• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Under The Milky Way

Hermanita

Hermanita's blog
http://www.rita-underthemilkyway.blogspot.com

It is getting close now. I start to walk September 8th. Doing lots of training and organizing my kit, buying last minute things that I need, etc., etc.
Dreaming ,thinking, and planning Camino each day!!!

This forum has been the sooo helpful. I love reading everyone's recommendations, stories, remedies and it has helped me so much in preparing for my Camino.

I wish more people would post their blog here. It kept me so motivated to read Ian's blog and others that I found through a google search. I think others will benefit, as I did, from reading about those on the Camino.

I hope to meet some of you on the Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Rita for your blog address: have added it to my blog sidebar so I can follow you as you go! I was glad to read your homemade rehydration tips as well: will make something similar when our summer comes closer and I get out walking more.
Jacki, all the best to you as well!
Margaret

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Jacki
I hope we do meet, but even if we don't, I am sure you will meet many nice people and have some wonderful and extraordinary experiences.
Hugs and good luck
Rita

Hi Margaret
I am glad I found that drink myself. It has been working out well for me. My grandson, who is a wannabe boxer loves it when he is working out or running.

If you do try it, be mindful if you have any heart problems or are on any meds, as the Litesalt (potassium based) may not be right for you. But I suppose you could make the drink without the Litesalt and it would still be effective.

I wonder if I can find Tang in Spain :?:

Jacki Dufty said:
Hi Rita,
We start from SJPP on 6th Sept. but will be walking slowly so, hopefully, we will meet.
I am getting nervous!
Jacki.
HI jackie i start alone from st jean on the 6 of sep,i too am nervous and will walk slowly i have not done much training as i am a hostel owner and i have had a busy season working in south west kerry i am looking foreword to setting out on the road with nothing to do but walk and nobody to look after but myself,also i am hopeing to meet lots of friends along the way .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi lilloby,
My husband will be walking with me and he hasn't had much time for training either so we will only walk to Orrison on the first day. I hope we will meet you.
Jacki.

Jacki Dufty said:
My husband will be walking with me and he hasn't had much time for training either so we will only walk to Orrison on the first day. I hope we will meet you.
Jacki.

Hi Jacki,
My husband will walk with me also, and he hasn't had mcuh training either, but he is a runner and is very stron. He is starting to walk more now.
We will start in Roncesvalles on the 8th, so we may meet up. I hope so.

lilloby said:
i start alone from st jean on the 6 of sep,i too am nervous and will walk slowly i have not done much training as i am a hostel owner and i have had a busy season working in south west kerry i am looking foreword to setting out on the road with nothing to do but walk and nobody to look after but myself,also i am hopeing to meet lots of friends along the way .

Hi lilloby
I guess it is natural for us first time walkers to be a bit nervous. It is a huge undertaking.
I have been training like crazy, up to walking 6 hours some days now...but I am nervous too.

I read a great Camino book by Joyce Rupp "Walk In A Relaxed Manner" the title says it all. And that is what i intend to do.... walk in a relaxed manner!!

Good Luck to both of you. I hope we meet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
reading you all brings my own start back to me so clearly, and if I'am honest jealous of what you have in front of you, as Rita says "walk in a relaxed manner" my Spanish isn't too good ( or my spelling) but the word I used the most was "Tranquilo" walk slow and take it all in.
Bon Camino to you all
Ian

sagalouts said:
reading you all brings my own start back to me so clearly, and if I'am honest jealous of what you have in front of you, as Rita says "walk in a relaxed manner" my Spanish isn't too good ( or my spelling) but the word I used the most was "Tranquilo" walk slow and take it all in.
Bon Camino to you all
Ian

Well Ian, there is always next year!! You can do the French Road again or try another route.
I am thinking of volunteering as hospitalera next year, and then walk from where ever I am to Santiago.
Maybe you may want to try volunteering for a few weeks, then walk from where you are.

But in the meantime you can "follow" us along the way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Annette said:
Hi Hermanita,

Dont worry - We do have Tang here in Spain - in serveral flavours... ;-)

Hi Annette
I did find out about the Tang from someone. But I am not sure the extra weight will be worth it. Unless they sell it in small quantities to buy every few days. Or I could find someone to share it with.

I see you will be walking again this fall. Best of luck!!

Hermanita,

I don't know if it is worth it or.... but here you can also buy tang as a powder to dissolve. It comes in an "envelope", and you can use the amount you need. One envelope does not weigh much... but of course it all counts...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yeah, my dad was a real NASA-nut. We drank Tang & my older brother had an astronaut lunch box. I also remember seeing a coffee can (Folger's?) that had a NASA/Apollo mission theme. It was a really big thing back in the late 60s-early 70s.

Kelly

Annette said:
Hermanita,

I don't know if it is worth it or.... but here you can also buy tang as a powder to dissolve. It comes in an "envelope", and you can use the amount you need. One envelope does not weigh much... but of course it all counts...

Annette
Are you saying I can buy it in individual envelopes? If so that is great.

I can buy as I go and make my eletrolyte drink each day. I will only have to carry the other ingredients(which would be in small amounts anyways, for the entire trip).

It is so important to stay hydrated and as good as water is, electrolytes are even more important when walking for such long distances.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hermanita,

Well first, I do not drink Tang my self so I do not know exactly how much is in one envelope... but I guess one envelope contains powder for one liter of water... perhaps 2 liters... so if you need less you can just seal the envelope and safe it for the next day...

Next time I go to the supermarked I'll take a look on how much is in it... - and I'll let you know... this will be tomorrow or saturday... ;-)

Hola Hermanita,

Well it turned out I had to go foodshopping today...

They sell Tang in a box with 3 envelopes of 40 grams each - one envelope contain powder for 1 liter of water. Price... ?? (i forgot to look at the price - but I guess 3 euros.... more or less).

Annette

Re: Under The Milky Way-Rehydrating/Electrolyte Drink

Annette said:
Hola Hermanita,

Well it turned out I had to go foodshopping today...

They sell Tang in a box with 3 envelopes of 40 grams each - one envelope contain powder for 1 liter of water. Price... ?? (i forgot to look at the price - but I guess 3 euros.... more or less).

Annette

Annette
Thank you so much. Don't worry about the price, that isn't important.
The envelopes are just the right size. I can make up a liter at a time. And look for more Tang along the way. I probably will only find it in the bigger cities and town. But, some is better than none.

If anyone is wondering what the heck all this Tang talk is all about, or if you are looking for a good rehydrating/electrolyte drink, check out this link:
http://rita-underthemilkyway.blogspot.c ... rated.html

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Rita, I am not trying to change your mind, but I find the concern of losing electrolytes is greater than the reality. You are walking in a place that will have water and food and other beverages available at most times. Other than a couple of people who bought liter bottles of Aquarius I did not see anyone making rehydrating drinks.
I would consider one if I was dehydrated due to vomiting and diarrhea. And I realize some people are affected in different ways by the loss of salts when they sweat. But it is truly so rare.
I have walked 3 caminos and only carried water. On my first I took Emergen-C at the encouragement of other forum members mainly because the one I bought contained minerals for joint protection. And I would forget to drink it anyway. Brought most of the little envelopes back home.
Might not be worth the weight.
Just a thought
LOVE
Lillian

MermaidLilli said:
Rita, I am not trying to change your mind, but I find the concern of losing electrolytes is greater than the reality. You are walking in a place that will have water and food and other beverages available at most times.

Might not be worth the weight.
Just a thought
LOVE
Lillian

Hi Lillian
Thanks for the suggestion. You are probably so right and I will keep that in mind. But as I have had electrolyte problems in the past, maybe I am being a little over cautious.
Rita

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back