• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Undecided about your next Camino?

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Welcome to the club!
Here's a place to hash out all the possible ideas.

My indecision is all over the map.
First about timing...It pans out that I likely have part of June til the end of July--when I need to be in Avila for a meeting. I though I had May but it would only be for 2 1/2 or 3 weeks. I envy all those of you who do not need to worry about your Schengen visas...I have to figure out how to avoid overstaying...I arrive in Europe in early April for commitments in Holland, so...

Then where, oh, where??....Would love more quiet, which means the Frances is mostly out. Thinking of starting in Sahgun (where I left off last year) to Leon to Oviedo then the Primativo. Or...?
I'm not so wild about the heat so lots of other options fall by the wayside (Madrid/VdlP). the Invierno is a possibility but that means staying on the CF for a longer ways........

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ok, Viranani, I'm in! I am like a sheet flapping in the wind, one minute thinking I'll walk Arles to Pamplona, the other minute I am drawn back to the Norte.

But as to your "dilemma." Part of June till end of July gives you LOTS of time. Are you drawn at all to France? I have walked from LePuy and it is beautiful. Not as much in the way of "camino feel", though, which is what is giving me pause about Arles.

If Spain, then a few things pop into my mind that would avoid the Frances. The Olvidado from Bilbao, which goes to Ponferrada and from there the Invierno is one possibility. Ender has been working on signage on the Olvidado, Susanna and I wrote up a little guide, and it is quite nice. And he tells me there are albergues popping up, but I haven't really investigated it.

Lebaniego and VAdiniense from San Vicente de la Barquera (I started a few days back in Santander, but it's four days of asphalt to San Vicente) to Leon and from there Salvador/Primitivo.

Or more obviously, the Norte from Irun. It's beautiful, and you can choose either to dip down to Oviedo at Villaviciosa or continue on the Norte through Ribadeo and then down through Galicia.

I loved the St. Jaume from near the French border on the coast (either Port de la Selva or Llanca down to Montserrat) but accommodations are on the higher end because there is very little in the way of albergues. I met LTfit in Montserrat and we continued on the Camino Catalan through Huesca and then the ARagones. That was a beautiful walk, except that in June, Aragon before Huesca was pretty barren and brown. And the towns on that part not so special or wonderful (I don't mean to sound dismissive because there are lots of beautiful places and people on every camino, but if you have to choose, this one would not rank highest on my list of most beautiful caminos).

Do you want to end in Santiago?

For starters I would take a look at Ray y Rosa's map, you can get a sense of what's up north. http://www.rayyrosa.com/loscaminos

Time to obsess and revel in the obsession! Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When are you walking, Laurie--still May?
And what happened to the Torres?
(Yes, I've bookmarked posts about the Olvidado...but then I've bookmarked more than a few others, too....:D)
And Sybile, yes yes yes!...that's the cherry on the top after I get to Santiago!
About to send you a PM about timing

Completely agree with Laurie about the lack of 'Camino feeling' on Le puy...
Would say Vezelay is possibly the itinerary that reminds me more of the spanish caminos....if you like solitude that's the right one...

I envy all those of you who do not need to worry about your Schengen visas...I have to figure out how to avoid overstaying...I arrive in Europe in early April for commitments in Holland, so...
How about a pilgrimage route in Ireland, the U.K., Norway or Turkey so the time isn't applied toward the Schengen visa?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
How about a pilgrimage route in Ireland, the U.K., Norway or Turkey so the time isn't applied toward the Schengen visa?
Great idea, Rick, which I've also considered but for some reason it doesn't call me. Go figure. But I will go to have some quiet time someplace, GB or Ireland...

I have to say I am planning to hit the Primitivo next May/June. Now that I know I can walk 250km carrying a 16kg pack, I think its time to attempt something slightly longer. Planning to boat to Santander, train to Oviedo, and start from there. I have actually set foot on the Primitivo while I was in Spain two weeks back, while trying to locate someone in a village near Oviedo. I turned around and thwack there's a Camino sign and arrow and I realised this must be the Primitivo I had read about. Definitely going back to do it.

Also my parents want to do the Portuguese Camino, either starting from Porto (or if I convince them and can plan it, maybe Lisbon). We would be cycling for that one. Current rough plans would have us doing it next September/October.

The year after that I want to get my Via de la Plata badge. :)

I am glad I did a bit this year. It has given me a massive boost to confidence and self belief. Next year it starts for real.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Camino Ingles backwards to Ferrol and then it is 2-3 days through unchartered territory (there might even be dragons ;-) but I also think that @JohnnieWalker and @Smallest_Sparrow have information regarding that route. Buen Camino, SY

Thanks SY, that was how I was thinking. Dragons in darkest Galicia: what fun!!

And Viranani, thanks for the map!

I'm undecided too. My first thought was the Via Francigena as a 3 year project, but I'd like to walk with a pilgrim I met on the Frances this past spring and she is worried about the lack of signage and the loneliness of the VF in France. I don't worry about such things - others have done it so why not me? But I do want to consider her concerns as well. She is thinking along the lines of Le Puy or the Norte. I am fluent in a not too beautiful French and I'd love to walk in France, but wonder about the Le Puy route being too busy. I'd rather be a bit lonely than being on a too busy path. Anyway, I've been thinking about the Piemont or Arles route. If I lived in Europe, I'd probably try walking from home, that would help settle the "which path" question!:rolleyes: We are both researching and will be discussing options (including the VF, I hope - studying Italian just in case!). Anyway, it's great to have the problem of which route to take, isn't it? I will have 4-5 weeks, travel time to my destination and back home included, and am planning for late spring. Happy researching and deciding everyone!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I suffer from a load of life threatening illnesses. Have to carry my own life support kit. But joking aside, I do indeed suffer from a few things, mainly really severe allergies that when triggered cause my throat and tongue to swell up and essentially try to kill me. So as you guessed I carry camping gear (I try and avoid albergues/hostels due to people eating things im allergic to). On a side note, I had one of those hits at Gonzar's church albergue three weeks back that took 2 piriton, 40mg pred and 0.5mg of adrenaline to sort out (also several bottles of estrella, but that was more to take the edge of the adrenaline side effects). I also have to carry alot of other heavy meds for other things. My medical loadout was 2.5kg. Yes, if you have perfect health im sure its brilliant walking with a 2kg day pack, but thats not my reality, so I just get on with it.

I suffer from a load of life threatening illnesses. Have to carry my own life support kit. But joking aside, I do indeed suffer from a few things, mainly really severe allergies that when triggered cause my throat and tongue to swell up and essentially try to kill me. So as you guessed I carry camping gear (I try and avoid albergues/hostels due to people eating things im allergic to). On a side note, I had one of those hits at Gonzar's church albergue three weeks back that took 2 piriton, 40mg pred and 0.5mg of adrenaline to sort out (also several bottles of estrella, but that was more to take the edge of the adrenaline side effects). I also have to carry alot of other heavy meds for other things. My medical loadout was 2.5kg. Yes, if you have perfect health im sure its brilliant walking with a 2kg day pack, but thats not my reality, so I just get on with it.
that's quite a lot...so I'm guessing you have to cook for yourself, also? Did you find it isolating to be apart from albergues, restaurants, etc if that's not too nosy to ask (because some folks post about wanting to camp, but they also want to have all the usual pilgrim get togethers, and it seems camping/eating by yourself limits that)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
that's quite a lot...so I'm guessing you have to cook for yourself, also? Did you find it isolating to be apart from albergues, restaurants, etc if that's not too nosy to ask (because some folks post about wanting to camp, but they also want to have all the usual pilgrim get togethers, and it seems camping/eating by yourself limits that)

Yes and no.

I would love to have spent more time in albergues, but its a risk for me. I did it five times on my journey (Villada, Acebo, Sarria, Gonzar and Arzua). I suffered one bad session at Gonzar, but I came prepared with essentially 8 epipens, and over 100 anti-histamines and steroid tablets. That night was also the most amusing since I was the only english speaker there, and I spoke maybe 30 words of Spanish. Everyone ignored me except for a girl from Hong Kong who spoke chinese (which I dont speak).

While camping I met Manoel (or Manuel) a guy who had walked from Germany with his dog and for obvious reasons camped every night. Also a lady at Rabanal who was also walking with a dog, camping and spoke no english. So people who camp do exist. But at the same time it was starting to get rather cold at night, especially on the plains section from Villada to Leon.

Im afraid I havent done any food eateries even here in the UK for over 6 years, so I didnt really notice that. But I did hate the fact I couldnt stop at cafes for the most part, but I broke the rule while walking to El Ganso with a sweet german lady, and bought a coke at a cafe/bar at the village before El Ganso (its name escapes me). But that was the only time. I stayed at that big Mafia Hideout albergue at Acebo, the one with bars and restaurants and a swimming pool, and the nice young lady allowed me to buy some emmental cheese and a litre of fruit juice for (my adventurous) dinner. "I guess im the problem peregrino" I said, and she laughed, but I guess its true. I could only buy 2 things in their supermarket, that I knew wouldnt put me in the ground. ;)

Yes it limits everything. For the first five days I avoided people. I cant do communal dinners, as much as I would like to, so theirs no point dwelling on it. After that I walked with others and chatted. I didnt meet a massive number of english speakers until maybe Sarria. Then all the Americans that had been hiding for the prior 8 days started to appear and I once again managed to have some chats with people. If I could their was an albergue with 400 beds near the airport that I wanted to try out, just because it had 400 beds, and sounded like the party house for the finishers. I never made it there. Maybe next time.

Also my next trip wont have a 16kg pack in it. I am aiming for nearer to 12kg. By spending some money I can probably cut the loadout down. This time some corners got cut, and in hindsight it wasnt the wisest choice Ive ever made. If I had invested in a 1kg ultralight tent and a 0.5kg sleeping bag, I would have saved 3kg. SImilarly I had to many clothes. Two t-shirts and two shorts would have done fine. Also didnt need the second pair of shoes. I reckon my next pack will be about 10-11kg which should be better.

I dont know if that answers your question well enough, but hopefully it does a bit.

Yes and no.

I would love to have spent more time in albergues, but its a risk for me. I did it five times on my journey (Villada, Acebo, Sarria, Gonzar and Arzua). I suffered one bad session at Gonzar, but I came prepared with essentially 8 epipens, and over 100 anti-histamines and steroid tablets. That night was also the most amusing since I was the only english speaker there, and I spoke maybe 30 words of Spanish. Everyone ignored me except for a girl from Hong Kong who spoke chinese (which I dont speak).

While camping I met Manoel (or Manuel) a guy who had walked from Germany with his dog and for obvious reasons camped every night. Also a lady at Rabanal who was also walking with a dog, camping and spoke no english. So people who camp do exist. But at the same time it was starting to get rather cold at night, especially on the plains section from Villada to Leon.

Im afraid I havent done any food eateries even here in the UK for over 6 years, so I didnt really notice that. But I did hate the fact I couldnt stop at cafes for the most part, but I broke the rule while walking to El Ganso with a sweet german lady, and bought a coke at a cafe/bar at the village before El Ganso (its name escapes me). But that was the only time. I stayed at that big Mafia Hideout albergue at Acebo, the one with bars and restaurants and a swimming pool, and the nice young lady allowed me to buy some emmental cheese and a litre of fruit juice for (my adventurous) dinner. "I guess im the problem peregrino" I said, and she laughed, but I guess its true. I could only buy 2 things in their supermarket, that I knew wouldnt put me in the ground. ;)

Yes it limits everything. For the first five days I avoided people. I cant do communal dinners, as much as I would like to, so theirs no point dwelling on it. After that I walked with others and chatted. I didnt meet a massive number of english speakers until maybe Sarria. Then all the Americans that had been hiding for the prior 8 days started to appear and I once again managed to have some chats with people. If I could their was an albergue with 400 beds near the airport that I wanted to try out, just because it had 400 beds, and sounded like the party house for the finishers. I never made it there. Maybe next time.

Also my next trip wont have a 16kg pack in it. I am aiming for nearer to 12kg. By spending some money I can probably cut the loadout down. This time some corners got cut, and in hindsight it wasnt the wisest choice Ive ever made. If I had invested in a 1kg ultralight tent and a 0.5kg sleeping bag, I would have saved 3kg. SImilarly I had to many clothes. Two t-shirts and two shorts would have done fine. Also didnt need the second pair of shoes. I reckon my next pack will be about 10-11kg which should be better.

I dont know if that answers your question well enough, but hopefully it does a bit.

It does, thank you so much. I will try to figure out how to bookmark your answer, so the next time someone asks about camping I will have an answer about some of those things from someone who camped (I could only say what I thought it would be like). I'm sorry you have to go through so much with your condition(s), and I hope things will stay manageable, or even, God willing, improve. I know pensions can be costly (but so can ultralight gear...yikes, $400 for a tent), but sometimes they have good deals (or private rooms in albergues)-- so I hope you find a way to stay warm and healthy as you walk. best wishes on your coming caminos, and for your health

on topic, if I am ever able to return to Spain, I am torn between two sets of two caminos each: either walk from Burgos (because I missed it last time) to Leon, then up Salvador and back down Primitivo (shh, keep the secret), or Ignaciano and all of the Cami Sant Jaume (not just the one step I walked before). I am hesitant to re-walk the Primitivo because no route can be the same again, and on the Jaume I only walked a small part....but I did so love the Primitivo.

well, it is at least a couple of years off...so in the meantime, the El Camino Real is calling my name (and eyeing my wallet).

The Le Puy route is on my short list for a 2017 camino, along with the Norte and VdlP. I am wondering about the comments a few people made about the "lack of a camino feel" on the le Puy route - what experience (s) prompted that remark? Would anyone be willing to comment on the "Camino feeling " aspect of the Norte or the VdlP. Thanks for commenting.

I loved the Le Puy enough that I went back and did it a second time. But I would also put in a plug for the Norte. I've just reread my live thread, and it revived how fabulous it was. Even though we had quite a bit of rain. We did take a tent, so it may be of interest to those of you thinking about it. My posts were very intermittent, I seemed to post mainly when it rained, probably because they were the days we did not go exploring at the end of the day. It's here if anyone is interested.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And bumping this thread here, because it has a number of good suggestions from folks about the Olvidado, and other out of the way places:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...of-company-are-you-up-for-an-adventure.40899/
And @navarro just posted a very enticing link here
I've just visited Santa María de Lara, a rare visigothic church of c650AD in the sierra de la Demanda, south of Burgos. It's an amazing building, just outside the village of Quintanilla de las Viñas. The walls are covered with intricate stylised carvings showing plants, birds, vines and dogs. Inside is what is believed to be the earliest representation of Christ in Spain, and a sun and moon which later would probably raise questions of paganism from any sharp-eyed Inquisitor. After the reconquista, in about 880AD, it was restored, possibly with funding from Doña Mumadona, mother of Fernán González, the count of Castille.

Well worth a detour
I visited it this summer. If you enjoy with this kid of monuments, dont forget to visit Santa Maria del Arco at Tricio 4 Km from Nájera. and a little far San Millán de Suso Abot 20 km from Nájera.

https://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwit1Z3bgpTQAhVYFMAKHd3ADaIQFgg-MAU&url=http://cienleguasalaredonda.blogspot.com/2016/09/por-donde-nacio-castilla-tierras-de-lara.html&usg=AFQjCNHQDAtBfGkOAqOzE1zkrASLDR-8EA&sig2=iveqv30E44ECscsjhBwPcQ&bvm=bv.137904068,d.d24
Wow, I'd go back through that part of the world again in a heartbeat. It was a 10 out of 10.

I loved the Le Puy enough that I went back and did it a second time. But I would also put in a plug for the Norte. I've just reread my live thread, and it revived how fabulous it was. Even though we had quite a bit of rain. We did take a tent, so it may be of interest to those of you thinking about it. My posts were very intermittent, I seemed to post mainly when it rained, probably because they were the days we did not go exploring at the end of the day. It's here if anyone is interested.

Kanga, thanks for sharing your journey. Whenever I think I've figured out which Camino for 2017, a new blog post comes along that looks really, really interesting. Of course I probably can't go too wrong when deciding between the Norte, the LePuy route or VdlP.

Another consideration is that I will be traveling solo and would like the opportunity for the company of other pilgrims along the way - if not during the day walking then in the evening at the alberques/hostales. Any one of these routes better than another in that respect? Will likely be walking either May-June or Sept.-Oct.

@intrepidtraveler for companionship (unless you are a native French speaker) I think the Norte or the VdlP. There were certainly other English speakers on the Norte and although I have not walked the VdlP the desire for some company is one of the reasons we have chosen it for our April/May walk. The Le Puy is great, but we found that 90% of the other walkers were French, often only walking short distances.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@intrepidtraveler for companionship (unless you are a native French speaker) I think the Norte or the VdlP. There were certainly other English speakers on the Norte and although I have not walked the VdlP the desire for some company is one of the reasons we have chosen it for our April/May walk. The Le Puy is great, but we found that 90% of the other walkers were French, often only walking short distances.

Congratulations -- one less person in the "undecided" category. :) I really think you will be very happy with your choice!

After my first Camino, with a week to spare before my flight home, I went to the railway station st SDC with the intention (and did) of catching the first train to leave the station, regardless of whether it went north, south, east or west ....
Sometimes it is fun to let go.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Maybe!...but then I would have to vamoose out of the Schengen zone for 15-20 days in July.
Hmmm. Worth a change of plans!
Wish I could lend you my Irish passport. :) So this means you have a total of 90 days and would have to park yourself in some non-Schengen country for a few weeks? Even if you don't walk the Baztanes, aren't you going to have to get out of dodge for some weeks anyway?

You lucky duckie, Laurie. I am totally envious.:oops:
aren't you going to have to get out of dodge for some weeks anyway?
So yes, I will. I was thinking to duck out in May but would rather walk the Baztan together with you! I have to be in Ireland briefly in mid June, anyway...so instead of coming right back to Spain I'll find a way to stay away for enough time so that I can do some walking in July (at least with you, Sybile, if not more), and still have enough days on the visa to go to the meeting at the end of the month.

So yes, I will. I was thinking to duck out in May but would rather walk the Baztan together with you! I have to be in Ireland briefly in mid June, anyway...so instead of coming right back to Spain I'll find a way to stay away for enough time so that I can do some walking in July (at least with you, Sybile, if not more), and still have enough days on the visa to go to the meeting at the end of the month.
Sounds like fun. Too bad my plans are likely for March and April! However, come to think of it, I will probably be back in Europe in July although I hadn't planned to include a walking trip then.... Hmmmm!:rolleyes:

Agree with you, Kanga, the Puy Way is a wonderful walk; however to socialise it is better to be able to understand a reasonable amount of French and at least speak a little. The majority of people were French speaking and often only walking a short distance as you say. We met two Australians, five Americans and a bilingual French Canadian. That was it for English speakers. We did not mind as we are trying to learn to speak French, but we did not form as many friendships as we did the previous year on the Camino Frances. We loved staying in the Gites though as the food was really good, we were made to feel very welcome and often had rooms to ourselves even when only booking a bed.

We are also undecided but considering the Del Norte for Spring 2017. However, I prefer not to walk more than about 20km per day and I think some of the stretches may be too long without accommodation?? We don't mind taking private rooms, staying in pensions or hotels if necessary to break up the stages. We would normally prefer to stay in Albergues if available and can walk a few longer days if need be.

We are also undecided but considering the Del Norte for Spring 2017. However, I prefer not to walk more than about 20km per day and I think some of the stretches may be too long without accommodation?? We don't mind taking private rooms, staying in pensions or hotels if necessary to break up the stages. We would normally prefer to stay in Albergues if available and can walk a few longer days if need be.
If you don't mind pensions I think you could do the Norte...it's been a while since I walked, so I can't say for sure there are always hotels but I'm pretty sure you could find something. Another option that is very easy on the Norte, is they have excellent public transportation. So if you find a 'base station' you like you can use public transport to get you to and from start and end points if there's nothing where you want to end the day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you don't mind pensions I think you could do the Norte...it's been a while since I walked, so I can't say for sure there are always hotels but I'm pretty sure you could find something. Another option that is very easy on the Norte, is they have excellent public transportation. So if you find a 'base station' you like you can use public transport to get you to and from start and end points if there's nothing where you want to end the day.
Thank you @Smallest_Sparrow for your quick reply, and your suggestion to use public transport.

Which route would you take? I am thinking of doing this in 2018.

I walked from San Andres de Teixido to Ferrol (Neda) this year. I recorded my path on GPS. If you are interested I could send you a link.
It's a very strange place, in a breathtaking setting.

However, come to think of it, I will probably be back in Europe in July although I hadn't planned to include a walking trip then.... Hmmmm!:rolleyes:
Hmmmm, indeed! ;)

I walked from San Andres de Teixido to Ferrol (Neda) this year. I recorded my path on GPS. If you are interested I could send you a link.
Yes please--and @SYates would likely appreciate it too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Viranani I finished up at A Coruña - so not far! But that led me to take local buses and eventually the little small gauge railway along the north coast, dropping in and out of seaside towns.

@Lucy Longpath we had no problem finding accommodation close together on the Norte - it is a holiday area and as long as you are not completely dependant on albergues there is plenty of choice. I can't recall any long distances - I'm quite sure you can keep the daily km under 20 if you want.

The food is also excellent! Asturias, Cantabria, Galicia - gastronomic paradise.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's a very strange place, in a breathtaking setting.

Me also interested! :D Also, where did you stay between Ferrol and San Andres? And did you find accommodation in San Andres itself? Thanks, SY

@Viranani, @SYates
I have 'joined the dots' of my camino between Ribadeo and Ferrol (Neda) - you can find it in this link.

The section that included San Andres de Teixido was from Porto de Espasante to Cedeira (with a short ride on the Feve to get past the mud flats at Ortigueira). You can see it on Wikiloc here and read about the day in my blog post here
San Andres.jpg

Last edited:
Me also interested! :D Also, where did you stay between Ferrol and San Andres? And did you find accommodation in San Andres itself? Thanks, SY

I stayed in Cedeira after San Andres. I would imagine there is accommodation in the village - tourism appeared to be the main trade there. The walk from Cedeira to Neda was entirely on main road which was not pleasant, but I am sure if you had more time to spare you could find a nicer trail. I am happy to help with any questions you may have.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Viranani, @SYates
I have 'joined the dots' of my camino between Ribadeo and Ferrol (Neda) - you can find it in this link.

The section that included San Andres de Teixido was from Porto de Espasante to Cedeira (with a short tide on the Feve to get past the mud flats at Ortigueira). You can see it on Wikiloc here and read about the day in my blog post here
View attachment 30227

Ahhh, Maggie, your post reminds me I will have more decisions to make! Should I stick to the Norte or veer off to the Ruta deal Mar/Inglés?! I think I will leave that decision till I'm there and walking, but will read your blog carefully.

Ahhh, Maggie, your post reminds me I will have more decisions to make! Should I stick to the Norte or veer off to the Ruta deal Mar/Inglés?! I think I will leave that decision till I'm there and walking, but will read your blog carefully.

Although I really wanted to walk this route, I had an open mind until the last moment, as I didn't want to tackle it if the weather threatened to be unpleasant. In the event I was lucky and I am so glad that I continued along the coast - it was a fabulous walk and an amazing adventure.

@Lucy Longpath we had no problem finding accommodation close together on the Norte - it is a holiday area and as long as you are not completely dependant on albergues there is plenty of choice. I can't recall any long distances - I'm quite sure you can keep the daily km under 20 if you want.

The food is also excellent! Asturias, Cantabria, Galicia - gastronomic paradise.
@Kanga thank you for this information. We are thinking of changing our plan to walk a much shorter camino next year due to time constraints. We are thinking of the Camino Madrid and stopping at Sahagun. We do still want to walk the Del Norte though and will probably try to make the time for it the following year.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My travel schedule is getting a bit crowded for next year, with a trip to visit family in Kenya scheduled for over Christmas and possibly combined with time in Egypt with a family member. But I am considering whether I could fit in a camino either going to Kenya or returning. I might try a shorter camino on one of the Tunnel routes, starting in Bayonne or Irun, or see if I could fit in the VdlP, probably as a winter camino, on the way home from Africa. Winter rain does not much appeal to me; I definitely prefer snow. But I walk best in cooler temperatures and may not have many years to be able to walk the longer routes. Now that I know that the camino functions as retreat time for me, I hope to be able to fit one into my annual schedule.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back