• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Undecided about which Camino to walk...

Judy's Way

Time of past OR future Camino
Autumn (2015) and Spring (2019)
In the fall of 2015 my husband and I walked the Camino Frances from SJPDP to Santiago, taking seven weeks to do so. It wasn't life changing as it could have been if we were younger (my husband was 77 and I was 70), but it did turn out to be the most memorable experience of our lives. We were planning to return to Spain in the spring of 2019 to walk the Camino del Norte but now my husband feels physically unable to do it and urged me to go on my own. I took advantage of a Black Friday sale to book my flight to Spain at the end of April. Now I feel somewhat nervous about walking the Camino del Norte alone. Would I feel lonely or unsafe walking the Camino del Norte by myself? Should I walk the Camino Frances again, simply because I am familiar with it? Is my nervousness about walking the Camino del Norte alone unfounded?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked the Norte last year beginning in May and it was very cold and wet. I don't think the weather on the CF would have much different. There were plenty of pilgrims on the Norte in May so you won't be walking alone but finding a bed even that early in the season was an issue. The route is growing in its popularity and the support facilities are not keeping up with the demand. Sybille's suggestion to look at Porto to SdC is a good option. The Camino Madrid is another option to walk to Sahagun and join the CF. I did that last year as well, there are way fewer pilgrims, I walked alone and had a private albergues almost every night, but the scenery is incredible.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the Frances with my son in 2015, then we walked the Norte/Primitivo combo the following year, starting in mid April 2016. It was a wonderful experience, but we almost never saw any pilgrims during the day, only at night in the albergues. I would personally not care to walk it alone as a female. Possibly growth has increased since then as Don's experience seems to show, but for myself I wouldn't chance it. I also felt this route was more of a hike and less of a pilgrimage if that makes any difference to you.

Thank you all for the feedback. Much appreciated! I will do some research here on the Forum about the Portuguese route from Porto (love that city!) and the Camino Madrid. Perhaps the weather might be dryer on those routes at that time of year, especially compared with the Norte. Tomorrow I am going to a gathering of pilgrims who walked various Caminos this year and they are sure to have some valuable information as well. Walking the Camino Frances again will certainly be different from the first time: e.g. spring vs. fall; alone vs. together; albergues which offer communal meals vs. B&Bs which my husband preferred; taking slightly different routes/detours so as to see what we missed, e.g. Samos and La Faba. It will be a different journey, whichever route I take. Thanks again!

I’m planning the del Norte, starting 1st May, as a single 66 year old woman. I walked the CF in April-May this year and generally walked alone, stayed in Pensions and private Albergues but rarely spent evenings alone and enjoyed the camaraderie . So, this is an interesting discussion to me. I hadn’t really considered that it would be unsafe .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked the Frances with my son in 2015, then we walked the Norte/Primitivo combo the following year, starting in mid April 2016. It was a wonderful experience, but we almost never saw any pilgrims during the day, only at night in the albergues. I would personally not care to walk it alone as a female. Possibly growth has increased since then as Don's experience seems to show, but for myself I wouldn't chance it. I also felt this route was more of a hike and less of a pilgrimage if that makes any difference to you.
That the Camino del Norte is more of a hike and less of a pilgrimage than the Camino Frances makes a difference. When walking the CF with my husband in 2015 we attended just one service. It was in Rabanal del Camino where we heard beautiful Gregorian chanting in a tiny old stone church - one of our most memorable experiences. Those are the kinds of experiences I would like more of this time when walking alone.

I’ve waljed the Frances and did part of the Norte this past May and it was very wet and the mud sucked my shoes off. I was with other people but since I walk so slow U was by myself most of the time. I found it very difficult as there were many long up hill stretches and I fo not go uphill well. The scenery was beautiful and the places we stayed were lovely. Would I do it again? No, unless I did no more than 12-25 Kms a day.
This May am starting in Porto and walking slowly.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’m planning the del Norte, starting 1st May, as a single 66 year old woman. I walked the CF in April-May this year and generally walked alone, stayed in Pensions and private Albergues but rarely spent evenings alone and enjoyed the camaraderie . So, this is an interesting discussion to me. I hadn’t really considered that it would be unsafe .
Jan, your experience of walking alone but enjoying the camaraderie of others in the evening is what I am looking for. Staying mostly in B&Bs with my husband in 2015, I feel we missed out on much of that camaraderie. The camaraderie is what made my daughter's pilgrimage on the CF in 2013 magical. In 2016 she expected something similar on the Camino del Norte but, after walking for a few days, she took the bus to the CF and started walking from Pamplona, looking for that old 'magic.' Her advice to me is to 'let go of expectations,' - something she was unable to do! As far as feeling safe on the Norte, though, my daughter never felt unsafe even though she didn't see many pilgrims on the trail. She also said it felt less like a pilgrimage because there were fewer pilgrims and she felt 'lost' among all the tourists in the beach towns. The scenery was incredible, though! She wrote in her blog about all of her Camino experiences which you might find interesting: www.mymeseta.com.

I’ve waljed the Frances and did part of the Norte this past May and it was very wet and the mud sucked my shoes off. I was with other people but since I walk so slow U was by myself most of the time. I found it very difficult as there were many long up hill stretches and I fo not go uphill well. The scenery was beautiful and the places we stayed were lovely. Would I do it again? No, unless I did no more than 12-25 Kms a day.
This May am starting in Porto and walking slowly.
Gloria, that's the distance I prefer to walk in a day, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. with plenty of cafe con leche and lunch stops. On less travelled routes there may not be as many options to stop when you want to. That actually happened to my husband and I at the end of October on the CF. It was late in the season and places in the little towns where we thought we would stay had closed for the season. We walked 32 km that day - too far for us. Everything hurt! Wet weather with mud that sucks at your boots could be a problem, too!

With respect to the wet weather on the Norte this past May, it was an unusually wet spring this year. I walked the Norte in mid-May-June of 2017 and only dealt with mud on 2 days.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
With respect to the wet weather on the Norte this past May, it was an unusually wet spring this year. I walked the Norte in mid-May-June of 2017 and only dealt with mud on 2 days.
Not only was it an unusually wet spring, it was a very wet summer! I walked the Norte in July and August - typically the driest months, but had a lot of rain and of course mud. Fortunately, it wasn't cold. I learned not to dread the rain, and it was actually kind of fun walking in the rain all day.

Not only was it an unusually wet spring, it was a very wet summer! I walked the Norte in July and August - typically the driest months, but had a lot of rain and of course mud. Fortunately, it wasn't cold. I learned not to dread the rain, and it was actually kind of fun walking in the rain all day.
and this was this past July\August, 2018?

I didn't mean to make bad weather a reason to question walking the Norte. I have walked in sleet, snow, rain and heat on a number of the Caminos at various times of the year and know there is no reasonable predictor to pick the right dates to start.

Jan, your experience of walking alone but enjoying the camaraderie of others in the evening is what I am looking for. Staying mostly in B&Bs with my husband in 2015, I feel we missed out on much of that camaraderie. The camaraderie is what made my daughter's pilgrimage on the CF in 2013 magical. In 2016 she expected something similar on the Camino del Norte but, after walking for a few days, she took the bus to the CF and started walking from Pamplona, looking for that old 'magic.' Her advice to me is to 'let go of expectations,' - something she was unable to do! As far as feeling safe on the Norte, though, my daughter never felt unsafe even though she didn't see many pilgrims on the trail. She also said it felt less like a pilgrimage because there were fewer pilgrims and she felt 'lost' among all the tourists in the beach towns. The scenery was incredible, though! She wrote in her blog about all of her Camino experiences which you might find interesting: www.mymeseta.com.
Thanks Judy, At the moment I’m sticking with my del Norte plans, I’ve worked out a route which is mostly under 24 kms a day, some quite a bit shorter , based on availability of hostels , pensions etc. I’ve actually started booking because of the tourist issue. I know that many people like to be flexible on a day to day basis but knowing I’ll have a bed at the end of the day is very comforting . I know I’m lucky to be able to afford this luxury and for some it is not a proper Camino . I also will have my pack transferred - again a luxury but I want to enjoy my walk and being small and short even my day pack is heavy enough once I add water, poncho, wind jacket, bananas etc. As a single walker this year I did notice that I made friends much more readily than many of the couples. People tend to assume they are self contained.
All that said I do worry about too much solitude. Que sera sera.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Judy, At the moment I’m sticking with my del Norte plans, I’ve worked out a route which is mostly under 24 kms a day, some quite a bit shorter , based on availability of hostels , pensions etc. I’ve actually started booking because of the tourist issue. I know that many people like to be flexible on a day to day basis but knowing I’ll have a bed at the end of the day is very comforting . I know I’m lucky to be able to afford this luxury and for some it is not a proper Camino . I also will have my pack transferred - again a luxury but I want to enjoy my walk and being small and short even my day pack is heavy enough once I add water, poncho, wind jacket, bananas etc. As a single walker this year I did notice that I made friends much more readily than many of the couples. People tend to assume they are self contained.
All that said I do worry about too much solitude. Que sera sera.
It sounds like you will have your Camino well planned, Jan, as far as distances you want to walk and accommodations so you can have your pack transferred. Buen Camino!!! :)

This is an interesting thread for me as my wife and I are planing to do del Norte then crossing to El Primitivo, starting mid May 2019. I have been concerned about rain, mud etc. The comments from several people have led me to accept that the weather is not predictable and its best to finalise our start date and accept it as it turns out.
Thanks to all who provided comments.

That the Camino del Norte is more of a hike and less of a pilgrimage than the Camino Frances makes a difference. When walking the CF with my husband in 2015 we attended just one service. It was in Rabanal del Camino where we heard beautiful Gregorian chanting in a tiny old stone church - one of our most memorable experiences. Those are the kinds of experiences I would like more of this time when walking alone.
Hello Judy. If you're looking for more services/open churches, I found the Norte lacking in both this year compared to the Frances in 2016. Loved the Norte but it is much quieter too. Personally I would have found it a little lonely walking alone. Hoping you have a wonderful Camino whatever you choose 👣

October 2019 ... Camino Via de la Plata. Having trekked the Frances twice, we wish to have a different experience for our next.

In the fall of 2015 my husband and I walked the Camino Frances from SJPDP to Santiago, taking seven weeks to do so. It wasn't life changing as it could have been if we were younger (my husband was 77 and I was 70), but it did turn out to be the most memorable experience of our lives. We were planning to return to Spain in the spring of 2019 to walk the Camino del Norte but now my husband feels physically unable to do it and urged me to go on my own. I took advantage of a Black Friday sale to book my flight to Spain at the end of April. Now I feel somewhat nervous about walking the Camino del Norte alone. Would I feel lonely or unsafe walking the Camino del Norte by myself? Should I walk the Camino Frances again, simply because I am familiar with it? Is my nervousness about walking the Camino del Norte alone unfounded?
Thanks to everyone for your input. It is so much appreciated! Here is an update. My plan has evolved considerably! It is to walk the Camino Frances solo from St. Jean Pied de Port to Leon, about 25 days starting on April 19th. From there I will take a bus to Oviedo (Little Santiago). I am happy to report that my husband's health issue has improved so well that he will meet me in Oviedo after walking the del Norte for a little more than a week. Together we'll walk the Camino Primitivo starting on May 14th - a challenging route, especially given our ages (my husband is 80!). We'll take as much time as we need. As for me, I feel this plan offers the best of both worlds - the much busier Camino Frances (more of a pilgrimage) contrasting with the solitude of the Primitivo (more of a hike!?) ...the best of both worlds?!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am happy to report that my husband's health issue has improved so well that he will meet me in Oviedo after walking the del Norte for a little more than a week.

That really is wonderful news! 😊 (I just read this thread in one go, started out feeling sad that he couldn't come, then got to the joyful update two minutes later - what a rollercoaster!)

Anyway seems like you've worked out a good balance; what a wonderful adventure to look forward to!

On Good Friday I will be walking in the south and think of you two, like the song says may the best of your today’s be the worst of your tomorrows.

Not only was it an unusually wet spring, it was a very wet summer!
According to my Spanish friends who live there, it is always very wet! 😀 A bit like Brittany in France or Devon in England 😀 Needless to say, when I went to join them there after my camino francés (2016), the weather was beautifully hot and dry. :rolleyes:😎

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back