

Hope this clears everything and does not disappoint you or decides you not to walk the Variante Espiritual . don't let that stop you from walking this route, follow your heart and most of all enjoy your caminho, whatever it may be.

bom caminho
Thanks Albertinho for this so am I correct that if I walk from Porto and go Porrino- Rendondela-Pontevedra then continue to Armentiera-Vila Nova Arousa then boat to pontecessures-Padron Santiago de Compostela I would not be entitled to the Compostela or the certificate e distencia?

Umm. Clear as mud to me. In 2018 I walked (and, yes, rode a boat) from Oporto via the Variante Espiritual. It's beautiful and far more challenging than the alternative route, but I can still remeber the embarassment of queueing at the pilgrim office only to be refused by some deskbound person enjoying a cheap holiday in Santiago that I wasn't eligible for a compostela. I met a Barbadian and two Englishwomen, who had walked the same route and were abosulutely indignant at not being granted a compostela. I've walked every year since, except 2021, but I'm going back to the pilgrim office and its petty rules.
I agree very confusing for my simple brain. The easier question to answer is simple. If you walk the required 100K to receive your compostela and the Espiritual Variante is incorporated in the 100K are you eligible for a Compostela? It does not matter how far you walked before you arrive 100K from Santiago by foot. You must walk the final 100K to be eligible. According to Peter he was denied a compostela.

Albertinho,

I take issue with nothing you have said either because I agree (for example, riding on the boat does not count as walking and therefore does not count towards the 100k minimum) or because I simply bow to your expert knowledge, but I think perhaps the statement "the clerk at the Pilgrims Office will not recognize the Variante as an official caminho" may cause people to think that they will not receive a Compostela.

Can we agree that walking a minimum of 100k via the Variante will get you a Compostela and, if you wish it, a certificate of distance.
Max. That is what I try to explain.
walk the distance which starts at a minimum of 100 kms from Sqntiago either on the central route or coastal. To remember, these both route goe via Caldas De Reis so calculated back if you want to have a Compostela ,start in O Porriño or Vigo or any place south of both places. Than you will walk 100 kms. The clerk can see that you have started at the right place .And than you will get your Compostela
And if you like to turn to the right in Pontevedra to the Variante does not matter anymore. Your 100 km stamps (2 ones) are in your credential just add 2 from the Variante too in the credential and arriving again in Padron ( there you will be back at the Central route and Santiago . And receive proudly your Compostela from the clerk in charge and free of charge 😊

then the Distance certificate . When you ask this one , the clerk will look at your creditial and in the computer because you have to register before an register where you started so is that Porto, he will ask you by the Central or the Coastal or the mix Coastal/Central so you can expect one of these three distances on your certificat, the central is 240 kms, the coastal 280 kms and the mix is 260 kms
so you will not see your 30 walking kms from Pontevedra to Vila Nova de Arousa - the Variante (ca. 60 kms was it ? ) on your Distance certificate but you always can ask if the clerk adds these 60 kms to the official distance of 240 /260 or 280 kms.
A Dutch saying is “ a No you have allready, a Yes you can get “

bom caminho

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I agree very confusing for my simple brain. The easier question to answer is simple. If you walk the required 100K to receive your compostela and the Espiritual Variante is incorporated in the 100K are you eligible for a Compostela? It does not matter how far you walked before you arrive 100K from Santiago by foot. You must walk the final 100K to be eligible. According to Peter he was denied a compostela.
Yes you are right. Maybe Peter could not show the stamps from O Porriño or Vigo
I do not know. I just tell what the rules of the Pilgrims Office are.

The problem is so many people have heard something or have their own opinion or own truth about this Variante and everybody like it even me but the Pilgrims Office does not see it as an official route. Just as a detour
Let Peter show his credential to me . Eventually by PM. If the clerk made a mistake, a clerk is also a human being , we know why.
I am very curious about it.

I put a lot of time into planning my walk pre COVID and became reasonably familiar with the "is it/isn't it" debate on the Variante. Above I have tried to give a link to the most useful post I found at that time. (Sorry but the technology defeated me but if you cut and past the link will work! Maybe someone younger could do it properly for me?)

Two year later, my wife and I walked from Vigo and arrived in Santiago just 3 days ago. We had pre-registered our Caminos online and had clearly stated that our plan was to walk from Vigo to Santiago via the Variante. My wife and I presented ourselves at the pilgrims' office with our duly stamped credentials. There were 6 desks working and she and I went to 2 different clerks. Our Compostelas and Certificates were handed over without question or comment. The certificate of distance shows 101km which is pretty much bang-on the distance we walked and does NOT include the distance travelled by boat.

Maybe we just got lucky but I really don't think so. That precise 101km figure entered by 2 different clerks must have come from somewhere and it didn't come from us!

Thanks Albertinho for this so am I correct that if I walk from Porto and go Porrino- Rendondela-Pontevedra then continue to Armentiera-Vila Nova Arousa then boat to pontecessures-Padron Santiago de Compostela I would not be entitled to the Compostela or the certificate e distencia?
when the clerk sees your O Porriño stamp ( from there collect two stamps a day e.g. the second in Armenteira or Barrantes or whatever and you get your Compostella which is free of charge

the Distance certificate is not obliged to buy. If you do not want it, no bother
If you want it, the clerk can see at your registration that you started in Porto and asks you if you walked the Central or the coastal ( our control checks are to ask you did you walk via Caldas de Reis or Baiona ? that means Caldas is the central Route and he or she will write on your Distance certificate 240 km from Porto or via Baiona 280 kms
So you will not see the 60 kms of the Variante due to it is not an official part of the caminho
But ask the clerk to add the 60 kms and ask if he or she writes down that you started in Porto and walked via the Variante Espiritual It is a legal question. Can’t imagine it will be refused. Only write down a few letters more .when I sat there as clerk I did it one or two times on request.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
walk the distance which starts at a minimum of 100 kms from Sqntiago either on the central route or coastal. To remember, these both route goe via Caldas De Reis so calculated back if you want to have a Compostela ,start in O Porriño or Vigo or any place south of both places. Than you will walk 100 kms. The clerk can see that you have started at the right place .And than you will get your Compostela
And if you like to turn to the right in Pontevedra to the Variante does not matter anymore. Your 100 km stamps (2 ones) are in your credential just add 2 from the Variante too in the credential and arriving again in Padron ( there you will be back at the Central route and Santiago . And receive proudly your Compostela from the clerk in charge and free of charge 😊

then the Distance certificate . When you ask this one , the clerk will look at your creditial and in the computer because you have to register before an register where you started so is that Porto, he will ask you by the Central or the Coastal or the mix Coastal/Central so you can expect one of these three distances on your certificat, the central is 240 kms, the coastal 280 kms and the mix is 260 kms
so you will not see your 30 walking kms from Pontevedra to Vila Nova de Arousa - the Variante (ca. 60 kms was it ? ) on your Distance certificate but you always can ask if the clerk adds these 60 kms to the official distance of 240 /260 or 280 kms.

bom caminho
Phew!!! That's really helped. We were all for not doing the varient,cancelling our accomodation and seats on the boat and just walking to Padron
Looks like we can enjoy what I hope will be a beautiful walk along the route of stones and water
Many thanks

bom caminho
Albertinho, I'm not sure if we are agreeing or disagreeing! :)
Just to try and clarify.....I travelled a total of 131km from Vigo to Santiago via the Variante. As part of that journey I took a boat journey of 30km. The rest I walked. I got a Compostela and a Certificate of Distance which shows 101km.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There seems to be a discrepancy between the information you present and that of other sources. The attached is a screenshot from the Wisely Camino Portuguese app. I found the information in the app to be correct, when after having finished the Camino Invierno with time to spare I bussed to Pontvedra, started walking, turned left, and was given a Compostella 5 days later, no questions asked.

Attachments

• 9A5DC7DF-BAFD-4725-B305-9FBBAE4DD77F.png
    9A5DC7DF-BAFD-4725-B305-9FBBAE4DD77F.png
    496.7 KB · Views: 49
Phew!!! That's really helped. We were all for not doing the varient,cancelling our accomodation and seats on the boat and just walking to Padron
Looks like we can enjoy what I hope will be a beautiful walk along the route of stones and water
Many thanks
Do it! enjoy it! It was be most beautiful and rewarding Camino.

When we set out the Compostela held no great meaning for us but as the days passed by and the kms mounted it became something more important. We wanted it.

Going to the Pilgrims's office added meaning to our journey.

Hi:

In order to try to bring a little comfort, please refer to the attached photo of the map found inside the Pilgrim Credential. It clearly mentions from where to start if you includes the Variante Espiritual in your walk and want to request your Compostela. It’s in Spanish, if you need translation, just let me know.

Ivan_Prada

CAF4BAF3-39C1-4497-91B2-C6FB7A5A1D25.jpeg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes you are right. Maybe Peter could not show the stamps from O Porriño or Vigo
I do not know. I just tell what the rules of the Pilgrims Office are.

The problem is so many people have heard something or have their own opinion or own truth about this Variante and everybody like it even me but the Pilgrims Office does not see it as an official route. Just as a detour
Let Peter show his credential to me . Eventually by PM. If the clerk made a mistake, a clerk is also a human being , we know why.
I am very curious about it.
I know you are just reporting back about all this and I know that people make mistakes at the pilgrim office and it is wrong to place any blame on the volunteers. I think the people who are the decision makers should clearly state what is an approved route and whether walking the variante espiritual makes one eligible for the Compostela and if you can include these kilometers in your distance certificate. Thanks for trying to be clear in what seems to be an ambiguous situation.

Hi:

In order to try to bring a little comfort, please refer to the attached photo of the map found inside the Pilgrim Credential. It clearly mentions from where to start if you includes the Variante Espiritual in your walk and want to request your Compostela. It’s in Spanish, if you need translation, just let me know.

Ivan_Prada

View attachment 127263
I do not know who publishes this credentials. I do not think this is an official credential from the Cathedral of Santiago. Does it show the text Credential auténtica de la Catedral de Santiago de Compostela para todos los peregrinos. Prohibida su reprodución . Donativo 2€ or www.officinadelperegrino.com or www.catedraldesantiago.es ?

I only am the messenger of the rules in this thread , the Cathedral of Santiago decrees .
I checked it out yesterday in the Pilgrims Office and again they confirmed the Variante is no official route as I already knew when I was volunteer there a few months ago .

The picture of the credential does no say anything . I have here a new credential issued by the Portuguese pilgrims association Via Lusitana . No map on it at all
I have the Holy Year credential which I used in 2019 officially issued by the Cathedral of Santiago with maps of the common caminos like the Francès, the Inglès Via de la Plata, del Norte and the Português and on that map does not show the Variante at all.

And I just checked the other ones I have here , all officially issued by the cathedral as it says from 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2019. None of them shows at the Portuguese map of these credentials the Variante Espiritual. I am so sorry for you.

I know there are publishers who make their own. I saw credentials from an Irish association, a French organisation and one from the USA.There is a special one for dogs.A group of militairy showed up in front of me with their dogs ,walking from Sarria with them . Not an official credential but so nice to see and I stamped the last stamp in it with so much pleasure.

Even you can make your own credential yourself. Just draw some lines and ask to stamp between them The pilgrims office accepts them when you show up
I remember a guy who walked from Greece and had 5 or 6 self made credentials with him full of stamps from his 5 month lasting journey. We only looked at the stamp from Sarria , 100 kms from Santiago and the last stages and if he had collected 2 stamps a day. His credentials had great value for him. After him were 400 pilgrims waiting outside. So his happy last moment, getting the Compostela lasted 5 minutes . We would like to hear his tales but there is no time for it. Everybody has his or hers own tale about the camino .Fortunately if you walk the Variante you will notice that it is a beautiful walk and the boatride is a change after long walks and a certificate of Distance is just a piece of paper.The memories you take with you.

Bom caminho

I speak Castellano and Portuguese by the way pues muchissimo gracias !.

Attachments

• AB5843BD-8E11-4BB4-A931-6FD60E3E8AD3.jpeg
    AB5843BD-8E11-4BB4-A931-6FD60E3E8AD3.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 30
Here’s mine.
Bought it from Ivar.

Attachments

• E46AE718-27AB-4349-9796-67F5EEFE728B.jpeg
    E46AE718-27AB-4349-9796-67F5EEFE728B.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 32
  • 8CBBADC4-030D-4AFD-826D-5DDD1402FEA9.jpeg
    8CBBADC4-030D-4AFD-826D-5DDD1402FEA9.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 30
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There seems to be a discrepancy between the information you present and that of other sources. The attached is a screenshot from the Wisely Camino Portuguese app. I found the information in the app to be correct, when after having finished the Camino Invierno with time to spare I bussed to Pontvedra, started walking, turned left, and was given a Compostella 5 days later, no questions asked.
an interesting article but this is not an official message from the Cathedral .
the journalist has heard the bell ringing but he does not know where the clapper hangs is a Dutch proverb I do not know if the translation is correct but I think that you understand what I want to say. I am not an english native speaker .
he is correct that when you walk the Variante , you get a Compostella but he does not write about the conditions ( 100 kms at least to Santiago and two stamps a day.
so you have to start in O Porriño or Vigo and collect 2 stamps per day from both mentioned places.
Included the Variante you walk (Porriño, Redondela , Pontevedra, Variante , Padron to Santiago ) about 130 kms from there I think From Vigo it will be about the same distance. But if you ask for the certificate of Distance you will see that your distance is 100 kms (from O Porriño or Vigo in the shortest way to Santiago via Caldas de Reis.)

but nobody says ” do not walk this Variante , no just do it if you want to.follow your heart.

I know you are just reporting back about all this and I know that people make mistakes at the pilgrim office and it is wrong to place any blame on the volunteers. I think the people who are the decision makers should clearly state what is an approved route and whether walking the variante espiritual makes one eligible for the Compostela and if you can include these kilometers in your distance certificate. Thanks for trying to be clear in what seems to be an ambiguous situation.
Maybe Ivar can make an appointment with the responsables of the Pilgrims Office so they make it clear .

I do not know who publishes this credentials. I do not think this is an official credential from the Cathedral of Santiago. Does it show the text Credential auténtica de la Catedral de Santiago de Compostela para todos los peregrinos. Prohibida su reprodución . Donativo 2€ or www.officinadelperegrino.com or www.catedraldesantiago.es ?

I only am the messenger of the rules in this thread , the Cathedral of Santiago decrees .
I checked it out yesterday in the Pilgrims Office and again they confirmed the Variante is no official route as I already knew when I was volunteer there a few months ago .

The picture of the credential does no say anything . I have here a new credential issued by the Portuguese pilgrims association Via Lusitana . No map on it at all
I have the Holy Year credential which I used in 2019 officially issued by the Cathedral of Santiago with maps of the common caminos like the Francès, the Inglès Via de la Plata, del Norte and the Português and on that map does not show the Variante at all.

And I just checked the other ones I have here , all officially issued by the cathedral as it says from 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2019. None of them shows at the Portuguese map of these credentials the Variante Espiritual. I am so sorry for you.

I know there are publishers who make their own. I saw credentials from an Irish association, a French organisation and one from the USA.There is a special one for dogs.A group of militairy showed up in front of me with their dogs ,walking from Sarria with them . Not an official credential but so nice to see and I stamped the last stamp in it with so much pleasure.

Even you can make your own credential yourself. Just draw some lines and ask to stamp between them The pilgrims office accepts them when you show up
I remember a guy who walked from Greece and had 5 or 6 self made credentials with him full of stamps from his 5 month lasting journey. We only looked at the stamp from Sarria , 100 kms from Santiago and the last stages and if he had collected 2 stamps a day. His credentials had great value for him. After him were 400 pilgrims waiting outside. So his happy last moment, getting the Compostela lasted 5 minutes . We would like to hear his tales but there is no time for it. Everybody has his or hers own tale about the camino .Fortunately if you walk the Variante you will notice that it is a beautiful walk and the boatride is a change after long walks and a certificate of Distance is just a piece of paper.The memories you take with you.

Bom caminho

I speak Castellano and Portuguese by the way pues muchissimo gracias !.
Hi, Albertinho:

Please, excuse my posting if it looked that it was addressed against your comments. I’m just a neophyte on these matters and you are the expert who have had the chance to work at the Pilgrim’s Office. I do value your explanation you posted very greatly, my posting with the map was just to clear the doubts, and that the comments on it were in Spanish; so, if someone needed the translation I would gladly provide. I also know of your language knowledge as you have so demonstrated thru this great forum.
Again, my apologies if my posting upset you, it was not my intention, but only provide some help to clear the doubt.

Ivan_Prada

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Again I was in contact with the Pilgrims Office this morning and I asked the same question again to one of the staff members and sorry , again they told me the Variante Espiritual is not recognized as an officially route so all I have been written above still counts.
So start at 100 km from Santiago at a recognized caminho such as the Portuguese Central or Coastal route and both where Caldas the Reis is in
O Porriño and Vigo are these places to cover 100 kms
Do you start earlier e.g Porto , Valença /Tui or Caminha A Guarda of Baiona or others more south , no bother
And anyway from O Porriño or Vigo , collect 2 stamps a day where from one from O Porriño or Vigo. The othe can be from anywhere e.g on the Variante.

I asked about the Credential that someone posted , issued by the Cathedral of Santiago ( bought at Ivar’s webshop)
Showing the variante on the map but the answer was. No the variante is not recognized I did not see this type of credential before. Might be a later issue than my last one from 2019 .
At the Pilgrims Office you only see the inside with all stamp , quickly stamp the last stamp in it and give it back to the owner.

Well this it. More than this I cannot do
except for saying Start at at least in o Porriño or Vigo and 2 stamps a day and whether or not you walk the Variante, you will get your Compostela

I will ask the moderators to close this thread

Regards
Albertinho

Just before this thread is closed (and I don't know why it is being closed as the subject is important to all those who might want to walk the Variante) can I again ask, respectfully, for some clarity?

We seem to be agreed that I (or anyone else) can walk from Vigo, take the Variante Espiritual plus the boat ride from Vilanova, and qualify for a Compostela and a Certificate of Distance on arrival in Santiago.

If that is the true then what is the importance of the Variante not being recognised as an official route? What difference does this make?

Albertinho, this is a genuine question. When I planned my first Camino two years ago I continually got caught in the discussion of the validity of the Variante and its recognition. It would be wonderful if this thread ended with clarity on 2 things:

1. Walk from Vigo or Porriño via the Variante and you can get your Compostela and a Certificate of Distance when you arrive in Santiago
2. The Variante is not officially recognised and this means that ........??

Can we please do that?

Just before this thread is closed (and I don't know why it is being closed as the subject is important to all those who might want to walk the Variante) can I again ask, respectfully, for some clarity?

We seem to be agreed that I (or anyone else) can walk from Vigo, take the Variante Espiritual plus the boat ride from Vilanova, and qualify for a Compostela and a Certificate of Distance on arrival in Santiago.

If that is the true then what is the importance of the Variante not being recognised as an official route? What difference does this make?

Albertinho, this is a genuine question. When I planned my first Camino two years ago I continually got caught in the discussion of the validity of the Variante and its recognition. It would be wonderful if this thread ended with clarity on 2 things:

1. Walk from Vigo or Porriño via the Variante and you can get your Compostela and a Certificate of Distance when you arrive in Santiago

Can we please do that?
Hi:

This is the thing, the Variante per se is not an official Camino. If you my post #15 with the photo of the Portuguese Camino, there is a caption in Spanish that in order to receive a Compostela and you walk the Variante, you Camino must begin at least in Vigo or Porriño. These two places are within the mandated 100 kms required to obtain the Compostela.

Hope that my interpretation of the rule be of help clarify any of the doubts about this subject.

Ivan_Prada

€83,-
Sorry, Ivan, but I am still not getting it! :confused: And I really am trying very hard to understand.

I don't see how what you are saying is different to any other Camino. If I want a Compostela I have to walk 100km and it's the same rule for the Variante. What's the difference?

And this is different to my question to Albertinho. Why does it matter if a route is officially recognised (or not) if I can still get my Compostela and Certificate of Distance? What difference does official recognition make to my Camino?

Sorry, Ivan, but I am still not getting it! :confused: And I really am trying very hard to understand.

I don't see how what you are saying is different to any other Camino. If I want a Compostela I have to walk 100km and it's the same rule for the Variante. What's the difference?

And this is different to my question to Albertinho. Why does it matter if a route is officially recognised (or not) if I can still get my Compostela and Certificate of Distance? What difference does official recognition make to my Camino?
Hi Max:
Let’s see I can make myself better understood with this explanation.
I’ll try to make an analogy using Camino Frances as an example. I’m no expert as only have walked the Camino once, this in case I fail to mention anything.
When a pilgrim departs from SJPDP, has to options to cross the mountains; one The Napoleon Route, the other is Valcarlos. Both are valid.

On the Portuguese interior, upon exiting Pontevedra, the pilgrim has two options; either follow the traditional route that continues toward Caldas de Reis and Santiago or takes the detour toward the Variante.

The ruling by the Pilgrim Office says that if the pilgrim is to include the Variante as part of the Camino, they must begin either on Vigo or Porriño and collect the required two daily stamps. These two cities marks the 0 kms toward the required minimum of 100 kms to obtain the Compostela.

Hope this helps make sense. I see that you also posted a photo of the route; please check caption towards the upper left, under the captions in the brown box. There is the explanation I mentioned above.

Ivan_Prada

There are.

The Variante Espiritual.

Baiona it is 280 km .

bom caminho
We can get the same certificate if we do the Camino by bicycle?
Another question. I can get the Camino Passport direct in Portugal? I'm from Mexico and I'm afraid it won't arrive before 22 June.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Can we please do that?
olá Max

I answer on your # 1 You get a Compostela whether you walk from O Porriño or Vigo in straight line via Caldas de Reis ( this part f the central and coastal route is officially recognized ) or you walk the Variante which is not officially recognized but ends up in Pontecessures close by Padron.
I write down the KMs. Distances from O Porriño and Vigo to Santiago are the same.
1 O Porriño to Redondela. 20 km
2 Redondela to Pontevedra 20 km
3 Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis 20 km
4 Caldas de Reis to Padron 20 km
5 Padron to Santiago is 24 km
so the recognized route from o Porriño/Vigo is 104 kms

Then O Porriño /Vigo included the Variante
1 O Porriño to Redondela. 20 kms
2 Redondela to Pontevedra 20 kms
3 Pontevedra to Vila Nova de Arousa 60 kms
4 boatride to Pontecessures O kms ( no walking)
5 Pontecessures to Padron 3 kms
6 Padron to Santiago 24 kms
so the route with the Variante included is 127 kms
then you come to the Pilgrims office and you show your credential and you will get your your free Compostela, a certificate wiritten in latin that you acomplished your walk of bikeride to the tomb of the Apostle.
it does not say where you started .

then the clerk asks you. Do you want a certificate of Distance that shows how many kms you walked and from where you started. Yes that I want you say. Okay this certificate costs 3 euros. Okay you say and then starts what most of the involved forum members do not understand
the clerk writes down that you started ( in this example) from Vigo or O Porrino, he looks on the computerscreen at the recognized caminhos and says oksy you started from O Porriño or Vigo. I write that down and the distance in kms is 104 kms.
ho ho you say …I walked the Variante… that should be 127 kms…
that could be he says but we do not recognize the Variante so the distance from O Porrino /Vigo we take as recognized distance.
it is what it is . Do not shoot me. I am only the messenger . The Archbishop of Santiago is the responsable one ,represented by the Pilgrims Office

so the Compostela and the certificate of distance are two different documents

We can get the same certificate if we do the Camino by bicycle?
Another question. I can get the Camino Passport direct in Portugal? I'm from Mexico and I'm afraid it won't arrive before 22 June.
Hi Ricco:

I would dare to say yes, but on a bike the rule says that it must be 200 kms minimum. My guess is that you should start from Porto which will place you around 240 kms from Santiago.

If you are looking to certificate of distance, you need to collect at least one(1) stamp per day at least until you reach the 100 kms mark; from there on, you need two (2) stamps per day.

If you start from Porto, based in other threads, you can optain the Credential at the cathedral and at same time you first stamp.

Buen Camino

Hi Max:
Let’s see I can make myself better understood with this explanation.
I’ll try to make an analogy using Camino Frances as an example. I’m no expert as only have walked the Camino once, this in case I fail to mention anything.
When a pilgrim departs from SJPDP, has to options to cross the mountains; one The Napoleon Route, the other is Valcarlos. Both are valid.

On the Portuguese interior, upon exiting Pontevedra, the pilgrim has two options; either follow the traditional route that continues toward Caldas de Reis and Santiago or takes the detour toward the Variante.

The ruling by the Pilgrim Office says that if the pilgrim is to include the Variante as part of the Camino, they must begin either on Vigo or Porriño and collect the required two daily stamps. These two cities marks the 0 kms toward the required minimum of 100 kms to obtain the Compostela.

Hope this helps make sense. I see that you also posted a photo of the route; please check caption towards the upper left, under the captions in the brown box. There is the explanation I mentioned above.

Ivan_Prada
Thank you, Ivan. I really do appreciate the time and effort you have made to explain this to me.
I have looked again at the photo I posted of the routes and it seems to me that the statement "debe iniciarse como mínimo en Porriño o Vigo" is simply laying down a clear and useful marker as to where your journey must begin "en mínimo" if you want to walk the Variante and get your Compostela. In my humble opinion it would be helpful if the same markers were given for all other routes!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
olá Max

I answer on your # 1 You get a Compostela whether you walk from O Porriño or Vigo in straight line via Caldas de Reis ( this part f the central and coastal route is officially recognized ) or you walk the Variante which is not officially recognized but ends up in Pontecessures close by Padron.
I write down the KMs. Distances from O Porriño and Vigo to Santiago are the same.
1 O Porriño to Redondela. 20 km
2 Redondela to Pontevedra 20 km
3 Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis 20 km
4 Caldas de Reis to Padron 20 km
5 Padron to Santiago is 24 km
so the recognized route from o Porriño/Vigo is 104 kms

Then O Porriño /Vigo included the Variante
1 O Porriño to Redondela. 20 kms
2 Redondela to Pontevedra 20 kms
3 Pontevedra to Vila Nova de Arousa 60 kms
4 boatride to Pontecessures O kms ( no walking)
5 Pontecessures to Padron 3 kms
6 Padron to Santiago 24 kms
so the route with the Variante included is 127 kms
then you come to the Pilgrims office and you show your credential and you will get your your free Compostela, a certificate wiritten in latin that you acomplished your walk of bikeride to the tomb of the Apostle.
it does not say where you started .

then the clerk asks you. Do you want a certificate of Distance that shows how many kms you walked and from where you started. Yes that I want you say. Okay this certificate costs 3 euros. Okay you say and then starts what most of the involved forum members do not understand
the clerk writes down that you started ( in this example) from Vigo or O Porrino, he looks on the computerscreen at the recognized caminhos and says oksy you started from O Porriño or Vigo. I write that down and the distance in kms is 104 kms.
ho ho you say …I walked the Variante… that should be 127 kms…
that could be he says but we do not recognize the Variante so the distance from O Porrino /Vigo we take as recognized distance.
it is what it is . Do not shoot me. I am only the messenger . The Archbishop of Santiago is the responsable one ,represented by the Pilgrims Office

so the Compostela and the certificate of distance are two different documents
Got it! I think I finally understand where you are coming from!
Because the Variante is not a recognised route your Certificate of Distance might not show the km that you walked.
Makes sense.

But can I finally (and not importantly) point out that the walk from Vigo to Santiago via the Variante is not 127kms. Here is my math:
Vigo to Redondela 13.4
Redondela to Armenteira 41.4
Armenteira to Vilanova 23.7
Pontecesures to Santiago 27.2
Total 105.7

I did not concern me at all when my Certificate of Distance stated only 101km. If I had thought I had walked 127kms I might have said something!

Albertinho, thank you for staying with me on this. It not only helps me but I think it might also bring clarity to others who are planning to walk the Variante. Start in Vigo or start in Porriño "como mínimo" and you will get your Compostela if, indeed, that is what you want.

Got it! I think I finally understand where you are coming from!
Because the Variante is not a recognised route your Certificate of Distance might not show the km that you walked.
Makes sense.

But can I finally (and not importantly) point out that the walk from Vigo to Santiago via the Variante is not 127kms. Here is my math:
Vigo to Redondela 13.4
Redondela to Armenteira 41.4
Armenteira to Vilanova 23.7
Pontecesures to Santiago 27.2
Total 105.7

I did not concern me at all when my Certificate of Distance stated only 101km. If I had thought I had walked 127kms I might have said something!

Albertinho, thank you for staying with me on this. It not only helps me but I think it might also bring clarity to others who are planning to walk the Variante. Start in Vigo or start in Porriño "como mínimo" and you will get your Compostela if, indeed, that is what you want.
Thanks Max for your reply and glad it clears the sky.
yes the distances I don’t know exactly I just estimated it but knew it was over 100 kms

bom caminho

abraço da Holanda

Hi Ricco:

I would dare to say yes, but on a bike the rule says that it must be 200 kms minimum. My guess is that you should start from Porto which will place you around 240 kms from Santiago.

If you are looking to certificate of distance, you need to collect at least one(1) stamp per day at least until you reach the 100 kms mark; from there on, you need two (2) stamps per day.

If you start from Porto, based in other threads, you can optain the Credential at the cathedral and at same time you first stamp.

Buen Camino
Yes on bike a minimum of 200 kms and 2 stamps per day . I saw several credentials from bikers with only 8 stamps , coming from Porto. So every day 2 stamps from the start is the safest way to get the Compostela. Most bikers ride Porto to Santiago in 4 days

When you enter the Sé cathedral in Porto by the main entrance, at the right side is a desk where they sell the credentials. Opposite is the Tourist Authority of Porto. I rembember you could obtain them there too.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Funny, I just finished the Portugues from Porto 3 weeks ago, doing the Variente and boat to Padron. No-one at the pilgrams office looked at a single stamp, just opened to the first page to get my name, wrote it on the Compostela, and sent me on my way!!!

There are.

The Variante Espiritual.

Baiona it is 280 km .

bom caminho
I’m planning the Spiritual Variant and the boat ride to Padron and now I understand, this route will NOT get me a credential. So I will get a final stamp from the pilgrim’s office in my passport.

I would like to ask, if I bring my pilgrims passport from 2013 for the Camino Frances, SJPdP to Santiago, can I get a certificate of distance?

I’m planning the Spiritual Variant and the boat ride to Padron and now I understand, this route will NOT get me a credential. So I will get a final stamp from the pilgrim’s office in my passport.

I would like to ask, if I bring my pilgrims passport from 2013 for the Camino Frances, SJPdP to Santiago, can I get a certificate of distance?
Hello:

Here is the catch. The Variante Espiritual is not a Camino per se as it does not meets the criteria of being at least 100 kms. So, if you are only doing the last 100 kms of the Portuguese Camino; then you must start; I quote the information in the Credential: “the Variante to qualify for a Compostela must at least begin in Vigo or Porriño.”

If you are walking the Portuguese Camino, lets say from Porto and decide to do the Variante, it will be valid. But remember, that from either Vigo or Porriño, you must get your Credential stamped at least two (2) times per day.

If you already have a Credential, then check the map for Portuguese Camino (check posting #15 of this thread) on the left hand side, is a caption in Spanish that mentions what I explained above.

Hope this helps clear your confusion, I also had it, but when I read the caption, got the reason. So, in summary, once you enter the last 100 kms range from Santiago; the pilgrim must get the two (2) daily stamps. This either you decide to do the Variante or not. The two (2) daily stamps on the las 100 kms rule is applicable to every Camino route.

Ivan_Prada

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

If you pass through Vigo or Porriño you will get the Compostela.

Hello:

Here is the catch. The Variante Espiritual is not a Camino per se as it does not meets the criteria of being at least 100 kms. So, if you are only doing the last 100 kms of the Portuguese Camino; then you must start; I quote the information in the Credential: “the Variante to qualify for a Compostela must at least begin in Vigo or Porriño.”

If you are walking the Portuguese Camino, lets say from Porto and decide to do the Variante, it will be valid. But remember, that from either Vigo or Porriño, you must get your Credential stamped at least two (2) times per day.

If you already have a Credential, then check the map for Portuguese Camino (check posting #15 of this thread) on the left hand side, is a caption in Spanish that mentions what I explained above.

Hope this helps clear your confusion, I also had it, but when I read the caption, got the reason. So, in summary, once you enter the last 100 kms range from Santiago; the pilgrim must get the two (2) daily stamps. This either you decide to do the Variante or not. The two (2) daily stamps on the las 100 kms rule is applicable to every Camino route.

Ivan_Prada
Thanks, I appreciate your long reply. I’ve walked three Camino’s and totally understand the 100k rule. That’s why I said I will only get the final stamp in my credential at the pilgrims office when I finish the Portuguese. I will forgo the Compostela.

My second questions is: let me word it a little differently.

I have a fully stamped credential from my Camino Frances from the year 2013. In 2013 I received a Compostela for my efforts. I’d like to know….
Can I bring that credential and get a distance certificate for it? Even though I did the pilgrimage in 2013?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks, I appreciate your long reply. I’ve walked three Camino’s and totally understand the 100k rule. That’s why I said I will only get the final stamp in my credential at the pilgrims office when I finish the Portuguese. I will forgo the Compostela.

I have a fully stamped credential from my Camino Frances from the year 2013. In 2013 I received a Compostela for my efforts. I’d like to know….
Can I bring that credential and get a distance certificate for it? Even though I did the pilgrimage in 2013?
Great! You are a veteran and know the rules regarding the 100 kms.

As for your second question, I do not have the answer, my only hope for an answer to your question, is that someone who has experience by having volunteered at the Pilgrim Office may have the answer.

Maybe you could open a thread in the forum with your question if there is not comments within a reasonable time for you.

In 2013 the certificate of Distance did not exist yet
I thought they introduced it round 2014 or 2015 but look at the annexed picture and do what you say . Take your full credential with you to the Pilgrims Office .

best regards
Albertinho

Attachments

• 7E2F827A-2E79-4696-87D7-1603BF869999.jpeg
    7E2F827A-2E79-4696-87D7-1603BF869999.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 21
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Funny, I just finished the Portugues from Porto 3 weeks ago, doing the Variente and boat to Padron. No-one at the pilgrams office looked at a single stamp, just opened to the first page to get my name, wrote it on the Compostela, and sent me on my way!!!
I hope they stamped your credential with the last stamp of the credential at two places, one underneath your personal information at page 2 and one after the last one from your last stage to Santiago. That’s the protocol.

Last edited:
Hello:

Ivan_Prada
You passed your exam for being future volunteer Ivan 😊💪

Hi everyone who has done the Varient Espiritual....do you have recommendation for accomodation in Armenteira & Vilanove da arousa please?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220616-121235_Office.jpg
    Screenshot_20220616-121235_Office.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 22
Hi everyone who has done the Varient Espiritual....do you have recommendation for accomodation in Armenteira & Vilanove da arousa please?
Just did this a couple of days ago and highly recommend it.

On day one there's nothing between Combarro and Armenteria so make sure to stock up on water in Combarro

Also, the two bars in Armenteria close their kitchens at some point in the day and only reopen at 19.00 so good idea to have a decent lunch in Combarro or you could be hungry and waiting

Albergue in Armenteria is v nice and comfortable. It is small but takes reservations +34 619 534 087 - call ahead - doors are locked at 9.30.

A Corticela (private albergue) in Vilanove da arousa is very good - no curfew

Buy the boat ticket the day before, online or at the shop on the riverside - you can't miss it

And don't eat in Taperia Pé de cuba in Vilanove da arousa - it was the worst food of my camino

Just did this a couple of days ago and highly recommend it.

On day one there's nothing between Combarro and Armenteria so make sure to stock up on water in Combarro

Also, the two bars in Armenteria close their kitchens at some point in the day and only reopen at 19.00 so good idea to have a decent lunch in Combarro or you could be hungry and waiting

Albergue in Armenteria is v nice and comfortable. It is small but takes reservations +34 619 534 087 - call ahead - doors are locked at 9.30.

A Corticela (private albergue) in Vilanove da arousa is very good - no curfew

Buy the boat ticket the day before, online or at the shop on the riverside - you can't miss it

And don't eat in Taperia Pé de cuba in Vilanove da arousa - it was the worst food of my camino

Thank you so much @phildimashq .... you've practically spoonfed me 🙂
Really looking forward to it

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We were there 2 weeks ago.
Maybe best to take a look at Tripadvisor.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you so much @phildimashq .... you've practically spoonfed me 🙂
Really looking forward to it
You're very welcome Sinéad.

One thing I forgot to mention was the Combarro (my lunch stop day one) is so beautiful I wish I had the time to spend a night there.

So if you have lots of time, I would recommend it. Little seaside town that is full of charm, absolutely stunning.

This would make day one very short (10 km Pontevedra to Combarro) and day two (10 km Combarro to Armenteira) would also be short but that part involves quite a climb in terms of elevation

You're very welcome Sinéad.

One thing I forgot to mention was the Combarro (my lunch stop day one) is so beautiful I wish I had the time to spend a night there.

So if you have lots of time, I would recommend it. Little seaside town that is full of charm, absolutely stunning.

This would make day one very short (10 km Pontevedra to Combarro) and day two (10 km Combarro to Armenteira) would also be short but that part involves quite a climb in terms of elevation
You could walk from Combarro via Armenteira and the route of Stone and Water to Barrantes where is restaurant Os Castaños where they rent some rooms. Doable in one day
next day to Villa Nova de Arousa

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back